PDA

View Full Version : Would you be interested in joining an online "team" that focuses on one candidate?

Jeremy
04-16-2008, 08:17 AM
I've noticed the support for everyone running for congress isn't very organized on the grassroots level. If I started, for example, a team for B.J. Lawson or somebody else, would you be interested in joining? (Some things it might do: make videos, look for endorsements from political groups, raise money / moneybombs, promote the candidate, etc.)

ItsTime
04-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Good idea.

amy31416
04-16-2008, 08:20 AM
Yep, I'd be down with that.

yongrel
04-16-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm game.

Jeremy
04-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Then.... I'll start one for B.J. by the end of the day (maybe)... :p

So ya, be on the lookout. And people, still post here if you're interested

me3
04-16-2008, 08:26 AM
This is an interesting and necessary idea.

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Feelgood
04-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Ummm isnt this what their own campaign team is supposed to be for? Why not just coordinate with them? Their team cant possibly be as inept as RP's team is. I would start there.

amy31416
04-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Ummm isnt this what their own campaign team is supposed to be for? Why not just coordinate with them? Their team cant possibly be as inept as RP's team is. I would start there.

Who said there wouldn't be any coordination, within the limits of the law?

If you want something, you take some action--hopefully intelligent action.

constituent
04-16-2008, 10:09 AM
frankly, after all the " [gasp] you wouldn't expect that i help a candidate without being compensated, would you?" that we've seen as of late, i don't care to ever do free work for an individual candidate, at least not free work for individuals running outside of my local area.

i wish everyone the best though, and hope great things come of the effort, but this reality is worth considering if you plan to risk spending your time picking up slack and not getting anywhere (for "free," mind you).

amy31416
04-16-2008, 10:16 AM
frankly, after all the " [gasp] you wouldn't expect that i help a candidate without being compensated, would you?" that we've seen as of late, i don't care to ever do free work for an individual candidate, at least not free work for individuals running outside of my local area.

i wish everyone the best though, and hope great things come of the effort, but this reality is worth considering if you plan to risk spending your time picking up slack and not getting anywhere (for "free," mind you).

Well if you don't wish to contribute, then I suggest you don't--even with negativity.

Mckarnin
04-16-2008, 10:16 AM
I've noticed the support for everyone running for congress isn't very organized on the grassroots level. If I started, for example, a team for B.J. Lawson or somebody else, would you be interested in joining? (Some things it might do: make videos, look for endorsements from political groups, raise money / moneybombs, promote the candidate, etc.)

Over at a collaboration site I host we have a couple people collaborating who have done slim jim, graphic and website content work for Vern McKinley, Delvar, Brent Sanders and Collins...finding good writers with time has been a struggle. It may be good to join forces, but I won't be insulted if you'd rather now. If you want me to pull a group of folks into the collaboration site I have or you want to check it out just PM your email address and name. :)

amy31416
04-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Over at a collaboration site I host we have a couple people collaborating who have done slim jim, graphic and website content work for Vern McKinley, Delvar, Brent Sanders and Collins...finding good writers with time has been a struggle. It may be good to join forces, but I won't be insulted if you'd rather now. If you want me to pull a group of folks into the collaboration site I have or you want to check it out just PM your email address and name. :)

This is how we get organized and make some stuff happen. :)

I think it's a good idea to collaborate, why not?

pinkmandy
04-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Great idea! I'd join.

Jeremy
04-16-2008, 10:41 AM
OK, I'll contact you shortly.

By the way, in my 2nd post I said something would be up today.... I realized I will be away for a few days on the weekend, so I'd probably start it up on Monday.

Mckarnin
04-16-2008, 10:49 AM
This is how we get organized and make some stuff happen. :)

I think it's a good idea to collaborate, why not?

You now have collaboration site access... I really find this site useful for other projects I am on. It is a lot easier to keep track of than emails or a forum. If anyone else wants access just PM me your email and name.

K

constituent
04-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Well if you don't wish to contribute, then I suggest you don't--even with negativity.

negativity? what's negative about encouraging others to seek compensation for their efforts?

you know, get some Q1BOOST action happenin'

and as a side note, stick w/ mckarnin.

Akus
04-16-2008, 11:34 AM

I would be.

Any idea how a Texan can help elect a Ron Paul like Congressman in another state?

constituent
04-16-2008, 11:38 AM
I would be.

Any idea how a Texan can help elect a Ron Paul like Congressman in another state?

brent sanders is in your neighboring state. what part of texas are you in?

angelatc
04-16-2008, 11:39 AM

No. (Unless you're going to be working for *my* candidate, that is!) What I would be interested in is a private forum where some of us who are involved in the grassroots efforts can brainstorm about some of the obstacles facing us.

If you can combine the concept you have with the concept I have, then you rock.

RP4EVER
04-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Im in

Tarzan
04-16-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm in too... though I do need this to be a serious effort and think we need to make sure we are all pretty much on the same page. Obviously we are going to have different opinions about certain issues.

I think we can get a lot done for several congressional candidates. We will need to have a plan of action, real objectives and achievable goals. Maybe a conference call for a general discussion... or, perhaps some written ideas to send to one another and then a call to hash out the details.

I have a web hosting and development company, a screen printing company (tshirts & garments) and graphic abilities...
Some Samples (http://freedomsground.com/artwork.htm)

yongrel
04-16-2008, 03:42 PM
For this to be successful, I would want to see some organization, and a leadership structure.

I think it would make sense to have a steering committee of some sort, in order to more efficiently coordinate the efforts. I want nothing to do with that, but I'm sure there's a few folks that would be willing to take a leadership role.

Decentralized efforts are fine and dandy, but not for a small and concerted effort like this.

Jeremy
04-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Tarzan, are you one of the founders of Freedom's Ground or are you just helping them?

amy31416
04-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Have to agree with Tarzan and Yongrel, we need organization and some leadership on small, concerted efforts like this.

What's the next step?

BJ's mass donation day is Saturday, Vern McKinleys is May 1st. I have to put it in my spreadsheet when the actual voting takes place.

yongrel
04-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Have to agree with Tarzan and Yongrel, we need organization and some leadership on small, concerted efforts like this.

What's the next step?

BJ's mass donation day is Saturday, Vern McKinleys is May 1st. I have to put it in my spreadsheet when the actual voting takes place.

We need a website that can act as the central resource for information about candidates. Ideally, it would have pages for each candidate including bios and links and whatnot, as well as fundraising info. It would be preferable for it to have an email list to subscribe to, in order to have a central newsletter thingy for coordinating fundraising and other efforts.

I've been working on something, but I'm literally teaching myself CSS in order to do it. I'll post screenshots of what I've got so far.

amy31416
04-16-2008, 03:59 PM
We need a website that can act as the central resource for information about candidates. Ideally, it would have pages for each candidate including bios and links and whatnot, as well as fundraising info. It would be preferable for it to have an email list to subscribe to, in order to have a central newsletter thingy for coordinating fundraising and other efforts.

I've been working on something, but I'm literally teaching myself CSS in order to do it. I'll post screenshots of what I've got so far.

Swanky. Looking forward to it.

P.S. I know nothing of CSS. Anyone?

yongrel
04-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Here's the candidate bio page, as I see it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2206/2419002539_eeb0838aba.jpg?v=0

runningdiz
04-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Hey this is a good idea! Yongrel that looks really sharp and eye catching. Nice!

amy31416
04-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Here's the candidate bio page, as I see it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2206/2419002539_eeb0838aba.jpg?v=0

I like it....fantastic so far-very professional.

Jeremy
04-16-2008, 04:14 PM
I know CSS.

But by the way... I think it's time for us to move away from Ron Paul when talking about these candidates elsewhere on the web. There are other people that were never Ron Paul supporters but can support these guys... and I'm quite sure most RP people here know who's on "our side" or can at least look at the issues and decide on their own. Besides... it's just pretty obvious =p

edit - by the way yongrel, Jim Forsythe isn't running at this point and Santoro isn't running for U.S. Congress... he's running for state senate I think? i forget

amy31416
04-16-2008, 04:16 PM
I know CSS.

But by the way... I think it's time for us to move away from Ron Paul when talking about these candidates elsewhere on the web. There are other people that were never Ron Paul supporters but can support these guys... and I'm quite sure most RP people here know who's on "our side" or can at least look at the issues and decide on their own. Besides... it's just pretty obvious =p

Agreed. Just thinking on the same thing myself.

yongrel
04-16-2008, 04:17 PM
edit - by the way yongrel, Jim Forsythe isn't running at this point and Santoro isn't running for U.S. Congress... he's running for state senate I think? i forget

Yeah, I saw that as soon as I posted it. Fixed already.

Bradley in DC
04-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Katharine knows how to find me. ;)

Mckarnin
04-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Katharine knows how to find me. ;)

Mwahahahaha!

I already pulled two people who asked for access from the forum into the Congressional/Senate collaboration site...that may be a good place to start. If folks want to move elsewhere later than that 's fine with me.

Tarzan
04-16-2008, 05:04 PM
I can offer a Windows SharePoint site for planning and organization. It allows the ability to create sub-sites so we could have a central entry point... then sub-areas for different candidates. Obviously I think we can help more than one candidate. Frankly, I think we can "boiler plate" this effort with a selection of materials and resources from which the candidate and their team could simply select the choices we provide... more about that at a later time.

I don't care for the "collaboration site" Mckarnin mentioned (sorry Katharine) and find SharePoint much more robust and easier to use. Not insisting on this... just presenting it as another option. Here is a seven minute Utube tour of SharePoint for those interested. SharePoint Tour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXYcqTr4YbA&feature=related)

I think it is imperative we provide tools that can actually help these Constitutional Congressional candidates win... and do it quickly as time is running out. We need professional graphics and websites, well written materials (including speeches and talking points). We need to make sure we are working with serious candidates who are serious about winning and willing to see the effort through to the end... more about that later as well. :)

stormcommander... i am just a flunky on the Freedom's Ground effort.
Here is a site I did for out local congressman: http://ralphhall.com/

Jeremy
04-16-2008, 05:45 PM
I like the idea of a centralized place, but the only way it will happen is if somebody starts working on it... but then we might have more than one, right? Well I guess we better do that and work together at the same time. =p

But I also think the "team" idea should work with this. There could be branches of this one place, or the "teams" could be "partners" with it.

voytechs
04-16-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm already doing this for David Gay. I've built his website and I'm hosting it on my own server. Did the custom donation form. Also shot his video, pictures plus we meet regularly at my house. I'm like his personal slave, LOL. But joking aside, this is one hell of a motivated individual. If anyone can win the congressional seat, its David!! He just came back from Washington. Already had meetings in right to life committee down there. Also a very productive meeting with Dr. Paul himself. We hopefully will have some very good news coming in a few days. Can't say more than that right now.

Please donate to David's campaign at:

http://davidgay2008.com

voytechs
04-16-2008, 05:52 PM
I can offer a Windows SharePoint site for planning and organization. It allows the ability to create sub-sites so we could have a central entry point... then sub-areas for different candidates. Obviously I think we can help more than one candidate. Frankly, I think we can "boiler plate" this effort with a selection of materials and resources from which the candidate and their team could simply select the choices we provide... more about that at a later time.

I don't care for the "collaboration site" Mckarnin mentioned (sorry Katharine) and find SharePoint much more robust and easier to use. Not insisting on this... just presenting it as another option. Here is a seven minute Utube tour of SharePoint for those interested. SharePoint Tour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXYcqTr4YbA&feature=related)

I think it is imperative we provide tools that can actually help these Constitutional Congressional candidates win... and do it quickly as time is running out. We need professional graphics and websites, well written materials (including speeches and talking points). We need to make sure we are working with serious candidates who are serious about winning and willing to see the effort through to the end... more about that later as well. :)

You should check out:
http://www.freeople.com

Jeremy
04-16-2008, 05:54 PM
You should check out:

That has been around for some time... but have they really done much of anything?

yongrel
04-16-2008, 06:20 PM
I like the idea of a centralized place, but the only way it will happen is if somebody starts working on it... but then we might have more than one, right? Well I guess we better do that and work together at the same time. =p

But I also think the "team" idea should work with this. There could be branches of this one place, or the "teams" could be "partners" with it.

I'll continue working on my little site, but I really like the idea of Tarzan's sharepoint. Is there a way we could integrate them, or whatever?

It makes sense to me to have a single point on the web for both voters and candidates to go for information and resources. Bios for candidates, an event calendar, news updates, newsletter, etc for supporter. And then maybe a password protected area for confirmed candidates, with boilerplate speeches, brochures, mailings, graphics, even web templates.

If we can manage this, it will be a hell of a grassroots tool.

amy31416
04-16-2008, 06:35 PM
I'll second Tarzan's sharepoint as well, that sounds like it could work well.

This could be a really great thing. Thanks for the initial idea Storm.

voytechs
04-16-2008, 07:00 PM
That has been around for some time... but have they really done much of anything?

They are hosting a couple of websites. I've been in touch with Ron and he says they will be launching soon within a couple of weeks. I'm considering joining them to help out on the technical end. It really sounds like exactly what we are looking for and they are already way ahead with the idea. Might make more sense to join them instead of re-inventing the wheel.

yongrel
04-16-2008, 07:14 PM
They are hosting a couple of websites. I've been in touch with Ron and he says they will be launching soon within a couple of weeks. I'm considering joining them to help out on the technical end. It really sounds like exactly what we are looking for and they are already way ahead with the idea. Might make more sense to join them instead of re-inventing the wheel.

So freeople isn't up and running yet, but they will be soon?

voytechs
04-16-2008, 07:47 PM
So freeople isn't up and running yet, but they will be soon?

I think they are hosting a couple of people already, but no they aren't up and running just yet. Ron told me a couple more weeks. Its a big project with graphic artists, technical people etc.

Tarzan
04-16-2008, 10:27 PM
You should check out:

Thanks for the link. I have been there and contacted them to help. Ron got back with me so that's a good sign. But, this was supposed to be ready in mid-February... then mid-March... then the end of March... now its the middle of April.

We are running out of time and I don't think we can wait any longer. There are still primaries remaining and we could be helping constitutional candidates... but we are still waiting and too few have been helped.

If we have a group here willing to get this work done I think we should take the reigns now and get to work. We can help the folks going for a primary victory and the folks going for the general election as well.

I will put together some thoughts on organization and objectives and post them here tomorrow. It is kinda late and I need some sleep right now.

good luck to us all

Mckarnin
04-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Charles,

No insult taken. As long as we get things done. :)

pepperpete1
04-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the link. I have been there and contacted them to help. Ron got back with me so that's a good sign. But, this was supposed to be ready in mid-February... then mid-March... then the end of March... now its the middle of April.

We are running out of time and I don't think we can wait any longer. There are still primaries remaining and we could be helping constitutional candidates... but we are still waiting and too few have been helped.

If we have a group here willing to get this work done I think we should take the reigns now and get to work. We can help the folks going for a primary victory and the folks going for the general election as well.

I will put together some thoughts on organization and objectives and post them here tomorrow. It is kinda late and I need some sleep right now.

good luck to us all

Wowabunga was working on a site where all the meetup groups could collaborate.This was weeks ago and I think it came up too late in the campaign but may be incorporated to use for this project.
Someone with tech savvy should pm him and see if it could be used.
Just a suggestion.

No1ButPaul08
04-17-2008, 11:26 AM
I too would like to help come up with more ways to help our Congressional candidates. It seems like there hasn't been much grassroots activity in helping these people out. A lot of that stems from being hundreds or thousands of miles away from the candidate you are trying to help. I think if we work together we can come up with ways to help these people out to get more Constitutionalists in Congress.

Tarzan
04-17-2008, 12:12 PM

Some of these people will not have their own teams... or, a team with limited resources and abilities. If such a team is available... YES, we should coordinate with them and provide them the support they need.

To me this effort should be about providing the resources the candidate needs to get elected. This includes (but is not limited to) graphics for yard signs, flyers, slim jims, newspaper ads, websites, speeches, buttons, tshirts, signs, videos, marketing assistance, etc., etc., etc.

If we have an "agency" setup to provide this type of support to constitutional candidates we can save money by not having to duplicate our efforts for every candidate. Instead, we could have a single source for providing this material. It will make our donation dollars go further. It will also give us a real chance of getting representatives in congress who can begin making a difference.

Tarzan
04-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Are you interested in working on this project?

If you are interested in getting this project started now... and, if you are interested in seeing this project through to the end... and, if you have a skill set such as graphics, web development, video production, copy writing, research work, polling and any other professional level skills... and you are committed to supporting candidates who will follow the Constitution... etc.

The goal is to support Constitutionally committed candidates with a viable possibility of winning in the general election in November. We will have limited time and resources and we will need to focus our efforts on viable prospects. Personally, I am not willing to spend time and effort on fringe candidates and those with no possibility of winning in the general election. So, this will need to be a serious, professional effort by those willing to participate.

Please PM with your contact information (including phone number and the best time to call) and I will get to work setting up an online collaboration area.

skyorbit
04-17-2008, 05:47 PM
That sounds good.

I'd look to work on campaigns for people that actually have a strong chance of winning.

I'd like to help be part of a Murray Sabrin team. I think he needs all the help he can get.

Tracy

kigol
04-17-2008, 06:03 PM
sounds interesting

voytechs
04-17-2008, 06:18 PM
I can extend this offer to any freedom loving candidate. I lease a dedicated server at a colocation facility. I can easily create new websites that look like David's:

http://davidgay2008.com

You get to create the content and post/edit any time. Create pages and customize to your hearts content. I'm just not a graphic designer nor artistically inclined so I can't help there.

The website is based on a CMS (Content Management System) where the content is the king, and you simply choose a theme for the look and feel of the website. Menus and all.

If anyone does need a website like that in a hurry, I can make it happen.

Now, that being said, freeople has got the right idea, and they are taking it a step further. I think their delay has been due to the fact that they just couldn't get enough people to join and support it. They need artists, writers, etc...

My approach is simpler and immediate and will work in the mean time.

crazyfingers
04-17-2008, 06:29 PM
I really like this idea. I don't have any of those specific skill sets you mentioned, but I think this could be much more than a "behind the scenes" operation. Maybe we can organize letter writing/phone banking campaigns or grassroots radio/internet ads. Any way that we could help to get out the vote on election day would be crucial.

These guys need our help. They don't have the special interests behind them. We need to be the people they can lean on to help put them over the top.

voytechs
04-17-2008, 06:39 PM
I really like this idea. I don't have any of those specific skill sets you mentioned, but I think this could be much more than a "behind the scenes" operation. Maybe we can organize letter writing/phone banking campaigns or grassroots radio/internet ads. Any way that we could help to get out the vote on election day would be crucial.

These guys need our help. They don't have the special interests behind them. We need to be the people they can lean on to help put them over the top.

+1 :D

amy31416
04-17-2008, 06:47 PM
+1 :D

+3! Even if you don't have the specific skill sets mentioned, there's plenty more that will come up and many things to do.

Thanks voytechs and all others who've been showing interest!

Tarzan
04-18-2008, 09:33 AM
+3! Even if you don't have the specific skill sets mentioned, there's plenty more that will come up and many things to do.

Absolutely!!! We will need folks who can coordinate with the candidates or the candidate's team... folks to do internet research... folks to do grunt work (pardon the expression because it is still important work)... there are tons of things we can do if we can enlist enough of the right people.

Come on folks... this is your chance to make a real difference and help get some Constitutional Congressmen in office!!!

I have only heard from two people and that is not enough to get the necessary work done. In particular, we need some VERY GOOD copy writers to present the message to the voters. Time is running out... we can't wait any longer for Freeople or others... LET'S GO FOLKS!

amy31416
04-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Confused or uninterested in the delegate process? Still want to help the movement?

This is an opportunity to make a real difference no matter what your skills are.

Tarzan, thanks for taking the bull by the horns and for all you're doing.

Tarzan
04-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Confused or uninterested in the delegate process? Still want to help the movement?

This is an opportunity to make a real difference no matter what your skills are.

Shameless Bump...
Come on folks... put your efforts into something that can make a real difference.

:)

runningdiz
04-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Absolutely!!! We will need folks who can coordinate with the candidates or the candidate's team... folks to do internet research... folks to do grunt work (pardon the expression because it is still important work)... there are tons of things we can do if we can enlist enough of the right people.

Come on folks... this is your chance to make a real difference and help get some Constitutional Congressmen in office!!!

I have only heard from two people and that is not enough to get the necessary work done. In particular, we need some VERY GOOD copy writers to present the message to the voters. Time is running out... we can't wait any longer for Freeople or others... LET'S GO FOLKS!

Tarzan what do you mean by copy writers? Confused by this, could you elaborate. Thanks!

Tarzan
04-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Tarzan what do you mean by copy writers? Confused by this, could you elaborate. Thanks!

Sorry... a copywriter is someone who writes copy for a variety of media, including collateral pieces. While skill sets will differ, they should be capable of writing position papers, website content, material for literature (flyers, slim jims, etc.), speeches, radio ads, tv ads, articles and other content... at least for our particular needs.

One of the major problems our movement has had is clearly explaining the issues and the BENEFITS of following our Constitution. Bluntly, "The Message" has not been well presented. We need written and verbal materials that can immediately connect with potential voters and maintain their attention during the presentation of the message. Using terms like "fiat dollars", "end the IRS", "end the Federal Reserve" may be accurate but are too much for most voters to take in. These terms are the end results of an educational process... expecting voters to understand the conclusion is unrealistic.

We need materials that can connect with people immediately. Then, give them a broader version of the message in a deliberate manner to hold their attention. Basically, make a connection then provide bite sized bits to which they can relate and that have meaning to them.

Most of the current candidates have absolutely terrible written materials. Unfortunately, the materials from the official campaign are not any better. We need copy writers who can help craft a better presentation of the material to help these candidates win... we don't want to change the message, just the way it is presented.

For example, if you take the raw ingredients for a seven course meal and chuck it in a blender... set it to puree and then drink it... It will look and taste terrible! But, if this meal is properly cooked and presented it looks and tastes wonderful. The ingredients (or content) are identical but the difference in the results is enormous... you can't swallow one and you can't resist the other. That is what we need to accomplish; "The Message" presented in a manner that makes it irresistible.

“Copywriting is a job.
A skilled craft.
Verbal Carpentry.
Words on paper.
Scripts to time.
And one more thing…
Salesmanship.”.
Bruce Bendinger (noted copywriting instructor)

Tarzan
04-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Another shameless bump.
So, are you ready to roll up your sleeves and do some real work to get some real results?

PM me if you want to participate... let's stop hoping for pie-in-the-sky and get more "Ron Paul Clones" in congress.