PDA

View Full Version : On religion and this site.

Carehn
04-16-2008, 10:26 PM
We will be divided if we start to talk about God.
Perhaps we can agree that God and man mad religion are not the same thing.
We need to all agree that its ok not to believe in God and its ok to believe in god.
We need to all agree that no federal funding should go to any church or atheist movement.

We need to all agree that its ok to use god as a noun.
we need to all agree that its ok to use God as a pronoun.

Well what do you all say?

Theocrat
04-16-2008, 10:30 PM
We need to all agree that its ok not to believe in God and its ok to believe in god.
We need to all agree that no federal funding should go to any church or atheist movement.

It's not okay for man to not believe in God, even though all men do believe in God in some way, shape, or form.

sophocles07
04-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Peas & caulifour porkshops

yum couch and sash a soy

Kludge
04-16-2008, 10:37 PM
all men do believe in God in some way, shape, or form.

o.O How so?

familydog
04-16-2008, 10:38 PM

I agree. Alas, there are too many people here with deluded ego-mania so I doubt anything will change. You'd think after the 40th thread on the same exact topic, people would get tired of it and ignore it. My guess is people have way too much time on their hands to argue the same exact things in multiple threads which lead no where. What some people here have become are the token Christian and the token non-believer who just have to keep instigating things that honestly don't matter. If you want to debate religion, fine. But maybe its time to relax, have a drink, maybe take a nap, instead of continuing with debates that lead absolutely nowhere.

Theocrat
04-16-2008, 10:40 PM
o.O How so?

By their actions, all men show they believe in God on some level.

Kludge
04-16-2008, 10:41 PM
By their actions, all men show they believe in God on some level.

???? I don't follow. I exist, therefore some type of god must exist?

sophocles07
04-16-2008, 10:42 PM

Theocrat is a buttcheek.

He

Be

a hoodlum.

Theocrat
04-16-2008, 10:44 PM
I agree. Alas, there are too many people here with deluded ego-mania so I doubt anything will change. You'd think after the 40th thread on the same exact topic, people would get tired of it and ignore it. My guess is people have way too much time on their hands to argue the same exact things in multiple threads which lead no where. What some people here have become are the token Christian and the token non-believer who just have to keep instigating things that honestly don't matter. If you want to debate religion, fine. But maybe its time to relax, have a drink, maybe take a nap, instead of continuing with debates that lead absolutely nowhere.

You know what I find funny? The same people who have a problem with those of us who post debates on these forums, considering it a waste of time or useless, are the ones who take time to post their own complaints against us, yet adding more posts to the thread they disagree with. Why not just ignore it, or simply choose to not post anything if it bothers you so much?

sophocles07
04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
You know what I find funny? The same people who have a problem with those of us who post debates on these forums, considering it a waste of time or useless are the ones who take time to post their own complaints, yet adding more posts to the thread they disagree with. Why not just ignore it, or simply choose to not post anything if it bothers you so much?

Jeffersonian I N S T I N C T

familydog
04-16-2008, 10:46 PM
You know what I find funny? The same people who have a problem with those of us who post debates on these forums, considering it a waste of time or useless are the ones who take time to post their own complaints, yet adding more posts to the thread they disagree with. Why not just ignore it, or simply choose to not post anything if it bothers you so much?

Ah, just the cliche response I expected. Because I am troubled with something I shouldn't speak my mind? My lowly one post on this subject is really not worth fighting about. Especially when we compare to the thousands of posts about religion arguing the same excat things. Like I said in my post, chill out.

Theocrat
04-16-2008, 10:49 PM

No. I was implying that men act like theists whenever they assume the uniformity of nature as they use induction to do science, appeal to standards of morality in order to judge something that they feel is immoral, or use logic in order to argue for logic. Each of these illustrates that the person who acts in these manners is reflecting in some way that he knows God, even in his unbelief. They may say one thing, but they usually act contrary to it, especially when they fail to justify their own belief.

Kludge
04-16-2008, 10:52 PM
No. I was implying that men act like theists whenever they assume the uniformity of nature as they use induction to do science, appeal to standards of morality in order to judge something that they feel is immoral, or use logic in order to argue for logic. Each of these illustrates that the person who acts in these manners is reflecting in some way that he knows God, even in his unbelief. They may say one thing, but they usually act contrary to it, especially when they fail to justify their own belief.

I guess that makes me God...

Abide by my will! My truth is the ONLY truth!

Theocrat
04-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Ah, just the cliche response I expected. Because I am troubled with something I shouldn't speak my mind? My lowly one post on this subject is really not worth fighting about. Especially when we compare to the thousands of posts about religion arguing the same excat things. Like I said in my post, chill out.

Why be troubled when you can do something to "ease the pain," such as simply ignoring the threads you disagree with. There are many threads that I bypass when I visit these forums, but I don't always have to post my disagreement with the debates or confusion that go on in a particular thread. I just simply move on to something else. Maybe you should just do that, and chill yourself.

sophocles07
04-16-2008, 10:55 PM

Are you completely working off generalization at this point?

BTW: have you banned me from your viewing? That's unChristian THEOCRAT--I've never ignored you. (Someone post this for him if he can't see it by the way, I don't like being crossed out of the biggest fascist/theocrat's version of reality.)

Theocrat
04-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Are you completely working off generalization at this point?

BTW: have you banned me from your viewing? That's unChristian THEOCRAT--I've never ignored you. (Someone post this for him if he can't see it by the way, I don't like being crossed out of the biggest fascist/theocrat's version of reality.)

I see you.

familydog
04-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Why be troubled when you can do something to "ease the pain," such as simply ignoring the threads you disagree with. There are many threads that I bypass when I visit these forums, but I don't always have to post my disagreement with the debates or confusion that go on in a particular thread. I just simply move on to something else. Maybe you should just do that, and chill yourself.

Hypocrisy never sounded so sweet.

Corydoras
04-16-2008, 11:04 PM
I guess that makes me God...

Abide by my will! My truth is the ONLY truth!

Congratulations, you've discovered Protagoras.

Theocrat
04-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Hypocrisy never sounded so sweet.

Some clarification is in order here. My point is that I've never posted on a thread that the discussion of that particular thread should be shut down or ended because it went on for too long or there was too much debating going on. I'm not being hypocritical at all.

sophocles07
04-16-2008, 11:09 PM
I see you.

Well stop ignoring me, I don't you; I consider you equal (at least in SUGGESTION, if not in CONCLUSION).

familydog
04-16-2008, 11:10 PM
I've never posted on a thread that the discussion of that particular thread should be shut down or ended because it went on for too long or there was too much debating going on.

Nor have I.

I was simply agreeing with the OP. Especially the part where it was suggested that these endless religious threads that do not go anywhere, which repeat the same exact arguments, will do nothing but divide us. It is that simple, my friend.

Kotin
04-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Some clarification is in order here. My point is that I've never posted on a thread that the discussion of that particular thread should be shut down or ended because it went on for too long or there was too much debating going on. I'm not being hypocritical at all.

Jesus wasn't a smart ass, he was humble and to the point among other things.

just let it go Theocrat.

being a theocrat is nothing to be proud of, the Pharisees were Theocrats.

Faith should not be forced on anyone. God gives us our freedom to choose, would you advocate taking that away?

it may just be name, thats your business.

Theocrat
04-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Jesus wasn't a smart ass, he was humble and to the point among other things.

just let it go Theocrat.

being a theocrat is nothing to be proud of, the Pharisees were Theocrats.

Faith should not be forced on anyone. God gives us our freedom to choose, would you advocate taking that away?

it may just be name, thats your business.

What're you talking about?

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-17-2008, 06:01 AM
People should be able to believe whatever they want about why and how we're here.

acptulsa
04-17-2008, 06:27 AM

I say no one can prove God exists and no one can prove God doesn't exist. I say agnostics can't even prove they have no faith. I say if you are useful to the cause of liberty I will not try to distract you from that cause--and welcome!

sratiug
04-17-2008, 06:42 AM
All the religious people better hope there is no God.

acptulsa
04-17-2008, 06:45 AM
All the religious people better hope there is no God.

Chuckle. Don't get carried away--they aren't all intolerant. Really. Just the loud ones, mainly. That's why it seems that way...

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-17-2008, 06:52 AM
To all the Christians here, I apologize in advance for this video, but it's just too funny.

The Bible - A Disclaimer - http://video.google.com:80/videoplay?docid=3508634581550689333&q=Religulous&total=26&start=10&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=4

kaleidoscope eyes
04-17-2008, 06:57 AM
How bout we just agree to disagree? This is such an ages old argument that goes round and round without one side getting the other side to agree.... hell, even within believers and non-believers there's no complete agreement.

ish... so frustrating.

acptulsa
04-17-2008, 07:02 AM
How bout we just agree to disagree?

If you're religious, you must see that a God capable of making all of the billions of us through time different must be capable of meeting each of us on our own terms, just like a good parent. Have faith. If you're not, what does it matter? Seriously. I don't think there are any Torquemadas blogging on this site, so who are you helping?

kaleidoscope eyes
04-17-2008, 07:17 AM
If you're religious, you must see that a God capable of making all of the billions of us through time different must be capable of meeting each of us on our own terms, just like a good parent. Have faith. If you're not, what does it matter? Seriously. I don't think there are any Torquemadas blogging on this site, so who are you helping?

Oh yeah, that's the point exactly... what does it matter? Is it changing anything arguing about what's the Truth and what's not? We each have our own piece of Truth to be sure. I'm a believer in a greater creative force, God, if you will...(used to be an athiest), I'm married to an athiest though, I have no problems with this, we each have our own path to understanding... there are as many points of view as there are people.

But that's just my point of view. ;)