PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul on Immigration???

Shink
08-21-2007, 01:15 PM
* View borkman8's Profile
* borkman8

* Total points: 57 (Level 1)
* Points earned this week:

* 0% Best answer
* 10 answers

borkman8

Anyone else think Ron Paul supporters are cult-like?

boy, they freak out when you bring up stuff like ron paul's vote for h-1b visas

'no criticize ron paul'
Additional Details

2 days ago
rooster, yes he DID vote for h-1b (from numbersusa

Nearly doubled H-1B foreign
high-tech workers in 1998
Rep. Paul helped the House pass H.R.3736. Enacted into law, it increased by nearly 150,000 the number of foreign workers high-tech American companies could hire over the next three years. Although the foreign workers receive temporary visas for up to six years, most historically have found ways to stay permanently in this country. Rep. Paul voted for more foreign workers even though U.S. high tech workers over the age of 50 were suffering 17% unemployment and U.S. firms were laying off thousands of workers at the time.

2 days ago
Voted in 1998 to allow firms to lay off Americans
to make room for foreign workers
Before the House passed the H-1B doubling bill (H.R.3736), Rep. Paul had an opportunity to vote for a Watt Substitute bill that would have forbidden U.S. firms from using temporary foreign workers to replace Americans. Rep. Paul opposed that protection. The substitute also would have required U.S. firms to check a box on a form attesting that they had first sought an American worker for the job. Rep. Paul voted against that. The protections for American workers fell 33 votes short of passing.

This comes from some jackass on yahoo answers 'asking' (rather, telling people) about the cult status of Ron Paul supporters.

What I want to know is...what's the deal? If this stuff is true, what's the justification for helping illegals out? Am I misinterpreting?

Any help is appreciated.

Brasil Branco
08-21-2007, 01:27 PM
There's a huge difference between legal immigrants and illegal immigrants. If you note, both those bills are for legal immigrants on work visas- there's nothing wrong with that.

Kregener
08-21-2007, 01:34 PM
It is also called free enterprise.

If American companies are finding better-qualified candidates abroad (and how could they not, given the state of education here), then they should be allowed to offer them jobs.

Let us go back to basics:

If THIS issue turns you off to Ron Paul, then just WHOM among the running elite turns you on?

You will get exactly what you "vote" for...

Shink
08-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Okay, I must have skimmed too quickly. If that's all his vote was for, then what's the big deal?

Edit: Hey now...don't yell at me about this dissuading me. I think I didn't take the meaning the right way, I thought this guy found some votes that are pro-illegal immigration.

There are no other candidates that come CLOSE to Ron Paul, and even if he was proven to be a kitten murdering football fan, I'd still vote for him.:p

Mesogen
08-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Nearly doubled H-1B foreign
high-tech workers in 1998
Rep. Paul helped the House pass H.R.3736. Enacted into law, it increased by nearly 150,000 the number of foreign workers high-tech American companies could hire over the next three years. Although the foreign workers receive temporary visas for up to six years, most historically have found ways to stay permanently in this country. Rep. Paul voted for more foreign workers even though U.S. high tech workers over the age of 50 were suffering 17% unemployment and U.S. firms were laying off thousands of workers at the time.

2 days ago
Voted in 1998 to allow firms to lay off Americans
to make room for foreign workers
Before the House passed the H-1B doubling bill (H.R.3736), Rep. Paul had an opportunity to vote for a Watt Substitute bill that would have forbidden U.S. firms from using temporary foreign workers to replace Americans. Rep. Paul opposed that protection. The substitute also would have required U.S. firms to check a box on a form attesting that they had first sought an American worker for the job. Rep. Paul voted against that. The protections for American workers fell 33 votes short of passing.

I've heard Ron Paul praise Bill Gates and Microsoft before. They were huge proponents of this bill. Bill Gates was all about those H1-B visas.
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/career/article.php/3500986
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070226-8924.html

So who says Ron Paul is protectionist, huh? At least that's the way it will be spun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H1B_visa#Quotas_and_changes_in_quotas

During the early years of this quota in the early 1990s, this quota was rarely actually reached. By the mid-1990s, however, the quota tended to be filled each year on a first come, first served basis, resulting in new H-1Bs often being denied or delayed because the annual quota was already filled. In 1998 the quota was increased first to 115,000 and then, in 2000, to 195,000 visas per year. This increase in the quota seemed to play a role in oversaturating an already softening high-tech job market. During the years the quota was 195,000, it was never reached, and the availability of high-tech jobs in the USA plummeted as there was just too much competition for positions.
How could the number never be reached if companies were allowed to lay off citizens in favor of hiring immigrants?

Is this free trade or managed trade?

Mesogen
08-21-2007, 05:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H1B_visa#Criticisms_of_the_Program

One criticism of the H-1B program has been over its role in replacing U.S. workers. The first documented cases occurred in 1994 when AIG (Livington NJ) and SeaLand (Elizabeth NJ), took advantage of a loophole in the law to replace their U.S. programming staffs with H-1B workers. These companies used contract job shops to supply the H-1B replacements. The companies could claim they did not apply for H-1B visas and the job shops could claim they had not fired any U.S. workers. Thus, the employer could openly and legally replace their U.S. workforce with H-1B workers.

The American Competitiveness Act of 1998 that temporarily expanded the H-1B program contained a provision to close this loophole in the version that passed the House Judiciary Committee. However, the House leadership had it removed before the bill came to a vote.

So basically, Ron Paul voted for the bill with the loophole and didn't vote for the replacement bill that closed the loophole.