PDA

View Full Version : House candidate ready to rock the GOP

slacker921
04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1208768132326570.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

House candidate ready to rock the GOP
''I'm in this to win," says David Gay, a punk rocker who seeks Walsh's seat.
Monday, April 21, 2008
By Mike McAndrew
Staff writer

David Gay says he's the unconventional congressional candidate who stands for conventional Republican ideals.

The 27-year-old, who was the Syracuse coordinator for Rep. Ron Paul's presidential campaign, has never run for public office.

He and his wife, Yusimy Gay-Martinez, who fled Cuba in 1999, live in a poor neighborhood on Syracuse's North Side with their 17-month-old son. ......

ronpaulhawaii
04-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Interesting...:mad: how they seemed to push the theme of "poor punk rocker". Perhaps that will backfire, helped by activity like this:

Sharply dressedin a blue dress shirt, gray slacks and a tie, Gay knocked on the doors of both registered Republicans and Democrats.

"I live right down the street. It's not every day a politician lives in our neighborhood," Gay said as he shook hands with Laurie Brown, of 215 Beecher St.

In the latest Census, the streets around Rose Hill Cemetery were home to predominantly white families and 30 percent of the households had incomes below the poverty level.

Brown, who has lived there 15 years, tells a reporter that she can't remember the last time a politician visited her block to ask for her vote.
"Probably never," she said.

<clapshands>

slacker921
04-21-2008, 11:02 AM
... but the part about having only raising $1,000 so far? .. which, he's right.. Ventura won the governor spot with very little campaign funding... but it's a rare thing for someone with less funding to win.

Are there any Paul supporters in that area helping him put out signs, canvass, etc?

David A. Gay, Sr.
04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Well, Dr. Paul endorsed me oficially today, so, that should help.

amy31416
04-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Well, Dr. Paul endorsed me oficially today, so, that should help.

Hey David, do you have a link to his endorsement and the statement from the Washington Post? (I believe that's what you said in another thread.)

David A. Gay, Sr.
04-21-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm still working on the Washington Post one, it was mentioned in my Sunday Paper that Wash Post had ranked our race most competitive, but I'm still working on the original source. As for Dr. Paul's endorsement, his chief of staff sent me an email with the following:

For use by David Gay:

"I believe David Gay is the best qualified candidate to serve in the US Congress from the 25th district of New York. David would make a strong replacement for Jim Walsh, who recently announced his retirement. David believes very strongly in the traditional Republican principles of constitutionally limited government and free enterprize. I am happy to give him my endorsement."

-- Ron Paul