PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Liberty Rally Update and Logistics

tmg19103
08-21-2007, 08:25 AM
OK, I'm at a Starbucks using my laptop having just visited the National Park Service that runs Independence National Historical Park.

Kind of disappointing because the Special Events Coordinator is off for the day.

However, his assistant was ALL over our rally and she said the S.E. (Special Events) Coordinator would get right back to me tomorrow regarding a rally of 5,000.

They are all over huge rallies because I don't think they have that many this big, and they love the tourism and spotlight it brings. I mentioned a presidential candidate would be speaking, she asked if I would like to divulge who it was at this time, and I figured I would keep them guessing. This woman was excited about this!

First concern - there is a rally already on the schedule for Sunday Nov. 11, but the assistant did not know how big it was. A small one could be held in numerous areas of the park while ours only has one location (more on that later). She even intimated subtly they could bump a smaller rally. They are really into a big event. I told her a secondary date would be the day before on Saturday, and a third option would probably be the weekend before, but that I needed to discuss that with our organizing committee – all of us ;-)

Basically we would get their largest lawn next to the Independence Visitors Center (map linked below) with a capacity of 5,000. However, and she confirmed this, there is just a low fence that surrounds this lawn/field on all four sides and thousands are welcome to stand outside the fence and surround the rally. This would really make it look big.

There is an easy $50 application fee. Electricity and outlets are available (I’m sure there is a charge for that). Since the S.E. coordinator was not there (she said he will definitely call me tomorrow for an event this big) she was not sure of all the logistical details.

We have to supply the stage/podium/backdrop/microphones/speakers, etc. They can recommend vendors for this or we can shop around, but they can help with where to put speakers for a crowd this size, how many needed, etc. No selling of items, but we can give away stuff, i.e. Ron Paul signs, banners, slim jims, etc. (within some restrictions I will find out about tomorrow). She asked if food would be served and I said no. All sorts of vendors and food courts are right next to this area and I will ask tomorrow if rally attendees can bring their own food/beverages and picnic. No alcohol.

Music/bands are allowed and I will talk to the S.E. coordinator about that tomorrow. In case of rain (or even without rain) we may want tents for bands and perhaps the podium (especially if it were to rain). I pray for a warm, sunny November day!

Once I firm up the date the application will be sent in. It looks like they are all over this.

As for location, in the below map it is right where it says “Independence Visitor Center start your visit here”. The podium is set up where the electrical outlets are on the north end. However, facing the crowd from the podium area there is a great backdrop of Independence Hall itself, which would make for great pictures/video with thousands of Ron Paul sign waivers and Independence Hall in the background. I can see the YouTube now - pan from RP speaking to the HUGE sign waiving crowd with Independence Hall in the backgound. No doubt the Philly media will be all over this in the 4th largest television market.

More tomorrow, and everybody feel free to use this thread for ideas/planning and logistics.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/parks/inde/ppMaps/ACF1B.pdf

bc2208
08-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Wow sounds awesome! Thanks for the work.

Has the campaign given you a go-ahead on this?
Have meetup groups pledged attendance?

I will be in MD on the 10th and definitely would come the 11th.

princessredtights
08-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Cool!

If it's not too much trouble ...

I am hoping that someone from the area will also be checking on hotel room information - I've never been to Philly before - (but have ALWAYS wanted to ...)

Slugg
08-21-2007, 08:39 AM
We should see about some radio ads saying - "Come to the liberty Rally with speaker "So and So," and "So and So," with live music from "So and So" plus, a surprise special guest may make an appearance!!!! Come check it out!" or something...heh....

tmg19103
08-21-2007, 08:42 AM

The Philadelphia MeetUps (which total over 1,000 members within 50 miles - though I'm sure all are not active) are aware and more than willing to help.

Another poster contacted the campaign and they stated Ron Paul would be speak at this. He can't turn down 5,000 plus!

This would be by far the biggest pre-primary rally for any candidate and will make for great press. I would expect national exposure and we need to work to make that happen by making the media aware once the event is solidified with the exact date and Ron Paul stating he will come. Hopefully we can have that wrapped up by the end of this week.

tmg19103
08-21-2007, 08:43 AM
We should see about some radio ads saying - "Come to the liberty Rally with speaker "So and So," and "So and So," with live music from "So and So" plus, a surprise special guest may make an appearance!!!! Come check it out!" or something...heh....

Great stuff - let's keep ideas rolling on this thread for marketing and logistics.

Sematary
08-21-2007, 09:00 AM

We can't really ask for pledges of attendance until the date is set in stone.
I don't see any reason we can't pack this place.

Sematary
08-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Could you post this on ronpaulforum.com ?

princessredtights
08-21-2007, 09:14 AM
I did my own research - (since my LAST post ;) ) and here's what I have found!

Request a visitors guide
receptionist@pcvb.org

(Here’s what I wrote)
I would like to request a visitors guide - I am looking forward to seeing the city of our country's birth during the upcoming Ron Paul Rally in November 2007!

:p

http://www.nps.gov/archive/inde/indep-hall.html

http://www.philadelphiausa.travel/

http://www.philadelphiausa.travel/philadelphia-page.php?pageid=169&itemid=160
(airport terminal information)

http://www.philadelphiausa.travel/philadelphia-page.php?pageid=38&itemid=29
(hotel map)

http://www.independencevisitorcenter.com/

The single best way to get from Philadelphia International Airport ( PHL ) to Center City is via the SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit authority) R1 line. It stops at every terminal at the airport except F (just walk over to E), runs every half-hour from 6 AM to midnight, and is only $7.

http://www.philadelphiapass.com/index2.asp

47 for a 1-day Philadelphia Pass®® includes:
Philadelphia Pass features The Big Bus Company double-decker bus sightseeing tour and admission to 20 top attractions in Philadelphia city, including: Lights of Liberty Show, National Constitutionm Center, Atwater Kent Museum, The Academy of Natural Sciences, The African American Museum in Philadelphia, National Liberty Museum, Battleship New

noxagol
08-21-2007, 09:16 AM
I WILL be there. Good opportunity to go visit the uncles.

0zzy
08-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Think we can get 5K?

noxagol
08-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Think we can get 5K?

If we can get ~1400 in Iowa with a weeks notice, I think we can get 5000+++++ with a couple months notice.

noxagol
08-21-2007, 09:23 AM
And I am passing this info along to my area.

ronpaulhawaii
08-21-2007, 09:28 AM
I'd say the guy who did the Pittsburgh Rally's AV is the one to talk to about PA/Staging.

Captain Shays
08-21-2007, 10:35 AM
And guess what just came over my cell phone. Well, unfortunatly, Michael Smerconish cannot Mcee the event. BUT

He is willing to have Ron Paul on his radio show for an ENTIRE HOUR either the day of the event, or the day before the event!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about promotion!

If we do any advertising for the event, it should definatly be on the BigTalker1210.

Nefertiti
08-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Sounds great! I'm glad to see that my idea is moving forward. :)

I'm thinking some variation on the Ames newspaper ad would make a good publicity poster/newspaper ad for this event. Constitution + Ron Paul, perhaps add a picture of Independence Hall. Does the creator of that have a PSD version of it with layers that could be modified?

Nefertiti
08-21-2007, 10:40 AM
And guess what just came over my cell phone. Well, unfortunatly, Michael Smerconish cannot Mcee the event. BUT

He is willing to have Ron Paul on his radio show for an ENTIRE HOUR either the day of the event, or the day before the event!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about promotion!

If we do any advertising for the event, it should definatly be on the BigTalker1210.

Looks like his show is on weekday mornings? If so, then we would want him on Friday morning-Nov. 9 I believe?

Captain Shays
08-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Now we need a committment from the main office.

Also, the company I work for does airport transportation so we're already set up to get him around once he's in town. All covered.

bc2208
08-21-2007, 10:42 AM

Also, the company I work for does airport transportation so we're already set up to get him around once he's in town. All covered.

That's awesome!

AMack
08-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Once you've got it set in stone, I'll contact the College Republicans at my college and see if I can get a big group of us to come. I'll see if I can spread the word to a few other Philly-area colleges as well.

tmg19103
08-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Anybody good with web design? I'm thinking we should have a simple, but well designed and professional looking website to promote this. This could be put in any print ads or on the Smirconish radio show or any other press we get/come up with.

One main page pretty much describing it is all that is needed and a few links for directions, contacts, etc. Would be good to send to MeetUps, as well as friends, family and possible supporters - especially those in the Boston to D.C. corridor, but I'd make all MeetUps across the country aware as who knows who will want to fly in.

tmg19103
08-21-2007, 11:45 AM
I'd say the guy who did the Pittsburgh Rally's AV is the one to talk to about PA/Staging.

Just spoke on the phone with bizman. Will work further once the date and RP are concrete.

Sematary
08-21-2007, 11:48 AM

nice. I'll contact the campaign as soon as the date is locked.

tmg19103
08-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Once you've got it set in stone, I'll contact the College Republicans at my college and see if I can get a big group of us to come. I'll see if I can spread the word to a few other Philly-area colleges as well.

Awesome - there are 70,000 plus students within 5 miles of Indepedence Mall. Once we get rolling a college marketing campaign in Philly for this event should become an action item.

Sematary
08-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Anybody good with web design? I'm thinking we should have a simple, but well designed and professional looking website to promote this. This could be put in any print ads or on the Smirconish radio show or any other press we get/come up with.

One main page pretty much describing it is all that is needed and a few links for directions, contacts, etc. Would be good to send to MeetUps, as well as friends, family and possible supporters - especially those in the Boston to D.C. corridor, but I'd make all MeetUps across the country aware as who knows who will want to fly in.

Oh yea, we gotta promote the HELL out of this. I don't want 5000, I want 50,000 - clog the streets, baby!

Sematary
08-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Awesome - there are 70,000 plus students within 5 miles of Indepedence Mall. Once we get rolling a college marketing campaign in Philly for this event should become an action item.

DEFINITELY

AMack
08-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Yeah its always better to have too little space than to have too much. If we beat expectations it'll really lift everyone's spirits.

Sematary
08-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Yeah its always better to have too little space than to have too much. If we beat expectations it'll really lift everyone's spirits.

You got that right. Let's kick some serious RP ass!

inibo
08-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Now you've got me all excited. It's just a couple or three hours drive from the DC area. Those of us who have never had the privilege of hearing Congressman Paul speak in person are starving for something like this. Let us know once the date gets firmed up and the word will spread like wild fire. 50,000? ha! I want 500,000 :)

Dear Leader VI
08-21-2007, 01:57 PM
You'll have a quite a few of us from South Jersey there, I can promise you that.

austin356
08-21-2007, 02:03 PM
I dont want 500,000 I want 5,000,000.

That is only 10% of the population within 3 hours.

If just those people vote in the primary then he has won NJ, PA, NY,MD

john_anderson_ii
08-21-2007, 02:21 PM
I just checked travelocity, and it's about $600 for my wife and I to come up from Phoenix. I'm seriously considering it, but that will have to get past the accounting department (i.e. wife :D).

I would really like to go and see who all these spammers are!

jaybone
08-21-2007, 02:30 PM
This is a GREAT idea and philly is the PERFECT place.
I live in Jersey and go there all the time, great place.
For you out-of-towners, it's a very easy city.
Hotel rooms in the college/hospital section of town are pretty cheap, and it is very easy to get around using public transportation, or you can even DRIVE AND PARK, how about that for a major city?

Best of all, after the rally we can go visit Ben at his final resting place.
I'm sure he has worn a deep rut in the bottom of his grave from constantly rolling over these past few years!

I don't need no stinkin date, I'm there!

BizmanUSA
08-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Talked to tmg19103 earlier today and this MEGA event has already got me hopping!

I've got a ton of ideas - most within a realistic budget to make this event shine.

There is a long laundry list from the technical side but I've Been There, Done That, and Got the T-Shirt more than a couple twenty times!

Also there is a ton of ultra cool things WE can do as a group to make this The Event of ALL Events :D

It is rare to have this much time so lets Not Waste 1 Minute.

As far as I can see there is a giant pool of talent that we can source so let us take an organized advantage of this gold mine.

Put a list of ideas - do a shake out - plan the target - aim and nail the target's bulls eye dead center. Sounds easy enough right? :rolleyes:

One thing I would recommend to ALL getting in contact with the PA parks or any official state/federal department (including the GOP for now) is NOT to mention the Ron Paul rally until the date and permits have been acquired! Things tend to happen if the cat is out of the bag beforehand.

The more time WE have the more time they have to try and unravel our goals.

Let's knock 'em in the knickers and surprise the heck out of them all! :D

BizmanUSA

danda
08-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Who else could we get to speak/perform?

I suggest Reverend John KIllian to get the crowd pumped up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZTpYTQLz6c

And Music... Steve Door, Knights of LIberty, Three Shoes Posse?

isufferfromronpaulfever
08-21-2007, 07:15 PM
I'll be there with a few friends.

isufferfromronpaulfever
08-21-2007, 07:16 PM
In fact, a few friends I will be bringing are just coming for a good time. They will be turned onto Ron Paul when it's all said and done.

isufferfromronpaulfever
08-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Would it be possible to raise enough money and host a few bigtime local/mainstream bands?

krott5333
08-21-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm on the other side of the state in Erie, but I bet I can round up a bunch of people to go!

I'll get on it. Let me mark it on my calendar right now

wooohooooooooooooo

Nefertiti
08-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Barry Manilow is an obvious choice. :D

Although I'm not quite sure how Copacabana would fit into the theme...

Nefertiti
08-21-2007, 07:42 PM
T

One thing I would recommend to ALL getting in contact with the PA parks or any official state/federal department (including the GOP for now) is NOT to mention the Ron Paul rally until the date and permits have been acquired! Things tend to happen if the cat is out of the bag beforehand.

BizmanUSA

I think someone already made the mistake of emailing the park and telling them they were coming for the RP Rally! Wasn't it earlier in the thread?

isufferfromronpaulfever
08-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Barry Manilow is an obvious choice. :D

Although I'm not quite sure how Copacabana would fit into the theme...

How about a serious fund raising to pay some bigger name acts? Rock? (ie. Linkin Park, Fall Out Boy, and below) I have a friend that is big in the business. If the price is right anything can happen. Promotions included.

ronpaulhawaii
08-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Just spoke on the phone with bizman. Will work further once the date and RP are concrete.

Great, this grassroots thing kicks @$$ (kicks@$$)

...you can even DRIVE AND PARK, how about that for a major city?

Best of all, after the rally we can go visit Ben at his final resting place.
I'm sure he has worn a deep rut in the bottom of his grave from constantly rolling over these past few years!

I don't need no stinkin date, I'm there!

LOL on the Ben visit,

Oh yea, we gotta promote the HELL out of this. I don't want 5000, I want 50,000 - clog the streets, baby!

.... 50,000? ha! I want 500,000 :)

...I dont want 500,000 I want 5,000,000.

Hhhhmmmm, what was that about parking?;)

Would it be possible to raise enough money and host a few bigtime local/mainstream bands?

Big time bands can be much more trouble than they are worth. Who do you mean by "big time local"?

Keep up the good work, guys

Wish I could be there...

Jon S
08-21-2007, 07:50 PM
How about a serious fund raising to pay some bigger name acts? Rock? (ie. Linkin Park, Fall Out Boy, and below) I have a friend that is big in the business. If the price is right anything can happen. Promotions included.

maybe we could get tool to play :) haha or.... paul mccartney. we seem to be able to raise thousands of dollars in a matter of days so who knows. lets go big, maybe foo fighters :) or alice in chains.

isufferfromronpaulfever
08-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Big time bands can be much more trouble than they are worth. Who do you mean by "big time local"?

Keep up the good work, guys

Wish I could be there...[/QUOTE]

If you take a look at a big festival like Lollapalooza... aside the major acts there are a heck of a lot of bands looking for recognition that bring their own following. They are significantly cheaper (Obviously). Without getting into names, a friend of mine is the main promoter of one of the biggest, mainstream music festivals in the NJ/NY area. I probably should get an idea as to where to start and how much money would be needed.

isufferfromronpaulfever
08-21-2007, 07:55 PM
maybe we could get tool to play :) haha or.... paul mccartney. we seem to be able to raise thousands of dollars in a matter of days so who knows. lets go big, maybe foo fighters :) or alice in chains.

Let's not get started on Tool, they are my favorite band. The chance of that though are none... With that being said, if there were ever a band and their fans that would support the Ron Paul movement, it's them. I could see Alice in Chains in the budget though.

Jon S
08-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Let's not get started on Tool, they are my favorite band. The chance of that though are none... With that being said, if there were ever a band and their fans that would support the Ron Paul movement, it's them. I could see Alice in Chains in the budget though.

haha (off subject) i almost got to see them in st louis but things happened and i had to sell the tickets. RIGHT next to the stage too. but they aren't really a band i could see accepting a political gig for cash.

BizmanUSA
08-21-2007, 08:22 PM

Quite possibly but this would take some HUGE bucks! :eek:

"A" type level entertainers are expensive and would more than likely require ticket sales which opens a whole other can of worms!

With only 5000+ (possibly another 1000+ outside the fence) this would still not be enough to afford FREE "A" level talent! Then there is the point of who would pay for tickets if the venue has an open air unrestrictive view in a park?

The many other levels of entainment and some of the never ending talent from RonPAulRadio would be nice touch. :)

You do bring up a very important point - Costs to promote and afford to engage such a MEGA event

While we have time, we will need ample dollars to pull off this event - especially to the point WE want it to be - WE ALL need to start putting a fund together NOW :cool:

BTW we can NEVER raise too much money as whatever could be left over can go to the RP campaign war chest - now that would be cool!

As this is a grassroots thing we do not have the RP campaign dollars to count on but this is not too big of a problem with this much time. :D

I will let others do this major task. (but I will try and help where I can)

BizmanUSA

ronpaulhawaii
08-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Quite possibly but this would take some HUGE bucks! :eek:

"A" type level entertainers are expensive and would more than likely require ticket sales which opens a whole other can of worms!

With only 5000+ (possibly another 1000+ outside the fence) this would still not be enough to afford FREE "A" level talent! Then there is the point of who would pay for tickets if the venue has an open air unrestrictive view in a park?

The many other levels of entainment and some of the never ending talent from RonPAulRadio would be nice touch. :)

You do bring up a very important point - Costs to promote and afford to engage such a MEGA event

While we have time, we will need ample dollars to pull off this event - especially to the point WE want it to be - WE ALL need to start putting a fund together NOW :cool:

BTW we can NEVER raise too much money as whatever could be left over can go to the RP campaign war chest - now that would be cool!

As this is a grassroots thing we do not have the RP campaign dollars to count on but this is not too big of a problem with this much time. :D

I will let others do this major task. (but I will try and help where I can)

BizmanUSA

BizmanUSA, sure am glad you're over there, I'm a bit remote to be much help.

Solo acts would reduce costs/logistics. Huge names might scare the venue. The acts should be something most people can enjoy or at least put up with. Kick ass R&R is great but the MSM could easily put negative spin on it. Keep the goal in mind, getting MSM attention to help get Dr. Paul the nomination, after that the world is our oyster...

my2¢

isufferfromronpaulfever
08-21-2007, 09:05 PM
BizmanUSA, sure am glad you're over there, I'm a bit remote to be much help.

Solo acts would reduce costs/logistics. Huge names might scare the venue. The acts should be something most people can enjoy or at least put up with. Kick ass R&R is great but the MSM could easily put negative spin on it. Keep the goal in mind, getting MSM attention to help get Dr. Paul the nomination, after that the world is our oyster...

my2¢

This entire campaign has had a negative spin in regards to MSM. The bottom line is getting out there, getting exposure, getting the message out there.

By any and all means necessary.

BizmanUSA
08-21-2007, 09:14 PM
I think someone already made the mistake of emailing the park and telling them they were coming for the RP Rally! Wasn't it earlier in the thread?

YEP - That is what got me to post!

We can only hope no one sees, reads or knows who RP is ;) that the requested information was requested from!

It was also a kind request for ALL of US to hold up on contacting any public/government agency or PR firm until the required permits and such are issued. :cool:

BizmanUSA

tmg19103
08-21-2007, 09:55 PM

The way I positioned it in person with the Park Service this morning was that it was a rally by a group (just made it up on the spot) called the Sons of Liberty (sorry to all the ladies - we can change the name) and the rally was a Liberty Rally for freedom, peace and prosperity with an emphasis on constitutional principles - which is what Independence Mall is all about. When asked about potential speakers I mentioned a presidential candidate but did not disclose who - but they may be able to figure it out from the subject matter of the rally, but they may also be clueless to RP or think some other candidate is stealing his message.

Tomorrow I talk to the Special Events coordinator when he returns from wherever he was and set the date and get the application sent in while Sematary contacts the RP campaign to confirm the good doctor's availability.

Then we are off and running!!!!!

Keep RP on the lowdown for now, and even if the Park Service got an email I bet they don't put two and two together.

Also, they WANT a big turnout. I could sense their anticipation. They work closely with the city and this helps a lot of people make money through tourism (hotels, restaurants, bars, nightlife, paying to enter and see the exhibits at the Constitution Center) and it gives Philly good exposure. Also, Philly is run by Democrats so I don't think they would get in the way of RP, but the Park Service does ultimately report to Bush.

No worries. We are going to be good to go and this will be AWESOME!!!!

tmg19103
08-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Also, someone did post about contacting radio talk show host Michael Smirconish - not the Park Service. I don't think that will amount to anything. They want the crowd - we're good and I will have more tomorrow once i talk to the Park Service again.

inibo
08-21-2007, 10:03 PM

I wanna hear the Goo Goo Dolls sing "Better Days (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55mnPm-s-io)"

isufferfromronpaulfever
08-21-2007, 10:09 PM
I wanna hear the Goo Goo Dolls sing "Better Days (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55mnPm-s-io)"

Getting a band like Goo Goo Dolls to attend would be realistic. We'd just have to put together a fund, see what we can come up with and make it happen.

tmg19103
08-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Getting a band like Goo Goo Dolls to attend would be realistic. We'd just have to put together a fund, see what we can come up with and make it happen.

Great idea. First funds we raise have to go to stage, lighting, sound etc. for speakers. Once it is a lock I will work with bizmanusa on what is needed there and once that is financed we can look at bands.

isufferfromronpaulfever
08-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Great idea. First funds we raise have to go to stage, lighting, sound etc. Once it is a lock I will work with bizmanusa on what is needed there and once that is financed we can look at bands.

I think if we can secure a location for the rally, perhaps a nice park or field with the space necessary... someone trustworthy should be responsible for managing the fund. Maybe we can have a webpage devoted to it that displays donations in real time. Almost the way the "Adopt an Iowan" had their donation meter.

Jon S
08-21-2007, 10:23 PM
goo goo dolls we could prolly get. they played at the vp fair (now fair st louis) a while back. iunno how much they would want though for a performance. maybe we could get jack johnson :) hes all about peace man.

McDermit
08-21-2007, 10:28 PM
I bet we could get Arlo Guthrie - one of RP's favorite musicians. lol. When I requested a quote a while back, he was around like 13k for an hour long performance.

McDermit
08-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Goo Goo Dolls usually want $80k+ to play a show. More/less depending on the type of performance requested, the location, and whether they support the cause. I've seen them go $130k/show already.

McDermit
08-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Barry Manilow might not be a bad idea.. he's in philly Sept 8 and then has 2 other shows in Sept. Other than that, he's just playing Vegas. He'd be up for the gig, for sure.. and he DID donate to RP, so maybe his price would be a bit more reasonable than usual?

tmg19103
08-21-2007, 10:32 PM
I think if we can secure a location for the rally, perhaps a nice park or field with the space necessary... someone trustworthy should be responsible for managing the fund. Maybe we can have a webpage devoted to it that displays donations in real time. Almost the way the "Adopt an Iowan" had their donation meter.

We should definitely raise money like the Adopt an Iowan program. If you read the first post on this thread it will tell you about the location and date.

Jon S
08-21-2007, 10:33 PM
cough i still dig jack johnson, i doubt he'd come up from hawaii but i also doubt that if he accepted he would charge us. he doesn't seem like the greedy musician type. one of my friends had a gf who knew jack johnson. seems like a chill guy.

isufferfromronpaulfever
08-21-2007, 10:38 PM
We should definitely raise money like the Adopt an Iowan program. If you read the first post on this thread it will tell you about the location and date.

Is the date and location officially confirmed? Not to jump the gun but hopefully the coordinator will get a web page setup devoted to this event, fund, etc. It could be pretty big.

tmg19103
08-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Location is set as the main lawn of Independence Mall next to the visitors center. 1st date option is Sunday Nov. 11, second is Saturday Nov. 10 (it's Veteran's Day weekend) and the third date option is the weekend before.

I'll know more tomorrow after I visit the Park Service people again down at Independence Mall.

tmg19103
08-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Quick Update - Thankfully I called the Park Service office before heading down. I called the Special Events Coordiniator I need to speak and work with directly and his voicemail said he was off until tomorrow, I then got his assistant and she apologized stating she had thought he was back from vacation today, but it is not until tomorrow.

Not to worry - I see no conspricay here. Just some miscommunication by the government - like that never happens. We are still over two months off on this, so waiting another day or so to firm the date should not be a problem. I'll stay on top of it and get this done ASAP.

Sematary
08-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Quick Update - Thankfully I called the Park Service office before heading down. I called the Special Events Coordiniator I need to speak and work with directly and his voicemail said he was off until tomorrow, I then got his assistant and she apologized stating she had thought he was back from vacation today, but it is not until tomorrow.

Not to worry - I see no conspricay here. Just some miscommunication by the government - like that never happens. We are still over two months off on this, so waiting another day or so to firm the date should not be a problem. I'll stay on top of it and get this done ASAP.

That sucks. Thanks for the update.

tmg19103
08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
That sucks. Thanks for the update.

I'm not concerned. We're talking one day and I'll hammer them politely tomorrow.

Sematary
08-22-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm not concerned. We're talking one day and I'll hammer them politely tomorrow.

I know. I just want to get this thing moving! :)

PennCustom4RP
08-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Has anyone considered whether Insurance will have to be carried on this event, is it on the City, included with the permit, or on the organizer. Be sure this is looked into.

Nefertiti
08-22-2007, 04:30 PM
I think it would be useful to have a Web site set up for this event-with forums to discuss the planning and the front pages for advertising the events. I'm concerned about the traffic on this site, which seems to have brought it down again. Ron Paul Forums really needs a dedicated server for the amount of traffic it is getting. Also, the threads for discussing this event tend to get buried pretty quickly. Having a dedicated site would make it easier for us to keep on top of things and not risk any duplication of discussion or efforts.

isufferfromronpaulfever
08-22-2007, 04:34 PM
I think it would be useful to have a Web site set up for this event-with forums to discuss the planning and the front pages for advertising the events. I'm concerned about the traffic on this site, which seems to have brought it down again. Ron Paul Forums really needs a dedicated server for the amount of traffic it is getting. Also, the threads for discussing this event tend to get buried pretty quickly. Having a dedicated site would make it easier for us to keep on top of things and not risk any duplication of discussion or efforts.

I agree 100%

BizmanUSA
08-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Has anyone considered whether Insurance will have to be carried on this event, is it on the City, included with the permit, or on the organizer. Be sure this is looked into.

Yep - One of the MANY items on the laundry list! ;)

Need to confirm the date, other permits and OK's before we take this step :)

There are many coverages that may be needed but need to crawl before we walk :D

BizmanUSA

Eric21ND
08-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Too bad Rage Against The Machine isn't a band anymore. They'd be all over a Liberty & Peace rally and probably play for free or reduced cost.

Anyone have Tom Morello's phone number?? haha

PennCustom4RP
08-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Yep - One of the MANY items on the laundry list! ;)

Need to confirm the date, other permits and OK's before we take this step :)

There are many coverages that may be needed but need to crawl before we walk :D

BizmanUSA

All good, just didnt this to be overlooked

wgadget
08-22-2007, 08:46 PM
My $.02:

It seems that Barry Manilow would be a great choice to bring in the "older" folks...especially 50 and up....You know, the people that vote in the primaries.

In a normal (non-Ron Paul) year. No offense, young people.

slantedview
08-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Too bad Rage Against The Machine isn't a band anymore. They'd be all over a Liberty & Peace rally and probably play for free or reduced cost.

Anyone have Tom Morello's phone number?? haha

I thought they recently reunited, at least for Coachella?

tmg19103
08-22-2007, 09:02 PM
I have a volunteer to do up a website to market the event.

I do like being on this foum as it gives the event exposure to RP supporters. Once we get rolling this will be a top topic that does not get buried - even if I have to post something lame just to keep it up top. I am open to other website/forum ideas, but I also think we get good exposure on this forum.

Insurance is on the list to talk with the Park Service Special Events coordinator tomorrow, but first we need to make sure we get the date we want from them, get the approval/permit, and get RP to confirm - and then we roll with everything else. Once those three happen we will be busy fast for two months so we can make this a world class event.

Will update tomorrow.

Sematary
08-22-2007, 11:43 PM
I have a volunteer to do up a website to market the event.

I do like being on this foum as it gives the event exposure to RP supporters. Once we get rolling this will be a top topic that does not get buried - even if I have to post something lame just to keep it up top. I am open to other website/forum ideas, but I also think we get good exposure on this forum.

Insurance is on the list to talk with the Park Service Special Events coordinator tomorrow, but first we need to make sure we get the date we want from them, get the approval/permit, and get RP to confirm - and then we roll with everything else. Once those three happen we will be busy fast for two months so we can make this a world class event.

Will update tomorrow.

I say we move forward with it whether RP can make it or not. There will be plenty of people there chanting his name.

CarmenCalderone
08-30-2007, 05:39 PM
What is going on with this Rally, what is the most up to date info?

Marshall
08-30-2007, 05:43 PM
I thought they recently reunited, at least for Coachella?

They are indeed back together. Recently Henry Rollins had one of the RATM members on his show. He spoke about how they had written songs about the Clinton administration, but they didn't seem irrelevant now given how terrible Bush is in comparison. I would imagine they'd do a rally like this after having heard about RP's stances.

Green Mountain Boy
08-30-2007, 06:28 PM
They are indeed back together. Recently Henry Rollins had one of the RATM members on his show. He spoke about how they had written songs about the Clinton administration, but they didn't seem irrelevant now given how terrible Bush is in comparison. I would imagine they'd do a rally like this after having heard about RP's stances.

Although I am a BIG fan of RATM's music, their politics is a two-edged sword.

While they are certainly anti-establishment (which I like), they are also pretty much communists. They might not be the best group to play at at rally for a free-market man such as Ron Paul.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/9/99/Bombtrack2.jpg

Cowlesy
08-30-2007, 06:30 PM
This campaign has already demonstrated that people can change their views. It wouldn't hurt to reach out and educate them about RP's message.

LibertyEagle
08-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Ok, this is probably stupid, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. Aaron Russo discovered Bette Midler. According to the mother of Aaron's children, she visited him shortly before he died. Maybe this isn't the best event to ask if she would attend, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask her to do something. As everyone knows, Aaron was very much an advocate of Ron's candidacy.

All she can do is say NO.

Green Mountain Boy
08-30-2007, 06:34 PM
This campaign has already demonstrated that people can change their views. It wouldn't hurt to reach out and educate them about RP's message.

This is true. I'd imagine they'd find Dr. Paul a likable guy.

The thing I'd be worried about is the news headline: "Communists show their support for Congressman Ron Paul in Philadelphia"

LibertyEagle
08-30-2007, 06:35 PM

Agreed, but if they are known as Communists, this would be negative advertisement for them to attend the rally.

michaelwise
08-30-2007, 07:02 PM
I will be in Philly on 9/29 and 9/30. Flying up from Florida that weekend for a wedding. I can only hope it will be that weekend.