PDA

View Full Version : New York Times "They Still Love Huck and Paul"

tajitj
04-23-2008, 05:41 PM
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/they-still-love-huck-and-paul/

April 23, 2008, 6:37 pm
They Still Love Huck and Paul
By Sarah Wheaton

In most cases, winning nearly 73 percent of the vote would be considered a blowout. But for Senator John McCain it could be cause for concern, given that he has been the presumptive Republican nominee for more than a month now.
Mr. McCain won every county in Pennsylvania in the Republican primary Tuesday — yes, the Republicans had a nominating contest there, too — but former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (who dropped out of the race in March) and Representative Ron Paul of Texas did surprisingly well in some of its most conservative counties.
Overall, according to The Associated Press’s count, Mr. Paul took 15.9 percent in the Pennsylvania G.O.P. primary, with 11.3 percent of Republicans voting for Mr. Huckabee.
Mr. McCain’s worst showing was in Juniata County, near the center of the state. He received only about 59 percent of the vote, while Mr. Paul took nearly 28 percent. In 2004, President Bush won Juniata with 72 percent of the vote.
Mr. Bush had his biggest win that year in southern Fulton County, with 76 percent of the vote. Mr. McCain picked up 71 percent there, but Mr. Huckabee had 21 percent, his highest percentage in the state.
“It’s probably just people that have been loyal supporters for the last year or so,” said Sarah Huckabee, the former candidate’s daughter, now spokeswoman for Huck PAC, his political action committee. “I don’t think it shows a lack of support for Senator McCain.”
Mr. Paul, who conceded in March that victory in the “conventional political sense is not available” in the G.O.P. primary, hails from Pittsburgh, and he made four stops in the state.
Tucker Bounds, Mr. McCain’s spokesman, said the Pennsylvania results were “absolutely not” cause for concern. He said the campaign saw “positive trends” Tuesday, including strong support from the party’s base and “openness” from conservative Democrats to his candidacy.

DealzOnWheelz
04-23-2008, 06:57 PM
here comes the damage control

TruthAtLast
04-23-2008, 08:10 PM
"It’s probably just people that have been loyal supporters for the last year or so," said Sarah Huckabee, the former candidate’s daughter, now spokeswoman for Huck PAC, his political action committee. "I don’t think it shows a lack of support for Senator McCain."

Huh? McCain, the media darling and the presumptive nominee couldn't even get 3 out of 4 Republicans to vote for him......... yes Sarah, it DOES show a lack of support for McCain (at least in PA). When two people who are out of the race (one officially out and the other out according to the Media and by every conventional sense of the word) STILL manage to get 28% of the popular vote then damn right there is cause for concern for McCain.

PA is traditionally a Blue state due primarily to its two major cities (Philadelphia and Pittsburgh) but is HIGHLY red in all rural areas so the data in those counties where Ron Paul and Huckabee took a large chunk of the vote is still relevant.
This primary wasn't McCain versus the Democrats. It was McCain versus two Republicans that he should have destroyed by at least 85-90%. If this trend continues in the remaining states he really would have a lot to worry about in a general election.

Additionally, if all of the states that have already voted had a chance to vote again today, the outcome may be different. Not only have more people started to wake up to what McCain is all about (buyer's remorse), but many more have become aware of the Freedom Movement unfortunately too late to vote. I know I've converted at least a dozen people myself since Super Tuesday when my state voted. With Ron Paul looking more like a prophet every day as his economic predictions come true, many people have opened up their minds enough to pay attention.

The big tests left will be IN, NC, NE, ID, SD. Those are very Red states that McCain SHOULD dominate.

KY and NM could go either way.
NM voted Gore in '00 but Bush in '04
KY voted Bush in '04 but Kerry managed to win a handful of counties and (39%). KY also voted Bush in '00 but he won with only 57% of the popular vote (Gore took 42%).
So who knows, maybe KY and NM could be swing states this year.

HI and OR are mostly blue states.

But if McCain can't unify the party behind him in primary states that he should win and WOULD need in his pocket to maintain any hope of a win in a General Election, then he and the GOP elite will have a lot to worry about by backing someone that a large chunk of their party will not support.

The remaining states will be very interesting.

Knightskye
04-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Lmao, Huck PAC. :D

forsmant
04-23-2008, 08:11 PM
There are a few prominent Ron Paul signs posted in Omaha, Nebraska and a handful of meet up groups here. Hopefully we can pull off an upset.

tajitj
04-23-2008, 08:42 PM
http://emac.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2008/04/22/nafta-bashing-heats-up/

Found this on Fox Business. She mentions Paul, and gets into some good numbers on NAFTA.

NAFTA Bashing Heats Up
By Elizabeth MacDonald

acptulsa
04-24-2008, 06:16 AM
I've got a particularly good feeling about South Dakota. I think it can be our second win (remember Louisiana?).

intelliot
04-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Great news article, brought me back to these forums to see what people were saying about it.

Comment from the article site:

April 23rd, 2008 9:11 pm

Am I crazy, or did you place the name Huck before Paul in the title of this article and then again in the article mention Huckabee, the one not in the race, before Ron Paul, even thought Ron Paul got more votes than Huckabee. I doubt this small thing was not an accident. Huck got his name mentions six times and Paul five times. If the MSM must mention Paul, try to minimize it or hide it as best as possible.

— Posted by jay