PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Proposes to Legalize Marijuana - ACT NOW AND CALL CONGRESSMAN!

Magicman
04-26-2008, 11:33 AM
http://a683.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/10/l_d2f6a8362b086831467d10b79516d61a.jpg

Join the protest and support Ron Paul at the March!

Detailed Summary

H.R. 5843 is described as an "Act to Remove Federal Penalties for Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults". The bill has been introduced by US Congressman Barney Frank (D-MA) and co-sponsored by US Presidential candidate Ron Paul (R-TX). If passed, this legislation would legalize the possession, use and non-for-profit of up to 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of Marijuana. Under this legislation, adults who consume Marijuana would no longer face arrest, prison or civil fines.

This bill will not affect federal laws prohibiting the sale of Marijuana for profit, nor the import, export and cultivation of Marijuana. It will also not alter the legal status of Marijuana as a Schedule 1 drug according to the Controlled Substances Act.
Status of the Legislation

Latest Major Action: 4/17/2008: Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, and in addition to the Committee on Energy and Commerce, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned.

asgardshill
04-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Dibs on the snack food concession!

Jeremy
04-26-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't think marijuana should be legal because of marijuana and neither does Ron Paul. I am very much against marijuana. But I am for freedom, so that's why it should be legal. All I'm saying is take the "I am a marijuana user, so I want it to be legal" part out of any debate or whatever... it's really about freedom.

Deborah K
04-26-2008, 11:36 AM
I have no problem with de-criminalizing it, but I don't want it legalized. Then it goes straight into the hands of the FDA, etc. Screw that!

yongrel
04-26-2008, 11:38 AM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/HPM/SM1106~Stoned-Towelie-Posters.jpg

speciallyblend
04-26-2008, 12:03 PM
MARIJUANA is 100% safe to eat,safer then most common foods,there is no reason for marijuana to be illegal ,if your against marijuana ,then your mis-informed. The only thing dangerous about marijuana is smoking it,thats why you dont smoke it and EAT IT, ARGUMENT OVER. if anyone cares to debate your already wrong;) Marijuana is safe to CONSUME as in EAT, DONT SMOKE IT,JUST EAT IT,THEN THERE IS NO ARGUMENT;) 100% SAFE TO EAT,SCIENCE HAS PROVEN THIS MANY TIMES;) no need to smoke it. LEGALIZE ,then allow hemp as well, which would deter outdoor growth when farming industrial hemp;)

Bruno
04-26-2008, 12:57 PM
MARIJUANA is 100% safe to eat,safer then most common foods,there is no reason for marijuana to be illegal ,if your against marijuana ,then your mis-informed. The only thing dangerous about marijuana is smoking it,thats why you dont smoke it and EAT IT, ARGUMENT OVER. if anyone cares to debate your already wrong;) Marijuana is safe to CONSUME as in EAT, DONT SMOKE IT,JUST EAT IT,THEN THERE IS NO ARGUMENT;) 100% SAFE TO EAT,SCIENCE HAS PROVEN THIS MANY TIMES;) no need to smoke it. LEGALIZE ,then allow hemp as well, which would deter outdoor growth when farming industrial hemp;)

+1

Additionally, any false studies claiming marijuana causes lung cancer are outrageous on their face.
Lung cancer causes deaths
Zero marijuana deaths in 5,000 year history
= marijuana does not cause lung cancer.

It also does not cause brain damage, either, which is another false claim.
In the late 80's there was an ad run by the Partnership for a Drug-Free America (who gets 99% of their financing from the competing special interests of the tobacco, paper, pharmacuetical, and alcohol companies) where a 14 year old boy's brain waves were shown after smoking marijuana. Only problem - it was a lie. The boy was in a coma and they had to pull the add after doctors who knew better complained.

I've been to Amsterdam many times, and although their society is not perfect either, their decriminalization of marijuana has proven that if you take away the sexy appeal of illegality and put it out in the open, it can be accepted as easily as offering your neighbor a beer over the backyard grill (beer causing many times more deaths than ever attributed to a marijuana smoker).

When drugs are illegal, you have to purchase them from sometimes unsavory characters, who often sell harmful drugs as well. Therefore, many young people are exposed to hard drugs through their original purpose of trying to secure a small bag of marijuana. Amsterdam has worked to elimate that by legal purchase through hundreds of safe coffee shop - a system that works very well. Even the cops in Amsterdam have their own smoke shop right next to a precinct station - its called Hill Street Blues.

The Gateway Drug theory has been long since debunked, though still taught in Dare programs. To say that anything you do might lead to something else you do and therefore is the reason you did it is just ridiculous. If that were true, then my experience of spinning myself in circles as a five year old to enjoy the dizzy feeling is actually the reason I tried other drugs as an adult.

One of the more recent "evils" of marijuana claimed by the propaganda ministers has been "Demotivational Syndrome". First of all, this proposes that it should be wrong and therefore illegal to be temporarily demotivated ( I assume therefore not out earning money and paying taxes for the fascist state?). If we accept this theory, then all other demotivational acts should be illegal. I propose Television as the first ban to follow suit. Next should be all sports, taking naps in the afternoon, reading a fiction book, a walk in the park, daydreaming...etc. You get the idea.

There is absolutely no legitimate reason that marijuana should be illegal. And for anyone that believes in the shadowy underworkings of the CFR, Bilderbergs, Skull & Bones, etc., you can be damned sure that the same type of conspiracy occured to make marijuana illegal in the first place, and continues to suppress it to this very day.

Pharm companies would lose between 25-40% of profits if people could smoke their medicine (or eat it, as suggested above). Paper companies that invest in timber industries would lose their investments if hemp were produced. Alcohol manufacturers would stand to lose, because, as many of casually smoking friends have said, "I'd much rather be legally smoking right now than paying all this money for a hangover in the morning."

The top DEA law judge, in 1988, I believe, after two years of exhaustive study trying to prove why it should remain illegal said, "Marijuana is safer for human consumption than sugar." Ban marijuana only after you ban sugar, IMHO.

Working Poor
04-26-2008, 01:00 PM
I totally believe hemp ought to be legal there are so many uses for it including fuel, which could pull us out of our dependence on foreign oil....

and I don't believe people should be in prison because the like to or, need to use marijuana

Gadsden Flag
04-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Right.

For some reason, the legalization advocates always start romanticizing about how good it is for your health, etc etc, and how everyone ought to use it.

If they'd take a more philosophical approach and realize that it is more just about personal liberty then I think they'd get a lot farther with more people.

Bruno
04-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Right.

For some reason, the legalization advocates always start romanticizing about how good it is for your health, etc etc, and how everyone ought to use it.

If they'd take a more philosophical approach and realize that it is more just about personal liberty then I think they'd get a lot farther with more people.

Good point regarding a more successful approach.

I do agree, however, that many people should use it at least occasionally in place of their other, much more harmful legal drugs such as Paxil, Darvacet, OxyContin, etc. I have a friend who became hooked on Oxy and had to go to treatment for it. He used it for backpain. He returned to smoking herb, and although it does not remove the pain, it is not physically addictive and he is able to ease his pain and sleep much, much better at night.

G-Wohl
04-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Right.

Why not say both?

They're both true.

speciallyblend
04-26-2008, 01:27 PM
+1

Additionally, any false studies claiming marijuana causes lung cancer are outrageous on their face.
Lung cancer causes deaths
Zero marijuana deaths in 5,000 year history
= marijuana does not cause lung cancer.

It also does not cause brain damage, either, which is another false claim.
In the late 80's there was an ad run by the Partnership for a Drug-Free America (who gets 99% of their financing from the competing special interests of the tobacco, paper, pharmacuetical, and alcohol companies) where a 14 year old boy's brain waves were shown after smoking marijuana. Only problem - it was a lie. The boy was in a coma and they had to pull the add after doctors who knew better complained.

I've been to Amsterdam many times, and although their society is not perfect either, their decriminalization of marijuana has proven that if you take away the sexy appeal of illegality and put it out in the open, it can be accepted as easily as offering your neighbor a beer over the backyard grill (beer causing many times more deaths than ever attributed to a marijuana smoker).

When drugs are illegal, you have to purchase them from sometimes unsavory characters, who often sell harmful drugs as well. Therefore, many young people are exposed to hard drugs through their original purpose of trying to secure a small bag of marijuana. Amsterdam has worked to elimate that by legal purchase through hundreds of safe coffee shop - a system that works very well. Even the cops in Amsterdam have their own smoke shop right next to a precinct station - its called Hill Street Blues.

The Gateway Drug theory has been long since debunked, though still taught in Dare programs. To say that anything you do might lead to something else you do and therefore is the reason you did it is just ridiculous. If that were true, then my experience of spinning myself in circles as a five year old to enjoy the dizzy feeling is actually the reason I tried other drugs as an adult.

One of the more recent "evils" of marijuana claimed by the propaganda ministers has been "Demotivational Syndrome". First of all, this proposes that it should be wrong and therefore illegal to be temporarily demotivated ( I assume therefore not out earning money and paying taxes for the fascist state?). If we accept this theory, then all other demotivational acts should be illegal. I propose Television as the first ban to follow suit. Next should be all sports, taking naps in the afternoon, reading a fiction book, a walk in the park, daydreaming...etc. You get the idea.

There is absolutely no legitimate reason that marijuana should be illegal. And for anyone that believes in the shadowy underworkings of the CFR, Bilderbergs, Skull & Bones, etc., you can be damned sure that the same type of conspiracy occured to make marijuana illegal in the first place, and continues to suppress it to this very day.

Pharm companies would lose between 25-40% of profits if people could smoke their medicine (or eat it, as suggested above). Paper companies that invest in timber industries would lose their investments if hemp were produced. Alcohol manufacturers would stand to lose, because, as many of casually smoking friends have said, "I'd much rather be legally smoking right now than paying all this money for a hangover in the morning."

The top DEA law judge, in 1988, I believe, after two years of exhaustive study trying to prove why it should remain illegal said, "Marijuana is safer for human consumption than sugar." Ban marijuana only after you ban sugar, IMHO.

+1

Magicman
04-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Right.

Not just that but so many activists are willing to parade in the street but not wiling to actually create action such as getting congress or politicians or doing their research to find it.

I think their just happy there at a parade. What is ironic is many of these people smoke alot but would diss Ron Paul and support Obama yet Paul is much more comparable to the type of civil rights they take for granted or lifestyle and freedoms they wish to live.

I sometimes wonder what their real agenda is for liking Obama it just seems that most of his supporters are dishonest and liking him for superficial reasons and cannot really define his policies crystal clear.

Lucille
04-26-2008, 01:42 PM
There was a Drug War back-and-forth between Reason magazine's Jacob Sullum and attorney Charles 'Cully' Stimson (http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/sunday/commentary/la-op-sullum-stimson25apr25,0,7610584.story) in the LA Times this week. (The link is only to the last one, but you can access the other four debates from there.)

Showtime (http://www.sho.com/site/schedules/product_page.do?seriesid=0&episodeid=131464) is also rerunning American Drug War this Monday.

Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5am_VXd2ik)

torchbearer
04-26-2008, 01:44 PM
I have no problem with de-criminalizing it, but I don't want it legalized. Then it goes straight into the hands of the FDA, etc. Screw that!

FDA can't regulate natural supplements.
Marijuana, would fit under the natural supplement category. It's not a drug. Its a plant.

UnReconstructed
04-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Don't forget fuel. Hemp is a lot more productive for ethanol than anything else.

DealzOnWheelz
04-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Hemp produces 3x more ethanol than corn and is twice as easy to maintain and can be grown right next to corn because it grows in soil with the same pH levels

plus over 50,000 products can be made from hemp/marijuanna which would create jobs and stimulate the economy

instead of putting food(corn) in gas tanks we can put hemp in gas tanks

DFF
04-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Writing representative Ted Poe an E-Mail as we speak...

Gadsden Flag
04-26-2008, 02:30 PM
You can find out how to contact your congress-person here. (https://forms.house.gov/wyr/welcome.shtml)

torchbearer
04-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Writing representative Ted Poe an E-Mail as we speak...

would you mind posting your email here as a sample letter?

torchbearer
04-26-2008, 02:33 PM
also, does anyone know of a site that has everyone's U.S. reps info?
I remember months ago someone posted a website, something like a moveon.org that already had a database setup.
We used it for our own purposes... it saved us time.
Anyone remember what site that was?

Bruno
04-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Not just that but so many activists are willing to parade in the street but not wiling to actually create action such as getting congress or politicians or doing their research to find it.

I think their just happy there at a parade. What is ironic is many of these people smoke alot but would diss Ron Paul and support Obama yet Paul is much more comparable to the type of civil rights they take for granted or lifestyle and freedoms they wish to live.

I sometimes wonder what their real agenda is for liking Obama it just seems that most of his supporters are dishonest and liking him for superficial reasons and cannot really define his policies crystal clear.

Magicman - One reason may be thathave there is the stigma that is associated with it, and the illegality as well. To be a marijuana activist of any kind, much less one that may have a family with kids in school and is trying to run for public office, you are really sticking your neck out. You could be ostracized by parents, schools, your children could be made fun of, and you could risk prosecution. All because of the illegality of the substance, not because of the intrinsic harm it causes when you use it.

I met the head of Iowa Norml many years ago. He was quite a guy - old hippy busted for smuggling 20 tons, yes, 20 tons into the U.S. They got him for conspriacy. Through a tecnical glictch, he got paroled early after 5 years, and dedicated his life to the decriminalization of marijuana. He never smoked again for fear that his outspokenness might land him in jail for good for smoking a joint as part of a police raid.

There are many activists out there, like those in Norml, High Times, etc. that have worked for decades in many arenas to try to lesson the impact of this failed Drug War, i.e. War on Americans. It's just not too much of a risk for many to "out" themselves.

Heck, look at how Paul supporters have been marginalized themselves. Now imagine it was illegal to support Ron Paul (which, by the sounds of some bylaw changes by the neocons at conventions, it almost has become). That might help explain the motivations of some.

Additoinlly, regarding study, the DEA has made it illegal or impossible to study marijuana for the last 40 years, since a study showed that it should be made legal and was harmless. Wrong answer, I guess.

Recently, the University of Iowa announced a program for adults to smoke to test the effects. It's surrounded in controversy, of course.

http://www.kcci.com/news/15868743/detail.htm

Being able to injest your body with a substance that you enjoy without causing harm to others is at the very core of individual freedom and personal liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Our own forefathers grew it and may have smoked it. They certainly didn't feel it was a devil-weed.

Incidently, I never had a love-fest for Reagan or his wife for their enormous escalation of the War on Drugs and how failed it was and spurred on the crack epidemic and the police state we live in now as a result. Americans don't realize that the Drug War was only a way to put cops on the streets, allow police to bash in doors wearing combat gear, and desensitize people to a police state.

Deborah K
04-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Marijuana, would fit under the natural supplement category. It's not a drug. Its a plant.

If you legalize marijuana you'll be handing it over to the gov't to regulate, and if you think they're not going to consider it a drug, then you would be mistaken. It is a drug AND a plant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)

Deborah K
04-26-2008, 03:09 PM
also, does anyone know of a site that has everyone's U.S. reps info?
I remember months ago someone posted a website, something like a moveon.org that already had a database setup.
We used it for our own purposes... it saved us time.
Anyone remember what site that was?

http://house.ontheissues.org/House.htm

Deborah K
04-26-2008, 03:12 PM
I can't believe you people want more government regulation!! You should be asking for decriminilization, NOT legalization. If they take it over, they'll just add more shit to it like they did with tobacco and screw our health up, regulate the hell out it. Come on! Use your heads!

torchbearer
04-26-2008, 03:16 PM
I can't believe you people want more government regulation!! You should be asking for decriminilization, NOT legalization. If they take it over, they'll just add more shit to it like they did with tobacco and screw our health up, regulate the hell out it. Come on! Use your heads!

How about grow your own?
Do you know what crap is in the black market shit?
People are probably smoking pesticides with the street stuff.

The idea is... it shouldn't be illegal in anyway.
Thus, you could grow your own medicine. (big pharma doesn't want this)

Your argument doesn't make any sense. With your argument, people are still harassed by law enforcement, and law enforcement will still be viewed as the enemy.
If you don't understand how that dynamic works, I will take the time to try and explain it to you. Though i'd rather skip the teaching session.

torchbearer
04-26-2008, 03:18 PM
http://house.ontheissues.org/House.htm

nice site. not the ony i saw before, but just as useful!@

ronpaulhawaii
04-26-2008, 03:22 PM
If you legalize marijuana you'll be handing it over to the gov't to regulate, and if you think they're not going to consider it a drug, then you would be mistaken. It is a drug AND a plant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)

Unfortunately, the regulation genie was let out of the bottle when they first made it illegal. Anyway, I think, if we get at the root of the disease in DC, problematic regulations like this will wither away.

RP on "Sex and Drugs", (but not rock and roll):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6a9549ZeqQ

Deborah K
04-26-2008, 03:30 PM
How about grow your own?
Do you know what crap is in the black market shit?
People are probably smoking pesticides with the street stuff.

The idea is... it shouldn't be illegal in anyway.
Thus, you could grow your own medicine. (big pharma doesn't want this)

Your argument doesn't make any sense. With your argument, people are still harassed by law enforcement, and law enforcement will still be viewed as the enemy.
If you don't understand how that dynamic works, I will take the time to try and explain it to you. Though i'd rather skip the teaching session.

As the word itself indicates, decriminalization involves freeing the drug user/possessor from criminal status, and limits the punishment for drug possession (under a certain amount) to a citation and minimal fine. As passed in eleven U.S. states (Alaska, Oregon, Colorado, California, New York, Nebraska, Maine, Mississippi, Ohio, Minnesota, and North Carolina), decriminalization maintains the felony status of cultivating, distributing, and trafficking marijuana, but eliminates the incarceration of possessors of small amounts of drug for personal use.'

And don't worry, I'm not interested in a lesson. I just have a different opinion about it than you do. I want the gov't out of my life, not further into it.

amy31416
04-26-2008, 03:31 PM
I always thought it would be kinda neat if every pothead who picks the seeds out of their stuff would save the seeds and covertly plant them everywhere they could think of that wasn't private property.

Not that I'd promote anything like that though. :) Personally it's not for me.

torchbearer
04-26-2008, 03:33 PM
As the word itself indicates, decriminalization involves freeing the drug user/possessor from criminal status, and limits the punishment for drug possession (under a certain amount) to a citation and minimal fine. As passed in eleven U.S. states (Alaska, Oregon, Colorado, California, New York, Nebraska, Maine, Mississippi, Ohio, Minnesota, and North Carolina), decriminalization maintains the felony status of cultivating, distributing, and trafficking marijuana, but eliminates the incarceration of possessors of small amounts of drug for personal use.'

And don't worry, I'm not interested in a lesson. I just have a different opinion about it than you do. I want the gov't out of my life, not further into it.

And a citation and possible arrest is the government getting out of your life? ok. that makes sense. :rolleyes:

Gadsden Flag
04-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Unfortunately, the regulation genie was let out of the bottle when they first made it illegal. Anyway, I think, if we get at the root of the disease in DC, problematic regulations like this will wither away.

RP on "Sex and Drugs", (but not rock and roll):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6a9549ZeqQ

That is a good interview. Why is it called a 'banned interview', though? There's nothing bad about it, really.

torchbearer
04-26-2008, 03:50 PM
That is a good interview. Why is it called a 'banned interview', though? There's nothing bad about it, really.

They filmed the interview, then the top execs decide to can it. So it never aired on tv, just release to us on the internet.

Deborah K
04-26-2008, 04:08 PM
And a citation and possible arrest is the government getting out of your life? ok. that makes sense. :rolleyes:

What part of decriminalization don't you get?!

torchbearer
04-26-2008, 04:23 PM
What part of decriminalization don't you get?!

It means that you're still a criminal if you do it just not as much punishment as before.

Melissa
04-26-2008, 04:27 PM
It means that you're still a criminal if you do it just not as much punishment as before.

I agree it should be legal all the way!!!

Deborah K
04-26-2008, 04:37 PM

Huh?????????????????????? DE as in DE-CRIMINAL - IZE!!!

Arklatex
04-26-2008, 04:47 PM
It'll be interesting to see where the others stand on this bill, especially Hilrod and Obama. My guess is they'll put on the front of support but when it comes down to they'll avoid it, likethe good professional politicans they are. :rolleyes:

BTW I think Deborah K is baked.

Knightskye
04-26-2008, 04:53 PM
So, you can't buy it from a dealer, but Paul wants to make it so patients can have it? I don't have a problem with that, I'm just trying to figure it out.

But if you don't get caught buying the stuff, possessing and/or using it isn't against the law. Interesting.

Liberty Rebellion
04-26-2008, 04:58 PM

The FDA might not, but CODEX will....

http://www.codexalimentarius.net/web/index_en.jsp#

Here's a 40 minute video going over what the future holds once CODEX is in place:
Nutricide - Criminalizing Natural Health, Vitamins, and Herbs
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5266884912495233634&q=codex&ei=P7MTSJjxLZP44gLjwpDpBA&hl=en

Joseph Hart
04-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Right.

And you know for sure everyone not ought to use it? Many facts to prove otherwise. I just dont stand on either side of the argument. It helps me for sure but if you cannot afford medications, then this is definitely something to look at. Ofcourse its personal liberty but I believe the direction should be that of living not dying or suffering.

LibertiORDeth
04-26-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't think marijuana should be legal because of marijuana and neither does Ron Paul. I am very much against marijuana. But I am for freedom, so that's why it should be legal. All I'm saying is take the "I am a marijuana user, so I want it to be legal" part out of any debate or whatever... it's really about freedom.

Ditto.

CurtisLow
04-26-2008, 05:29 PM
AS FRANK PREPARES MARIJUANA BILL, STATES MAKE OWN EFFORTS

WASHINGTON -- Proponents of U.S. Rep. Barney Frank's proposal to legalize small amounts of marijuana are pointing to efforts in some states -- including Massachusetts -- to decriminalize the drug as evidence of public support for Rep. Frank's plan.

Rep. Frank, D-Mass., said recently that he will introduce two bills, one that would decriminalize possession of less than 100 grams -- or 3.5 ounces -- of marijuana and another that would grant protection to states that decide to allow medicinal use of marijuana.

"The public is now ready for this," Rep. Frank said in a telephone interview. "I have long thought it was foolish to have these laws on the books, but now as I look at the public opinion, it's clear that this is wanted."

Rep. Frank said that although he does not support marijuana use, he believes that adults should be able to consume small amounts without facing criminal penalties. He said prosecution of marijuana charges costs federal law enforcement agencies time and resources. Rep. Frank, who said he has no experience with marijuana, added, "I think marijuana is less harmful than alcohol."

As Rep. Frank tries to drum up support for his bill in Congress, the Massachusetts Legislature is considering an initiative to decriminalize possession of an ounce or less of marijuana. A person caught with an ounce or less would be fined but would not be charged with a criminal offense, which appears on employer background checks and is a disqualifying factor for receiving certain government benefits, such as subsidized housing and student financial aid.

If the state Legislature does not act on the initiative by May 6, supporters have until June 18 to get 11,000 signatures on a petition to put the initiative on the ballot in November. If they succeed, it would require a majority vote to pass.

Whitney A. Taylor, campaign manager for the Committee for Sensible Marijuana Policy, which drafted the Massachusetts initiative, said she supports Rep. Frank's proposal.

"We are very excited that Congressman Frank understands the need for more sensible and sound marijuana policies," Ms. Taylor said. "The policies in Massachusetts do more harm than good, and I think the congressman realizes that on a federal level, as well."

State Sen. Patricia D. Jehlen, D-Medford, is sponsoring her own bill that would decriminalize possessing an ounce or less of marijuana.

"I'm not saying it's OK, but it's not a criminal offense," she said. "It's a civil offense, but you don't get a criminal record and you don't use up court resources."

State Rep. Martin J. Walsh, D-Dorchester, who has led the opposition to marijuana decriminalization in Massachusetts, said he would instead favor adjusting laws for youths using alcohol and marijuana in order to protect their permanent records.

"People make mistakes," Rep. Walsh said. "I don't agree with them being penalized for an irresponsible decision."

Since 1973, 12 states, including Maine, have decriminalized marijuana in some form. A bill that would decriminalize possession of a quarter-ounce of marijuana passed the New Hampshire House, although the governor and Senate president have vowed to defeat it.

"Almost half of the ( U.S. ) population lives in states that have done this sort of thing," said Bill Downing, president of the Massachusetts Cannabis Reform Coalition. "Those states saved millions of dollars in law enforcement and marijuana usage rates did not go up as a result."

Allen St. Pierre, executive director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, pointed to those 12 states as proof of support for reforming drug laws. Mr. St. Pierre said there is widespread public support for decriminalizing marijuana and allowing for its medicinal use, although many still oppose its full legalization.

Americans are able to distinguish between decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana and the complete legalization of marijuana, making it like alcohol and tobacco, Mr. St. Pierre said.

Tom Riley, spokesman for the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, said his agency would "oppose any changes that would make dangerous, addictive drugs widely available."

"Common sense shows that when you make something more available, people will use it," he said.

Mr. Riley said that proponents of marijuana decriminalization are "using medical marijuana as a back-door solution to legalization," and that marijuana is a more harmful drug than people realize. He said patients using medicinal marijuana are being used to invoke public sympathy.

"The state-level passage has been playing on people's good wills more than based on science," Mr. Riley said. "They go through the ballot process rather than the scientific process."

For the past 10 years, Rep. Frank has unsuccessfully filed legislation during each two-year congressional term to loosen marijuana laws. He has filed bills that would allow the unrestricted medicinal use of marijuana in states that have passed such laws, and he also has filed bills -- one as recently as January -- to repeal a law that prohibits college students who were convicted of drug offenses from receiving financial aid. None of the bills has made it onto the House floor for debate.

U.S. Sen. Christopher J. Dodd, D-Conn., filed legislation in the Senate last month that would allow judges to decide whether students who were convicted of drug offenses can keep their financial aid.

Tom Angell, spokesman for Students for Sensible Drug Policy, a Washington-based lobbying group seeking to decriminalize marijuana, said more than 200,000 college students have lost financial aid in the past 10 years because of drug convictions.

Although Mr. Angell would not say whether he would support Rep. Frank's legislation until he sees the details of his proposal, he said he believes passing a law to reduce penalties for marijuana will "show a lot of momentum for reforming punitive drug policies."

"Congress will be on the record saying it doesn't make sense to punish people for what they're putting into their own body," Mr. Angell said.

Mr. St. Pierre said Rep. Frank's proposal does not promote the use of marijuana but instead encourages people who use it to consume the drug within reasonable limits.

"It will build consistency into drug policy that if you use something like cannabis, just like alcohol, you should largely be punished for the abuse of the substance, not the use of it," Mr. St. Pierre said.

"We all know there's a difference between use of alcohol and alcohol abuse."

http://www.mapinc.org/norml/v08/n363/a02.htm

==========================

Washington, DC: Representative Ron Paul (R-TX) introduced H.R. 5842, the “Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act,”

Federal Medical Marijuana Bill Introduced by Rep. Ron Paul

Washington, DC: Representative Ron Paul (R-TX) introduced H.R. 5842, the “Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act,” earlier today. This bill would make federal authorities respect states' current laws on medicinal cannabis and end DEA raids on facilities distributing medical marijuana legally under state law.

Representative Paul, whose presidential campaign prominently featured the ending of the drug war as a platform plank, was joined by Representative Barney Frank (D-MA) in sponsoring this bill.

Gadsden Flag
04-26-2008, 06:03 PM
And you know for sure everyone not ought to use it? Many facts to prove otherwise.

I didn't say anything about my own views on it. I was just commenting on what I percieve as a shortcoming in the argument of most legalization advocates.

Greenskin
04-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Legalize Marijuana

What a glorious day it will be to buy a pack of joints at the gas station.

Bruno
04-26-2008, 07:58 PM
:D I think you just dated yourself. Nobody says joints or gas station anymore. :D

It sure would, though! For a smoker, it is truly a liberating, free, feeling to be able to exercise that right in a coffee shop like in Amsterdam. Being there and experiencing that is the most free I have felt as a human being - and it wasn't even my home country.

It's sad how we talk so much of freedom as a nation and don't realize how few freedoms we have left.

amonasro
04-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Legalize Marijuana

What a glorious day it will be to buy a pack of joints at the gas station.

Absolutely. And you will have a choice of so many different strains and varieties. Most people think there is only one kind, when in fact there are hundreds with effects ranging from relaxing, narcotic pain killers to heart-pounding psychedelic and everything in between. Not to mention all the different kinds of hash to choose from (which is just the compressed trichomes of the plant).

Huge business would spring up around it, especially in a free market. There'd be more breeding, more specialization and more healthy lungs. Suddenly the gangs in Columbia and Mexico who import crappy brickweed would be out of jobs. The black market would be completely eliminated.

tomveil
04-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Huge business would spring up around it, especially in a free market. There'd be more breeding, more specialization and more healthy lungs. Suddenly the gangs in Columbia and Mexico who import crappy brickweed would be out of jobs. The black market would be completely eliminated.

But then how would we justify the war on drugs? :(

ThePieSwindler
04-27-2008, 01:35 AM
Should definately just end the war on drugs and decriminalize everything. Prohibition does not work - the "oh, well we dont want people going around doing heroin everywhere!" arguement is bullshit, because the reason people dont do heroin is because its harmful, not because its illegal. Making it illegal really just adds a level of violence. Huffing paint is perfectly legal... and worse for you than pretty much any drug out there, in terms of immedate impact and physical damage. It certainly isnt the law that keeps heroin away from families.

However, since thisll never happen, from a practical standpoint, at least legalize or decrim drugs that should never have been made illegal in the first place, like LSD and psilocybin mushrooms. Though the mental/psychological effects are incredibly powerful, there is very little physical damage done, and dependancy/addiction is a non-issue. And i'm biased - LSD is by far the most mindblowingly inspirational, powerful, fantastic mindtrip ever.

But yea, lets get the greens decrimed first, at least ;)

sratiug
04-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Howard’s no dope on marijuana
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
Apr 25, 10:38 pm EDT

Buzz Up PrintMore From Adrian WojnarowskiTime for Kidd, Mavericks to panic Apr 23, 2008 Paul trumps experience in playoff debut Apr 20, 2008
Why yes, there were suggestions that Avery Johnson was losing his Dallas Mavericks, including the struggling Josh Howard. No more. The Mavs aren’t just listening to the coach, they’re reading him, too.

The trouble is, it appears Howard never made it past the title of Johnson’s new book, “Aspire Higher.”

In perhaps the most stunningly honest, if ill-fated, response to a question in a long, long time in the NBA, Howard said Friday – of all places – on Michael Irvin’s radio show, that yes, smoking marijuana was a part of his and his peers’ summer vacations.

Surprise, surprise.

ADVERTISEMENT

” … What I was stating was just [in response to] a random question [the Morning News] asked me about the marijuana use,” Howard said. “I just let him know that most of the players in the league use marijuana, and I have and do partake in smoking weed in the offseason sometimes and that’s my personal choice and my personal opinion. But I don’t think that’s stopping me from doing my job.”

Well, this was wonderful timing for the beleaguered Mavs and surging NBA. Dallas was fighting to stay alive in its Western Conference playoff series with New Orleans, trailing 2-0 before winning Friday night’s Game 3. No Mavs had struggled worse than Howard and Jerry Stackhouse in this series, and together they still found a way to deepen the drama around Dallas.

Stackhouse ripped New Orleans coach Byron Scott, calling him “a sucker,” but it was Howard’s stunning honesty that promises to be a story that won’t go away in these playoffs, even if the Mavs do. So far, NBA commissioner David Stern had been blessed with star power, drama and intrigue in these playoffs, and Howard sent it, well, up in smoke.

Whatever Howard’s take, he didn’t need to breathe life into a week-old newspaper story that no one noticed by volunteering to on the radio and make matters worse within hours of Game 3. Of course, one of ESPN’s NBA house organs was calling the game, chastising Howard for dragging other NBA players into the story.

Well, guess what: Howard knows the deal. It is what it is. He’ll be ripped for doing so, but he was honest. The timing was a mistake, yes, but telling the truth never is. Apparently that goes against NBA-sanctioned announcers playing make-believe in their television and radio work on the network.

“We don’t comment on any specifics related to our anti-drug program,” NBA spokesman Tim Frank said Friday night.

NBA players are tested throughout training camp and the regular season, but there are no suspensions and no public acknowledgment of positive marijuana tests until a player’s third positive. With harder drugs, you get popped right away. The NBA probably can’t suspend Howard, 27, but the league conceivably could drag him into a league-sponsored drug education program.

Back in January, few noticed when the Indiana Pacers’ David Harrison, a mildly talented 7-footer, was suspended for five games for violating the league’s substance abuse program and reacted in a less than shame-on-me way.

“Is that bad?” Harrison wondered. “That’s the question I really want people to ask themselves sometimes. Following rules blindly doesn’t mean you’re right just by following those rules. There needs to be a just rule. I mean, a long time ago George Washington sat around, didn’t want to pay taxes to the crown … and we broke that rule and we have America today. You know, if we would’ve lost that war, George Washington would be Benedict Arnold.”

Listen, this is a debate a lot of Americans want to have on the legality, the ethics, of marijuana use. Only, athletes aren’t allowed to be part of that discussion. You know the drill: What will the kids think? And there’s truth there. For a league that is constantly fighting issues related to racial stereotypes, Stern understands that whatever intelligent conversation that someone else might want to have on the issue, it is suicidal for his sport.

Along with his suspension, this waxing of philosophy on Harrison’s part probably will make it tougher for him to find work this offseason. Yet Josh Howard isn’t David Harrison. He’s a borderline All-Star in the NBA. He’s a pretty popular player. To his credit, Howard didn’t insist that he was misquoted, or burned, or taken out of context. Yes, he said it. Maybe no one wants to hear that there’s marijuana use in the NBA – never mind society – but someone asked and Josh Howard answered.

“I was raised on being truthful and honest with myself and my family, so I can say it with no problems and go out there and perform to the best of my abilities (Friday) and not even think about it.”

Maybe this sounds crazy to people today, but in its own way, that’s professionalism.

phree
04-28-2008, 09:36 AM

I'm not going to read this entire thread which has probably become a debate about the presumed evils/benefits of marijuana. I just wanted to point out that stormcommander's post above reads like it was written by a stoned person.

AzNsOuLjAh27
04-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Hell Yea!

adam1mc
04-28-2008, 10:07 AM
I don't think marijuana should be legal because of marijuana and neither does Ron Paul.

Yeah.. Perfect. Well said.

Why shouldn't marijuana be legal? The only reasons it became illegal in the first place was due to racial discrimination. It was a bad law created for a bad reason. It's time to repeal that law. Alcohol is responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths each year; marijuana has no directly related deaths. Marijuana is safer that alcohol.

Drug abuse is also a health issue. It's not a criminal issue nor should it be government issue. Drug problems should be resolved by the person, family, church and community. Why should tax payers be responsible for wasting tax dollars to fund law officers who knock down the door of (otherwise) law-abiding citizens because they want to get high? As long as the users activities don't harm others... what's the problem?

DeadtoSin
04-28-2008, 10:13 AM
He is saying Ron Paul wants it decriminalized. There is a difference between legalized and decriminalized.

adam1mc
04-28-2008, 10:23 AM
He is saying Ron Paul wants it decriminalized. There is a difference between legalized and decriminalized.

But Ron Paul does advocate the LEGALIZATION, not just decriminalization of drugs..

http://www.totse.com/en/drugs/legal_issues_of_drug_use/ron_paul.html

The Case for Drug Legalization

by Ron Paul, MD

Today in Washington and on the campaign trail, Republicans and

Democrats, conservatives and liberals, are calling for drastic action on

drugs.

The Reagan administration has made these substances a special issue, of

course. From Nancy Reagan and her "Just Say No" to Ed Meese and his anti-

"money-laundering," officials have engineered mammoth increases in government

spending for anti-drug efforts, and for spying on American citizens.

Join The Paul Side
04-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Big Brother is watching you all. :rolleyes:

Jaykzo
04-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Didn't Ron Paul say something along the lines of "When the government commits a mistake, it is the responsibility of the people through their representatives to correct the mistake, not continue the mistake!"

We made a plant illegal. Under false reasoning. The testimonies and "studies" used to make the case for making marijuana illegal were unfounded.

We should only try to correct this severe violation of our rights.

dannno
04-28-2008, 12:11 PM

Ron Paul wants to end the drug war. Period.

Michael Landon
05-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Just received an e-mail response from my Congressman.

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for sharing with me your thoughts concerning H.R. 5843, legislation to eliminate most federal penalties for possession of marijuana for personal use. I appreciate hearing from you concerning this important issue.

Experts maintain that marijuana remains a popular gateway drug that can lead to the use of harder drugs, and various studies show that recent drug use is on the increase, particularly among young people. Studies show that legalization of drugs (including marijuana) would increase drug use in the public schools, lead to higher numbers of drug addicts and drug overdoses, and result in more drug-related crime.

I strongly oppose illegal drugs, including marijuana, and I have supported increases in federal funding for programs related to the prevention, enforcement, and treatment of drug usage.

H.R. 5843 is awaiting consideration in the House Energy and Commerce Committee and the House Judiciary Committee.

With best wishes.

Sincerely,
James L. Oberstar, M.C.

Anyone else receive replies yet?

- ML

vodalian
05-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Anyone here who says Marijuana should be illegal shouldn't be supporting Ron Paul. This is about freedom, I don't care if you have evilized it in your mind because of all of the crap you have been fed since birth, people should have the right to decide what to do with their body as long as it doesn't affect others. Hell, look at the raids in California, sick people rely on this stuff as a safer alternative to their regular chemical drugs used to treat their ailments, who gives you the right to say "No, you CAN'T have that!". I personally know a very sick man who after smoking marijuana is able to eat and sleep, without it, he is in constant pain, can't hold a meal down, is awake for days at a time etc. This is his only relief, other prescribed drugs he has taken has led to harsh side effects, side effects that make him feel WORSE than he did before taking them. This war on drugs is as bad or worse than the illegal wars in the middle east. I wouldn't be surprised if the people here who go on saying that Marijuana should be illegal drinks alcohol, a drug which causes most people to act like total idiots causing trouble for other people. A drug which is addictive, kills you slowly and has led to countless deaths in America...Day after day after day after day. In my opinion, those who have stereotyped Marijuana and says it should be illegal because it's already illegal has no right to enter this debate. Go find a sick person who relies on it for relief and tell them that they shouldn't have it.