PDA

View Full Version : A day at the conventions - McCain Love Fest

spacehabitats
04-21-2008, 06:39 AM
So my wife, another RP delegate, and I spent about 8 fun filled hours at the 5th district convention in Carroll, Iowa yesterday.
We actually met another RP delegate when he "blew his cover" by speaking in support of the Anti-NAU resolution. (He beat me to the microphone, darn him.) It passed easily BTW :).

Plenty of good platform resolutions went through, and a couple of stinkos went down in flames. The GOP platform in Iowa is already pretty good.

I was really disgusted to hear the speeches (by elected officials and party officers) talking about how John McCain was such a great war hero and trying to whip up grassroots support for him. If they had even a tenth of the enthusiasm for McCain that Dr. Paul elicits from his supporters they would be ECSTATIC.

I was pleased to see that the applause was pretty tepid considering all the cliched tricks the speakers were using. "If you say you support our troops, then you MUST support their MISSION.":eek:

Trust me the GOP leadership is well aware of their desperate need to gold plate this turd; excuse me, I mean "heal the party, close ranks, and move forward".

It is becoming increasingly obvious to me that as wonderful as any of the three presumptive candidates would be for the global fascists and their agenda of New World Order tyranny, John McCain IS truly their preference in November. He has all of the "virtues" of the other candidates with the added bonus of destroying the GOP as a vehicle for the Liberty movement in the future.

liberteebell
04-21-2008, 07:26 AM
8 hours?? Ick!

I spent 2.5 hours listening to a love fest for mcwar on Saturday and if I had a dollar for every time the word "unity" was mentioned, I could buy a nice new car today...Fall in line, comrade, or else!!

These delusional folks think that the battle is against democrats and yet, the presumptive nominee would make a good democrat, as would so many running for other offices under the republican brand. And they have the nerve to talk about how they all represent republican principles. I wanted to throw up.

Not saying that changing the party is impossible but unless it's something they've heard on boorts/hannity/limbaugh/fauxnews, they put their hands over their ears.

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-21-2008, 08:09 AM
8 hours?? Ick!

I spent 2.5 hours listening to a love fest for mcwar on Saturday and if I had a dollar for every time the word "unity" was mentioned, I could buy a nice new car today...Fall in line, comrade, or else!!

These delusional folks think that the battle is against democrats and yet, the presumptive nominee would make a good democrat, as would so many running for other offices under the republican brand. And they have the nerve to talk about how they all represent republican principles. I wanted to throw up.

Not saying that changing the party is impossible but unless it's something they've heard on boorts/hannity/limbaugh/fauxnews, they put their hands over their ears.

Was was the average age?

liberteebell
04-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Was was the average age?

The age range was surprisingly broad and there were a whole lot of people there who I'd never seen before (this was a city mass meeting). Don't let ages fool you though; of the Ron Paul supporters that I know of in the group there's me (51), a gal in her early 20's, a man in his late 50's and a couple in their mid 80's!

spacehabitats
04-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Was was the average age?

Of 500+ delegates it would be hard to say. Older than 40 would be safe. There weren't nearly as many young people as I would like to see. I would guess that almost 90% were Huckabee supporters at the time of the caucus (very strong evangelical presence). We need to wake these people up! They really don't like McCain or what he stands for, and they certainly wouldn't want what he is bringing in the way of North American "unity" if only they were aware of his real agenda.

What probably disgusted me most of all was Congressman Steve King's speech about McCain. King has been one of the leading congressional champions for stopping illegal immigration. Hearing him praise McCain and try to justify our enthusiastic support for John "Amnesty" McCain was absolutely nauseating.

JosephTheLibertarian
04-21-2008, 11:13 AM
I would have booed heh... throw stuff at the speaker :p Now that's a youtube I'd like to watch. Something like how when the crowd was heckling Bill Kristol when he was making a speech at some liberal campus. It's on youtube

wowabunga
04-21-2008, 11:27 AM

That's very well said and factual.

Time to take the message to the streets. Use any vehicle you wish. Just DO It.

Here's a nice good news story:

Yesterday at Earth Day one of the headline performers was told he could not sing several of his "political" songs. Something to the effect that if the event was seen as being partisan towards or against one group... then the event might loose their non-profit status with the IRS. Excuse me but I think Earth Day is as political as one might get.

Anyway the singer is a bright and wise lad... he's dresses in Colonial Attire and the name of his act is "The Patriot Act". One of his songs is "The Little Big Men" talking about the money changers, and the song that was banned was "THE GREASY LITTLE WEASEL FROM TEXAS". The performer sat at my Ron Paul booth ( successful day recruiting fyi) and he told me all day long the issue bothered him to great extent. At show time he made up his mind..... said he made a legal disclaimer that his songs do not represent the managment of the show and then... the show went on... Greasy Little Weasel was performed. Many of his fans in the crowd were demanding that he sing it anyway...!

spacehabitats
04-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Before the convention, my wife had sent out a flyer to all of the delegates and alternates announcing her intention to run for RNC delegate from the 5th district.
Anyway, one young lady recognized her from the picture and approached her to tell her that she agreed with almost everything she said in the flyer except the part about the war that said:

"I Believe...

That a strong national defense is vital,
but that draining our national treasury and
sacrificing the lives and limbs of our best
young men acting as the international
police force for the United Nations is NOT
making the United States more secure. "

One of her relatives died on Flight 95 and she knew without a doubt that we were doing the right thing in Iraq.

She finished off by saying, "I don't mind giving up some of my liberties and privacy to see that the terrorists are stopped."

Oh my people....

JosephTheLibertarian
04-21-2008, 05:15 PM
I would've have called her an ignorant fascist.

LibertyIn08
04-21-2008, 05:20 PM

A family member of hers died.

Perhaps a bit more tact would go a long way.

acroso
04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
McCain is the greatest war hero. He is like Achilles, the greek hero.

JosephTheLibertarian
04-21-2008, 05:25 PM

that justifies invading a nation that has done nothing to us? riiiiiiiiight

Feelgood
04-21-2008, 05:39 PM
She finished off by saying, "I don't mind giving up some of my liberties and privacy to see that the terrorists are stopped."

Oh my people....

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Ben Franklin

JosephTheLibertarian
04-21-2008, 05:44 PM
The best thing we can do for Iraq is to leave and then start/fund charitable organizations that will go over there and help them rebuild their country.

RonPaulGuyEastWA
04-21-2008, 06:09 PM

While I may disagree with your dislike for Steve Parent, I can certainly agree with the above statement. A little tact goes a long way...

diesirae
04-21-2008, 06:32 PM

So, your reaction to someone pouring her heart out about her beliefs following the gruesome murder of one of her relatives is to call her an ignorant fascist.

And people wonder why the Revolution has an image problem -- because some people don't want to explain to people why they're wrong, they'd rather just spit in their faces and call them names.

JosephTheLibertarian
04-21-2008, 06:34 PM
So, your reaction to someone pouring her heart out about her beliefs following the gruesome murder of one of her relatives is to call her an ignorant fascist.

And people wonder why the Revolution has an image problem -- because some people don't want to explain to people why they're wrong, they'd rather just spit in their faces and call them names.

How do you gather that much detail from what was written? LOL. She wants to kill innocent people all over the world just because some family member of hers died on 9/11. Wow, she's a hero!

Cowlesy
04-21-2008, 06:37 PM
He has all of the "virtues" of the other candidates with the added bonus of destroying the GOP as a vehicle for the Liberty movement in the future.

After an experience I had today which I will not elaborate about on this board, I completely agree with this statement.

liberteebell
04-21-2008, 06:47 PM
That's very well said and factual.

Time to take the message to the streets. Use any vehicle you wish. Just DO It.

Here's a nice good news story:

Yesterday at Earth Day one of the headline performers was told he could not sing several of his "political" songs. Something to the effect that if the event was seen as being partisan towards or against one group... then the event might loose their non-profit status with the IRS. Excuse me but I think Earth Day is as political as one might get.

Anyway the singer is a bright and wise lad... he's dresses in Colonial Attire and the name of his act is "The Patriot Act". One of his songs is "The Little Big Men" talking about the money changers, and the song that was banned was "THE GREASY LITTLE WEASEL FROM TEXAS". The performer sat at my Ron Paul booth ( successful day recruiting fyi) and he told me all day long the issue bothered him to great extent. At show time he made up his mind..... said he made a legal disclaimer that his songs do not represent the managment of the show and then... the show went on... Greasy Little Weasel was performed. Many of his fans in the crowd were demanding that he sing it anyway...!

"The Patriot Act": priceless!! :D:D Do you have photos or a youtube?

liberteebell
04-21-2008, 06:59 PM
After an experience I had today which I will not elaborate about on this board, I completely agree with this statement.

It beats you down, doesn't it? Even so, we can use their ammunition against them. My city committee is going on and on about growing the party and winning. So, I see that as time for me to prepare and give a speech (or 12!) on how they're dead in the water and will continue to lose as long as they abandon their stated principles. Most of the local members simply refuse to accept the fact that jorge booosh has done nearly irrepairable damage to the party (not to mention the country!) and they're excusing mcwar for everything and calling for unity. :mad:

If we work hard at changing the party, and all of our efforts fail, we can then have a mass exodus from the party with an opus telling them why.

In my area, we have a fairly active LP that's dying to have us and actively recruiting people and they have serious intentions (for a change) of running liberty candidates at the local and state level. It's not like we'd be homeless or anything.