PDA

View Full Version : MoveOn to promote our message

ronpaulhawaii
04-19-2008, 03:26 PM
From my inbox

Dear Michael,
I'm looking at an amazing new poll.
We commissioned it earlier this year. It shows that voters in all 50 states see a link between the war and our sinking economy. Folks across the country think getting out of Iraq is one of the best ways to help fix our deepening economic crisis.
This message is political dynamite. If the link between Iraq war spending and the recession was in the headlines, John McCain and other pro-war politicians wouldn't get away with their endless war strategy.
We've got to spread the word—so we're ramping up a massive "Iraq/Recession" campaign to get the message out that the war is standing in the way of economic recovery. We'll use ads, bird-dogging, local press conferences from coast to coast, and a host of other methods to make the point...

Seems to me that we could make use of this, and turn this into free publicity for our side.

And what the hell is "bird-dogging" anyway?

Kludge
04-19-2008, 03:40 PM
From my inbox

Seems to me that we could make use of this, and turn this into free publicity for our side.

Cool-ish!

Have never come across "Bird-dogging"... Would it relate to hunting?

Democrats have a history of donation to libertarian causes/candidates for the sole purpose of "stealing" from the Republican voter base. I'll be interested to see what's worked out this year if the LP has a strong candidate and RP doesn't get the nomination.

Edit: errr- Wait... You're subscribed to MoveOn's newsletter...? =P

ronpaulhawaii
04-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Cool-ish!

Have never come across "Bird-dogging"... Would it relate to hunting?

Democrats have a history of donation to libertarian causes/candidates for the sole purpose of "stealing" from the Republican voter base. I'll be interested to see what's worked out this year if the LP has a strong candidate and RP doesn't get the nomination.

Edit: errr- Wait... You're subscribed to MoveOn's newsletter...? =P

:o;)

Keep you friends close, and your enemies closer...

I looked into them a while back to learn a bit about methodology, they are quite effective.

I'll have to look into the bird-dogging thing.

I imagine, if they do this, we will start to see articles and reports along these lines locally, probably a good time for Letters to The Editor...

asgardshill
04-19-2008, 03:52 PM
http://www.cleanupwashington.org/action/page.cfm?pageid=73

bird-dog (bûrd'-dôg), v. To follow, monitor and/or seek out a subject of interest, such as a public official, with persistent attention to get answers to questions or influence the subject.

ronpaulhawaii
04-19-2008, 03:57 PM

bird-dog (bûrd'-dôg), v. To follow, monitor and/or seek out a subject of interest, such as a public official, with persistent attention to get answers to questions or influence the subject.

Ah, the Michael Moore style of politiking...

Thanks

rancher89
04-19-2008, 04:00 PM

lol--very nice! We are Change has used this method to good effect, ie Ghouliani...

Lovecraftian4Paul
04-19-2008, 04:16 PM
I'd say Moveon is interested for their own purposes: hoping to hold McCain's heat to the fire so that he can't keep sitting back laughing while Obama and Hillary have their kitten fight. Still, if it helps spread our message, I don't really care. If we can coax them into mentioning Dr. Paul, or even portraying him as a competitive candidate against McCain, then all the better...

amy31416
04-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Don't hate on him for getting the messages from moveon.org, I got it too. I also get Baldwin's messages, RP's messages, even NARAL--anything of interest. It's good to be informed across the spectrum.

angelatc
04-19-2008, 04:35 PM
MoveOn was originally formed under the guise of being a non-partisan organization to simply censure President Clinton and then move on. They are insane lunatics now.

Gin
04-19-2008, 04:35 PM
They are liberals in my opinion (well depending on the issue), but they at least have a grasp on the economic situation and will wake the sheeple up.... they are a very big group and a good one to have in our corner.....this is a good thing for sure

ItsTime
04-19-2008, 04:37 PM
You do realize that most of the US see Obama as the "anti-war" candidate right?

liberteebell
04-19-2008, 04:39 PM
I'd say Moveon is interested for their own purposes: hoping to hold McCain's heat to the fire so that he can't keep sitting back laughing while Obama and Hillary have their kitten fight. Still, if it helps spread our message, I don't really care. If we can coax them into mentioning Dr. Paul, or even portraying him as a competitive candidate against McCain, then all the better...

The challenge for us is to show everyone that this is not about party politics but about our country, our people and our freedoms. My slogan is, "freedom is not a political party". The moveon people usually despise republicans and won't even give them a second thought (except for how to tear them down). Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get their group to see The Truth?

ronpaulhawaii
04-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Nice to see all the sentiments about MoveOn ;)

The good thing is that the economic reality of our failed foreign policy will be broadcast. This can only help us. Me-thinks people could stay alert for this campaign and use it to our advantage.

...and scouting the adversaries camp is a time honored tradition :p

nigelwentworth
04-19-2008, 08:25 PM
In my part of the woods, "Bird-Dogging" is where you pay money/favors to someone that gets something for you. In this case, such as, paying a columnist some favor ( money, Booze )for getting some point of view you are trying to get out in the newspaper.

Another example would be to pay a radio show host to talk favorably about some topic you are trying to get out into the public, after the fact.

The payment is ALWAYS after the fact. Not pay then play. What happens is that the word gets out that someone or a group is paying favors and other columnists, radio personalities, etc. gets on the bandwagon talking that item up in the hope that they also get "paid".

The whole idea is that it is not "supposed" to be a bribe as there is no "prid quo pro".
Such as you do this and we will pay this. A variation is to "ask" for a "favor" but NEVER say that if they do it, they will get paid. The recipient gets paid when the favor is done.

The person doing the favor does not know what, who, where, when they will be paid.

Thats All

freedom_junkie
04-20-2008, 05:13 AM
Let us not forget the impact of the highway blogger ey?

Conza88
04-20-2008, 05:22 AM
If they knew what was good for this country, they'd be supporting Ron Paul.
Until that day, they are the key representatives of the false-left.

ronpaulhawaii
04-21-2008, 01:09 PM
update - at Ma's house, MoveOn rep just callled and the are organizing a county building protest. I'd imagine this is happening nationwide...

acptulsa
04-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Down this way, a bird dog (when not actually a bird dog) is someone who's exceptionally persistent. Hasn't become a verb here yet. As for MoveOn.org, I don't guess associating with them can hurt us much with conservatives at this point, right? And as for it being comprised of liberals, well, we've always said we could deliver the crossover vote, right?

Have we got anything to lose but our freedoms and our Constitution? I say we learn to smile big and say welcome.

We need all the help we can get. At this stage of the game I'd welcome Jimmy Carter's endorsement. We need support. We need a coalition. We need Americans--not just ________s or only ________s but Americans--all we can get.

Broadlighter
04-21-2008, 01:23 PM

Bird-dogging means to watch everything very closely. Be a watch-dog.

ronpaulhawaii
04-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Down this way, a bird dog (when not actually a bird dog) is someone who's exceptionally persistent. Hasn't become a verb here yet. As for MoveOn.org, I don't guess associating with them can hurt us much with conservatives at this point, right? And as for it being comprised of liberals, well, we've always said we could deliver the crossover vote, right?

Have we got anything to lose but our freedoms and our Constitution? I say we learn to smile big and say welcome.

We need all the help we can get. At this stage of the game I'd welcome Jimmy Carter's endorsement. We need support. We need a coalition. We need Americans--not just ________s or only ________s but Americans--all we can get.

I'm not thinking about associating with them as much as just letting people know that this will be a nationwide campaign to shed light on some issues we hold near and dear. I was thinking more on the lines of Letters to the Editor when these bird-dog "news" stories start surfacing and referencing them in local discussions/meetings.

That said, there may be opportunities to either picket or counter-picket these demonstrations depending on demographics. If I went, I would bring an RP sign and probably end up debating other attendees on issues I feel MoveOn is wrong about.

Broadlighter
04-21-2008, 01:32 PM
I recently received a forwarded e-mail from MoveOn.org that was supposed to be an expose of John McCain and his conservatism. Upon reading it, I found myself in agreement with some of McCain's positions because they were limited government ideas.

I don't trust MoveOn.org. They want to link the economic downturn to the war. That's all fine and well, but they won't link it all the way back to the Federal Reserve System and the oligarchs who run this country.

I would welcome their support if they were open to understanding that side of the story, but I don't think they will.

acptulsa
04-21-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't trust MoveOn.org. They want to link the economic downturn to the war. That's all fine and well, but they won't link it all the way back to the Federal Reserve System and the oligarchs who run this country.

I would welcome their support if they were open to understanding that side of the story, but I don't think they will.

I agree. But if they can help us help the public take this baby step, why wouldn't we use them just that far?

ronpaulhawaii
04-21-2008, 01:40 PM
I recently received a forwarded e-mail from MoveOn.org that was supposed to be an expose of John McCain and his conservatism. Upon reading it, I found myself in agreement with some of McCain's positions because they were limited government ideas.

I don't think anyone here is talking about supporting MoveOn. As far as changing their views, that would take a lot of work. I am, merely, looking forward to watching the bird-dogged "news" change with this campaign, and feel it can be worked to our advantage...

Broadlighter
04-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Here's the thing - The government was able to go to war by borrowing money. The Fed's system of fractionalizing the deposits created by the loans, pumped more money into the economy creating inflation and the precipitous drop in the dollar. This is what MoveOn can use to make their point. No war, no impetus to borrow.

We need to take the alcoholic out of the bar and put him in a tank so he can sober up, then rehabilitate him by re-familiarizing himself with the Constitution.

Then we fire the bartender and turn the bar into a juice bar, where people can come to drink healthy, nutritious fluids instead of alcohol.

No offense intended for all the drinkers here. I'm talking about our government. What you do in your own home or in your own community is none of my damn business.