PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal for them to ask us at the convention, who we support?

Eric21ND
04-15-2008, 11:07 PM
This is a question for everyone, but came from someone in Missouri.

orlandoinfl
04-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Tell them you support McCain. Everyone can support McCain for his service to his country. That is not mutually exclusive with supporting Ron Paul. Done.

tangent4ronpaul
04-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Dr. Parent was talking about this in the delegates conference call tonight. They can not unless it's in they bylaws for the county/state that you must disclose who you support, and in that case you should try to change the bylaws.

-n

Bradley in DC
04-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Dr. Parent was talking about this in the delegates conference call tonight. They can not unless it's in they bylaws for the county/state that you must disclose who you support, and in that case you should try to change the bylaws.

-n

Of course they can ask, don't be silly.

rancher89
04-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Well, we decided to declare ourselves for ron paul and take our lumps, got elected delegate and alternate delegate, as official ron paul supporters...no one even voted against us

see ya in St Paul

syborius
04-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Well, we decided to declare ourselves for ron paul and take our lumps, got elected delegate and alternate delegate, as official ron paul supporters...no one even voted against us

see ya in St Paul

That happens not to be the case for 90% of the others. Some counties that are not neo-con invested might work that way, but usually, any populous county will typically have the neo-con mechanization and will be on the hunt for RP supporters

LibertyIn08
04-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Is it legal for them to ask? Yes.

Is it legal for them to force you to give a response? Depends on your state by-laws, but at the very least you should state who you are bound to, if bound.

Each state is different.

Drsteveparent
04-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Of course they can ask, don't be silly.

Bradley why can't you answer the question in the proper manner instead of being a jerk all the time.

Your superior intellect overwhelms us all.

What he meant to say considering it was me that spoke to the national delegate association for ron paul last night should have read.

That you are only required to answer that question if it is in your bylaws stated as such.

If it is in your bylaws you need to try to ammend them to remove the clause but actually this is a violation of rules of order for it is a vote that is cast in secret.

However Any clause in the bylaws that conflict with state or national law is null and void even with unanimous consent by the assembly.

rancher89
04-16-2008, 03:24 PM
That happens not to be the case for 90% of the others. Some counties that are not neo-con invested might work that way, but usually, any populous county will typically have the neo-con mechanization and will be on the hunt for RP supporters

I agree, we were lucky that our district was so poorly attended and so very disorganized. No one voted against us, however, this something that I was very surprised about.

Our state rules require that we declare who we will vote for when we are nominated for delegate or alternate.

(I just double checked the rules before I posted this..)

Our delegates are apportioned according to the upcoming primary vote. This will happen at the state convention. If rp gets 10% of the vote (I wish), 10% of the delegates from NC will vote for him, first round. (All bets are off the second round) We have 27 "at large delegates" that will be elected at the state convention, the apportioning will be pulled from those delegates.