PDA

View Full Version : The Conservative Bench Is Costing Us Dearly

Kade
04-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Search and Seizure is now perfectly legal (http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1734409,00.html), even when it violates State Law.

This is where we are losing the most ground in Civil Liberties... the Supreme Court. For the first time the "Conservatives" are running the bench, and we have seen absolute fascism spewing from this court.

Unbelievable. This will be the fourth straight decision in regards to Civil Liberties that law professionals will denounce.

Now with state law enforcement in line with federal law enforcement, we are that much closer to being a police state.

Congratulations GOP. Our country is on it's way.

acptulsa
04-23-2008, 02:58 PM
The last eight years in particular have been mind-boggling. I really don't know how people can't see it. It's ugly.

Kade
04-23-2008, 03:03 PM
The last eight years in particular have been mind-boggling. I really don't know how people can't see it. It's ugly.

Abject complacency and gross incompetence.

nate895
04-23-2008, 04:24 PM
I think you should change "conservative" to "right-wing fascist" since true conservative, such as myself, like our civil liberties.

klamath
04-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Since to OP felt he had to put a conservative label on his thread I feel it is important to point out that every liberal on the court voted for this ruling as well. When we get over using these terms and just stick to the issues we might get somewhere.

freelance
04-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Since to OP felt he had to put a conservative label on his thread I feel it is important to point out that every liberal on the court voted for this ruling as well. When we get over using these terms and just stick to the issues we might get somewhere.

Yep, it was unanimous! Truly amazing.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-23-2008, 05:33 PM

Heh. I remember when I was concerend about Ashcroft. Oh how I long for those days.

Acala
04-23-2008, 05:34 PM
The erosion of the 4th amendment is almost entirely a consequence of the drug war.

Unlike real crimes that have real victims, nobody that is involved in drug crimes ever report the crime. So in order to enforce drug laws, the cops can't just sit in the station waiting for a report from a vicitm, they must go out and actively invade people's privacy in order to detect for themselves the occurrence of the crime.

This need to ferret out criminal activity that none of the participants want discovered necessarily results in the use of the most unsavory and invasive techniques including the use of paid informants recruited from society's dregs, telephone taps, video surveillance of homes, no-knock warrants executed by masked agents in the middle of the night, armored battering rams for smashing through the walls of houses, aerial surveillance by helicopter and U2 spyplanes, drug transactions staged by undercover law enforcement agents in which the agents buy, possess and sell drugs in order to lure citizens into buying, posessing and selling drugs, scrutiny of utility company records to detect cultivation, body cavity searches, x-ray examination, confiscation and examination of excrement, use of criminal profiles, random examination of luggage and school lockers by dogs, routine analysis of urine, and on and on.

The drug war is inherently in conflict with the fourth amendment and nearly all of the Supreme Court cases in the last thirty years that have weakened the fourth amendment have been drug cases. As is this latest.

ARealConservative
04-23-2008, 05:45 PM
The groundwork for everything that has occurred was a result of liberal courts and the far reaching precedent set by same.

The federal reserve act

The civil rights acts.

push to expand the power of the elastic clause......A switch in time to save nine.

etc.etc.

Even the "radical republicans" of the Lincoln era didn't control the bench.

It requires a true partisan mindset to ignore all that has come before us. Both parties have sucked arse for the last 20 years and the trophy for suckiest gets handed around as much as the Stanley Cup.

Liberal courts believe in a living constitution, so I see no sense barking up that tree for a solution.

liberteebell
04-23-2008, 05:57 PM

QFT!!

ARealConservative
04-23-2008, 05:58 PM
I finally checked out the link.

It was a unanimous decision........

Kade
04-23-2008, 07:04 PM
I think you should change "conservative" to "right-wing fascist" since true conservative, such as myself, like our civil liberties.

But this is called the "conservative bench".

devil21
04-23-2008, 08:14 PM
What I dont understand is that in VA, driving on suspended license is an arrestable offense. I should know b/c I got arrested for it! If theres some state law prohibiting an arrest then the cops there have been breaking that law for a good long time.

Kalifornia
04-23-2008, 10:37 PM
The federal civil rights battleground is lost. The court has essentially come to the conclusion that congress can pass any law it wants and that the executive can do what they want.

I graduate from law school this month. I have sworn off federal court. Im headed to the NW, where hopefully I can eventually wrangle myself a decent job in a small town in MT, WY, ID, or WA. Ill probably have to do a few years in a big city to pay down some bills, but such is life.

The only thing left to reverse these trends is a groundswell of public outrage, and Im not seeing it happen any time soon. I have discussed these issues with some of the sharpest minds on the west coast in political science and constitutional law. We are losing. and fast. Its probably an irreversible trend, at least until blood is shed again.

Ill be looking for some land, trying to figure out how to work it in such a way as to be fairly self sustaining, and hoping to build a defensible house. Wherever you are, I suggest you do the same.

ARealConservative
04-24-2008, 12:01 PM
The federal civil rights battleground is lost. The court has essentially come to the conclusion that congress can pass any law it wants and that the executive can do what they want.

I agree.

The only way to turn the tide is for the economy to collapse, which we shouldn't be wishing on anybody. I believe this would provide the ground swell for positive change, but it also creates the possibility for more central planning and control as well.

Ill be looking for some land, trying to figure out how to work it in such a way as to be fairly self sustaining, and hoping to build a defensible house. Wherever you are, I suggest you do the same.

Very good advice.

Kraig
04-24-2008, 12:06 PM
I agree.

The only way to turn the tide is for the economy to collapse, which we shouldn't be wishing on anybody. I believe this would provide the ground swell for positive change, but it also creates the possibility for more central planning and control as well.

Very good advice.

It's going to happen, and the Federal Reserve is working towards that goal far more effectively than any wishing could do. When it does happen, we will be presented with a choice of more freedom or more control, although I doubt the government and media will present it as a choice. The amount of education we do know will become crucial when that time comes.