PDA

View Full Version : For those who still aren't convinced that the MSM is used to manipulate the public...

The One
04-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Here's and article by the MSM reporting on how the MSM is used as a propaganda tool by the pentagon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24220130

rpfan2008
04-20-2008, 07:45 AM
http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Bush_administration_manipulated_TV__04202008.html

bucfish
04-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Spread this far and wide

pcosmar
04-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Is this really news to anyone here?

I used to get all my news from the MSM before I got a computer (in 2003), I still listen to what they say, then go online for "the rest of the story".

freelance
04-20-2008, 08:25 AM
For those not already convinced, it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too late. They are lost causes.

Bruno
04-20-2008, 08:53 AM

I used to get all my news from the MSM before I got a computer (in 2003), I still listen to what they say, then go online for "the rest of the story".

It may not be news to a lot of people here, but it sure will be news to a lot of others who still didn't believe until they read these articles that they have been manipulated by the media and the Bush administration.

For those not already convinced, it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too late. They are lost causes.

There's still hope for many of them!

RonPaulFever
04-20-2008, 09:13 AM
The newspaper said in trying to achieve its goal, the administration exploited not only ideological and military allegiances but also a powerful financial dynamic, namely the fact that most of these analysts have ties to military contractors vested in the very war policies they are asked to assess on television.

DURRRRRRRRRRRR

Highland
04-20-2008, 09:23 AM
I am sure that is where a lot of the $$$ went for the war....propaganda

brandon
04-20-2008, 09:40 AM
This article itself is loaded with propaganda

"Records and interviews show how the Bush administration has used its control over access and information in an effort to transform the analysts into a kind of media Trojan horse — an instrument intended to shape terrorism coverage from inside the major TV and radio networks," the newspaper said.

whoa whoa! Hold up! Terrorism?? The rest of the article has been about our unprovoked invasion of Iraq and now they just manage to drop the terrorism word in out of no where! Nice sly way to say that iraq coverage and terrorism coverage are the same thing.

What terrorism coverage could they possibly be reffering to? 9/11 was the only terrorist action that has happened to us. If they are talking about 9/11, why dont they just specifically say so instead of being vague and saying "terrorism coverage."

brandon
04-20-2008, 09:45 AM
I am sure that is where a lot of the $$$ went for the war....propaganda

WIthout a doubt. I'm sure they spent much more on propganda targeting the iraqis that propoganda targeting us. Why are the Iraqis resistant to the same propganda techniques that have 90% of our country brainwashed?

sratiug
04-20-2008, 10:26 AM
bump

kigol
04-20-2008, 10:26 AM
haha

JosephTheLibertarian
04-20-2008, 10:29 AM
The MSM is doing it on their own. The MSM are the biggest lobbyists in Washington. We're depending on a special interest groups to give us our news, this is pathetic lol

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Here's another longer article...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/washington/20generals.html?_r=2&ex=1366344000&en=016e2520ffb3ab0b&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

That crap happens online too with social networks and message boards, I guarantee it.

The One
04-20-2008, 01:51 PM
bump

qh4dotcom
04-20-2008, 01:57 PM
I blame more the voters and their stupidity for allowing themselves to be manipulated by the media than the media itself.

Here's why I think that way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zsr0UpVjoE

GunnyFreedom
04-20-2008, 03:18 PM
I blame more the voters and their stupidity for allowing themselves to be manipulated by the media than the media itself.

Here's why I think that way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zsr0UpVjoE

Ain't that the truth! The facts were out there clearly enough so that anybody who actually cared enough about making an informed decision could have been informed, but too many people care more about American Idol than about foreign and domestic policy.

Geronimo
04-20-2008, 03:51 PM

Patriot123, perhaps.

Tarzan
04-20-2008, 03:55 PM
This article is a load of krap... the MSM blaming the Pentagon for influencing them.

Bulls**t... the were the ones beating the drum to invade Iraq... right along side of the administration.

It really makes it hard to decide who should be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. :)

acptulsa
04-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Monday bump.

DFF
04-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Watch http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/ for a real breakdown of what's going on in our world. Granted, it's an amalgam of facts and conspiracy, but there's more of the former than the latter, IMO.

mczerone
04-21-2008, 09:01 AM
It said Pentagon documents referred to the military analysts as "message force multipliers" or "surrogates" who could be counted on to deliver administration "themes and messages" to millions of Americans "in the form of their own opinions."

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman defended the Defense Department's work with military analysts, saying they were given only factual information about the war.

"The intent and purpose of this is nothing other than an earnest attempt to inform the American people," he told the Times, adding it was "a bit incredible" to think retired military officers could be "wound up" and used as "puppets of the Defense Department."

So the official defense is (a) they were not given any wrong information to dispel, just a point of view to speak from and (b) the puppets had no strings: though the DoD told them what to say, and how, and arranged for the analysts to be on TV to say it, but they didn't have a gun to their head while being taped.

Notice Whitman's wording: "an earnest attempt to inform the American people" is not the same as attempting to earnestly inform. He says they "truly tried" not that they "tried to be true". And for saying it to be "a bit incredible" for the DoD to use these veterans in this way, he didn't say they weren't doing it.

Sickening.

DealzOnWheelz
04-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Wow

Broadlighter
04-21-2008, 01:18 PM
I read the NY Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/washington/20generals.html?ex=1209355200&en=2270acd78078af91&ei=5070&emc=eta1), which basically explains how the Pentagon used former military officers with ties to contractors to counteract news that was critical of the war effort coming from MSM's own reporting staff.

It was interesting how they would be briefed by Rumsfeld to all say the same thing in lock step with the Bush Administration. It was pretty carefully calculated to sell the war.

What this tells me is that in spite of it all, We the people hold the real power. We are the ones they want to buy their bullcrap. As long as enough people keep swallowing it, the same policies will continue.