PDA

View Full Version : What Really Happened - Just found this article on DailyPaul

jasonhlasvegas2008
04-27-2008, 10:19 PM
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/47172

Out Classed and Out of Options...

Politics is a never-ending game, which has little to no rules, and the rules that do exist can change at anytime. You can choose to start, or stop playing this game at anytime, but no matter how you play this game it comes down who has the most people who care.

On Saturday April 26th , 2008, in Reno Nevada, the Republican State convention came to order with a set agenda and rigged rules to basically give complete control of the Delegate process to the party. The original rules would have only a set list of people that could be chosen as a whole to represent the state called a slate. These slates were created by a small group of people and were never published, and even as we began the convention were not known.

This was the first attempt to keep complete control of the delegate selection process, but after three hours of explaining how this was not representative of the convention as a body. The convention modified the delegate selection process to allow anyone to run for a national delegate position, and that three would be chosen from each Congressional District and twenty-two from the entire body by each person voting for twenty-two people.

It was lunch at that point in time, giving two hours for the next play to be planned. Upon reconvening from lunch at 2:27pm, no time was wasted to unfurl this plan, which was instead of breaking up into districts to make sure at least three from each one was elected, the party would be kind enough to move around arbitrarily alternates to delegate positions to ensure “a fair distribution”, even better we shouldn't vote for twenty-two people at large because that would take far to much time, but instead vote for only five. Which took anybody with an eighth grade math understanding to know this was intended to divide our vote by four because in order to vote for twenty people you needed four people now instead of one. So this just was obliterated by the convention getting over a 75% rejection vote.

At this time we split into three districts and began to vote on delegates, this only took about an hour and went rather smoothly in district three and one. District two was continually delayed because of a dispute of whether a printed ballot was acceptable or a handwritten one was, somehow handwritten equals easier to handle to the those that ran the voting for district two. After this we came back and began to debate planks on the floor.

It was two hours in the making, the start of which was a person coming from the count room of the 2nd Congressional District of Nevada, which was the last of three districts to be counted. From our count observers in the rooms of Congressional District's 1 and 3, Paul Supporters had won all three delegates spots in District 3 and one Paul supporter in District 1. The counts of these districts took about 30 minutes after voting was completed. The 2nd District was taking very long to complete and no one could understand the delay of more then an hour, information from observers within its count room relayed that Paul Supporters had swept its three delegates as well. This meant that Paul Supporters took 7 out of 9 possible Congressional District delegates to the National Convention.

The person walking from the counting room took a straight line to State Chairwoman Sue Lowden, leaning over and whispering into her ear. After the person walked off Sue sat there for about 30 seconds tapping her foot and then stood up and walked over to Councilman Woodbury who was sitting in front of me, leaning over she said, "If we can break Quorum, can we invalidate this?" After saying this rather loudly and glancing at the expression on my face she quickly quieted down and I was unable to hear the rest of the conversation.

I sat in a dazed confusion for about five minutes trying to figure out what quorum was in this convention of 1347 delegates, which was 674 delegates. Soon after Chairwomen Lowden left, a John McCain staffer, Paul Johnson, came by. I had been gathering signs and information from him all day, and he believed I was a hardcore McCain supporter. He came up to me and got on one knee as if to propose his undying love. He began his conversation with, "They are trying to pull a coup, we are going to leave and quarter the convention." I responded, "Do we even have the numbers, all they need is a couple hundred to keep Quorum?" He answered back, "The powers that be have the numbers, I am just doing what I was told to do by my boss." At this moment I knew that they had lost control of the convention and were desperate. About an hour went by before they finally figured out they did not have enough people to pull off this little stunt.

I watched the party officers directly in front of me huddling up with the parliamentarian and trying to come up with something. Soon after this huddle, the party began to filibuster the convention filling it with videos and speakers over a course of 60 minutes. During this time Sue Lowden began barking at Chairman Bob Beers, and I could clearly see Chairmen Beers not agreeing with what she was telling him. First it was just her talking to him, then after going on and off stage to present the next video or speaker, three people gathered around him, by the fourth time he stepped off the stage, eight people were sounding and pressuring him, which I can only assume was to end the convention, being that was the next thing that happened when he returned to the stage.

We he returned to the stage for the last time, Chairmen Beers ended the convention illegally calling an indefinite recess without a vote of the delegation to do so, at 6 pm. This was not before their first plan of ending the convention was attempted to be put into play be a member that was not informed calling for a Quorum which we would still have had. But Beers interrupted him saying, "I will save you some time", and called the indefinite recess. Later it was claimed to be the end of the contract of the room. But upon request from the Hotel they gladly gave us three more hours for free.

After five second of pure silence, disbelief, and confusion, a once consistently civil and controlled convention was thrown into ten minutes of anarchy, while the party vacated the room out the back doors. Bob Bears attempted to speak with an angry mob with little to no avail before leaving.
After this occurred we attempted to reconvene the meeting but fell 70 people short of a quorum.

This series of events leaves me with the understanding that the opinions and concerns of how Nevada Republicans want our government to work, do not matter. The only concern is that we fuel the inner party through our donations. Am I to understand that the people of Nevada are to have no representation and take marching orders from the Republican National Committee, that is two thousand miles away? To accept whatever they tell us, even if it is to support a man that never came to Nevada or would even agree to a conference call to discuss local positions on things such as Yucca Mountain. We know nothing about his positions that would affect the state in which we are to represent as delegates. When asked to come and talk before the January Caucasus, his Clark County staffer told us that he was not concerned with Nevada and would pick up delegates in May if he needed them. So we as a state are supposed to bow down and support a man who does not support our state?

We must complete a process of debate and discussion until we complete the National Delegate process. Being dictated to, from people two thousand miles away is reminiscent of some of the central causes of the beginning of our great nation. So like a spoiled child the Nevada GOP officers, after being out played and without any other options they just kicked over the table and went home.

Richard Bunce
Las Vegas, NV

TruthAtLast
04-27-2008, 10:34 PM
is this really true? I can't believe what I just read.

mczerone
04-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Thank you for your story. It is always nice to have multiple corroborations!\

And some interesting tidbits in there that I hadn't seen elsewhere.

Thank you again, this is the political news that matters.

jasonhlasvegas2008
04-27-2008, 10:38 PM
I wasn't there, but I know Richard. and he doesn't lie.

IPSecure
04-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Sue sat there for about 30 seconds tapping her foot and then stood up and walked over to Councilman Woodbury who was sitting in front of me, leaning over she said, "If we can break Quorum, can we invalidate this?"

How Ironic:

Bottom line: Lowden doesn’t serve any special-interest groups. She seems to honestly believe that the GOP is a big-tent party. She welcomes the Libertarian side of the party; she welcomes the mainstream conservative side, and the social conservatives. She welcomes the country-club types and the businessmen — they’re all fine with her.

http://www.liberty-watch.com/volume03/issue07/coverstory.php

jasonhlasvegas2008
04-28-2008, 12:00 AM
To be fair to the party leaders....I don't think they have ever interacted with such a massive and highly organized grassroots organization before, with a completely different agenda, and motivated more by ideology than self-interest. It is a completely different dynamic, and I think it scares them.

mczerone
04-28-2008, 12:04 AM
How Ironic:

Bottom line: Lowden doesn’t serve any special-interest groups. She seems to honestly believe that the GOP is a big-tent party. She welcomes the Libertarian side of the party; she welcomes the mainstream conservative side, and the social conservatives. She welcomes the country-club types and the businessmen — they’re all fine with her.

http://www.liberty-watch.com/volume03/issue07/coverstory.php

From your link:

“Nevada only recently became a red state,” she reminds us. “During that whole Paul Laxalt period, we were blue. So this is a new evolution for us to be the dominant party in a historically blue state. I believe passionately that we’re at a time when it’s critical to have a Republican president. I believe in a strong defense. I believe in less government even though that’s not what we have right this minute. I believe in lowering taxes, cutting where you can, looking at the budget and cutting out the waste — all those core principles.”

Bold added.

I read: She's in the pocket of the war machine. She admits that big government is a given. She's talking about 'all those core principles' as though she hasn't internalized any of it - its just a stance she's taken to advance her career.

That's just my opinion.

and:

Still, Lowden has clearly had a galvanizing effect on party loyalists. The effect is not just evident in the newspaper coverage, but also in the way Republicans are eager to meet and greet their party’s presidential candidates. Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani have each appeared in Nevada three times, and coffers are now filling up.

So she's a party loyalist, not a representative of the Republican constituency? Sounds nice.

How many times had Ron visited NV when Mitt and Rudy had visited Three times? This was a Mid-January Issue. At least they had Paul on the cover (though it was "all" inclusive):

http://www.liberty-watch.com/volume03/issue07/issue.jpg

Alawn
04-28-2008, 12:05 AM
This makes me so mad. That guy said it was a coup! This is BS. It would have been a coup if McCain won most of the delegates. Ron Paul beat him in the caucus. He deserves to get more delegates. Why do they have to cheat so much!

mczerone
04-28-2008, 12:08 AM
To be fair to the party leaders....I don't think they have ever interacted with such a massive and highly organized grassroots organization before, with a completely different agenda, and motivated more by ideology than self-interest. It is a completely different dynamic, and I think it scares them.

That's why I won't vote for the "Three Candidates Left." Being POTUS is nothing but a way to (a) advance interests put forth by big money and (b) pad their speaking-career resume.

Ideology will swing into fashion soon, probably followed by another round of politicians that are only good at being politicians, not at making policy.

IPSecure
04-28-2008, 12:10 AM
From your link:

So she's a party loyalist, not a representative of the Republican constituency? Sounds nice.

This is why I am livid:

Sue sat there for about 30 seconds tapping her foot and then stood up and walked over to Councilman Woodbury who was sitting in front of me, leaning over she said, "If we can break Quorum, can we invalidate this?"

Paul Revered
04-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Bump

Conza88
04-28-2008, 12:42 AM

@ the bold. - Excuse me, WTF did you just say?

http://boilingpotusa.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/7665dude-wtf-posters.png

Seriously what the f--k. "To be fair to the party leaders" O-M-F-G! How has anything you mentioned, back that logic up? How has it got anything to do with their deceitful and devious actions? Did you even read what happened? Have you accepted it as reality?

They did everything they could possibly do, to make sure that Ron Paul delegates didn't get through. It had fken SQUAT to do with their ability to deal with the convention, and a large group of people who weren't willing to accept their bullshit. They didn't get their way, so they had a fken cry and made sure that RP delegates couldn't get theres. Are you living in some kind of dream world? I think you're in denial buddy. Denial that they didn't want it too happen. How can any person with some kind of reasoning, subvert this to "not intential" and it was ignorance or stupidity? Yea, it is a fken conspiracy - conspiracy FACT. Nothing theoretical here, first hand accounts of what went down. Geezus fken christ, WAKE UP! </anger at wilful ignorance>

Knightskye
04-28-2008, 01:12 AM
That's ridiculous. What happens now? Does that mean no one gets delegates from Nevada?

libertythor
04-28-2008, 01:16 AM
That's ridiculous. What happens now? Does that mean no one gets delegates from Nevada?

The convention will reconvene in Las Vegas with the SAME DELEGATES. A stall tactic. Evidently the congressional district delegates are already decided. The 22 at large ones are the ones left to decide.

Hopefully the RP state delegates show up in force again.

Knightskye
04-28-2008, 01:52 AM
Hopefully the RP state delegates show up in force again.

They will, and I expect them to be pissed off.

Am I alone in wanting footage or audio of this convention?

constituent
04-28-2008, 06:19 AM

hahahahahah i can't believe i just read that crap.

let's go over it again shall we?

To be fair to the party leaders....I don't think they have ever interacted with such a massive and highly organized grassroots organization before,

to be fair? this excuse would in anyway justify their behavior, please elaborate?

"massive and highly organized grassroots" you're right, all the folks there were in collusion against the established,
a gigantic ron paul conspiracy to hijack the party, right?

all members of the same meetup or something?

it's what you're thinking.

with a completely different agenda, and motivated more by ideology than self-interest. It is a completely different dynamic, and I think it scares them.

completely different? how so? fiscal conservatism perhaps?

"more motivated by ideology than self-interest?"

readers, notice the words used here, "agenda, ideology" this poster speaks of the RP supporters as if they were the terrists.

and.....

they were motivated by their self-interest, a better country through a better president. not "ideology" as you suggest.

Give me liberty
04-28-2008, 06:28 AM
The Current GOP what it seems it wants McCain as there Nomie, but i dont think McCain has any chance of winning in the general election, btw

do you know what his name stands for?

McCain

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=cain&searchmode=none

McCain, McCann, etc., are a contraction of Ir. Mac Cathan "son of Cathan," from Celt. cathan, lit. "warrior," from cath "battle."

So you see, McCain means warrior as in more war.
A warrior wont stop until his last breath, doesnt matter how long it takes.

There another reason not to vote for McCWar>Warrior<

wgadget
04-28-2008, 06:41 AM
The last two paragraphs of the OP really ought to wake up any of the Old Guard-following sheeple at upcoming state conventions. No one, not even old GOP, wants to believe that their efforts are irrelevant, or that their Party determines the outcome without their input. Let them know...They should be pissed.

speciallyblend
04-28-2008, 08:14 AM
anyword on the new date for convention???

syborius
04-28-2008, 10:26 AM
This is what happens when you have twenty years of corruption and wars based on lies, and deception. All these party hacks, operators, and so called leaders have been suckling from the tit of corruption for far too long. The filthy swine will fight tooth and nail not to lose their place at the trough. Not to mention that the voting process, from the primaries to these caucuses has been so completely corrupted that these animals are oblivious to the great harm they are causing their own country. We are witnessing the equivalent of a dying star collapsing under it's own weight; the American political apparatus is engorging itself, quite a spectacle to behold isn't it?

scotto2008
04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
@ the bold. - Excuse me, WTF did you just say?

http://boilingpotusa.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/7665dude-wtf-posters.png

Seriously what the f--k. "To be fair to the party leaders" O-M-F-G! How has anything you mentioned, back that logic up? How has it got anything to do with their deceitful and devious actions? Did you even read what happened? Have you accepted it as reality?
ignorance or stupidity? Yea, it is a fken conspiracy - conspiracy FACT. Nothing theoretical here, first hand accounts of what went down. Geezus fken christ, WAKE UP! </anger at wilful ignorance>

To be fair to Jason... I don't think he meant to say anything inflammatory. Maybe he was just thinking aloud and didn't consider his words carefully. A forum is an appropriate place for that, no?

Lighten up you guys. Have a cup of decaf.

lvp1138
04-28-2008, 11:54 AM
They will, and I expect them to be pissed off.

Am I alone in wanting footage or audio of this convention?

Oh we are pissed... and WE WILL be there. All those I met in Reno are already planning ahead, rearrenging schedules, already starting to get pricing on buses, etc.

I am in Las Vegas. I have already made my house available for 7 to 9 people from Northern Nevada to stay with me. And hundreds more will do the same.

We, Clark County delegates (Las Vegas and southern Nevada), will be there in full force, and we are bringing everyone else from the rest of Nevada here. Buses. We'll chip in for plane tickets. Food. EVERYTHING.

If they think they can derail us, they are wrong. Very wrong.

An organized force is something to not mess around with.

Athan
04-28-2008, 12:16 PM
The folks in Nevada should vote out as many non-Ron Paul Republican candidates as retaliation.

jasonhlasvegas2008
04-28-2008, 12:28 PM
with a completely different agenda, and motivated more by ideology than self-interest. It is a completely different dynamic, and I think it scares them.
completely different? how so? fiscal conservatism perhaps?

"more motivated by ideology than self-interest?"

readers, notice the words used here, "agenda, ideology" this poster speaks of the RP supporters as if they were the terrists.

I am just trying to look at things from the establishement's perspective. The Nevada State GOP was shocked by the strong support of amending the unfair rules, and using a democratic process to send delegates to the national convention. The party insiders complained bitterly of Ron Paul supporters disregarding "custom". I kept hearing them say this "isn't the way we normally do things". Now, this isn't a statement I agree with, I am just relaying the impression that the establishment seemed confused, and scared. I can understand why they overreacted and shut down the convention. What we did on Saturday was unprecedented in our state's Republican Party political history. I should not have used the phrase, 'to be fair'. Because by all evidence I have seen they did shut down the convention to thwart supporters of Ron Paul from participating in the process.

they were motivated by their self-interest, a better country through a better president. not "ideology" as you suggest.

I didn't mean to say anything other than some party leaders and insiders seem to be in it for themselves, not for love of country. The Ron Paul supporters along with hundreds of McCain and Romney supporters voted with us in rejecting the unfair rules. This created a completely different crowd psychology that stands in stark contrast to the way the Nevada State GOP has operated before. It's more of an observation...I'm not really concluding or suggesting anything.

The folks in Nevada should vote out as many non-Ron Paul Republican candidates as retaliation.

All the State GOP needs to do is conduct a fair convention. If they succeed in doing this they will gain the support of the Ron Paul faction for local and state elections. Their behavior at the convention, however, does not bode well for the future.

HOLLYWOOD
04-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Oh we are pissed... and WE WILL be there. All those I met in Reno are already planning ahead, rearrenging schedules, already starting to get pricing on buses, etc.

I am in Las Vegas. I have already made my house available for 7 to 9 people from Northern Nevada to stay with me. And hundreds more will do the same.

We, Clark County delegates (Las Vegas and southern Nevada), will be there in full force, and we are bringing everyone else from the rest of Nevada here. Buses. We'll chip in for plane tickets. Food. EVERYTHING.

If they think they can derail us, they are wrong. Very wrong.

An organized force is something to not mess around with.

Well, We all know what happen with the NV GOP party and their "MIXING-UP THE VOTING PLACES AND TIMES during the CAUCUS.

DO NOT under-estimate the corrupt Nevada GOP party and their "INSIDERS"... they will have some 'Circus Stunts' ready for LAS VEGAS' reconvene.

I hope the media covers this correctly, the GOP, may stack that deck too. I wonder what that Silver-Tongued Devils; Mitt "Manchurian" Romney has sent out in marching orders for McCain support/votes?

NOT ALL IS QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT!

jasonhlasvegas2008
04-28-2008, 02:41 PM
The media is not covering this accurately.

We need to get the message out that State GOP leadership disrupted a Ron Paul sweep by abruptly ending the convention.

Right now I just saw the CNN clip on Ron Paul and the first thing he said was, and I am paraphrasing here, "Hey your supporters just disrupted the Nevada State Convention."

lvp1138
04-28-2008, 03:02 PM
The media is not covering this accurately.

We need to get the message out that State GOP leadership disrupted a Ron Paul sweep by abruptly ending the convention.

Right now I just saw the CNN clip on Ron Paul and the first thing he said was, and I am paraphrasing here, "Hey your supporters just disrupted the Nevada State Convention."

That is correct... the news lady on 106.5 this morning kept repeating "loud ron paul supporters shut down the convention" every 15 minutes. That was her headline.

I emailed in and tried to call in, but well, I couldn't accomplish them to get it corrected...

We are being blamed for this. And it is not our fault that it got delayed.

hawks4ronpaul
04-28-2008, 03:12 PM
That is correct... the news lady on 106.5 this morning kept repeating "loud ron paul supporters shut down the convention" every 15 minutes. That was her headline.

I emailed in and tried to call in, but well, I couldn't accomplish them to get it corrected...

We are being blamed for this. And it is not our fault that it got delayed.

Can we confirm that the party apparatchiks filibustered with videos and speeches to run out the clock?

Were those videos and speeches on the schedule?

The story is that the national party is trying to railroad Nevada Republicans and shove McCain down their throats even though McCain lost to Paul in January, when Nevada voters preferred Ron Paul.

"Framing" the story is why fast press releases matter so much. Be the first to frame the story.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

jasonhlasvegas2008
04-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Can we confirm that the party apparatchiks filibustered with videos and speeches to run out the clock?

Were those videos and speeches on the schedule?

The story is that the national party is trying to railroad Nevada Republicans and shove McCain down their throats even though McCain lost to Paul in January, when Nevada voters preferred Ron Paul.

"Framing" the story is why fast press releases matter so much. Be the first to frame the story.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

Delegates were given a trimmed down agenda. The entire agenda was never distributed. I believe we never got around to approving any agenda whatsoever because the fight for the rules lasted so long.

They had trouble counting the votes for one of the congressional districts. This was the cause for the delay.

The reason why the leadership's excuse is disingenuous is that when the Nevada State GOP leadership followed a policy of "cut and run" and hightailed it out of the convention room Ron Paul supporters were able to negotiate with the Hotel an extension to use the room for 3 more hours. The State GOP made no effort to extend the use of the room.

Also, there was no vote on whether or not the convention should recess indefinitely, and I am told this is not possible under Robert's Rules of Order, and I personally cannot remember anything in the Rules we passed that said we could recess indefinitely without a vote.

At this point about half the room left, and we no longer had a quorum to continue business.

Also, I heard the State GOP had booked the room for the next day, but I cannot confirm this.

Zera
04-28-2008, 04:15 PM
I sincerely hope all Ron Paul supporting delegates get to Las Vegas easily. I know they're way more dedicated than the McCainites, but still. Actually, for that reason, this may give us an upper hand... Anyway, let's hope for the best.

JustBcuz
04-28-2008, 04:17 PM
I sincerely hope all Ron Paul supporting delegates get to Las Vegas easily. I know they're way more dedicated than the McCainites, but still. Actually, for that reason, this may give us an upper hand... Anyway, let's hope for the best.

Just a head's up: Round Two may not be re convening in Las Vegas, but once again in Reno, as per State GOP by-laws.

This is from my email box:

Bob Beers was just on 720am, and stated that the convention will probably be in Reno again per party bylaws. This is by no means final, but we need to start clearing our schedules, and preparing to either help those in the North, or prep for our own travel and lodgings from the south.

I've had several people offer up their rental properties should it be here, and I'm sure the Northern contingient is working on similar accomidations up there.

Again focus on the task, which will be to get EVERY delegate back to the re-convention, ready to get down to business.

Rangeley
04-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Then again, he hasnt shown much regard for the rules up to this point...

agaiziunas
04-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Gonna repeat this in Illinois for the at large delegates. Can't wait.

jabrownie
04-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Why didn't somebody make a motion to call the question and just dispense with the filibustering? Perhaps consider keeping it in the bag o' tricks for your next get together.

speciallyblend
04-29-2008, 05:19 AM
keep up the great work nevada.