PDA

View Full Version : Paul Weyrich Qualified Endorsement of Ron Paul

Douglass Bartley
08-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Paul Weyrich Qualified Endorsement of Ron Paul. Need help, however, with assuaging his fears in last paragraph.

See http://rxpaul.townhall.com

specsaregood
08-21-2007, 07:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Weyrich

Douglass Bartley
08-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Thank you. Also need reference to Ron Paul defense record.

Original_Intent
08-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Wow, I did not know Paul Weyrich was still around, I javen't heard or read anything by him in ages.

FSP-Rebel
08-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah, that last paragraph is a little much. Must have a hard-on for Arabs. Or whoever the percieved enemy is.

LibertyEagle
08-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Wow, I did not know Paul Weyrich was still around, I javen't heard or read anything by him in ages.

His columns are still carried by TownHall. You know. the NUMBER ONE, Republican website. TownHall is also the co-sponsor of the upcoming Texas Straw Poll. It is read by TONS of Republicans. As Doug said, we need to quickly find the answer to this question.

Please everyone.... help with finding the answers to the questions he asks at the end. The majority of the article is very favorable to Dr. Paul. We badly need to be able to answer these questions!

On the other hand, I never have understood Representative Paul’s many votes against our defense system. Some votes against the defense establishment in this country, yes, but to vote against defending America I cannot understand. The Constitution explicitly delegates the Federal Government the power to defend our country. To vote against some military programs, sure, but all of them? There must be reasonableness and responsibility.

Bradley in DC
08-21-2007, 09:17 PM

Hey now! When I left Dr. Paul's office, I went to work for Weyrich at the Free Congress Foundation. In many ways, Weyrich is an old school conservative. Another long-time staffer there used to work for Sen. Taft (R-OH) way back in the day.

LibertyEagle
08-21-2007, 09:32 PM
He said something else in this article that is noteworthy. If the Michigan GOP is trying to bar independents from voting in the Primary, we sure need to get folks registered as Republicans.

n fact, the Michigan State GOP Chairman is attempting to bar independents from voting in the Michigan Republican Primary. That would preclude the following that Ron Paul has among independent voters in Michigan from so voting. It likely would preclude Ron Paul from getting any Michigan votes in the Republican National Convention in Minneapolis in early September of 2008.

LibertyEagle
08-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Bradley, do you know what he is talking about with regard to his comment about our defense systems?

Bradley in DC
08-21-2007, 09:47 PM
He said something else in this article that is noteworthy. If the Michigan GOP is trying to bar independents from voting in the Primary, we sure need to get folks registered as Republicans.

As much as possible, we need our supporters to register as Republicans--not only to vote in closed primaries, etc, but to help sign ballot petitions and possibly to stand for him as a delegate candidate or alternate delegate candidate.

Bradley in DC
08-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Bradley, do you know what he is talking about with regard to his comment about our defense systems?

Dr. Paul has, to the best of my knowledge, never voted for an appropriations bill, including the defense appropriations. While there is a role for national defense and some parts of those bills, one takes a vote on the entire package, and he has to vote against any bill not authorized by Article I, Sec. 8. Specifically, I know Paul Weyrich (and myself for that matter) supporter a missle defense system that I think Dr. Paul opposes. (on a side note, I think Dr. Paul voted "present" on a DC approps bill once, but I don't remember the circumstances--and I never did approps anyway.)

LibertyEagle
08-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Well, the word needs to be spread then. Because all I've heard is to just check to see if your state requires you to be registered as a Republican to be able to vote in the primary. I live in Texas; so I don't. I even brought this up once in the Justin TV chatroom (ie. people needed to get registered as Republicans) and Justine Lam corrected me and said that everyone needed to check their state requirements. That it was not necessary for everyone.

Bradley in DC
08-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Well, the word needs to be spread then. Because all I've heard is to just check to see if your state requires you to be registered as a Republican to be able to vote in the primary. I live in Texas; so I don't. I even brought this up once in the Justin TV chatroom (ie. people needed to get registered as Republicans) and Justine Lam corrected me and said that everyone needed to check their state requirements. That it was not necessary for everyone.

Again, it's more than just voting for Dr. Paul: in many states, we'll need our supporters to register Republican to sign ballot petitions and to stand as a "delegate candidate" or "alternate delegate candidate" for Dr. Paul.

LibertyEagle
08-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Again, it's more than just voting for Dr. Paul: in many states, we'll need our supporters to register Republican to sign ballot petitions and to stand as a "delegate candidate" or "alternate delegate candidate" for Dr. Paul.

Ok, Bradley. What I am saying to you is that that message has not been clearly delivered. It badly needs to be distributed to the Meetup groups and probably even posted on the campaign website.