PDA

View Full Version : What's is morally justified?

Fox McCloud
04-25-2008, 11:08 AM
The World is in crisis; many economies have completely collapsed, currencies are worthless, or are very near to it, famines, due to excessive corn-ethanol subsidies, whacky weather, drought, floods, and rising fertilizers and oil prices are plaguing the land; hunger is a cripppling issue. People have not prepared.

The government has taken all sales records from the past 5 years and is noting those who have seemed to have been stocking up on food; they in turn go to these person's homes and demand they give them all the surplus, and only keep enough that is needed to cover the family. The government eventually broadens this plan to include nearly all US citizens. The end result is a central government stockpile that is formed to redistribute all this food to those who are hungry.

Now, given this situation what's your purview?

Kludge
04-25-2008, 01:19 PM
I hope that those stolen from are well-armed and defend their property against the aggressors (those working on the gov't's behalf and the gov't itself) with lethal force.

Stores who gave out their records ought to be razed upon decisions reached by a militia tribunal questioning of the owners.

Maybe the media is correct in assuming Constitutional militias being a terrorist sleeper cell.

Madcat455
04-25-2008, 01:21 PM
If those people were fortunate to have the foresight and money to prepare by stocking up on food... I can only imagine that they were able to hide it securely and also stock up on "defensive" means:D

I'd be more than happy to give the Gov. all the food I could.... after my body was already done with it:p

(hey... my dog appears to enjoy it the second time around...so who knows)

Fox McCloud
04-25-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm quite pleased with the result I'm seeing here....in another forums, only 2 out of 7 (and that was after I voted) believed that this was an unjust and evil action; most said "hey, it sounds like the government would actually be taking care of their people for once".

most, however, justified it in the sense of "the greater good for the greater number" mentality, though they never directly stated this.

Kludge
04-25-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm quite pleased with the result I'm seeing here....in another forums, only 2 out of 7 (and that was after I voted) believed that this was an unjust and evil action; most said "hey, it sounds like the government would actually be taking care of their people for once".

most, however, justified it in the sense of "the greater good for the greater number" mentality, though they never directly stated this.

What forum is this? Sounds like they require unrelenting in-your-face libertarian rants with a smile.

Fox McCloud
04-25-2008, 01:56 PM
What forum is this? Sounds like they require unrelenting in-your-face libertarian rants with a smile.

As you can guess, from my name, I'm a major Star Fox fan, and am thus part of a Star Fox forums.

I rant and rave about Free Markets and Libertarianism all the time, but it does little good; it's either over their heads, or they just ignore me.

For all practical purposes I'm the only Libertarian on the entire forums (well, there might be 1-2 more, but they don't post much or anymore), so I also have to put up with getting ganged up on by 4-5 people at once...whether it be global warming, allow militias, allowing machine guns, not redistributing wealth, etc.

Overall, it's a surprisingly liberal forums, with only about 2-4 'conservatives' on it (and all are neo-cons, sadly)....and while they may hold civil liberties dear, it's not in the individualistic sense, but that of the collectivist sense (as most liberals lean towards these days). It's very aggravating at times.

weslinder
04-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Here's the real problem. If you had 100 pounds of rice and beans, and...

...your city government took it, they'd redistribute 90 pounds, and 10 would be lost somehow.

...your county government took it, they'd redistribute 80 pounds, and 20 would be lost somehow.

...your State government took it, they'd redistribute 60 pounds, and 40 would be lost somehow.

...the Federal government took it, they'd redistribute 20 pounds, and 80 would be lost somehow.

angelatc
04-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Well, one of the problems with it is that in every country where it is tried, the people passing the food out are the only people who get any significant amount of food.

And that's pretty low on my list of reasons not to support it, by the way.

angelatc
04-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Here's the real problem. If you had 100 pounds of rice and beans, and...

...your city government took it, they'd redistribute 90 pounds, and 10 would be lost somehow.

...your county government took it, they'd redistribute 80 pounds, and 20 would be lost somehow.

...your State government took it, they'd redistribute 60 pounds, and 40 would be lost somehow.

...the Federal government took it, they'd redistribute 20 pounds, and 80 would be lost somehow.

Unless you live in Chicago, where the city would take it and it would all be passed out the the Party faithful.

moostraks
04-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Aesop's ant and the grasshopper. No government should have the right to remove the rightful property of an individual. Now the moral ramifications might be another story. That will be between the individual and their creator. Even then, though, it really is the responsibility of the individual to prepare for the future to the best of their ability. This is where being in community with like minded individuals comes into play as a positive situation. So others can help fill the gaps in a mutual agreement. Broad spectrum welfare through seizure of private goods is just repulsive....

Dr.3D
04-25-2008, 02:04 PM
I have no problem with them taking my food stores as long as I don't need them anymore.
I wouldn't need them anymore if I were dead. I guess if they kill me then I would not need them anymore. My kids might object though and I can not answer for what they would do when somebody came to take the food. They know where the ammo is, it's up to them if they wish to give away their food.

If the government is do darned smart, they should have their own food stores to hand out to the people who were not able to foresee the upcoming famine.

AutoDas
04-25-2008, 02:45 PM
If there's demand for it then I'd make a mint off of the food stuffs.

Fox McCloud
04-27-2008, 09:32 PM
update:

wow, at that other forums, the amount of people that thing it's "ok" is up to 75%, and there's about 2 who have expressed their opinion that it's "ok", but they haven't voted....which makes the actual amount at 80%.

Gosh DARN, is the world that stupid?!

NMCB3
04-27-2008, 09:36 PM
In all probability when they come for my food there will be bloodshed. Letting them confiscate my food in the middle of a worldwide meltdown (or anytime for that matter) just ain't gonna happen. :D

Kludge
04-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Gosh DARN, is the world that stupid?!

My my.... Very angry words from McCloud.

DeadtoSin
04-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Fox, to calm down I think that you should do a barrel roll. Oh and let Slippy get shot down.

Fox McCloud
04-27-2008, 10:01 PM
My my.... Very angry words from McCloud.

It's just that it angers me to no end that this world has almost 0 respect for private property, honestly earned and accumulated wealth, and prudence; everything has trended towards ownership of property by some non-existent "group", taking of wealth for the "Greater good", and getting a bail-out/hand-out every single time you fail (regardless of it it was foolhardiness on your part).

Fox, to calm down I think that you should do a barrel roll. Oh and let Slippy get shot down.

*chuckles* How about I just shoot Slippy down, eh? ;)