PDA

View Full Version : NV GOP violated Roberts Rules at Convention?

Join The Paul Side
04-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Just before the vote for the remaining 22 delegates, the convention chair Bob Beers announced that we were going to recess and we were to resume some other day yet to bet determined. With one click of the gavel, Mr. Beers ran from the room along side all of the committee chairs. This obviously caused quite a commotion with many people yelling for an appeal.

Roberts Rules permits an appeal of the chair’s decision, however Mr. Beers permitted no opportunity for appeal. An appeal if offered certainly would have met the requirement of quorum, however to promote confusion, the GOP had the microphones cut off and turned out the lights. When we were finally able to find a microphone, security came to take it away. This in addition to the darkness made it difficult to maintain order and hard to advise people that they should stay. When the lights finally came back on, we were about 100 people short of convening with a quorum.

http://jasonsouthwell.com/post/32976248#disqus_thread

I'm amazed how these people blatantly break rules so publicly and out in the open the way they do with no shame or no remorse.

If they pull this crap tomorrow, or whenever the convention reconvenes, be quick to rump. From my understanding our people could have rumped yesterday. I guess things happened so quickly that they didn't get a chance to. Next time, be prepared to rump! :D

Dave39168
04-27-2008, 01:22 AM
can you recess without determining the time to reconvene? Can the chair call for a recess without a vote?

OptionsTrader
04-27-2008, 01:23 AM
The Ron Paul people have the majority and therefore have all of the power. The chair has no power if the delegates assert their power.

TER
04-27-2008, 01:26 AM
This is an insult to those GOP's who believe in playing by the rules. I imagine this may even cause some people on the fence to vote for RP delegates when the convention resumes. First McCain disses the state convention, then he makes a mockery of the entire Nevada GOP. He is about to get a lesson in blowback.

OptionsTrader
04-27-2008, 01:27 AM
Apparently, the gods of Roberts Rules are angry.

Reno urged to prepare for worse as earthquakes continue
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080426/D909QLNG0.html

Razmear
04-27-2008, 01:29 AM
If the chair exits without a recess, couldn't they elect a new chair?

pahs1994
04-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Apparently, the gods of Roberts Rules are angry.

Reno urged to prepare for worse as earthquakes continue
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080426/D909QLNG0.html

Lol, indeed they are

acroso
04-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Paul had a majority at the convention?

TER
04-27-2008, 01:32 AM
good night all. Good work to everyone in Nevada. Till tomorrow...

OptionsTrader
04-27-2008, 01:33 AM
Paul had a majority at the convention?

From what I have read, yes. And reportedly, a supermajority (> 2/3) voted to nix the prelaid out plan of having some delegates pre-selected. RP people were dominating, and thus the convention had to be delayed and moved.

pahs1994
04-27-2008, 01:34 AM
I'm not sure but, I thought the one dude said we had about 40% but after Paul spoke it swung to about 2/3

acroso
04-27-2008, 01:35 AM
If you ever manage to get a majority jsut remove the chairman right away.

OptionsTrader
04-27-2008, 01:36 AM
I'm not sure but, I thought the one dude said we had about 40% but after Paul spoke it swung to about 2/3

He said 2/3 were willing to vote for the measure, but he did not say 2/3 were RP people, just sympathetic to the measure.

Join The Paul Side
04-27-2008, 01:44 AM

That should be the plan from now on. No more crooked chairmen. We must instantly remove them from the equation if we have the majority.

OptionsTrader
04-27-2008, 01:46 AM

Precisely.

All of the power.

OptionsTrader
04-27-2008, 01:57 AM
You wouldn't know anything odd occurred if you read Drudge or Google news Elections section. And I am almost certain this will not be on CNN or Fox News or MSNBC tomorrow. If this had been Obama and Clinton, would it be MORE newsworthy? And why? Pisses me off. I know the answers to my rhetorical questions...

acroso
04-27-2008, 02:07 AM
They always seem to be Ok until McCain doesn't get what he wants, then they start cheating and abruptly storm out and declare it's over.

We should get rid of all the chairman regardless just in case they turn out to be crooked, which they usually do.

OptionsTrader
04-27-2008, 02:11 AM
NV GOP motto:

Stick to the rules if the rules work for McCain.

Disregard the rules if the rules do not work for McCain.

RedLightning
04-27-2008, 02:27 AM
So any idea what happens next? Where was Ron Paul when all this was happening? Hopefully the official campaign will be able to help with this.

Rhys
04-27-2008, 02:36 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=112428

this post may help

Jodi
04-27-2008, 06:12 AM
I'm amazed how these people blatantly break rules so publicly and out in the open the way they do with no shame or no remorse.

If they pull this crap tomorrow, or whenever the convention reconvenes, be quick to rump. From my understanding our people could have rumped yesterday. I guess things happened so quickly that they didn't get a chance to. Next time, be prepared to rump! :D

I just realized this is exactly what our government officials in the senate and congress, federal and state do with what We the People want. Here in KS I heard the calls from the people to the state house were 300 to 1 in favor of passing the bill on illegal immigration like the one in OK. Then they basically shredded it and did exactly what they wanted in lieu of the people.

rancher89
04-27-2008, 06:47 AM
I've been calling this sort of thing "Bobs Rules of Disorder"

We've had milder versions, this is absurdly insane. The press is going to eat the gop for lunch.

speciallyblend
04-27-2008, 06:57 AM
I've been calling this sort of thing "Bobs Rules of Disorder"

We've had milder versions, this is absurdly insane. The press is going to eat the gop for lunch.

the press will ignore or report that the gop followed rules,when they broke them... i dotn expect any mdia so if anyone has good media sources for this story let mknow. i dont bet much on msm reporting anything but the quake,so far this is true..... the world will know about the reno quake before they educate people on the gop nv convention,sad but true. pretty pathetic for news eh. all msm should be forced off the air for incompetence and lying period..

Join The Paul Side
04-27-2008, 09:31 AM
They always seem to be Ok until McCain doesn't get what he wants, then they start cheating and abruptly storm out and declare it's over.

We should get rid of all the chairman regardless just in case they turn out to be crooked, which they usually do.

Indeed. Let this be a lesson for us. I think we may have a majority at many state conventions. If so, the first line of business should be to remove the chairman.

No more bullshit! We should have learned our lesson from those chairmen who were being dickheads at county and CD conventions. Now that we know their corruption will follow them at the state conventions, just vote these jerks out fast and proceed from there. :cool:

MozoVote
04-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Indeed. Let this be a lesson for us. I think we may have a majority at many state conventions. If so, the first line of business should be to remove the chairman.

It probably should not be the *first* order of business unless you know you have a supermajority, and the chairman is an obvious tool. If you are in the minority and try this, it will turn the rank and file Repub's against you.

It sounds to me like the RP movement won some friends yesterday because of the NVGOP's dastardly tactics. You need to let them have neough rope to hang themselevs.

TER
04-27-2008, 10:35 AM
It probably should not be the *first* order of business unless you know you have a supermajority, and the chairman is an obvious tool. If you are in the minority and try this, it will turn the rank and file Repub's against you.

It sounds to me like the RP movement won some friends yesterday because of the NVGOP's dastardly tactics. You need to let them have neough rope to hang themselevs.

QFT

In this case, yes, there needs to be a new chairman. This does not necessarily apply to every convention or meeting.

Join The Paul Side
04-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Guess I'm just overly cautious. :rolleyes:

wgadget
04-27-2008, 12:08 PM
You wouldn't know anything odd occurred if you read Drudge or Google news Elections section. And I am almost certain this will not be on CNN or Fox News or MSNBC tomorrow. If this had been Obama and Clinton, would it be MORE newsworthy? And why? Pisses me off. I know the answers to my rhetorical questions...

Tomorrow, April 28, Ron Paul will be doing the talk show circuits. Go check out his schedule at the website. It will be interesting to see if he brings it out into the open....I hope he does.