PDA

View Full Version : Start stocking up on food NOW.

fxmercenary
04-23-2008, 04:27 PM
prices are going to raise sharply after this saturday. Starting sunday you will see increases on food costs by about 10% all the way up to 40% on certain items.

The items that are going to raise the most will be the following:

Rice
Wheat ( Flour, Grains, Pastas, breads etc... )
Corn ( Incliding Corn Products such as cooking oils and items with high fructose syrups)
Dairy ( cheeses, milk, eggs etc... )

The Increase in costs are due to rising gas prices, shortages in food supplies and stockpiles ( and probably the fact that in the last 4 years, more food has been consumed than produced )

This is a warning to all of you. STOCK UP NOW.

A good site to stockpile would be sites such as efoodsdirect.com or begin canning preserves now.

Starting a small "efficiency garden" in your back yard wouldnt be a bad idea either.
( Tomatoes, Carrots, Grains, Peas, Greenbeans etc... )

Another Helpful Tip, Do not fill your gas tank up all the way, 99% of the time the gas returns into the pump via an overfill return line, leaving them gas you bought in the hose and back in their tanks save yourself 2 or 3 dollars a week by not filling up.

Good luck guys, we will need it. :o

DeadtoSin
04-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Why in particular do you say that food prices will rise this Saturday?

fxmercenary
04-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Why in particular do you say that food prices will rise this Saturday?

the price cannot be increased until after saturday per law, the food on the shelves was purchased at lower prices by the companies selling them.

Rangeley
04-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Why this Saturday?

TruthAtLast
04-23-2008, 04:43 PM
why not last Saturday or two Saturdays from now?

fxmercenary
04-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Food Prices Going Up?
Reported by: Web Producer
Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 @09:59am CST

Americans Stock Up On Food As Prices, Demand Increases

As the food industry ups its prices, Americans are stocking up on the necessities.
The "Washington Times" reports people are filling their pantries and basements with foods such as rice flour and oil in anticipation of higher prices and product shortages.
Farmers and food executives are appealing to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission to implement steps to limit speculative buying.
With no results so far, they are threatening to take their case to Congress.
President of the National Farmers Union, Tom Buis, compares the food price crisis to the credit crisis.
He says, quote, "we don't want a lack of oversight and regulation to lead to a similar crisis in rural America.
The CFTC says the high prices are the result of an increased world demand for grains.
Chairman Walter Lukken said, quote, "during such turbulent times, it is tempting to shoot first and ask questions later." He stressed there is no single solution to solve the food industry crisis.

fxmercenary
04-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Wal-Mart's Sam's Club Restricts Purchase of Some Rice (Update5)

By Cotten Timberlake

April 23 (Bloomberg) -- Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s Sam's Club warehouse unit is restricting purchases of some types of rice to four bags a visit as prices reached a record in Chicago futures trading.

The limits on jasmine, basmati and long-grain white rice, a response to ``recent supply and demand trends,'' will be put into effect in all U.S. stores where allowed by law and are effective immediately, Sam's Club spokeswoman Kristy Reed said today in an e-mailed statement.

Some consumers have started hoarding rice, the food staple for half the world as prices soar and supplies shrink. China, Vietnam, India and Egypt have curbed sales abroad to safeguard domestic supplies and cool inflation. Thailand also may restrict shipments, a World Bank official said today.

``The warehouse clubs are doing it to protect their business customers, like smaller restaurants, caterers, nursing homes, day-care centers,'' said food consultant Jim Degen. ``The business members are the most important members in warehouse clubs because they generate so much more revenue per member.'' Degen is a principal of J.M. Degen & Co., a food industry marketing consulting firm based in Templeton, California.

Some of Costco Wholesale Corp.'s stores, including locations in California, have put limits on sales of rice and flour, Chief Executive Officer James Sinegal told Reuters yesterday. Sinegal didn't return a phone call from Bloomberg News seeking comment.

Distribution Systems

Costco and Sam's Club have extensive distribution systems and source worldwide, so they can redistribute their rice supplies within the United States, meaning limits on customers may not be a long-term problem, said Degen.

``We are working with our suppliers to address this matter to ensure we are in stock,'' Sam's Club's Reed said. The stores aren't limiting purchases of flour or oil, she said. Reached via phone, she declined to comment further.

Rice has more than doubled in the past year. Rice futures for July delivery rose 2.6 percent in Chicago today, touching a record $24.85 per 100 pounds, and have climbed 26 percent this month.

Wheat, corn and soybeans gained to records this year, spurring social unrest in Haiti and Egypt.

Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, rose 37 cents to $56.92 at 4:15 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. Costco, the largest U.S. warehouse club, climbed $1.52, or 2.2 percent, to $69.60.

Food Prices

The higher commodities prices are also pushing up U.S. food prices and spurring inflation. The consumer price index climbed 0.3 percent in March, after no change in the prior month, the Labor Department said April 16. Inflation, combined with falling home values and mounting job losses, is leading to cutbacks in consumer spending that may push the economy into a recession.

Limits on rice purchases will be felt the most in California and Texas, which have large Asian and Mexican populations, whose diets include rice, Degen said.

Soaring prices may put basic foods beyond the reach of the poorest people, raising the risk of a ``silent famine'' in Asia, a World Food Program official said April 21.

In the U.S., half of the domestic rice crop meets 88 percent of the country's demand, said David Coia, a spokesman with the USA Rice Federation in Arlington, Virginia.

`Uncalled-For Hysteria'

``When global prices rise as quickly as they have, as rice has, and as recently happened with wheat, you are going to have some concerns, and hysteria in some cases that is uncalled for,'' Ephraim Leibtag, an economist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Washington, said in a telephone interview. ``Food supplies have been pretty stable in the U.S. over the last 20 to 30 years.''

When prices rise rapidly, consumers buy larger quantities to lock in the lower prices, and that effect is exacerbated when a product is storable, he said.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics index of consumer prices for rice, pasta and cornmeal rose 12.1 percent in March over a year earlier. In March 2007, the index was up 5.2 percent.

``There is no shortage of rice in the United States, and my understanding is that you have these companies like Sam's Club and Costco that want to have rice for all their customers, not just the large purchasers who hoard,'' Coia said by telephone.

The worldwide supply shortfall will begin to ease with the June harvest, and may be resolved by the end of 2009, as farmers increase their crops to meet the demand, he said.

Rangeley
04-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Yes, all prices are rising, we know that. But why this Saturday? Or is there no reason other than to be alarmist?

NCGOPer_for_Paul
04-23-2008, 05:00 PM
I hope those fucking environmentalist wackos spend their eternities in hell for starting the ethanol craze, which created this.

freelance
04-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Yes, all prices are rising, we know that. But why this Saturday? Or is there no reason other than to be alarmist?

Probably because the real panic started this week. Many stores run their ads Sunday through Saturday and change their prices on Saturday night.

Why NOT this Sunday? That seems only logical.

Fields
04-23-2008, 05:05 PM
I hope those fucking environmentalist wackos spend their eternities in hell for starting the ethanol craze, which created this.

+1

fxmercenary
04-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Check the news stories guys, the news reporting alone is going to raise the prices.

spacehabitats
04-23-2008, 05:27 PM
That's what our church has been telling us for decades.:D
Seriously, anyone that is interested in learning about food and water storage (and/or financial preparedness) should check out the resources available through the LDS church.

http://www.providentliving.org/images/brochure_feat1.jpg Family Home Storage (http://www.providentliving.org/channel/0,11677,1706-1,00.html) and Finances (http://www.providentliving.org/channel/0,11677,1709-1,00.html)
The Family Home Storage (http://www.providentliving.org/channel/0,11677,1706-1,00.html) channel and the Family Finances (http://www.providentliving.org/channel/0,11677,1709-1,00.html) channel have been updated with resources to help you prepare for adversity. Among the available resources are two new pamphlets that teach the basics of home food storage and financial preparedness.

Magsec
04-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Does this mean Pasta-Roni is going from $.99 to up to $1.39? Damn....

RSLudlum
04-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Start clippin those coupons boys n girlz :D

aravoth
04-23-2008, 05:42 PM

How is it thier fault? We Can't be polluting the earth with the same gases my dog farts in his sleep! Even Enviro's want to drive SUV's, so you see, converting 1/3 of the entire food supply into gas is a good thing! Not only does it allow those dipshits to ride around with a clean conscience, but it has the added benefit of inciting massive food riot's world wide, and staving millions of disadvadtaged people to death! Get it!? Now the 1st world can "save the planet" by staving the third world to death. Excellent Plan!

A day of reckoning will come for them. Hell, in my opinion is too soft a punishment for these radical fuckheads.

RonPaulVolunteer
04-23-2008, 06:59 PM
How is it thier fault? We Can't be polluting the earth with the same gases my dog farts in his sleep! Even Enviro's want to drive SUV's, so you see, converting 1/3 of the entire food supply into gas is a good thing! Not only does it allow those dipshits to ride around with a clean conscience, but it has the added benefit of inciting massive food riot's world wide, and staving millions of disadvadtaged people to death! Get it!? Now the 1st world can "save the planet" by staving the third world to death. Excellent Plan!

A day of reckoning will come for them. Hell, in my opinion is too soft a punishment for these radical fuckheads.

It's their fault because they solved (or pretended to at least) one problem by creating an even bigger problem.

amy31416
04-23-2008, 07:39 PM
It's their fault because they solved (or pretended to at least) one problem by creating an even bigger problem.

Seems to be the way it always goes.

Guy on the street: No drilling in Anwar, why not?

Enviro guy: It's a polar bear habitat.

Guy on the street: Oh. Can't we move them somewhere?

Enviro guy: No.

Guy on the street: Okay, let's fucking bomb Iraq then, Iran if necessary.

Enviro guy: That's the spirit! Fuck people and the economy, I care about polar bears. Snuggly, cuddly polar bears. And there is no compromise.

Guy on the street: How about that war in Iraq?

Enviro guy: Bush is a murdering, treasonous baby-killing asswipe who lied to get into war! We all know this is a war for oil! Impeach him. RALPH NADER 08!

Guy on the street: *headslap*

aravoth
04-23-2008, 07:42 PM

I was being sarcastic.

scholarpreneur
04-23-2008, 08:20 PM

It's not environmentalists, it's government subsidies.

Jeremy
04-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Seems to be the way it always goes.

Guy on the street: No drilling in Anwar, why not?

Enviro guy: It's a polar bear habitat.

Guy on the street: Oh. Can't we move them somewhere?

Enviro guy: No.

Guy on the street: Okay, let's fucking bomb Iraq then, Iran if necessary.

Enviro guy: That's the spirit! Fuck people and the economy, I care about polar bears. Snuggly, cuddly polar bears. And there is no compromise.

Guy on the street: How about that war in Iraq?

Enviro guy: Bush is a murdering, treasonous baby-killing asswipe who lied to get into war! We all know this is a war for oil! Impeach him. RALPH NADER 08!

Guy on the street: *headslap*

Wow... that basically sums up my experience with people. Except instead of saying something about Nadar, they praise the democrat party. Well I live in a blue state =o

RonPaulVolunteer
04-23-2008, 08:30 PM
I was being sarcastic.

Oh, sorry buddy :o

Karakia
04-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Screw stocking up for myself. What about the people in third world countries that were starving before? :( They will be feeling it twice as bad. I hate how nobody cares until they start feeling the pinch themselves. Crazy world we live in.

JosephTheLibertarian
04-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Start clippin those coupons boys n girlz :D

I already do. ;)

billjarrett
04-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Granted, I only work in the IT department.. But I am currently working for a large grocery warehouse/distribution company (large profit wise, our office is pretty small).

If something this earth shattering were going on, our whole office would know about it. Although theres alot of grumbling about food prices, that's been going on for the last year. None of our buyers have given any sign that the world is coming to an end this weekend.

Pauls' Revere
04-23-2008, 09:34 PM
I like potatos!

jbuttell
04-24-2008, 12:51 AM
It's not environmentalists, it's government subsidies.

Of course the environmentalists never lobby the government for things like that. It's got electrolytes?

asgardshill
04-24-2008, 01:04 AM
This food riot thing has definite possibilities. Such as a steel cage match - each contestant gets a 10-pound bag of potatoes and must decide whether to use them to beat his opponent senseless thereby scoring BOTH bags, wield the potatoes individually as melee weapons, or simply take his taters and run. Or hang a T-bone steak above the center of the Octagon with a ladder nearby - first one up the ladder gets it. (For Sweeps Week, substitute a side of beef for the steak). Instead of "Where's Waldo?", we could have "Where's Similac Baby Formula?" Think of the cake walk at your local county fair, only with strategy and steel chairs.

I can see the Food Network gaining new popularity (and audience), especially if they bring UFC or the WWE in for technical advice.

Tarzan
04-24-2008, 01:57 AM
Screw stocking up for myself. What about the people in third world countries that were starving before? :( They will be feeling it twice as bad. I hate how nobody cares until they start feeling the pinch themselves. Crazy world we live in.

Screw the third world countries. If they would stop popping out babies like pez dispensers they might be able to feed themselves. And if they kept their pistols in their pockets they would have a lot less problems with killer diseases.

We don't need 6+ billion people on the globe. And we don't need people who can't feed themselves dumping out babies they can't feed either. When we send aid every time there is a hunger crisis we perpetuate the problem... and the population grows even more... and the problem becomes worse. We have done this time after time and learned nothing. It is a matter of personal and societal responsibility.

Until the third world (and we) learns the hard lessons we will continue to repeat these types of disastrous mistakes. It is an unfortunate part of human nature.

Kilrain
04-24-2008, 03:09 AM
Screw the third world countries. If they would stop popping out babies like pez dispensers they might be able to feed themselves. And if they kept their pistols in their pockets they would have a lot less problems with killer diseases.

We don't need 6+ billion people on the globe. And we don't need people who can't feed themselves dumping out babies they can't feed either. When we send aid every time there is a hunger crisis we perpetuate the problem... and the population grows even more... and the problem becomes worse. We have done this time after time and learned nothing. It is a matter of personal and societal responsibility.

Until the third world (and we) learns the hard lessons we will continue to repeat these types of disastrous mistakes. It is an unfortunate part of human nature.

"If you subsidize something, you get more of it"

Sound like anyone you know?

Ethiopia had like 40 million people when we had Live Aid. Now there's 65+ million people there. Not sustainable... Anyone who's been to a third world country that relies on foreign aid should realize that it's just stupid and counter-productive. I still remember my visit to Haiti like ten years ago. It all just made me want to cry, mainly from anger.

freelance
04-24-2008, 03:52 AM
By golly, TPTB have come to our rescue:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/04/17/do1702.xml

Problem > Reaction > Solution

Talk about Internet time--when did this scare reach hysterical proportion? Less than a week ago? Isn't it amazing that within ONE week of a food shortage, we have GM crops to the rescue.

Anti Federalist
04-24-2008, 11:39 AM
By golly, TPTB have come to our rescue:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/04/17/do1702.xml

Problem > Reaction > Solution

Talk about Internet time--when did this scare reach hysterical proportion? Less than a week ago? Isn't it amazing that within ONE week of a food shortage, we have GM crops to the rescue.

Yah, and used shoppers club d-bases to make sure you only buy just enough:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=133855

Give me liberty
04-24-2008, 03:20 PM
What about water?

Should we stock up water to?

Karakia
04-24-2008, 04:28 PM
The problem with third world countries in general isn't the people, it's the government. You can't blame uneducated masses for doing what comes naturally to them :/ In africa there is more than enough money to sustain the entire country but it goes into the pockets of corrupt politicians. There is lack of basic needs like Electricity, Refridgeration and water.

my point was simply that people that could afford to buy rice before, just barely, will now be starving becuase the prices are doubling and supply is short.

What does America have to worry about? It has twinkies! :p