PDA

View Full Version : Bush and that "g-damned piece of paper"

LittleLightShining
04-17-2008, 09:05 AM
I was talking to someone this morning and mentioned that Bush had referred to the Constitution as a "g-damned piece of paper." Stunned, this Libertarian-Republican said he had never heard such a thing before. I told him that I had heard that and that I would get him a source.

So, I'm Googling away and find the quote, and plenty of commentary on it but is it true? There seems to be a slim chance that it's a misquote because the source, Doug Thompson misquoted Atty General Gonzalez with saying the Constitution was outdated when he was actually referring to the Geneva Convention.

Can anyone direct me to a reputable source or an article which either proves or disproves the comment was actually made?

Cinderella
04-17-2008, 09:17 AM
its not a mis quote...i heard the interview when he said it!! there should be a video of it out there

acptulsa
04-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Someone YouTubed it so it must have happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmc60JmaLbE

Deborah K
04-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Here's the original source: http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7779.shtml

torchbearer
04-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Couldn't he be impeached for those very words alone?
Didn't he swear to uphold that g-damned piece of paper?

acptulsa
04-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Couldn't he be impeached for those very words alone?
Didn't he swear to uphold that g-damned piece of paper?

Don't think so, yes indeed he did, no I don't know why it doesn't piss more people off, and yes, thank you Little Light Shining for bringing it up. We need to try to stir more up with this little tidbit.

UnReconstructed
04-17-2008, 10:43 AM
He had his fingers crossed.

The One
04-17-2008, 10:46 AM
He had his fingers crossed.

Yeah, and it was "opposite day" too!!:rolleyes:

LittleLightShining
04-17-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm working on that youtube 35 seconds at a time because my kids are being really LOUD ;) I haven't heard it referenced yet, only in the title. I'll have to give it more attention at nap-time.

Here's the original source: http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7779.shtml

This is the article which misquotes Gonzalez so I'm afraid to use it. I was hoping that one of the other 3 witnesses referenced in the article had verified it.

The One
04-17-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm working on that youtube 35 seconds at a time because my kids are being really LOUD ;) I haven't heard it referenced yet, only in the title. I'll have to give it more attention at nap-time.

This is the article which misquotes Gonzalez so I'm afraid to use it. I was hoping that one of the other 3 witnesses referenced in the article had verified it.

I listened to the whole thing. It wasn't referenced other than the title.

HOLLYWOOD
04-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Anyone have the details from this Historic Terrorist Event?

What Meeting?
Where/Exact Location?
Date and Time?
All parties in attendance at George Dubya Bush's Moment of Terror?

I'm surprised former NeoCon AG Gonzalez is not on trial or at least in PRISON... oh yeah, I forgot, The Laws of the United States don't pertain the same to Political or Wealth Parties as they do to the lower and middle classes of Americans. ;>(

acptulsa
04-17-2008, 11:11 AM
I listened to the whole thing. It wasn't referenced other than the title.

Sorry about that. I didn't stop to watch in my haste to get it to you. Deborah is correct--capitolhillblue is the original source for that. Anything else appears to be second hand.

Chester Copperpot
04-17-2008, 11:19 AM
I was talking to someone this morning and mentioned that Bush had referred to the Constitution as a "g-damned piece of paper." Stunned, this Libertarian-Republican said he had never heard such a thing before. I told him that I had heard that and that I would get him a source.

So, I'm Googling away and find the quote, and plenty of commentary on it but is it true? There seems to be a slim chance that it's a misquote because the source, Doug Thompson misquoted Atty General Gonzalez with saying the Constitution was outdated when he was actually referring to the Geneva Convention.

Can anyone direct me to a reputable source or an article which either proves or disproves the comment was actually made?

That source is apparently unverifiable.. I have found Capitol Hill Blue to be quite the liar and will have nothing more to do with their articles or sources.

LittleLightShining
04-17-2008, 11:45 AM
That source is apparently unverifiable.. I have found Capitol Hill Blue to be quite the liar and will have nothing more to do with their articles or sources.That's what I've come to. There is this article (http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2005/12/09/bush-constitution-just-a-goddamned-piece-of-paper/), but again it goes back to the CHB story. I tried snopes but there's nothing there, either. On the one hand I'm relieved if he didn't say it, no matter how contrary his actions are. On the other hand I wish he did because it would be powerful.

angelatc
04-17-2008, 11:48 AM

I believe it is something Doug Thompson just simply made up.

seapilot
04-17-2008, 01:17 PM
I believe it is something Doug Thompson just simply made up.

It could be, we all know how a blogger can post B.S. as we have seen some sources writing about RP. When it is something we want to believe we have to logically still check the facts and sources stated.

GWB saying that would have been all over the net and published as that is almost akin to him burning the flag on independence day in front of the whitehouse.

In his actions of defending the Patriot Act he can be construed to thinking that its nothing but a piece of paper. Many people give him credit for actually knowing what he is doing, IMO he is just a figurehead puppet that cant really put two and two together. GWB is the King of the J6P.

acptulsa
04-17-2008, 01:28 PM
GWB saying that would have been all over the net and published as that is almost akin to him burning the flag on independence day in front of the whitehouse.

True or not, it did wind up all over the 'net. Don't guess we'll be so lucky as to find Nixon's tape recorders still in place and working after the latest jackass moves out.

torchbearer
04-17-2008, 01:30 PM
I thought bush called it "quaint"?

Cleaner44
04-17-2008, 01:35 PM
The problem is that he said it in a private meeting with other Republicans and there is no recording of it. It was in November of 2005 and shocked republicans were the leak/source of the story.

acptulsa
04-17-2008, 01:36 PM
I thought bush called it "quaint"?

Gonzalez said that about the Geneva Conventions.

Gadsden Flag
04-17-2008, 04:22 PM
I think it's made up, to be honest with you. The guy who originally wrote that Bush said it is a known Bush hater and not really a very credible journalist.

AutoDas
04-17-2008, 05:51 PM
You mean everything on the Internet is not true!

Working Poor
04-17-2008, 08:20 PM
I think Bush's actions speak louder than his words anyway don't you?

Maverick
04-17-2008, 08:39 PM
I think it's made up, to be honest with you. The guy who originally wrote that Bush said it is a known Bush hater and not really a very credible journalist.

I'm going to have to agree with this. There's just no way to actually verify what he said or didn't say. I'd love dearly to believe it's true, but I'm holding out for more than just a single post on an obscure blog with no evidence to back it up.

MN Patriot
04-18-2008, 07:20 AM
I looked for the source of this quote some time ago and couldn't find it.

This is the perfect thing for a clever liberal to make up and smear Bush with. It was probably passed around in emails for a while but since liberals DO think the Constitution is only a piece of paper, it doesn't really resonate with them and the email died.

driller80545
04-18-2008, 08:16 AM
I have seen the video of him saying it. I believe maybe it was Hijacking Catastrophe.

LittleLightShining
04-18-2008, 08:21 AM
I have seen the video of him saying it. I believe maybe it was Hijacking Catastrophe.Do you have any idea which part?

driller80545
04-18-2008, 08:30 AM
No, sorry, I don't. I am not even sure that is where I saw the video, but I definately have seen it and I am 99% sure it was in one of those documentaries.

driller80545
04-18-2008, 08:33 AM
I think it was right after the part where they discuss the Wolfowitz papers and the idea of an American Empire.

LittleLightShining
04-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Ok, thanks. I guess I have a documentary to watch ;)

klamath
04-18-2008, 09:21 AM
I tried to find a creditable source for this last fall but I couldn't find one. Even if you see it in a video doesn't make it true. Remember how some of the movies can now make a president make speaches by using clips of their past speaches. They did this with one of the asteroid impact movies and had Clinton making speaches about the asteroid and it was so good that I thought he had played the part.