PDA

View Full Version : McCain opts back in for public campaign financing

devil21
04-21-2008, 05:39 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0408/9737.html

John McCain is abandoning any hope of catching the Democrats in fundraising.

Based on new financial disclosure reports released Sunday, and interviews with his finance team, the Republican Party’s presumptive nominee will instead accept taxpayer money to finance his general election and share other costs with the Republican National Committee.

The strategy will allow McCain to stretch his campaign dollars by splitting the cost of television advertising and other campaign activity with the RNC.

But the decision also puts the Arizona senator at risk of being badly outspent – even with RNC help – by a Democratic nominee who will be allowed to spend as much as he or she can raise on the November race.

McCain has raised a total of $72 million for his presidential bid, including $15 million in March. He ended last month with about $11.5 million in cash....
(continues at link)

So let me get this straight. McCain, the champion of campaign finance reform, signed up for public funds to guarantee a loan that kept his campaign afloat when he was broke. Then he backed out of public funds after he received the loan, thus breaking his own law. Then he raised enough money to become the front-runner. Now he is opting back in to public financing because the dems will blow him out of the water in general election money. I couldn't make this shit up if I tried. It would be funny if it wasn't so damn sad :(

scandinaviany3
04-21-2008, 10:17 PM
yeah now the money thing will ensure the mccain cant win bumper stickers the moment the democrats come together and we have the public announcement for donations..or heck just the difference on the number of states running the democrats and everyone elses ads that attack mccain.

Great pitch for the rest of the states to not vote for mccain because public financing means giveing the democrats the election.

Bradley in DC
04-21-2008, 10:22 PM
I keep tellin' ya, it's gonna be his temper that brings him down.

I'm as certain of it as I was that Tancredo would run for re-election to Congress and endorse Dr. Paul. :cool:

Kotin
04-21-2008, 10:32 PM
isn't McCain literally screwed? how will the RNC take this?

put Romney in there to spend his fortunes...?

tonyr1988
04-21-2008, 10:43 PM
isn't McCain literally screwed? how will the RNC take this?

put Romney in there to spend his fortunes...?

literally is definitely not the best word to use in that question. *bad images, bad images....*

Join The Paul Side
04-22-2008, 05:20 AM
Wow. Just.......WOW!

This is great news. Are we smelling the end of Juan McCan't-win? :D

Join The Paul Side
04-22-2008, 05:29 AM
P.S. - Why did the mods move this topic?

rancher89
04-22-2008, 06:06 AM
[THIS JUST IN FROM RTR]

Wouldn't that be a great headline to read! Lets make it happen!

On March 21st Mathew Mosk of The Washington Post,
http://blog.washingto...
reported that Sen. John McCain has officially broken the $54
million dollar spending limitation imposed by the presidential
public financing system.

At the link below you will find a Microsoft Word document drafted
by our Connecticut Coordinator. It is formal complaint to the
FEC to investigate McCain's violation. If we flood the FEC with
complaints they will have to take notice. Do not delay and file
your complaint with the FEC TODAY!!! If McCain gets bumped out of
the race... Ron Paul could rise to the foreground! ... and it only
takes one print out and a $0.41 stamp.

http://www.restorethe...

If you are a Ron Paul Meetup group member, notify your meetup of
this action immediately.

Yours in Freedom and Truth,

Gary Franchi
National Director
RestoreTheRepublic.com

PS. New RTR video: http://www.youtube.co...

acptulsa
04-22-2008, 06:14 AM
No point in swamping the FEC. They can do nothing. Swamp your Represenative and Senator with demands that they fill the vacant slots on the FEC board. Make them make Dubya refuse to confirm anyone to the FEC so people can see what the true nature of the status quo is. If we want an answer on this subject--and we do--we have to demand appointments to that board and convince many other people to take an interest as well.

The media's giving McCain a free ride on this. If anyone's going to see him taken to account, we'll have to step up.

pinkmandy
04-22-2008, 08:00 AM

I think it could but I fear his campaign advisors probably have him heavily medicated.

acptulsa
04-22-2008, 08:03 AM

Works for me, but I'd sure like to have enough faith in the American electorate to believe his ignorance would do it...

angelatc
04-22-2008, 08:11 AM
I think it could but I fear his campaign advisors probably have him heavily medicated.

His advisors? Probably his wife!

Bruno
04-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Why does this article not even mention his backing out of matching funds and all that recent history? Is that all a moot point now?

acptulsa
04-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Why does this article not even mention his backing out of matching funds and all that recent history?

Didn't he exceed the cap? Why doesn't the article even address this?

Banana
04-22-2008, 08:35 AM

Wondering the same thing- this would entail imprisonment, no?

Conza88
04-22-2008, 08:46 AM
So let me get this straight. McCain, the champion of campaign finance reform, signed up for public funds to guarantee a loan that kept his campaign afloat when he was broke. Then he backed out of public funds after he received the loan, thus breaking his own law. Then he raised enough money to become the front-runner. Now he is opting back in to public financing because the dems will blow him out of the water in general election money. I couldn't make this shit up if I tried. It would be funny if it wasn't so damn sad :(

Nah, it will be if he goes to jail. :D

pinkmandy
04-22-2008, 08:48 AM

By like 4 million I thought. Maybe more by now and before going back to govt funds.

Banana
04-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Total speculation out of my ass: Bush pardons McCain for the infraction and McCain goes on to win with public financing *and* private financing. :eek:

yongrel
04-22-2008, 09:26 AM
It's a shame that assault with a deadly weapon is a crime in times like this.

devil21
04-22-2008, 02:45 PM
P.S. - Why did the mods move this topic?

They didn't move it. This is the forum I posted in.

ItsTime
04-22-2008, 02:48 PM
if he ops back in and he already spent over his limit wtf happens?

devil21
04-22-2008, 02:54 PM
if he ops back in and he already spent over his limit wtf happens?

I dont think thats possible because primary funds and general election funds are separate. He may have violated the primary portion of the law but that doesnt carry over to the general election. He's walking a real thin line here. I just think it's pathetic when a "fiscal conservative" happily takes $85 million taxpayer dollars to fund a losing campaign.