PDA

View Full Version : Disgusted in Georgia....

moostraks
04-21-2008, 01:03 PM
My dh and I attended yet another round of delegate nonsense to be sorely disappointed to find out that a slate of delegates had been selected to attend the national convention. They have now gotten $70.00 of our money for what?? (Not to mention several weekends of listening to a bunch of self-righteous pimps for the neocon GOP!)

We were never apprised of the meeting where this slate was chosen and the fiasco we attended insured that they were accepted due to a lousy system of voting where half the people in the room did not even understand what they were voting on (which was to accept the slate of delegates that had been cherry picked...) Rest assured this was a group of long term gop lapdogs who will vote for McCain just like they have been told to. I am disgusted!!!!

We endured several hours of pro-war propaganda and anti-anything not currently endorsed by our current administration and the so-called party favorite. There is not anything that I feel can be done by staying in the GOP when they rig the system the way they have....Saying I am disillusioned would be an understatement. :mad:

ronpaulhawaii
04-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Bummer, sorry to hear of your railroading.

Righteous indignation can be a good thing...

SWATH
04-21-2008, 01:32 PM
I had to listen to resolutions being unanimously passed that included phrases like, "we vow to unquestioningly support the Global War on Terror" and "we vow to unquestioningly support Sen. John McCain"

I thought WTF, I thought we were Republicans, screw that I though we were Americans, WE DO NOT UNQUESTIONINGLY SUPPORT ANYTHING!

I also got to listen to one of my senators give a speech addressing the delegates and claim that:

1. McCain is a true conservative:eek:
2. McCain has changed his mind on amnesty and everything that made him liberal and is now a staunched conservative in the mold of Reagan:eek:
3. We must all rally behind him and support him, (even if you don't like him):eek:
4. McCain is better than Hillary and Obama because they have libertarian views of Campaign Finance Reform which will allow lobbyists to control the elections:eek:
5. The most important role of the Federal Government is to keep us safe:eek:
6. We must stay in Iraq as long as it takes:eek:
7. The bush administration has passed NO bad legislation only good, conservatives have been spoiled by him:eek:
8. Lincoln was a great president because he fought the civil war to end slavery and make sure all men are free.:eek:
9. Supporting our troops means unquestioningly supporting the war:eek:
10. If you dissent you are not a good Republican and thus not a good American:eek:

All of which garnered resounding bellows of approval and hand wringing.

I haven't been shocked so many times in one sitting since I tried to tan my ass with a toaster oven.

moostraks
04-21-2008, 02:00 PM
2. McCain has changed his mind on amnesty and everything that made him liberal and is now a staunched conservative in the mold of Reagan:eek:
3. We must all rally behind him and support him, (even if you don't like him):eek:
4. McCain is better than Hillary and Obama because they have libertarian views of Campaign Finance Reform which will allow lobbyists to control the elections:eek:
7. The bush administration has passed NO bad legislation only good, conservatives have been spoiled by him:eek:
8. Lincoln was a great president because he fought the civil war to end slavery and make sure all men are free.:eek:
10. If you dissent you are not a good Republican and thus not a good American:eek:

I haven't been shocked so many times in one sitting since I tried to tan my ass with a toaster oven.

They must be reading from the same playbook!!!! Love the toaster oven comment...LOL!!!!

moostraks
04-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Bummer, sorry to hear of your railroading.

Righteous indignation can be a good thing...

Well they sure have stirred the pot of my Irish anger...BTW sent Congressman Phil Gingrey a nice little love note of thanks for his illuminating speech that day. Can't wait to see his name at the next election....:D He was already whining for votes, well guess he just turned off two votes with dh and I.

parke
04-21-2008, 02:07 PM
I had to listen to resolutions being unanimously passed that included phrases like, "we vow to unquestioningly support the Global War on Terror" and "we vow to unquestioningly support Sen. John McCain"

I thought WTF, I thought we were Republicans, screw that I though we were Americans, WE DO NOT UNQUESTIONINGLY SUPPORT ANYTHING!

I also got to listen to one of my senators give a speech addressing the delegates and claim that:

I went through similar crap too. McCain is not a conservative and I personally refuse to support him.

We need to start our own Republican parties and keep it local and recruit. We are closer to people than the lapdogs and elites. We can create change on the local level.

slacker921
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
yep.. the GOP is doing a dandy job of turning it's own voters away.
Definitely write your congressman and others and let them know why you're not going to vote for them.

belian78
04-21-2008, 02:13 PM

Im totally using that toaster oven line, hope you dont mind!

SWATH
04-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Im totally using that toaster oven line, hope you dont mind!

Go ahead, it just came to me at the end while I was typing that rant.

rancher89
04-21-2008, 02:20 PM
yes the toaster oven line may have been the best thing to come from your weeks of agony, except you are even more determined to bring our country back to the constitution......IMHO!

acptulsa
04-21-2008, 02:22 PM
yep.. the GOP is doing a dandy job of turning it's own voters away.
Definitely write your congressman and others and let them know why you're not going to vote for them.

Start your petition and get Dr. Paul on Georgia's ballot with or without the G.O.P. Show them your love!

P.S. I can't imagine a better message to send than to get those petitions going in each state that railroads us while our rumps are still sore and red!

nc4rp
04-21-2008, 02:58 PM
wow thats sad. welcome to america!

freelance
04-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Well, I guess we no longer have to wonder about what happened at that TOP-LEVEL GOP meeting where they focused on "what to do about the Ron Paul problem," no do we?

speciallyblend
04-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Start your petition and get Dr. Paul on Georgia's ballot with or without the G.O.P. Show them your love!

P.S. I can't imagine a better message to send than to get those petitions going in each state that railroads us while our rumps are still sore and red!

everytime i try to push this ballot issue, the ron paul supporters say no,focus on the gop,but in the end ,they will not have a plan b and we wont have a choice in the general election....:(

if we could get the ron paul supporters to multi-task ,we would already have him on the ballots;)

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-21-2008, 05:19 PM
They must be reading from the same playbook!!!!

Yes, they are. And as much as I hate to say it, it seems like there are a lot of useful idiots out there. As far as those at the top, they've spent 50 years building their gravy train, and they have no intention of allowing concerned citizens to stop it. In fact, they'll be willing to go much further than they already are.

joemiller
04-21-2008, 11:20 PM
My dh and I attended yet another round of delegate nonsense to be sorely disappointed to find out that a slate of delegates had been selected to attend the national convention. They have now gotten $70.00 of our money for what?? (Not to mention several weekends of listening to a bunch of self-righteous pimps for the neocon GOP!)

We were never apprised of the meeting where this slate was chosen and the fiasco we attended insured that they were accepted due to a lousy system of voting where half the people in the room did not even understand what they were voting on (which was to accept the slate of delegates that had been cherry picked...) Rest assured this was a group of long term gop lapdogs who will vote for McCain just like they have been told to. I am disgusted!!!!

We endured several hours of pro-war propaganda and anti-anything not currently endorsed by our current administration and the so-called party favorite. There is not anything that I feel can be done by staying in the GOP when they rig the system the way they have....Saying I am disillusioned would be an understatement. :mad:

You have two choices, you can get run off or you can stay and fight. If you want to stay and fight, get yourself elected to a seat on your local Executive Committee. Or better yet, get all of the Ron Paul supporters in your county together, make sure your name is on the ballot for your GOP State representative for your county, and get yourself elected to that position. Nobody is going to roll over and play dead for you just because you think you have the answers.

joe

LibertyEagle
04-22-2008, 01:00 AM
There is not anything that I feel can be done by staying in the GOP when they rig the system the way they have....Saying I am disillusioned would be an understatement. :mad:

They're not going to give up easily. I spoke to a friend of my Mother's yesterday; they campaigned for Goldwater, Sr. back in the 60's. She sure had some stories to tell me. It appears that the GOP has been playing these games for a long time. They helped Goldwater, Sr. get the nomination by BECOMING the GOP, learning the ropes and all the dirty tricks the upper ups would try to play, outmaneuver them and sometimes, just rolling over them with pure numbers.

Most of us came at this campaign as political newbies who knew little of the Republican party, or how to truly get someone elected. We know more now. We need to apply what we've learned, find out more and infiltrate the heck out of the GOP from the local level on up. Become the GOP. The handful at the top will not be able to stop us then. We're at the beginning of this fight. It's no time to give up now.

amy31416
04-22-2008, 01:39 AM
They're not going to give up easily. I spoke to a friend of my Mother's yesterday; they campaigned for Goldwater, Sr. back in the 60's. She sure had some stories to tell me. It appears that the GOP has been playing these games for a long time. They helped Goldwater, Sr. get the nomination by BECOMING the GOP, learning the ropes and all the dirty tricks the upper ups would try to play, outmaneuver them and sometimes, just rolling over them with pure numbers.

Most of us came at this campaign as political newbies who knew little of the Republican party, or how to truly get someone elected. We know more now. We need to apply what we've learned, find out more and infiltrate the heck out of the GOP from the local level on up. Become the GOP. The handful at the top will not be able to stop us then. We're at the beginning of this fight. It's no time to give up now.

Thanks LE, I've been getting pretty discouraged and posts like yours help.

newyearsrevolution08
04-22-2008, 01:52 AM
local level is the best way to go on this effort I think as well and is why many including myself have already started.

We will have a ron paul style mayor for fresno real soon as long as he gets the support he needs. We are doing our best with the resources we have but even winning a mayoral spot takes money.

Its sad that money is what actually can decide who wins this or that and it should never have been setup that way. That is one thing I want to get changed.

The Only Woj
04-22-2008, 02:33 AM
I too oppose John McCain ... but you damn well better believe I'm going to vote for him to keep the Democrats out of the White House and from reaching further into my pocketbook and life.

Some of that stuff, on the list, is reallllly bad. Almost hilariously bad.

I mean ... #7 ... No Child Left Behind? Perscription Drug Program? Patriot Act? Please!

But ... #5 ... isn't that the duty of the Federal Government? Safety from threats? That's their area, at least that was my guess.

Remember, this isn't about just November. It goes beyond that, and the fight will be a long one.

georgiaboy
04-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Woj, I feel ya, but the best message the republicans can get this year is for us to not vote for McCain, to instead write-in Paul. They need to see in their post-election analysis where their loss came from. They need to see republican votes that showed up, voted, but did not vote their for their liberal. They don't need to see us as constitutional party, or libertarian party, or crossovers to the democrats. They need to see us as republicans who are paying attention and voting principle.

wgadget
04-22-2008, 07:58 AM

And I bet that before the shenanigans, you got to endure the "invocation." Let's all bow our heads and act like we're good Christian people for a minute or so...

wgadget
04-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Well they sure have stirred the pot of my Irish anger...BTW sent Congressman Phil Gingrey a nice little love note of thanks for his illuminating speech that day. Can't wait to see his name at the next election....:D He was already whining for votes, well guess he just turned off two votes with dh and I.

Somewhat off-topic, but recently I saw a chart showing Gingrey's net worth (It's way into the millions) and the Georgia companies he is beholden to. It was astonishing.

wgadget
04-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Well, I guess we no longer have to wonder about what happened at that TOP-LEVEL GOP meeting where they focused on "what to do about the Ron Paul problem," no do we?

We still have the state convention, and we have been instructed to forgo the incognito stuff and come out with all barrels blasting.

wgadget
04-22-2008, 08:03 AM

You mean they'll have to try to get their cronies to attend all their boring meetings in order to stop us? Hahahaha...

wgadget
04-22-2008, 08:05 AM
local level is the best way to go on this effort I think as well and is why many including myself have already started.

We will have a ron paul style mayor for fresno real soon as long as he gets the support he needs. We are doing our best with the resources we have but even winning a mayoral spot takes money.

Its sad that money is what actually can decide who wins this or that and it should never have been setup that way. That is one thing I want to get changed.

Go, Fresno! My daughter and son-in-law just moved out there in January from Atlanta. Unfortunately, they're Huckabee supporters. He's a Right to Life employee over there.

georgiaboy
04-22-2008, 08:15 AM
All districts in Georgia were not the same. Mine in particular was run with the utmost decorum, fairness, and opportunity for debate. That's all I hoped for - a fair fight. BTW, it was obvious the establishment was prepared in number for a potential RP block of voters. One of the speakers even commented on the great turnout for the event -- so whereas in years past these conventions have been attended poorly, this year the RP factor made everyone show up.

Though we still did not win the ultimate prize of national delegates, we impacted both ourselves and the establishment in the room in a very big way. We voted principle over and over again, and for an establishment person to see that was very powerful indeed. I hope they have some sleepless nights wondering if they were on the right side of the votes they cast. I also hope they think about the responsibility they carrry on to the national convention, and on who's shoulders the burden rests for determining our nominee. Yep, it's theirs.

I'm reminded of the wonderful film about Wilberforce, the man who ended legalized slavery in England. Think it's called "Amazing Grace". All of us who stood and were counted on the side of our founders and our constitution should walk tall and with pride.

People at these conventions will remember these events, and our efforts will bear fruit. I pray the fruit comes sooner rather than later.

georgiaboy

acptulsa
04-22-2008, 08:20 AM
All of us who stood and were counted on the side of our founders and our constitution should walk tall and with pride.

People at these conventions will remember these events, and our efforts will bear fruit. I pray the fruit comes sooner rather than later.

Amen.

SWATH
04-22-2008, 08:54 AM
And I bet that before the shenanigans, you got to endure the "invocation." Let's all bow our heads and act like we're good Christian people for a minute or so...

Yes we did. It's not the prayer that bothered me, it's the hypocrisy.

"Dear God, help us to be good Christians by letting us kill all the Arabs, and help us stop the Democrat Satanists from winning for we know that you are a good right-wing Republican, and protect us from the evil media when they seek to embarrass us with our own follies and misdeeds, and let us not tolerate any dissent or skepticism for it is of the devil. Please God let us nuke Iran and do away the hedonistic "freedoms" of the people, and help us to benefit other Christians like us even if through back-handed dealings. We ask that you guide the hearts of the delegates when they unanimously vote in favor of the few national delegates that we have meticulously hand selected to be nominated, and guide them when they vote unanimously in favor of the three history-revisionist resolutions that we read aloud and the other eight that we did not read and did not make available for anyone else to read because if the delegates knew what they were voting on, the devil may influence them to vote nay. And we ask that you kill Ron Paul for he is a servant of the devil sent to lead the flock astray. We ask is Christ's name, Amen"

moostraks
04-22-2008, 09:08 AM
All districts in Georgia were not the same. Mine in particular was run with the utmost decorum, fairness, and opportunity for debate. That's all I hoped for - a fair fight. BTW, it was obvious the establishment was prepared in number for a potential RP block of voters. One of the speakers even commented on the great turnout for the event -- so whereas in years past these conventions have been attended poorly, this year the RP factor made everyone show up.

Though we still did not win the ultimate prize of national delegates, we impacted both ourselves and the establishment in the room in a very big way. We voted principle over and over again, and for an establishment person to see that was very powerful indeed. I hope they have some sleepless nights wondering if they were on the right side of the votes they cast. I also hope they think about the responsibility they carrry on to the national convention, and on who's shoulders the burden rests for determining our nominee. Yep, it's theirs.

I'm reminded of the wonderful film about Wilberforce, the man who ended legalized slavery in England. Think it's called "Amazing Grace". All of us who stood and were counted on the side of our founders and our constitution should walk tall and with pride.

georgiaboy

You are more of an optomist than I am...These folks don't care one wit what we have to say and the time they spend in"listening" they think will passify those of us who have our hackles up over their theft of the republican platform for the neo-con agenda. Seems like the end result was the same even if the manner of achieving it was different. Wish I could see things as positively as you do....

moostraks
04-22-2008, 09:17 AM

LOL!!! Yep we got that and then the chairman made some snarky comment that democrats don't have to spend as much time at their meetings because they don't pray and they don't pledge allegiance to the flag. ergo democrats are not spiritual and not patriotic. Now I am not a democrat but they about got a rash of trash from me on that one, I just know that it won't further the cause any. I wish I had recorded it because some of these people need to be held accountable for their actions.

moostraks
04-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Somewhat off-topic, but recently I saw a chart showing Gingrey's net worth (It's way into the millions) and the Georgia companies he is beholden to. It was astonishing.

That doesn't surprise me. It sounds like old southern money when you hear him talk. He is strictly establishment.