PDA

View Full Version : State Convention

bkreigh
04-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Just giving everybody a heads up that the Convention coming up this friday and saturday. Hope to see everybody there. Looks like GOP pulled some strings and is having Mitt Romney speak Friday evening. I think because of this the Romney people will be out. It should be very interesting.

Rangeley
04-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Has anyone been trying to get Ron Paul to speak there, too? He was very effective in Nevada, and it looks like he won over many undecideds. I realize it is kind of late at this point, but perhaps this is something we should try and get.

DaveGarber1975
04-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Ron Paul's speech won over a number of undecided state delegates in Nevada. Please get as many Mainers as possible to contact their state party HQ to persuade Maine's GOP leaders to invite Dr. Paul to speak at this convention. Actually, it may be too late now, since the convention is this weekend, but it's worth a shot.

bkreigh
04-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Has anyone been trying to get Ron Paul to speak there, too? He was very effective in Nevada, and it looks like he won over many undecideds. I realize it is kind of late at this point, but perhaps this is something we should try and get.

Talked about this briefly tonight with some people in our meetup group. There are people working their tails off for this to happen. Will it happen though? We dont know. If anything it will be a last minute thing. It doesnt necessarily need to be Ron Paul but somebody with a decent name who can stand up there and talk about his positions.

There is other crap going on up here with somebody that runs this stuff that we are not happy about either. A lot of behind the scenes stuff. Lets just say he has lost some faith in the grassroots and he might be looking out for his political career interests. There are some good people though really working hard trying to pull his slack.

Rangeley
04-28-2008, 10:28 PM
I agree, just having someone up there to talk is better then just letting Romney talk without getting our side out there. I sent emails to both the official campaign and the state leaders, just to help get the idea out.

CGMike
04-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Hopefully I'll get to see all of you up in augusta beginning Thursday night.

and if anyone is looking to stay overnight in the Augusta area, Motel 6 still has $40 rooms avail. The other hotels around the area are in the $95-$160 range due to the convention.

bkreigh
05-01-2008, 05:57 PM
CG yeah hopefully ill see over there as well..

By the way if i remember correctly you are up in the coutny. Were you affected by the flood at all?

CGMike
05-01-2008, 09:28 PM
No I'm down in the big city, Portland. SteveMartin is up in the County. I was hoping to meet him tonight at the pre-convention delegate meeting but he had already left (I didn't show up until 7:30 this evening) I'll be there tomorrow though hovering near the registration table. I'm the head of the Portland delegation so just ask around...most the RP county coordinators know who I am. And if notwell just look for my quote below...I'll be incorporating it into my speech since I'm running for an alternate position to National.

bkreigh
05-01-2008, 09:42 PM
No I'm down in the big city, Portland. SteveMartin is up in the County. I was hoping to meet him tonight at the pre-convention delegate meeting but he had already left (I didn't show up until 7:30 this evening) I'll be there tomorrow though hovering near the registration table. I'm the head of the Portland delegation so just ask around...most the RP county coordinators know who I am. And if notwell just look for my quote below...I'll be incorporating it into my speech since I'm running for an alternate position to National.

Sounds good. I wasnt able to make it tonight. You mind sending me a PM with anything i should for tomorrow? More or less the strategy.

DirtMcGirt
05-03-2008, 12:33 AM
dónde está Steve Martin

Aratus
05-03-2008, 07:52 AM
dude... this guy! not the comedian... the guy who created this thread...
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=125365 this dude!

bkreigh
05-03-2008, 04:29 PM
dude... this guy! not the comedian... the guy who created this thread...
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=125365 this dude!

Yeah i got it. I know CGMIke and Steve Martin were both very active up here. I just forgot who lived where. I didnt feel like searching threads to find it.

bkreigh
05-03-2008, 04:40 PM
As for the Convention it didnt go to well. I think we received only 1 delegate (maybe) but i left before they counted the Alternates. We were organized but so were the McCain folks. They distributed a list just like we did. The sheeple were out. I am not upset about the hard work many people put into the campaingn (Sunny, Lindell, Mike, Martin, and others. I apologize for those that i forgot). I am upset about how many people were at the convention that have no idea of the circumstances our nation faces. There are to many people that have no clue.

We tried to pass many amendments. We were successful on a couple of them regarding taxes. The other 20 or so were all pissed on. The republican party has no care for the Constitution from what i can tell and it is quite disturbing. One thing i noticed is that the people who were running the McCain campaign were holding up red "N" signs or Green "Y" signs. As you can imagine these were used to coach the McCain supports on how to vote. These McCain delegates clearly are blind and can not think for themselves. This was also a kick in the nuts for me.

Well im done talking about it. I wish other states luck at their convention and hopefully the outcome will be different.

thompsonisland
05-03-2008, 04:54 PM
yep, it was sad.

Rangeley
05-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Well, I just want to give a shout out to both CGMike and Steve Martin, both of whom I saw (though I didnt manage to talk to Steve) and voted for when the opportunity arose. Even though our success was limited to the tax amendment for the platform, there was significant support for the other ones as well, albeit not a majority. I was definitely proud of our showing, and proud that so many people were taking the right stances.

And in a strange sort of way, it was inspiring to see just what we were up against. It was a coordinated effort, and definitely was not above misleading information. The committeewoman that was elected was handing out delegate sheets of McCain people to my row, claiming it had everyone that was running. I challenged her on the point and after at first denying it, she eventually admitted it was just McCain delegates and corrected herself... until she was out of earshot, at least.

But rather than being discouraged, I feel that much more motivated to keep up the effort, stay involved, and persevere. Honestly, I think it is pretty darn good we got one national delegate out of it - I dont even know how we pulled it off. There was a seemingly solid voting block against us every time, with very little wiggle room, so to pull that off was no small feat.

thompsonisland
05-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Good point. They were ready for us, and they felt SO sleazy. I knew they would take the list and distribute it as a don't vote, but having the McCainiacs in the aisles telling people which amendments to support was pathetic. Or, rather, it was pathetic that people obeyed them, because obeisance was absolutely what it was.

It was so sad that all those people were just being used as tools, and they didn't realize it. McCain's little movie was horrendous. I would like to see an RP movie that delegates can try to show as future conventions.

bkreigh
05-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Our clip was horrible. Poorly produced. I thought i heard that the one we wanted to show they wouldn't allow. The one showed was a back up. At least it was something. I just wish RP would have talked about the issues.

Aratus
05-04-2008, 07:57 AM
http://www.sunjournal.com/story/263879-3/MaineNews/Establishment_prevails_at_GOP_convention/

at first i thought the topic header by "change" to be a typo, there really is a Snowe
yet not quite a totally frosty cold snap and the above link i got from this thread in the
campaign section is from the posting by "change"...! Our CGMike and SteveMartin took on
the Mitt with his pair of flipflopping centrist gloves off an' elsewhere... things went intense

Aratus
05-04-2008, 07:59 AM
as maine goes, so goes vermont? is mccain going to bus the jeb bush signal crew elsewhere?