PDA

View Full Version : Sheesh - Here's an Illinois Republican For Ya:

angelatc
04-25-2008, 11:44 AM
( I am actively working for a candidate who will be opposing Kirk the RINO in the upcoming election.)

Kirk: Seeking to close gun sale loopholes
4/21/2008

Eric Peterson, Daily Herald

Closing the so-called "terror gap" that allows those on the no-fly list to buy guns legally is the top federal gun sales law reform goal of U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk and other local gun control advocates.

"That reform should have widespread bipartisan support," Kirk said at a news conference Friday. He hopes to see the closing of the loophole attached to an appropriations bill in Congress within the next few months.

The "terror gap" is among a number of gun sale loopholes recently identified at a congressional hearing on illegal guns in Washington, D.C. Kirk, of Highland Park, said he wants to begin spreading public awareness of them.

They also include a "gun show loophole," in which guns can be purchased at trade shows without a background check, and a "fire sale loophole" that allows dealers whose licenses have been revoked to sell off remaining inventory without background checks.

"Current law protects the inventory, and I don't believe the inventory should be protected," Kirk said.

He also wants to require background checks for all gun store workers who handle guns.

Joining Kirk Friday were Palatine Mayor Rita Mullins, a member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns; Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran; ATF Special Agent-in-Charge Andy Traver; and Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence Executive Director Thomas Mannard.

Several illegal guns confiscated in the Chicago area were on display in Kirk's Northbrook office Friday, including a gold-plated AK-47 said to have been brought back from Saddam Hussein's palace in Baghdad before it ended up on the streets.

The group also called for stepped-up enforcement in what they see as lax areas of the country where people from anywhere can go to obtain weapons for crimes.

In fact, more than 300 guns used in Chicago-area crimes have been traced to just four gun shops in northern Mississippi -- three in Clarksdale and one in Tunica. That's according to the Mayors Against Illegal Guns, based on ATF data.

The mayors group also reports that a recent audit of 3,000 Federal Firearm Licensees discovered more than 12,000 gun records to be missing. And 11,000 of these came from only 97 of the 3,000 licensees.

Mullins, who grew up in a gun-owning family and has a firearm owners ID card, said these measures aren't intended to take guns out of the hands of sportsmen. They target the handguns and assault weapons, which she feels there is no legitimate reason for civilians to own.

As mayor at the time of the 1993 Brown's Chicken slayings in Palatine, Mullins said the issue of gun violence is not a new one for her.

"Illegal handguns equals blood money, the blood of our children," she said.

Mullins called on politicians to show courage and common sense, saying those who call for tougher gun control are often targeted for defeat by the National Rifle Association.

"Sometimes you feel a little lonely talking about these measures, and it shouldn't be that way," said Mannard, of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence.

The NRA's public affairs office did not respond to a request for comment Friday.

But the NRA's election volunteer coordinator for Kirk's 10th Congressional District, Marc Albertario of Prospect Heights, said the process of both obtaining an FOID card and buying a firearm in Illinois is already long and complicated. He was skeptical that names on the no-fly list weren't already on the various other databases being checked.

Shaun Kranish, founder of Rockford-based ICarry.org., also felt that further laws restricting the "victimless" activity of gun sales were unnecessary. He described his group as a responsible community of gun owners who want to see enforcement of existing laws against crimes with victims.

Kranish said that even at gun shows, calls are being made to state police to check on would-be purchasers who presumably already have an FOID card.

seapilot
04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
I am forming a Council against boxcutter violence if anyone wants to join. Sure I can get some money raised from some concerned citizens and get some mayors to support us. We need background checks at all hardware stores too. Did you also know that boxcutters are still legal in every state??? A person can just walk into any hardware store and buy one, even under age 18!!

Carehn
04-25-2008, 10:12 PM
I am forming a Council against boxcutter violence if anyone wants to join. Sure I can get some money raised from some concerned citizens and get some mayors to support us. We need background checks at all hardware stores too. Did you also know that boxcutters are still legal in every state??? A person can just walk into any hardware store and buy one, even under age 18!!

i work at a paint store and i am disgusted at the amount of boxcutters i sell. There should be a law. cant even think about the number of boxcutters on the street without permits. The only way i will ever feel safe again is if we outlaw boxcutters all together. people should at least have to go to a government subsidized class on boxcutters.

And just think about all the boxcutters that go to wast every day. What about the globe and all the warming boxcutters must cause.

Not only that the price of boxcutters has gone up drastically in the last couple of years. A giant price fixing government should step in and tell me i can only charge so much for boxcutters. the taxes we had to raise to educate people on boxcutter safety and get illegal boxcutters off the street has made it impossible for the average joe to afford a boxcutter therefor i should forfeit all my profits for the good of my comrades.

OK I'LL shut up

Doktor_Jeep
04-26-2008, 10:49 AM
The Republican party is only paying lip service to gun rights.

But that ruse is dead. We know the real agenda.

Dave39168
04-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Come on this is rediculous... we don't need to outlaw boxcutters!:mad:

I agree this is a serious issue, but i support the rights of the small group who needs boxcutters to open boxes, some use them every day in their place of work. I'm not saying no box-cutters at all, but what does the average citizen need a boxcutter for?:confused: we don't want the irresponsible masses walking up and down the streets brandishing boxcutters like its the wild west!:( A practical solution... I say those 21 years of age, with a background check, can possess 1 box cutter with a permit ($200).:)

Boxcutters should also be kept under safety locks on the way to and from the box to be cut (with the blades locked up in a seperate safety lock).;)

The permit holders info could be kept in a nationwide database of boxcutter owners who would be closely monitored by federal authorities.:o Anyone caught transferring a boxcutter to a non-liscence-holder would have his/her liscence revoked and be imprisoned.:eek:

Anyone caught using a box-opener for anything besides opening a box would be fined ($5000). Warehouses, hardware stores, and grocery stores should be classified as "boxcutter-free zones" as there is absolutely no practial purpose for a boxcutter there.:cool:

And most importantly, "assault-box-openers" should no longer be manufactured. Those are the ones with black synthetic handles, and high capacity detachable blade refills.:D

A nice compromise... The boxcutter people still have their rights, and our children will be safer.