PDA

View Full Version : My campus experience

Jennifer Reynolds
08-21-2007, 07:42 PM
///

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Fantastic!!! I wish I had more time to help with this kind of thing. Please, please keep it up.

pwnsey
08-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Thank you Jennifer. Did a lot of people show support for his ideas?

I'll be doing this at San Diego State pretty soon.

Spirit of '76
08-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Great work, Jennifer.

It's amazing how detached people can be from the political scene. For some people, if they haven't been told he's a frontrunner by the talking heads, he doesn't even exist.

quickmike
08-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Great work, Jennifer.

It's amazing how detached people can be from the political scene. For some people, if they haven't been told he's a frontrunner by the talking heads, he doesn't even exist.

Id say that MOST people unfortunately.

0zzy
08-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Is it me or is America ignorant about a lot of things? I'm only 17 and I've heard of Ron Paul, they're telling me they NEVER heard of him? I don't understand that at all.

itsnobody
08-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Most people in general have NEVER heard of Ron Paul at all....anytime I talk to anyone they're like "who is Ron Paul? I've never heard of anyone named Ron Paul...."

Jennifer Reynolds
08-21-2007, 08:45 PM
///

RestoreTheRepublic
08-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Is it me or is America ignorant about a lot of things? I'm only 17 and I've heard of Ron Paul, they're telling me they NEVER heard of him? I don't understand that at all.

America is ignorant about a lot of things unfortunately. I read some blog a few days ago where a European mentioned that he met many EUROPEAN STUDENTS that had heard of Ron Paul and admired him. Europeans in general know more about American politics than Americans, and it's a damn shame :(

I think there is even that quote that "American politcs are far too important for Americans" or something like that. It's depressing, at least we know there's some of us out there that know what's going on!

Cowlesy
08-21-2007, 08:46 PM

Know why?

Most people are "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"ing.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Jennifer Reynolds
08-21-2007, 08:50 PM
///

Jennifer Reynolds
08-21-2007, 08:51 PM
///

wbbgjr
08-21-2007, 09:06 PM
I wish we had the money to make 5000 copies of the 7 or 8 articles plus front and back sheets. Plus, we printed on both sides to make the packet smaller. But I was amazed that people really don't throw away articles, but they toss fliers on the ground like they are nothing.

I'm willing to put up some cash to help fund your project.

FSP-Rebel
08-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Well, sadly, most had not heard of him. But a LOT were receptive to him.

I had to move quickly. People were in a huge rush. I made sure I told everyone the law here in AZ, that you have to be a registered Republican to vote for him in the primary and you HAVE to vote for him in the primary - if you like what you read.

For the people who really didn't like that, I told hem, that come election time, if RP hadn't made it, then they would be one more Republican who was leaving the party to vote for someone else... that they thought was cool and then they were willing to change to Republican. But of course I only said that to Independents.

For the geeks, I focused on a free internet and how this guy will keep big brother off your back. For the potheads, I focused on Ron Paul's stance on the drug war. For the Republicans I focused on his conservative qualities. That is when I could tell.

Boys more than 2 to 1 more willing to take article. (But I am a girl, so that might skew results).

Basically I said a few hundred times, take this, read about this guy, if you like him, make sure to register as a republican so you can vote for him in the primaries. No one votes in primaries, so we really have a great shot at coming in under the radar and winning this! Just the students alone on this campus could pull it off if they all voted for this guy.

Most times, I just made it through the first sentence.

Great idea to not have them look official. I love that RP library made them look so pretty, but people were turned off by anything campaign looking. The fact that these were Word docs, and we didn't work for the campaign and had no campaign material with us worked in our favor.

They were much more receptive to a few folks who wanted to change the world, than to a politician who wanted to buy their vote - know what I mean?

We were told once by Campus Police that we had to get a permit. I spent 20 minutes hunting down the right person, while others continued to hand out stuff, only to be told we didn't need a permit. The cop never came back, but he was very grateful when I didn't argue with him and told him I would be happy to do whatever he asked of me. (I think that is why he didn't come back).

Great success. We also had fliers. Those didn't do much. Found a lot on the floor. Not one set of the articles hit the ground.

But I wish we had had more sets of the articles and more hands to give them out. Our meetup coordinator devised a great cover sheet that hit the key issues and really caught people's eyes.

We also should have had a back sheet that gave voting info.
Thanx Jen. I'lll be doing the same when my college starts back up this week

McDermit
08-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Wow, sounds like you did an awesome job. And thanks for all the great info, Jennifer! A lot of that will be really useful.

Which articles were you using?

Dustancostine
08-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Yes can you please email them to me.

Thanks,
Dustan

LibertyEagle
08-21-2007, 10:16 PM
I wish we had the money to make 5000 copies of the 7 or 8 articles plus front and back sheets. Plus, we printed on both sides to make the packet smaller. But I was amazed that people really don't throw away articles, but they toss fliers on the ground like they are nothing.

Jennifer, I'll bet a lot of people would be willing to donate some money for copies to be made. There are a lot of places on the web people have mentioned that print things for a fraction of the price that Kinkos charges. Isn't that where you said you got these printed the first time?

How many pages are we talking about here, total, for one set? Single-sided or duplex?

bc2208
08-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Nice job Jen - keep in mind we spend so much time together that if you convince one person, it might be good for 2-3 more.

I would also like the docs. Thanks!

max
08-21-2007, 10:44 PM
this flyer is a good crash course for college kids

http://www.ronpaulpostcards.com/foundersflyer.html

M.Bellmore
08-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Do you have a link to what you handed out that was successful, including the cover page?

Thanks for the hard work!

= Mark

Jennifer Reynolds
08-22-2007, 01:35 AM
///

Jennifer Reynolds
08-22-2007, 01:37 AM
///

Jennifer Reynolds
08-22-2007, 01:42 AM
///