PDA

View Full Version : We need a new law.

angelatc
04-18-2008, 12:21 PM
McCain's income includes a Senate salary of $161,708, a Navy pension of $58,358 and Social Security income of $23,157.

Federal Employees should not be allowed to triple-dip government compensation programs.

Truth Warrior
04-18-2008, 12:24 PM
How will you know when we have enough laws?

angelatc
04-18-2008, 12:39 PM
How will you know when we have enough laws?

I hear ya. I think we should have a sunset clause on all Federal laws.

Truth Warrior
04-18-2008, 12:45 PM
I hear ya. I think we should have a sunset clause on all Federal laws.
There's one of only very few new laws that I could ever support. I'll only believe it when I see it though.

Thanks! :)

LittleLightShining
04-18-2008, 01:08 PM
I would agree. If someone is receiving a federal pension they should automatically be excluded from receiving social security benefits.

ARealConservative
04-18-2008, 01:12 PM
there should be no pension for congress anyway.

We don't need people to make a career out of this. They serve their country for a few years, then return to private sector life.

LittleLightShining
04-18-2008, 01:13 PM
there should be no pension for congress anyway.

We don't need people to make a career out of this. They serve their country for a few years, then return to private sector life.
That's true. But there are a lot of federal jobs that aren't congress.

ARealConservative
04-18-2008, 01:15 PM
That's true. But there are a lot of federal jobs that aren't congress.

There shouldn't be though.

congress can contract with private parties who are not Federal Employees.

Kludge
04-18-2008, 01:23 PM
McCain paid into his Navy pension, his social sec'y and is serving as a paid congressman.

There's no reason why he shouldn't be getting what he is (except that we shouldn't have those three programs at all).

AisA1787
04-18-2008, 01:26 PM
There shouldn't be though.

congress can contract with private parties who are not Federal Employees.

If the current members of Congress tried to run their own contracts directly out to private industry, it would be a nightmare. If you watch some CSPAN, you will know what I mean. I'm surprised most of them can even tie their own shoes (maybe their staff does it?).

Lots of government work is contracted out to private parties, but you need a significant number of federal employees to do this. Even if all they had to do was defense contracts, there is no way that Congress could even handle all of those contracts personally. Not enough knowledge and time...

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
04-18-2008, 02:14 PM
McCain's income includes a Senate salary of $161,708, a Navy pension of $58,358 and Social Security income of $23,157.

Federal Employees should not be allowed to triple-dip government compensation programs.

In my opinion, McCann's pay is just excrement produced outside of the Constitution.
Rule #12: We hold the responsible civil wealth of the Constitution as supreme over irresponsible legal counterfeit.

angelatc
04-18-2008, 02:27 PM
McCain paid into his Navy pension, his social sec'y and is serving as a paid congressman.

There's no reason why he shouldn't be getting what he is (except that we shouldn't have those three programs at all).

I suspect the returns on those investments are far more substantial than what the folks with the money in CDs earn.

I stand by my contention. Pick one paycheck if you insist on being on the dole.

pinkmandy
04-18-2008, 07:03 PM
How about a law where they can only collect pensions if they were Congressmen/Senators during years where the budget was balanced without tax hikes or inflation? ;)

Kludge
04-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Let a be the annual percent inflation or deflation (CPI)
Let c be the annual % change in GDP
Let d be the annual percent increase/decrease in taxes
Let e be the rollover*

Total annual congressional salary = (-(a5) + (75000[c+1])) * -([d-.5]/5-1) - (e/2)

*If total annual congressional salary < 0, the negative number will be carried over to next year

So..... Our money supply inflated by 2%, but our GDP increased by 1.5%. Taxes increased 1% over last year and there's has no rollover losses from last year.

(-(2*5)+(75000[1.5+1]))*-([1-.5]/5-1)-(0/2) = $168,740 annual salary for members of congress

satchelmcqueen
04-19-2008, 08:24 PM
2 words ...RON PAUL. He doesnt participate in the government pension program because it takes our money to do it. Gotta love him.

bkreigh
04-20-2008, 02:33 AM
To be fair i dont see what McCain is doing here. He earned his military pension. He is a senator so he deserves that. i dont know his age but i guess he earned his Social security pay as well. I see nothing wrong here.

When i retire from the military you can bet ill be double dipping somewhere. Hopefully Social Security will still be around when im old and wrinkly as well. Its not like he is collecting welfare for crying out loud. If you earn it you deserve it.

Truth Warrior
04-20-2008, 06:06 AM
To be fair i dont see what McCain is doing here. He earned his military pension. He is a senator so he deserves that. i dont know his age but i guess he earned his Social security pay as well. I see nothing wrong here.

When i retire from the military you can bet ill be double dipping somewhere. Hopefully Social Security will still be around when im old and wrinkly as well. Its not like he is collecting welfare for crying out loud. If you earn it you deserve it.
If I steal someone's money ( at gunpoint ) and promise it to you, do you really think that you earned and deserve it? :D