PDA

View Full Version : Understanding the first round of voting at the GOP convention.

ProBlue33
04-20-2008, 10:20 PM
So from what I have been reading some delegates are bound in the first round and some are not.
So the unbound delegates are allowed to vote however they want, the states that allow these types of voting patterns are much more critical to Ron Paul than the states that have bound votes, where Ron Paul may have delegates that are legally bound to vote for McCain. From what I understand there is three options.

1)They vote for McCain first round, because they are forced to.
2)They vote for Ron Paul first round depending on the state their vote could be thrown out.
3)They simply abstain first round.

I don't think 1 is really an option a Ron Paul delegate wants to take under any circumstances.

My question is this, if enough abstain or have there votes tossed in the first round, could that be enough for McCain not to have required amount of delegates? If that happens that is the only shot of taking it from McCain as some of the states where Huckabee & Mitt won will have delegates that might not be so thrilled with McCain. I guess if Mitt or Huckabee are tapped for VP then Ron Paul really won't have any chance, for sure.

TastyWheat
04-21-2008, 01:25 AM
I'm pretty sure votes still count proportionally. So if 3 out of 30 delegates voted for McCain, the rest abstaining, he still gets the full 30 votes. I thought voting was mandatory (at least for bound delegates), but it would only help in states with unbound or bound Paul supporters (to dilute the McCain votes).

cjhowe
04-21-2008, 07:21 AM
I'm pretty sure votes still count proportionally. So if 3 out of 30 delegates voted for McCain, the rest abstaining, he still gets the full 30 votes. I thought voting was mandatory (at least for bound delegates), but it would only help in states with unbound or bound Paul supporters (to dilute the McCain votes).

Quite simply, no. Proportional voting would thereby entitle a delegate to more than one vote.

RULE NO. 29
Voting

(a) Each delegate to the convention shall be entitled to one (1) vote, which may be cast by an alternate delegate in the absence of the delegate, and an individual holding more than one (1) of the following positions: national committeeman; national committeewoman; or state chairman of any state, shall not be entitled to more than one (1) delegate seat and shall not be entitled to more than one (1) vote.

A Ron Paul Rebel
04-21-2008, 07:33 AM
2 questions...

1) Is it 50%+1 of TOTAL dlegates to win, OR is it 50%=1 of total VOTES to win???

and

2) Can bound delegates vote for WHO won their state? For example, if Huck
won a state where delegates are bound, then could RP dels vote Huck
instead of McBlows? And if so, those Huck votes would or wouldn't go to McShame?

Hunter

Bradley in DC
04-21-2008, 08:35 AM
My question is this, if enough abstain or have there votes tossed in the first round, could that be enough for McCain not to have required amount of delegates?

Your options presented do NOT accurately reflect the realities of the voting process. Votes are made, tabulated and announced by state. If a delegate is not upholding one's duty as a delegate, they would be replaced by an alternate. There is no voting for anyone who does not meet the requirements to be nominated. There is abstaining in the order by state in the first round yes (but the states that are passed in the order then vote at the end, all still counting in the first round), but not individuals completely abstaining, no.

JosephTheLibertarian
04-21-2008, 08:40 AM
what if there is no alternate?

Bradley in DC
04-21-2008, 08:41 AM
what if there is no alternate?

There is an alternate for every elected delegate (not the three party leader "superdeletes" from each state though).

TastyWheat
04-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Quite simply, no. Proportional voting would thereby entitle a delegate to more than one vote.

RULE NO. 29
Voting

(a) Each delegate to the convention shall be entitled to one (1) vote, which may be cast by an alternate delegate in the absence of the delegate, and an individual holding more than one (1) of the following positions: national committeeman; national committeewoman; or state chairman of any state, shall not be entitled to more than one (1) delegate seat and shall not be entitled to more than one (1) vote.
Okay, so they're assuming that there will be at least 2380 delegates and alternates combined. Not to say they won't fill all the seats, but I assumed they would've allowed proportional voting just in case. This is important to note. Every single person does matter.

TastyWheat
04-21-2008, 02:27 PM
RULE NO. 40
Nominations

(a) In making the nominations for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States and voting thereon, the roll of the states shall be called separately in each case; provided, however, that if there is only one candidate for nomination for Vice President of the United States who has demonstrated the support required by paragraph (b) of this rule, a motion to nominate for such office by acclamation shall be in order and no calling of the roll with respect to such office shall be required.

(b) Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of five (5) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination.

The state party rules may prevent this, but what if we just don't nominate McCain?

JosephTheLibertarian
04-21-2008, 03:49 PM
There is an alternate for every elected delegate (not the three party leader "superdeletes" from each state though).

what if the alternates are RP supporters?

A Ron Paul Rebel
04-23-2008, 06:35 AM
I still haven't seen an answer to my questions!!!

2 questions...

1) Is it 50%+1 of TOTAL dlegates to win, OR is it 50%=1 of total VOTES to win???

and

2) Can bound delegates vote for WHO won their state? For example, if Huck
won a state where delegates are bound, then could RP dels vote Huck
instead of McBlows? And if so, those Huck votes would or wouldn't go to McShame?

Hunter

TastyWheat
06-10-2008, 02:44 PM
1) The magic number is 1191 votes (which is 50%+1).
2) State rules dictate who the national delegates are bound to vote for (and for how many rounds). Generally speaking though, if you were bound to vote for a specific candidate and that candidate dropped out, his delegates were forfeited and you are unbound. Don't be fooled if one candidate pledges his delegates to someone else, a candidate's delegates aren't required to vote for anyone else.

rathskeller
06-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Have you guys not been following the conventions? The GOP has effectively shut out hte Ron Paul delegates. Even if every single one abstained (which they won't), MCcain has the numbers. Period.

I have to think back to The rincesss Bide and said "Good Lord...are you still trying to win? when it comes to the nomination.

You know who ISN'T trying to win the nomination anymore? RON PAUL! So STOP already! You make yourselvesd look like frickin' idiots, and in doing so, yoiu will never ever be taken seriously again. Tell me...how does that help your cause?

Sandra
06-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Please report the trolls.

A Ron Paul Rebel
06-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Have you guys not been following the conventions? The GOP has effectively shut out hte Ron Paul delegates. Even if every single one abstained (which they won't), MCcain has the numbers. Period.

I have to think back to The rincesss Bide and said "Good Lord...are you still trying to win? when it comes to the nomination.

You know who ISN'T trying to win the nomination anymore? RON PAUL! So STOP already! You make yourselvesd look like frickin' idiots, and in doing so, yoiu will never ever be taken seriously again. Tell me...how does that help your cause?

That was 2 months ago, lol.

All the same, non-Ron Paul delegates are becoming
enlightened every day!

TastyWheat
06-11-2008, 09:14 AM

Chances of anyone giving a shit what you have to say? 0.0000001%.

acptulsa
06-11-2008, 09:19 AM

I was thinking this was our old friend abe, but I'm not so sure. At least abe could type.