PDA

View Full Version : Why are we letting people trample all over us?

adam1mc
04-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Evansville man... If you're here, you need to put that sign back up. He can't tell you that you can't display a sign in the privacy of your own home.

Offensive Sign
http://tristatehomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=5925

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 @08:51am CST

An Evansville man is in trouble with his apartment complex for displaying an "offensive sign" on his balcony. A Ron Paul campaign sign. Tyler Mitchell says he came home Friday and found a note on his door from the front office of Devonshire Gardens apartments where he lives. In it, the manager asked him to take his sign down because it was quote "offensive or obnoxious" to some of the residents. Mitchell says his lease does not forbid political signs, but he complied and took his sign down. The manager at Devonshire Gardens said she could not comment and referred us to the corporate office. No one returned our calls.

dsentell
04-16-2008, 10:12 AM
My guess is the Evansville man isn't here, or he would not have taken the sign down.

I hope that he keeps all this in mind IF he should see a Hitlery, Osama, or McLame sign go up. Talk about "offensive or obnoxious" . . . .

Broadlighter
04-16-2008, 11:10 AM
He's a renter, he doesn't have a right to free speech on someone else's property. That doesn't make me think any better of the manager who told him to take the sign down.

That's why he capitulated. And yes, I think he should complain if someone puts a Hillary or Obama sign up on their balcony.

adam1mc
04-16-2008, 01:27 PM
He's a renter, he doesn't have a right to free speech on someone else's property. That doesn't make me think any better of the manager who told him to take the sign down.

That's why he capitulated. And yes, I think he should complain if someone puts a Hillary or Obama sign up on their balcony.

That's not true. I used to work for a satellite company and we would have all these customers calling trying to get out of their contract because they had moved to a place where the landlord didn't want them to have the dish.

Court rulings (I apologize but I don't feel like looking for them) stated that you could place the dish on any part of the property that you own or rent and that a landlord couldn't prevent you from placing the dish on a tripod on the porch or facing a window.

The same ruling would apply with the political sign. As long as he has the sign on the piece of property that he actually rents, the landlord can't require him to remove it.

He should look into renters rights in his area and contact the responsible organization for his area.

Broadlighter
04-16-2008, 01:56 PM
That's not true. I used to work for a satellite company and we would have all these customers calling trying to get out of their contract because they had moved to a place where the landlord didn't want them to have the dish.

Court rulings (I apologize but I don't feel like looking for them) stated that you could place the dish on any part of the property that you own or rent and that a landlord couldn't prevent you from placing the dish on a tripod on the porch or facing a window.

The same ruling would apply with the political sign. As long as he has the sign on the piece of property that he actually rents, the landlord can't require him to remove it.

He should look into renters rights in his area and contact the responsible organization for his area.

The legalities of renters rights will vary from area to area and are often at odds with the principle of property rights. In a competitive election, if you were the apartment owner and your renters wanted to put up McCain, Clinton and Obama signs in their windows, what would you do?

The principle of freedom acknowleges your right to do anything you want to do as long as it doesn't encroach on other persons or their property. A renter does not own the space he is living in, he's been given permission to live there by agreement with the landowner.

The One
04-16-2008, 01:59 PM
because we are self-loathing and don't think we deserve any better???