Suzu
04-16-2008, 11:45 AM
----- Original Message -----
To: margie.milam@markmonitor.com
Cc: Kent Snyder ; Justine Lam ; Joe Becker
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:38 PM
Subject: Potential Civil Liability Issue

To whom it may concern:

MarkMonitor.com is the registrar and host for "Wonkette.com" which is publishing libelous and defamatory remarks against a certain doctor on a regular basis. The latest offense appears on their page at

http://wonkette.com/380456/ron-paul-freedom-tax-rally-saves-economy

where the claim is made that "Ron Paul will deliver the baby and keep it in his attic, where he keeps all delivered babies, for sustenance" - the implication being that Dr. Paul (an obstetrician by trade) make a habit of stealing and eating newborn babies.

Thank you for your timely attention to this matter.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

amy31416
04-16-2008, 11:51 AM
God, they're a bunch of idiots...they don't even deserve our web traffic. Don't click on the link, it's just crap.

Danke
04-16-2008, 11:52 AM
What is "wonkette"? I click on that link. Wow, what a bunch of juveniles.

The One
04-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Wow....those comments are brutal. I used to think I could be a real ass-hole, but I've got nothing on those guys.

crazyfingers
04-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Please ignore them. They are just looking for web traffic/ad revenue. Unfortunately for months RP supporters have been playing right into their hands. Don't pay them any attention and they will go away.

acptulsa
04-16-2008, 11:57 AM
What is "wonkette"? I click on that link. Wow, what a bunch of juveniles.

The site seems dedicated to attracting our hits and justifying themselves to their sponsors in no other way. Nonetheless, I wonder if their over-the-top bull will wind up drawing Dr. Paul sympathy in the end.

That said, the laws concerning libel and slander where political satire is involved are extremely lax and forgiving in this nation. Suzu, don't expect their lawyers to take you very seriously no matter how egregious their bull becomes.

I don't think anyone but us cares what wonkette says. Ignore them and I'll bet they fold up and go away.

ItsTime
04-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Very smart going after their host :) Next step is to go after their advertisers (if they have any)

constituent
04-16-2008, 12:03 PM
does c-span still link to wonkette?

smartguy911
04-16-2008, 12:17 PM
here is a link to the site stats - http://www.sitemeter.com/?a=stats&s=sm1wonkette

The part that cracked me up -

Average Visit Length 0:14

LMAO

Aratus
04-16-2008, 12:30 PM
just to read the d@mn stupid remarks, i was there easily longer than 30 seconds...
yes, it is a clearcut instance of libel and slander, and yes, it might have THEIR admin now
tone things down. the competition for each wise~acre to one-up the vulgarity is pure barfff!!!

a MINUTE almost totally wasted out of my LIFE!!! the only nice thing in the link was actually
the rally photos of people mellowing out! dagnnnnabbit! i'm a hippie, i'm a trekkie, i'd have been
totally happy to BE at the rally had i the total opertunity!!! i'm angry!!!! WAY TO GO, SUZU!!!

angelatc
04-16-2008, 12:55 PM
I disagree. They're a sarcastic bunch, for sure, but harmless. At least they recognize that Paul exists.

Suzu
04-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Millions of visitors per month (http://www.sitemeter.com/?a=stats&s=sm1wonkette&r=33) ain't too shabby.

qaxn
04-16-2008, 04:28 PM
when you saw an article on a comedic website stating that dr. ron paul eats infants, was your first thought to contact their host with legal threats? was it?

Lord Xar
04-16-2008, 04:58 PM
What the real problem is, is that most of those who post on Wonkette and follow it are probably much older than many of you would think. That is the horrifying part. But it really follows in line with their nanny state mentality. They are mentally and socially stunted and therefore their behaviour reflects that. Babies are coddled and are taken care of. They respect no responsibility, and that hasn't changed as they (the wonkettes) have gotten older.

Suzu
04-16-2008, 05:28 PM
when you saw an article on a comedic website stating that dr. ron paul eats infants, was your first thought to contact their host with legal threats? was it?

My feeling was indignation. Dr. Paul deserves more respect than this, even from detractors.

robmpreston
04-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Ridiculous. They can post whatever they want, reporting it just makes you look foolish.

yongrel
04-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Better solution: Spread rumors that the wonkette eats babies.

amy31416
04-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I have it from a good source that Wonkette doesn't just eat babies, they eat fetuses.

yongrel
04-16-2008, 10:16 PM
I have it from a good source that Wonkette doesn't just eat babies, they eat fetuses.

And use the stem cells to give themselves superpowers! And then they punch puppies. Baby puppies! Defenseless baby puppies!

G-Wohl
04-16-2008, 11:50 PM
This kind of shit really bothers me.

You're entirely affirming their belief that all Ron Paul supporters are crazy when you guys pull stuff like this. What the hell were you thinking sending an email like that?

I don't blame this stupid Wonkette site for having viewers like that if this is the kind of crap they have to take from Paul supporters all day long... :rolleyes:

Brent Canada
04-17-2008, 07:02 AM
Wonkettes the most useless site on the net. Constantly going on about how Ron Paul supporters spend all their time online and have no lives.

Hello morons, you're writing a fucking BLOG for a living. Go outside and get a real job.

They just got sold by Gawker media, due to the fact that it's hard selling advertising on a political site.

Now they're using blogads to create revenue. They'll be belly-up within 6 months.

angelatc
04-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Now they're using blogads to create revenue. They'll be belly-up within 6 months.

Blog ads? Is that where the blogger drops the name of a product he or she pretends to love? Those are so cheesy.

Soccrmastr
04-17-2008, 08:39 PM
LOL, u sent them a legal threat. Some of you people are way too serious. It's just Wonkette.

Suzu
04-17-2008, 11:21 PM
LOL, u sent them a legal threat. Some of you people are way too serious. It's just Wonkette.

It's just libel, too, and a very serious allegation. I honestly cannot see how anyone who respects Ron Paul is willing to stand for this kind of treatment of him. I certainly won't stand by and do nothing.

asgardshill
04-18-2008, 12:33 AM
It's just libel, too, and a very serious allegation.

Nope, not even close. Sophomoric parody, yes. Defamation, no. From a legal standpoint, there's just no there there.

Nobody seriously believes that Ron Paul actually eats the babies that he delivers. And since Paul is a public figure, he's pretty much screwed from the get-go if he should foolishly choose to litigate this (which I guarantee you he won't). Jerry Falwell found this out to his detriment when he went after Larry Flynt for pretty much the same thing.

The legal hurdles that must be overcome for a public figure like Ron Paul to successfully punish parody (even the stupid and amateurish type that Wonkette specializes in) are extremely high, and the potential reward simply too low to bother. Wonkette simply doesn't have two nickels to rub together, you can't get blood from a turnip, et al ad nauseum ...

I honestly cannot see how anyone who respects Ron Paul is willing to stand for this kind of treatment of him. I certainly won't stand by and do nothing.

Not rewarding the punks over at Wonkette with hits on their web site is about the only recourse you really have to "punish" them.

Rlo
04-18-2008, 10:41 PM
It's just libel, too, and a very serious allegation. I honestly cannot see how anyone who respects Ron Paul is willing to stand for this kind of treatment of him. I certainly won't stand by and do nothing.

I think you really need to go take a class on law at your local community college or heck read a book about. Maybe then you might have a clue what your talking about because right now you don't.

Also what other type of speech and forms of expression do you want to censor? Is the 1st amendment only applicable to things you agree with?

Kludge
04-18-2008, 11:03 PM
here is a link to the site stats - http://www.sitemeter.com/?a=stats&s=sm1wonkette

The part that cracked me up -

LMAO

Average Visit Length0:11

Soccrmastr
04-19-2008, 11:17 AM
I think you really need to go take a class on law at your local community college or heck read a book about. Maybe then you might have a clue what your talking about because right now you don't.

Also what other type of speech and forms of expression do you want to censor? Is the 1st amendment only applicable to things you agree with?

Absolutely agree with you d00d.

countrykidz4freedom
04-19-2008, 03:17 PM
You just can't fix stupid no matter what you try, and I have found to my dismay, that some people actually prefer to be stupid-so my feeling is why waste the time on them, when there are so many others who really want to hear the truth? There unfortunately are those who are scared to death of all the things Ron Paul stands for-I have had people say to me, "but if he takes the income tax, that will really hurt me, because I pay in a lot less than I get back", (they can't see that the overall economy will be better and better jobs also. There are also the typical bums who do not want to have to make any effort for themselves, and expect the gov to take care of them their entire lives-even if they live in bondage)

I spoke to someone who has a friend in Russia that owns a furniture factory-she told me that the factory owner has had such a hard time getting good workers, because even though the people have been under communist rule so long, you would think they would finally be happy to earn their own wages, the people had become so lazy, that it is hard to get them to be motivated enough to work. I think some people have to be fed their freedom in very small bites-like as with young children, who don't like the taste of a new nutritious food they haven't tasted before, it may take them a bit to get used to the taste of it before they realize it is what they are actually craving.

Unspun
04-19-2008, 03:41 PM

It's not libel. It's very clearly satire ( albeit poorly done and not that funny ). Wonkette is a joke, figuratively and literally.

diesirae
04-19-2008, 07:29 PM

qft

NH4RonPaul
04-24-2008, 03:02 AM
Wonkette is not only posted everywhere but is a regular guest on the television media as if they were some sort of authority. They are no better than Daily Kos. These are all trash sites by trash women who call themselves Republicans. They are just dreaming up the worst things they can say about someone.

Talk about Obama's racism and homosexuality though, and you'll be reprimanded about dirty campaign tactics.

They are no better than the National Enquirer when they say Ron Paul eats babies.
They ought to be sued for even joking about that.

Seanmc30
04-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Yea, Wonkette is just a collection of REALLY ignorant people. I would bet that the traffic from this site viewing their articles is the most traffic they ever received.