PDA

View Full Version : American Community Survey (ACS) Fines up to $5000???

salsero96
04-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Has anyone here received the American Community Survey (ACS)? It asks all kinds of personal / private questions. Supposedly there are fines up to $5000 if I don't fill it out.

Does anyone know if this is legal?

-The American Community Survey is conducted under the authority of Title 13, United States Code, Sections 141 and 193, and response is mandatory. According to Section 221, persons who do not respond shall be fined not more than $100. Title 18 U.S.C. Section 3571 and Section 3559, in effect amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221 by changing the fine for anyone over 18 years old who refuses or willfully neglects to complete the questionnaire or answer questions posed by census takers from a fine of not more than $100 to not more than $5,000. The U.S. Census Bureau may use this information only for statistical purposes. We can assure you that your confidentiality is protected. Title 13 requires the Census Bureau to keep all information about you and all other respondents strictly confidential. Any Census Bureau employee who violates these provisions is subject to a fine of up to $250,000 or a prison sentence of up to five years, or both.

acptulsa
04-21-2008, 10:14 AM
The census is both legal and Constitutionally mandated. There's nothing in the Constitution, however, about asking more questions than is necessary to determine what the population is and how many people of voting age there are in an area. It was originally intended simply to be used in determining congressional districts--making sure every so many people were represented in the House. I've never gotten one. How nosy is the thing getting these days?

salsero96
04-21-2008, 10:41 AM
The census is both legal and Constitutionally mandated. There's nothing in the Constitution, however, about asking more questions than is necessary to determine what the population is and how many people of voting age there are in an area. It was originally intended simply to be used in determining congressional districts--making sure every so many people were represented in the House. I've never gotten one. How nosy is the thing getting these days?

I received 2 so far in the mail. I threw out the first one.

It starts off with the basic questions... Name, DoB, Sex, # of residents in Household, race, etc...

Then it goes a bit deeper...

What type of building you live in?

When was it built?

When did you move in?

How many acres?

Is there a business?

How many rooms?

How many bedrooms?

What fuel is used?

Last months electric bill?
- water bill
- gas bill

Has anyone received food stamps?

Estimate of how much your house is worth today?

Real Estate Tax?

All kinds of mortgage questions...

highest level of school attended?

Languages

Health Insurance?

Because of physical, mental or emotional conditions, does this person have serious problems concentrating, thinking, making decisions?

.. have problems dressing or bathing?

...climbing stairs

did this person work for pay last week?

at what location?
-address?

what time does this person leave home to go to work?

etc, etc, etc, etc...

DealzOnWheelz
04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
thats fucking ridiculous

acptulsa
04-21-2008, 11:52 AM
How many bedrooms?

Languages

Because of physical, mental or emotional conditions, does this person have serious problems concentrating, thinking, making decisions?

what time does this person leave home to go to work?

etc, etc, etc, etc...

From the bedroom to what languages you speak to the kind of question only a burglar would ask--and in between pure Thought Police Interrogation. Damnation. I'd email my federal Representative with an objection if I got one.

Actually, if I get one I think I'll just avoid admitting it on line and burn the bastard.

mdh
04-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Has anyone here received the American Community Survey (ACS)? It asks all kinds of personal / private questions. Supposedly there are fines up to $5000 if I don't fill it out.

Does anyone know if this is legal?

-The American Community Survey is conducted under the authority of Title 13, United States Code, Sections 141 and 193, and response is mandatory. According to Section 221, persons who do not respond shall be fined not more than $100. Title 18 U.S.C. Section 3571 and Section 3559, in effect amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221 by changing the fine for anyone over 18 years old who refuses or willfully neglects to complete the questionnaire or answer questions posed by census takers from a fine of not more than $100 to not more than $5,000. The U.S. Census Bureau may use this information only for statistical purposes. We can assure you that your confidentiality is protected. Title 13 requires the Census Bureau to keep all information about you and all other respondents strictly confidential. Any Census Bureau employee who violates these provisions is subject to a fine of up to $250,000 or a prison sentence of up to five years, or both.

The census is necessary for our current government to function. It is the means for the apportionment of congressional representation and should be taken seriously.

Mortikhi
04-21-2008, 12:25 PM
The last census I told them there were two adults of voting age in the house. Then they wanted to know about indoor plumbing, income, etc. I told them 'none of your fucking business'.

That's about the extent of it. I answered the legally required question (how many 18+ in the house) and that was it.

salsero96
04-21-2008, 01:50 PM
The last census I told them there were two adults of voting age in the house. Then they wanted to know about indoor plumbing, income, etc. I told them 'none of your fucking business'.

That's about the extent of it. I answered the legally required question (how many 18+ in the house) and that was it.

Yeah.. Thats about all they are going to get from me.

Aside from the privacy issues of this survey, I just have no time to fill it out.

soapmistress
04-21-2008, 02:49 PM
What time do you leave for work? (so we can search your house without any fuss...)

majinkoola
04-21-2008, 03:27 PM
The census was considered evil in the Bible.

soapmistress
04-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Mine says that the practice census has to be done or is punishable. Sheesh! We have to do it twice!

Michael Landon
09-30-2012, 04:35 PM
I received this in the mail, any suggestions on what to do with it?

- ML