PDA

View Full Version : Montessori Education

0zzy
04-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Anyone know much about it? (wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori))

Basically, it allows children to work at their own pace on their own projects. They do more research and have more real-world experience while doing something they are interested in. It is usually for younger kids, but there is a college that is starting up based on it's principles. High school/junior high is rare though (and that college isn't even open yet).

I want to know how it has worked for others and other people's thoughts on it. Google Montessori (http://www.google.com/search?q=mosslini).

Lucille
04-17-2008, 08:46 AM
The Lucille family loves it. The Montessori method treats children as individuals. Classes are typically mixed (grades Pre K-K, 1-3, 4-6, 7-8, 9-12 though HSs are rare). They study at their own level rather than by age, have freedom of movement, and the kids are self-directed and self-motivated.

I highly recommend it.

micahnelson
04-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Only type of education into which I would willing send my children.

TechnoGuyRob
04-17-2008, 08:51 AM
I went to a Montessori school in Holland for grade school. Right now I'm a 17-year-old graduate student studying mathematics, so I guess it worked for me. It was very neat, there was a curriculum, but the teacher never used the blackboard. We had to read the book on our own, and we could do whatever we wanted all day, as long as we got our work done; time management for kids! I was quicker than most students, so the teacher provided me with extra materials which I devoured. It was far and away the best education system I've ever seen.

pinkmandy
04-17-2008, 08:56 AM
It's a great model of education. Highly recommend. We incorporate some Montessori in our homeschool.

James Madison
04-17-2008, 02:07 PM
I attended Montessori from first to third grade. As was mentioned earlier, we were all put together in one big class rather than by grade. Overall, it was such a condusive environment for learning unlike the government-controlled public school I now attend. And yes, I learned things when I was eight that most eighteen year olds have no clue about. If I have children someday I will do everything in my power to make sure they attend.

0zzy
04-17-2008, 02:41 PM
What are the flaws of it? Anything? What if a child decides not to do anything, how does he learn complex things that requires an instructor like Algebra or something, and, I dono. Seems cool. I'm still a kid so I dono why I'm wondering :). I graduate in a month. Too late for me!

orlandoinfl
04-17-2008, 02:42 PM
i'm glad to see that there is already an education system that works.

soapmistress
04-17-2008, 04:22 PM
If you choose a Montessori school, do a lot of unscheduled observation beforehand.

Two things I've noticed:

1) While it is great that children are expected to perform those tasks which they are capable of (like a 3yr old zipping his own jacket), some teachers will outright refuse to zip the jacket of the capable child who asks for his teacher to do it for him, failing to recognize that the child may not be asking because he can't zip it, but because he has a need for nurturance or sense of belonging that is being expressed by asking someone else to show caring for him.

2) Some Montessori schools are like mini-adult cadet training in some strange perversion of the original philosophy. An example: my nephew was eating muffins with his friends at the table. The teacher told them to unwrap the baking paper into a circle, and eat over the paper circle, and if they got crumbs on the table they would take the muffin away. (preschool).

So sometimes the over-focus on independence comes off harsh and doesn't model enough of what I would consider to be acts of generosity and care-taking. Lots of schools are good, and lots of them just charge an arm and a leg for "Montessori" and they aren't.

pinkmandy
04-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Also look into Charlotte Mason, Waldorf, and The Well Trained Mind. There are so many educational philosophies out there and child personality plays a part. A laid back, artsy child would do well in Waldorf. A very curious outdoor loving child who enjoys writing would thrive in Charlotte Mason. For top notch private education at home (or private school) then The Well Trained Mind is awesome. Some private schools/alternative schools follow that. Needless to say, public schools don't really borrow anything from any of them. They have their own way. Ugh.

Highland
04-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Also look into Charlotte Mason, Waldorf, and The Well Trained Mind. There are so many educational philosophies out there and child personality plays a part. A laid back, artsy child would do well in Waldorf. A very curious outdoor loving child who enjoys writing would thrive in Charlotte Mason. For top notch private education at home (or private school) then The Well Trained Mind is awesome. Some private schools/alternative schools follow that. Needless to say, public schools don't really borrow anything from any of them. They have their own way. Ugh.

Yes Waldorf is great....only wooden toys and a focus on developing the imagination....we cannot build what we cannot imagine.

2young2vote
04-17-2008, 06:11 PM
My 5 year old sister goes to one of those schools and she is pretty advanced for her age.