PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About Marijuana aka Hemp

WarDog
04-17-2008, 09:37 PM
I didnt know hemp could do all these things. Great vid spread this around

http://rattube.com/blog1/2008/04/17/the-truth-about-marijuana-aka-hemp/

Working Poor
04-18-2008, 03:53 AM
It's pretty amazing how one man could change our future huh!

sratiug
04-18-2008, 06:53 AM
Wow, there's stuff in there I'd never heard before. Some other facts are that it was grown by Washington and Jefferson. It grows so well that the first drug czar charged with removing hemp said in the 30's when he went to work crossing the Potomac in DC there was wild hemp growing as far as you could see. I think a couple of million mexicans were deported for growing marijuana during the 30s during the depression to get rid of them.

Hemp seed bread is sold in health food stores and contains about 15% protein making it a great food source.

Hemp processing plants are usually built close to growing areas to save transport costs providing jobs more locally.

In Mississippi, generally the poorest state in the nation, a ballot initiative can be put on the ballot with enough signatures and must include a financial impact statement. The financial impact statement for legalizing hemp and marijuana would be astronomically on the positive side when you consider all the police costs, and prison costs saved. The volume of money brought into the state from selling the plant would be absolutely huge. We had more millionaires than any other state when cotton was king. Marijuana and hemp legally grown in this state would probably make it the richest in the nation, forcing all others to legalize in jealousy.

Sinse the war on drugs has been a major part of the war on our constitution and rights, is this not a war worth fighting? Especially in the current economic and political times?

Morgan Freidman is already building a plant here for converting soybeans to biofuel but hemp is reportedly much more efficient.

Danke
04-18-2008, 07:14 AM
http://www.hempusa.org/

PennCustom4RP
04-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Hemp and Marijuana are not the same plant, but of the same Genus...herein lies the problem, the Feds lump them together as the same.

pcosmar
04-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Hemp and Marijuana are not the same plant, but of the same Genus...herein lies the problem, the Feds lump them together as the same.

I would like to see you back that up with facts.

In fact they are different names for the same thing.
Industrial hemp has a lower THC content, but still does contain THC.
The several varieties of cannabis are all Hemp
"Marijuana" is the Spanish name for hemp. It is also the name used to criminalize all Hemp.

The hemp plant has many uses. The "drug" is only a small part of its many uses.

Bruno
04-18-2008, 08:45 AM

"Marijuana" is the Spanish name for hemp. It is also the name used to criminalize all Hemp.

True that! Randolph Hearst used that name to smear cannabis. In fact, most of America and the American Medical Association did not even know that they were making cannabis illegal, since they used a different name to dissassociate with it. It worked. :mad:

Who uses the term "cannabis" anymore except for educated smokers?

The newspaper articles that were used to support criminalization were about lazy Mexicans smoking it, and hyped up Negros luring white women to dance with them while they were high (this is not my opinion, so don't jump on me -not trolling here - just stating how the newspapers used fear and racism to criminalize a harmless plant).

Hearst also had just purchased millions of acres of timberland, at a time when Hemp was competing for paper sources. He would have lost billions in today's dollars due to the devalued timber.

In Iowa and across the midwest, Hemp grows wild every summer along the roadsides. You can smoke a pound and not get high (or get cancer or die, or get brain-damage, for that matter, since cannibis causes none of these). It is a remnant of patriot farmers growing "Hemp for Victory!"

Ironically, state troopers, DEA agents, and local police completely ignore these 12 foot tall plants that stick out like a sore thumb, because they know that they are harmless and kids try to smoke it occasionlly with no success (been there, done that). This shoots a huge hole in the thery that hemp could not be grown in the U.S. because people would try to smoke it. THC levels are near zero.

Morgan Freidman is already building a plant here for converting soybeans to biofuel but hemp is reportedly much more efficient.

Additionally, hemp does not compete as a food source currently, so you would not see price spikes in food as you are seeing now when we use corn for ethanal or soybeans for biodiesel.

pcosmar
04-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Many years ago, I had a professor friend that told me of his work in a Government funded research lab.
The goal or the project was to make a stronger, more robust hemp plant while reducing the THC content. From what he told me the experiments failed. Everything they tried that made the plant stronger also increased the THC content.
I went searching for information on the web.
I was unable to find his name related to any research, (I think he was a lessor lab rat), but I did find some of the results that he spoke of.
That was genetically enhanced plants, Polyploids and colchicine treatments.
He said that everything that made the plant stronger, made the plant stronger, and increased THC.
This is one study I found that confirms what he told me.
http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/775.htm

Mach
04-18-2008, 09:17 AM
All of this "hemp" is one of the reasons that it is illegal, not so much a danger to people, more of a danger to Corporations, easy to grow with lots of uses, anytime the general population finds something easy to do that's helpful and less expensive it is made illegal because of the dangers and we all know that the government cares for us so much that they can't let us "hurt" ourselves.

By the way................... Bush wears no clothes!

A rope leash
04-18-2008, 09:23 AM
I always thought "marijuana" was the bud part of the hemp plant, the only part worth smoking.

Barney Frank is introducing a bill to decriminalize personal use!

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Congressman_introduces_bill_to_decriminalize_perso nal_0417.html

Sunday is 420. Find a rally.

PennCustom4RP
04-18-2008, 06:22 PM

While you are correct that all Cannabis is hemp, you call them varieties, taxonomists call them subspecies. Variety means different any way you look at it. The pot smoker knows these are different, as does those who manufacture goods from hemp fibers, and so does the Government, yet they continue their pigheaded policy. My guess would be that the governement does not want to lose all the revenues it gets from the petro-chem and lumber industries, among others that hemp products could replace, if legal.
It seems to me that you take the Governments position that these are the same, hey thats fine by me, go on and smoke some industrial hemp, you'll need a dump truck full.
The point is that Cannabis sativa L. ssp sativa is the plant with trace THC content, but excellent fiber quality and Cannabis sativa ssp indica has high THC content and poor fiber quality, used as a drug.

I have no issue with either, and as I stated in my earlier post, same Genus, different sub species, and the government has lumped these together making all Cannabis unfortunately illegal.
I prefer them to be classified by the government as different, for no other reason that the advantages of industrial hemp as a resource can be realized in this country. Having said that, I have no issue with the legalization of marijuana for medical or any other use.

The One
04-18-2008, 06:25 PM
The truth about marijuana??? It's delicious!!!!!!

Bruno
04-19-2008, 02:10 AM
Paul also introduced this bill last year:

H.R. 1009: Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2007

To amend the Controlled Substances Act to exclude industrial hemp from the definition of marihuana, and for other purposes.
Overview

Summary
Congressional Research Service Summary

The following summary is provided by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan government entity that serves Congress and is run by the Library of Congress. The summary is taken from the official website THOMAS.
2/13/2007--Introduced.
Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2007 - Amends the Controlled Substances Act to exclude industrial hemp from the definition of "marihuana." Defines "industrial hemp" to mean the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of such plant with a delta-nine tetrahydrocannabinol concentration that does not exceed .3 percent on a dry weight basis. Grants a state regulating the growing and processing of industrial hemp exclusive authority, in any criminal or civil action or administrative proceeding, to determine whether any such plant meets that concentration limit.
THOMAS Home | Contact | Accessibility | Legal | FirstGov

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=400311&tab=bills

Great site - If all these RP bills would pass we would be a much better country for it!

satchelmcqueen
04-19-2008, 08:22 PM
let the hemp be legal! Its all about control. Also just for reading purposes, look up LSD and why it was made illegal. Look up why it was used on our army personnel and the results there after. Learn how it could cure depression and alcoholism almost overnight and never be used again, but never got the chance. Ive never used it, but would love to after reading how it all went down. Moral of the story is, if the government cant use something to control the people but yet it helps the people in a way that pushes them aside, it will indeed become illegal. Its ALL about control.

rossl
04-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Hemp is a great plant. It can be made into rope, food, textiles, and it doesn't need any pesticides or fertilizers. It's a win-win. I've heard that it was outlawed because the paper industry didn't want it competing with trees, but I don't know much about its history.

All I know is that it should be legalized.

I've tried hemp milk and hemp granola bars, and they're good. Different, but good.