PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing conversation with a friend...

Triton
08-21-2007, 08:56 PM
I called a long-time friend who moved to Georgia, and we talked about politics. Granted, he gets most of his news from his local newspaper and from Fox News.

I asked him what he thought of Ron Paul. He said, "My sister asked me that same question the other day. I told her, 'Ron Who'?" He wasn't kidding! This is someone who has been a poll judge for years, and supports Republican candidates.

Without the internet, there are many out there, I fear, who don't even know who he is.

0zzy
08-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Which is sad. He's been in EVERY debate, and they don't know who he is? psh.

DAZ
08-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Most people don't care about the election at this point. I think very few people relative to the pop. at large watch the debates. We just need to keep working.

mdh
08-21-2007, 09:22 PM
I called a long-time friend who moved to Georgia, and we talked about politics. Granted, he gets most of his news from his local newspaper and from Fox News.

I asked him what he thought of Ron Paul. He said, "My sister asked me that same question the other day. I told her, 'Ron Who'?" He wasn't kidding! This is someone who has been a poll judge for years, and supports Republican candidates.

Without the internet, there are many out there, I fear, who don't even know who he is.

But his *sister* did know. That's cool. That's progress.

jb4ronpaul
08-21-2007, 09:51 PM
To be honest I totally tuned out of politics too, I found the process disgusting and all the candidates corrupt and chose not to waste my time. A lot of people may be the same. Not that we are stupid or don't care, politics can seem like such a waste of time given what we typically have to choose from. I want to get the word out to those people there is hope.

constituent
08-22-2007, 07:42 AM
this is a great story.

he hadn't heard of ron paul until his sister told him. now his friend tells him about the candidate, and he recognizes the name. and he's active in politics so he probably comes in contact w/ a relatively large number of like minded people. so now he will be the friend who also tells them.

it can't be stopped now. just keep talking.

Mesogen
08-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Usually when I bring up Ron Paul I get a 'Who?' or a 'I think I heard his name or something.' I start to think they are acting dumb, but they aren't.

I've had to explain who he is and tell people to go check him out on the internet. I guess I'm dumb to assume that most people see the same things I do on the internet. Not so at all. It's amazing how you can see all these people with signs ans stickers and chanting slogans, but then turn around the next day and talk to someone totally oblivious to the whole thing.

And I still don't understand the "it's too early to care" mentality. When I get that, I ask "then how do you decide who to vote for?" There is usually no real answer to that. I'm guessing they base it on hair?

It's really frustrating to come across so many people that (1) do not get it (2) will vote anyway.

Triton
08-22-2007, 09:44 PM
this is a great story.

he hadn't heard of ron paul until his sister told him. now his friend tells him about the candidate, and he recognizes the name. and he's active in politics so he probably comes in contact w/ a relatively large number of like minded people. so now he will be the friend who also tells them.

it can't be stopped now. just keep talking.Unfortunately, he told me last night, "what do you mean, 'unconstitutional'? The government is running as the founders intended". <sigh> This man is a good 20 years older than I, and I thought he knew. I really did!