PDA

View Full Version : Libertarian Party of LA Convention yields straw poll results and more!

torchbearer
04-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Here is the link: http://louisianalibertarianparty.org/cms/

Please check the link for the details:

Here is a summary:

2008 Louisiana Convention Straw Poll Results

1-2-3 Results by number of votes
PLACE CANDIDATE
VOTES
FIRST PLACE VOTES

1 Wayne Allyn Root 13 7
1 Mary Ruwart
13 2
2 Mike Gravel 9 3
3 Christine Smith 4 0
4 Bob Barr (write in) 3 2
5 George Phillies 2 1

*other candidates in the poll received no votes at all in the 1-2-3 preference.

1-9 Preference Results by highest total preference
PLACE CANDIDATE
TOTAL PREFERNCE

1 Wayne Allyn Root 33

2 Mary Ruwart 34

3 Mike Gravel 40

4 Christine Smith 64

5 Steve Kubby 69

6 George Phillies 71

7 Michael Jingozian 89

8 Alden Link 93

9 Daniel Imperato 98

10 Bob Barr (write in) 5

*the number of first place votes was the same for all candidates in both rankings

"Runoff" amongst 1st Place Votes ONLY
PLACE CANDIDATE
VOTES
FIRST PLACE VOTES

1 Mary Ruwart 14 2
2 Wayne Allyn Root 9 7
2 Mike Gravel 9 2
3 Bob Barr 7 2
4 George Phillies 3 1

You will need to visit the site to get the details and meanings of the different polls.
Leave it up to libertarians to have a thorough voting system.

Also, I was the first republican ever elected to the LP state central committee. A show of support, letting me know they are still behind me. And me letting them know, I have not abandoned them.

The convention had people from the other campaigns, Gravel, Ruwart, Root, and Barr were all represented and Root and Barr called in to talk to the convention.

torchbearer
04-23-2008, 10:18 PM
A new platform was adopted for the state LP: http://louisianalibertarianparty.org/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=67&Itemid=46

adopted in convention April 19th, 2008

*note - in conjunction with this language, the convention also adopted a new section of Article 10 Section 5 to the State Party Constitution which stipulates that the platform must be composed of two parts, one of general principles from a state focus or jurisdiction, and a second of specific policy proposals on pertinent and current issues facing the state based on the principles in the first section. While a policy plank on education was debated, it was postponed for further refinement until the next convention. As such, only the general principles have been adopted to date.

General Principles
UNION

Federalism
Louisiana is a sovereign State jealous of its territories and powers and zealously guards them. We have a reciprocal responsibility to our fellow States to bind the national government with the chains of the Federal Constitution. We pledge in this union, assistance to protect all from Invasion from without and to maintain republican government in our own territory.

International Relations
We jealously guard our national and state sovereignty against any attempt to institute a supranational government, organization, or instrument designed towards such ends. International relations should be conducted on a case by case basis only with relevant nations. We will not subordinate public money to foreign interests, nor interfere with the governing of, or initiate the use of force against, sovereign peoples. We encourage limited, legal immigration, for our general benefit.

Militias
Louisiana is responsible for maintaining the general militia for the protection of itself, the Union, and to execute the laws. Each able individual has the responsibility to be knowledgeable and safe in the proper use of force so that he may provide for the defense of himself, his family, and the People. To these ends, the individual right of each to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Laisez Faire Markets
All markets should be free of regulation and interference by government, using an honest weight and measure as a medium of exchange. All markets shall be kept free of any fraud and coercion. The free flow of goods, services and information among the several States should not be hindered.

Taxes
Taxation should be limited in its scope and light in its impact. Congress should be held to the constitutional restrictions on taxation in both form and purpose. Direct, apportioned taxes are preferred for both state and national revenue. Louisiana must ensure that the tax laws are not misapplied or improperly enforced to the detriment of the citizen. All taxation should be approved by a three-fourths majority of the legislature and three-fourths of the people. No tax passed for any purpose shall last longer than five years.

National Party Platform
We adopt, affirm, and agree with the planks of the Libertarian Party Platform insofar as they are consistent with and supportive of the concepts of limited republican government as espoused in the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation, and the Constitution for the United States of America.

JUSTICE
Citizenship

We hold that all Men born in Louisiana, or in any one of the several United States, now domiciled in Louisiana, regardless of race or gender, are Citizens of Louisiana, and enjoy all of the benefits, rights, powers, authorities, prerogatives, and privileges of a sovereign. At no time is any Citizen of Louisiana in any way subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, while within the territory of Louisiana.

Individual Rights

We affirm the principles espoused in the Declaration of Independence - that all Men are created equal, with inalienable rights; that the sole purpose of government is to protect these rights; that it is the responsibility of the People to alter or abolish their form of government whenever it becomes destructive of this purpose, instituting new government more conducive to their liberty.

Contracts

We uphold the right to freely contract with others outside of interference or coercion. Government has the obligation to enforce performance of private contracts, when requested by a counter-party, without regard to public policy.

Corporations

Corporations are chartered by government for the benefit of the People generally and no one specially. Corporations do not enjoy, nor should they be bestowed, the same individual and inalienable rights of Men. No Man should ever be deemed to be, or be treated as, a corporation.

Public Resources

Those resources, natural or otherwise, held in the public trust, are held so for the benefit of all the People generally and none specially. The holding of public resources in trust by government does not confer any power to government to restrict or otherwise regulate the use or enjoyment of those resources by any one of the people except so as to preserve its future use for all. Any Man or Corporation deriving profit from use of public resources shall owe a royalty to the Treasury, to be used for the benefit of the People generally.

Juries

All jurors have the power to decide both the Law and the Facts in every case. It is the responsibility of all jurors to serve as a check against overreaching government and find for acquittal if in their opinion the law or its enforcement is unjust. Juries must be given all evidence relevant to their decision, and they should be present for all proceedings affecting the defendant.

CONFIDENCE
Elections

All elections should be secure and free from tampering or fraud. All votes should have a permanent paper record, and a publicly accessible electronic record, and should be counted in each precinct in full public view. The process, machines, or software used to count votes, be they manual, mechanical, or electronic, shall be open to the public.

Accountability

All public officials, elected or otherwise are fully and personally, legally and financially accountable to the people. Non elected positions should be bonded, and All Officials should be subject to a Grand Jury of the People, assembled for the purpose, should they be deemed to have violated their oath of office, the law, or enjoy personal benefit while acting under color of law. All proceedings of government, in any form or fashion whatsoever, should be open to the public, either at the time of their occurrence or by publishing of their activities.

Preparedness

Government officials have the duty to maintain civil defense procedures and emergency supplies or supply networks, held in trust for the People. All due diligence should be exercised in anticipating contingencies and relief needs. In No case should the government ever hinder or prevent the People or any one of Them from securing their own personal Safety and Security or that of their family or neighbors.

Constitutions

Our Federal and State Constitutions are the supreme law of the land. They should be maintained as general, yet absolute temporary delegations from the people, of powers to various institutions of government. They should not be amended for light or transient causes, nor should their basic provisions be constructed so as to require amendment to assent to laws which would otherwise be in the purview of the Legislature or the People themselves.

Budgets

Government has the duty and obligation to spend within the means of the Treasury. Debt should not be incurred unless in dire emergency as invasion or rebellion or natural disaster as shall not admit of any other remedy. A full cash and accrual basis accounting of all Public resources and Monies shall be issued to the People no less than once per calendar year. Louisiana shall not accept or cause to be accepted, any Thing except Gold or Silver coin as a tender in the payment of debt as required by the United States Constitution.

Initiatives

We recognize the imperfection of vesting all power in government. We support the People in reserving their right of Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Initiative, and of Legislative Referenda. We also hold that our state constitution should reflect this right of the People, and outline a structure and guidelines for the People to properly exercise their power.

torchbearer
04-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Union, Justice, Confidence
are the state's mottos. Its on the flag.

torchbearer
04-23-2008, 10:26 PM
For those who don't want to read the entire platform, here is my fave plank:

Citizenship

We hold that all Men born in Louisiana, or in any one of the several United States, now domiciled in Louisiana, regardless of race or gender, are Citizens of Louisiana, and enjoy all of the benefits, rights, powers, authorities, prerogatives, and privileges of a sovereign. At no time is any Citizen of Louisiana in any way subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, while within the territory of Louisiana.

Most people here should know why....

Also- if you have any questions about the plaform, i may be able to answer it.
I was present for some of the debate on the planks.

mdh
04-23-2008, 10:58 PM
I haven't even thought about adopting a platform here in WV. Maybe we should just take the 2004 LP platform or something. Yet I'm the sort of person who'd... never just do that without 'perfecting' it in my own way, hahah. :)

torchbearer
04-23-2008, 11:29 PM
I haven't even thought about adopting a platform here in WV. Maybe we should just take the 2004 LP platform or something. Yet I'm the sort of person who'd... never just do that without 'perfecting' it in my own way, hahah. :)

Getting a perfect platform is the holy grail of libertarianism.

torchbearer
04-24-2008, 12:07 AM
//

AutoDas
04-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Can an example be given for public resources that are not "natural"? Utilities are just another service best left to private companies.

torchbearer
04-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Can an example be given for public resources that are not "natural"? Utilities are just another service best left to private companies.

what plank are you talking about?

torchbearer
04-24-2008, 11:39 AM
??

FrankRep
04-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Mary Ruwart gave me a hug.

:D

torchbearer
04-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Mary Ruwart gave me a hug.

:D

If she had been there in person, she may have swept the straw poll, why is the straw poll important?
That is what our national delegates are thinking right now.

torchbearer
04-24-2008, 11:07 PM
does anyone know the results in washington so we can compare them?

mdh
04-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Well, I'm holding a straw poll at my state convention on May 11th. Only Senator Gravel is confirmed to attend in person, Ruwart and Kubby are both sending in pre-recorded videos.

torchbearer
04-25-2008, 03:45 PM
//

torchbearer
04-26-2008, 02:41 PM
bump!