PDA

View Full Version : Iowa's First District Ignores Rules & Censors Ron Paul Speaker

Todd McGreevy
04-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Full posting at DailyPaul.com (http://www.dailypaul.com/node/46314)

At 10 a.m., Iowa's First Congressional District got started under a cloud of hypocrisy and censorship. Bill Dix (http://en.wikipedia.org/w...), chair for the convention disallowed Thomas Rutherford to speak on behalf of presidential candidate Ron Paul citing, "He is not a candidate, John McCain is our candidate." When Mr. Dix thought Mr. Rutherford, a military veteran, was actually going to speak on behalf of John McCain, he allowed Rutherford to take the mic. As soon as he began speaking about Ron Paul, he ruled him out of order and would not let him speak. I objected to the consideration of the question, which forced a vote for or against Dix's ruling of Rutherford out of order.

Rule IV of the Convention, which states:
IV. Convention Speakers
Federal and statewide elected officials and candidates, or their official representatives, may be recognized and allowed three minutes to speak.

Three opposed to the ruling and three in favor of the ruling were allowed to speak.
Those who voted to censor Rutherford from speaking, kept stating like lemmings that "John McCain has our nomination" to the din of delegates yelling out, "Not yet he isn't."
The convention wasted 15 minutes on a rule of order while they could have listened to Rutherford for 3 minutes. "Let him talk," folks yelled out.
Dix would have none of it. The vote was called and passed upon a raise of the hands by 2/3. Dix reiterated that Ron Paul is not a candidate.

The convention moved onto the committee reports, missing any chance for any inspiration or substantive perspective. The sargeant at arms came by to check my credentials.

Full posting at DailyPaul.com (http://www.dailypaul.com/node/46314)

TER
04-19-2008, 11:20 AM
This is how revolutions develop. Keep up the good fight!

Feelgood
04-19-2008, 11:45 AM
HOLY SHIT! My blood is boiling! Does anyone have this pricks phone number?

Edit: Any way to confirm this is him before blasting it all over the place?

William Dix

317 S Walnut St
Shell Rock, IA 50670-7782

(319) 885-6790

JosephTheLibertarian
04-19-2008, 11:48 AM
I would walk up and get "out of order" on his face.

ronpaulitician
04-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Methinks the GOP is starting to show its desperation.

Bossobass
04-19-2008, 12:27 PM
The same sort of thing happened at our district convention, but someone had the presence of mind to rise and state that the ability to deliver a 3 minute speech is a permanent rule that could not be voted on on a specific, per case basis.

They would technically have to motion and carry, by a 2/3 majority, a change to the permanent rules.

This motion could be countered by a motion to table the vote until such time as a carefully crafted rule change can be affected and reviewed by all delegates.

In the meanwhile, the delegate should be given 3 minutes.

Since they made no such motion, the vote for or against the delegate's ability to speak for 3 minutes is out of order.

Ah, good old Iowa. Grand Old Party.

I thought Iowa elected Mike Huckabee? Didn't RP place 3rd, ahead of Thompson and McCain? Oh yeah, that was BEFORE they 'adjusted' the vote count.

Bosso

hotbrownsauce
04-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Same BS happening in Missouri.

Aratus
04-19-2008, 12:32 PM
if anything, huckabee is being short changed by the attempts to ramrod
mccain onto everyone else! way to go Ron Paul people! make the rulebook
fair across the board! when a candidate releases delegates, they are free to
make their own choises. this is what huckabee did! mcCain did not do a sweep!

Todd McGreevy
04-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Good ideas.
I think the challenge here is that the chairman called out of order, i objected to his ruling, forcing a vote, which if he has 2/3 he can do damn well what he pleases.

530 seats in this district

less than 400 seated delegates

that's 130 empty chairs that could have Ron Paul people in them.

if that was the case then we would have the 2/3 to overrule every BS deal that came down, including voting to forbid McCain folks to speak (which i would not advocate btw)... but i say this to illustrate how simple the rule of thumb is: "Must be present to win."

Todd McGreevy
04-19-2008, 01:40 PM
I stand corrected. We had only 248 seated delegates counted before the lunch break.
Less than 50% participation.

Folks in other districts in other states who think they don't have a chance, get hip, get on your Ron Paul Meetup lists, study www.RobertsRules.org , listen to Dr. Steve Parent's tutorials on parlimentary procedures
http://www.presidentronpaul.741.com/recordings.html#recordings

It's yours for the taking, no matter how much CNN and FOX tell you otherwise.

Bossobass
04-19-2008, 01:43 PM
I stand corrected. We had only 248 seated delegates counted before the lunch break.
Less than 50% participation.

Folks in other districts in other states who think they don't have a chance, get hip, get on your Ron Paul Meetup lists, study www.RobertsRules.org , listen to Dr. Steve Parent's tutorials on parlimentary procedures
http://www.presidentronpaul.741.com/recordings.html#recordings

It's yours for the taking, no matter how much CNN and FOX tell you otherwise.

Amen. May there be many more posts like this one.:cool:

Bosso

MozoVote
04-19-2008, 01:45 PM
There is a thread on the Steve Parent tapes and it sounds like there is too much misinformation in them. I'm sticking with the official Robert's Rules.

Soccrmastr
04-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Love how everyone all over the country is still fighting it out! Way to go everyone GREAT job!!

pepperpete1
04-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Great job! Know the rules, both Robert's Rules of Order and the state GOP rules and if they continue to ignore you, let them know that a challenge of any other delegates will be forth coming.

Todd McGreevy
04-20-2008, 10:00 AM
"a challenge of any other delegates will be forthcoming."
What do you mean?

Todd McGreevy
04-20-2008, 10:22 AM
This is good info. And brings to light one of the nuances of yesterday's proceedings.
The Chair, Bill Dix, had a guest speaker on behalf of McCain right after the convocation.
So I thought this was the time period for the guest speakers as outlined in Rule IV.
So when I asked for equal time for the other candidate, Ron Paul, Dix did NOT say, that opportunity will come AFTER the rules are approved and we get to that point in the agenda. He DID say that we couldn't speak because Ron Paul was not a candidate (which further led me to believe this WAS the time for guest speakers), and the 15 minutes of debate and wasted time to disallow a 3 minute speaker.

The rules were approved later in the convention and every other state official and candidate was allowed time to speak shortly thereafter.
If we had been more aware, then we could have asked for time to speak then, and THEN pointed out that the Chair was attempting to change a permanent rule, and take your advice below to get it tabled, etc.

Hopefully this helps others.

The same sort of thing happened at our district convention, but someone had the presence of mind to rise and state that the ability to deliver a 3 minute speech is a permanent rule that could not be voted on on a specific, per case basis.

They would technically have to motion and carry, by a 2/3 majority, a change to the permanent rules.

This motion could be countered by a motion to table the vote until such time as a carefully crafted rule change can be affected and reviewed by all delegates.

In the meanwhile, the delegate should be given 3 minutes.

Since they made no such motion, the vote for or against the delegate's ability to speak for 3 minutes is out of order.

Ah, good old Iowa. Grand Old Party.

I thought Iowa elected Mike Huckabee? Didn't RP place 3rd, ahead of Thompson and McCain? Oh yeah, that was BEFORE they 'adjusted' the vote count.

Bosso