PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to help this movement?

yongrel
04-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Quick question:

What is the single best way to help this movement?

I know what I think, but I'm curious as to the opinions of others. Not a lot is getting done, and I want to know why.

Bradley in DC
04-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Lots of ways. If you are in a state that has not yet voted (or still in process in a multi-stage process), VOTE!

Help the next generation of RP candidates--Vern McKinley money bomb May 1st!

Kludge
04-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Go local, stay local. Info booths! Make yourself well-known as a libertarian groupie(clothes, bumper-stickers, etc) to provoke interest or... anger. Place libertarian magazines on businesses' magazine rack. Become a teacher or other influential figure.

amy31416
04-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Well you know what I think, I suspect. But I'll put it out there:

1. More Congressional candidates who have platforms similar to Paul's.

2. Promoting that people voting at local levels are informed about everyone they're voting for, no matter what the level of government is. Encouraging more people who are loyal to the Constitution to take part in local government.

3. Supporting and encouraging people who are "worthy" to run for these offices in areas where they have a shot.

Oh wait, you said single. Damn.

DeadtoSin
04-20-2008, 02:22 PM
I think there are two things that need to be done. First, like these guys say, we need to be very involved locally. That's going to be hard for everyone to see a real effect from immediately. I also think we need one project that a lot of people get behind. We have all sorts of projects going on all at once, some bigger (The march on DC), some smaller. Everyone is kind of doing their own thing right now, and not much traction is getting made on that front.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Quick question:

That I can do, that anyone could do, or that someone in particular could do?

I think there are a lot of Paul supporters who are unaware of the delegate success stories, and unaware of congressional and senate candidates. If they were aware of those things, many would be back working again.

ForLibertyFight
04-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Perseverance

Continue spreading the message

ForLiberty-RonPaul
04-20-2008, 02:30 PM
finally a good thread!! thank you Yongrel!

MelissaWV
04-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Doing one thing at a time isn't my thing...

If I had to narrow it down to a soundbite, I'd have to say Lead by Example

If you can, become a delegate; help with the process; go to the party meetings AND STAY THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH; go to the state Convention; put out signs; wear your gear out often (and cleanly); provide literature courteously and as-appropriate; support causes with your time and money when you can; get the word out any way you can!; support your local Paul-friendly people running for any office at all, or run yourself; be a shining example of what a free-thinking, open-minded person would be; present your debates in a tactful way and appeal to the listener's sensibilities (instead of being insulting or condescending... I know that's hard sometimes).

The second soundbite? Educate yourself and guide others to your resources. I did not say "educate others" for a reason. Person A reads and becomes an absolute expert. A tells B. B is smart enough, and tells C. C kind of talks to D and expresses some of the points, but the information's getting distorted. By the time Z hears about the delegate process, it's all wrong. Now if B through Z go back to the same resources A did, there'd be less distortion and hearsay. Look for loopholes, look for traps.

Politics is designed to seem like it works, but once you dig into it you realize it's a mess. Learn your local laws, the requirements, the hoops to leap through, and the penalties for infractions. Some of you are chomping at the bit to stick it to the establishment, and it's probably there in black & white to some extent, all legal, and oh so sweet ;P

nate895
04-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Well I am going to help get Michael Delavar elected to Congress, you could substitute that for your local candidates.

Kludge
04-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Educate yourself and guide others to your resources. I did not say "educate others" for a reason. Person A reads and becomes an absolute expert. A tells B. B is smart enough, and tells C. C kind of talks to D and expresses some of the points, but the information's getting distorted. By the time Z hears about the delegate process, it's all wrong. Now if B through Z go back to the same resources A did, there'd be less distortion and hearsay. Look for loopholes, look for traps.

Sometimes I wonder if we thank Brian and Josh as much as we should... ;)

Mckarnin
04-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Quick question:

I know what I think, but I'm curious as to the opinions of others. Not a lot is getting done, and I want to know why.

Lots of things are looking great, this is what I am working on:

www.FreedomsGround.org
"Sowing Freedom One Mind at a Time."

Truth Warrior
04-20-2008, 03:30 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/kludge

Hmmmmmmm?

Kludge
04-20-2008, 03:32 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/kludge

Hmmmmmmm?

Hmm?

Bradley in DC
04-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Well I am going to help get Michael Delavar elected to Congress, you could substitute that for your local candidates.

Excellent. If not your own local (DC is a lost cause), then regional--I'm helping Vern McKinley's race and working with Amit's people.

brandon
04-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Quick question:

Alot is getting done. It is hapenning on the local level. This forum is no longer a fair representation of what is going on in the movement. Go to your meetup and network with the local people.

Best thing to do now is become republican committemen to improve the viability of future freedom campaigns, both local and national.

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Tough to choose just one thing, but I think educating the public is a key component.

bucfish
04-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Educate, Educate, Educate!!!

Deborah K
04-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Here's a way to educate:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=132084

And here's a good tool for the booklet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtzrqvPfnE0&feature=PlayList&p=98E36FE9A70F7F2C&index=0

Truth Warrior
04-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Educate, Educate, Educate!!!

The GOP and the Delegates

Posted by Butler Shaffer at April 20, 2008 11:47 AM
So, the Republican hierarchy has informed some delegates to the national convention that they ought not think of themselves as having any real input into the process. The role of the delegates, they were told, is to "contribute to the TV image" of the party by "applauding and cheering at the 'right' places." Some Ron Paul supporters suspect that such instructions are directed toward them.

Why should anyone be surprised by this? Why should delegates to a national convention think they should have any more influence in selecting the party's nominee or policies than do the voters themselves? The government's owners have made their selection of candidates suitable to their interests; the Republocratic Party will announce its acceptable alternatives from which Boobus may choose; and everyone is to be content reinforcing the illusion that, in America, "the people" are the government. Just who those "people" are is never to be revealed, of course, particularly by those few upstarts who might have views that differ from those of the owners.

So, at convention time, just show up and participate in the collective mantra in which the cheerleaders will direct you: "Rickety, rickety, siss-boom-bah, John McCain, John McCain, rah-rah-rah."

surf
04-20-2008, 05:49 PM
become a republican committee person or precinct committee officer or whatever the most local office is. you can hold on to your precinct office, generally, along with other positions you may take. we can stay true to our ideals, and the more of us that respect the constitution at the local level, the better it'll get because we'll be the ones often picking candidates that best represent freedom, peace and prosperity.

I believe a resolution was passed last weekend at the King Co. Convention to have the pcos determine the "endorsements" in contested races.

joemiller
04-20-2008, 06:20 PM
The GOP and the Delegates

Posted by Butler Shaffer at April 20, 2008 11:47 AM
So, the Republican hierarchy has informed some delegates to the national convention that they ought not think of themselves as having any real input into the process. The role of the delegates, they were told, is to "contribute to the TV image" of the party by "applauding and cheering at the 'right' places." Some Ron Paul supporters suspect that such instructions are directed toward them.

Why should anyone be surprised by this? Why should delegates to a national convention think they should have any more influence in selecting the party's nominee or policies than do the voters themselves? The government's owners have made their selection of candidates suitable to their interests; the Republocratic Party will announce its acceptable alternatives from which Boobus may choose; and everyone is to be content reinforcing the illusion that, in America, "the people" are the government. Just who those "people" are is never to be revealed, of course, particularly by those few upstarts who might have views that differ from those of the owners.

So, at convention time, just show up and participate in the collective mantra in which the cheerleaders will direct you: "Rickety, rickety, siss-boom-bah, John McCain, John McCain, rah-rah-rah."

After being a 15-year Executive Committee member for my local Republican Party, I can tell you that is exactly the attitude the Republican "elite" think of you and the rest of the local country bumpkins... but it doesn't have anything to do with you supporting Ron Paul or whoever. This is why I have been asking everyone to first win your own race for your own seat on your local Executive Committee. Believe me, if we can act as one in this regard, it can make a difference. All you have to do is at least win your seat on your local Executive Committee and we can take back the People's Party from those who have taken it.

joe

Truth Warrior
04-20-2008, 06:26 PM
After being a 15-year Executive Committee member for my local Republican Party, I can tell you that is exactly the attitude the Republican "elite" think of you and the rest of the local country bumpkins... but it doesn't have anything to do with you supporting Ron Paul or whoever. This is why I have been asking everyone to first win your own race for your own seat on your local Executive Committee. Believe me, if we can act as one in this regard, it can make a difference. All you have to do is at least win your seat on your local Executive Committee and we can take back the People's Party from those who have taken it.

joe

Thanks Joe, for the first hand confirmation. :)

joemiller
04-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks Joe, for the first hand confirmation. :)

This is such a critical first step. I am only saddened we have had no real leadership from Ron Paul's campaign in this regard, especially when so little could mean so much for years to come.

joe