PDA

View Full Version : If your not Baptist, don't settle in Texas!

driller80545
04-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Seems like another of the out of the mainstream religious sects have been destroyed in Texas under the heading of "protecting the children". We haven't changed one bit from the times when we kidnapped the Indian children so that we could teach them to live like the white men. Families destroyed because of alternative lifestyles-personal liberty as long as it fits the culture. Way to go, Texas, again. From the Branch Davidians to the FLDS Church, the message is-don't come to Texas and try minding your own business, we don't cotton to you weirdoes and will destroy you.

Kotin
04-15-2008, 10:11 PM
hey cmon, it is not like that everywhere in Texas.

"To generalize is to be an idiot."

-William Blake

driller80545
04-15-2008, 10:15 PM
It is like that in most of the USA

nate895
04-15-2008, 10:20 PM
What's wrong with Baptists?

Corydoras
04-15-2008, 10:53 PM
It has occurred to me that the FLDS people would have had a much easier time in New England, but they weren't sophisticated enough to go the route of marketing themselves to the outside as a New Age polyamorous alternate lifestyle instead of as a polygamous Christian denomination. Some kind of bs phrasing like "a family-oriented co-operative community of spirit" would fly in New England.

ChooseLiberty
04-16-2008, 12:19 AM
You're allowed to be Catholic if you look Mexican.

Or you can be Hindu or Buddhist if you speak with a funny accent.

the message is-don't come to Texas and try minding your own business, we don't cotton to you weirdoes and will destroy you.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
04-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Seems like another of the out of the mainstream religious sects have been destroyed in Texas under the heading of "protecting the children". We haven't changed one bit from the times when we kidnapped the Indian children so that we could teach them to live like the white men. Families destroyed because of alternative lifestyles-personal liberty as long as it fits the culture. Way to go, Texas, again. From the Branch Davidians to the FLDS Church, the message is-don't come to Texas and try minding your own business, we don't cotton to you weirdoes and will destroy you.

How can you criticize Texas for taking care of Texas? How far away do you live from Texas? Tyranny happened in the American Colony because King George was ruling it from 3000 miles away.
The problem with Waco was that the Federal government surrounded the Davidians. So, the State of Texas has transported the people off the property.
Now, if your argument focussed on why the State of Texas is involved in governing the child abuse of the Mormons while the Catholic Church is being allowed to govern itself in regards to their own cases of child abuse, then you have isolated the real problem.
Some think we are ruled by the Catholic Church. With 70 million members and lots of money, how can you blame the Baptists in Texas for the plight of the persecuted Mormons? I see little difference between Mormonism and Catholicism. While the Mormon religion was created by Joseph Smith, Catholicism was created by Emperor Constantine.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
04-16-2008, 11:01 AM
What's wrong with Baptists?

Certainly foreign Americans outside of the State of Texas understand that Waco happened because of the Federal government and not the Baptists in the
State of Texas? The Davidians called 911 on the ATF and talked to a sheriff who had no idea what was going on. After the Federal government was finished blowing up, poisoning, shooting and burning the Davidian children, the Texas Rangers went in to do a criminal investigation but the crime scene was deliberately destroyed.

constituent
04-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Certainly foreign Americans outside of the State of Texas understand that Waco happened because of the Federal government and not the Baptists in the
State of Texas? The Davidians called 911 on the ATF and talked to a sheriff who had no idea what was going on. After the Federal government was finished blowing up, poisoning, shooting and burning the Davidian children, the Texas Rangers went in to do a criminal investigation but the crime scene was deliberately destroyed.

amen to that.

:: still thinks waco was total MKULTRA ::

driller80545
04-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I singled out Baptists because of their "my way or the highway" religious doctrine. I feel it is this narrow minded intolerance that is the root of these gross violations of people's rights. I did not mean that Texas has a monopoly on religious intolerance. I just don't like it when one group of fanatics (and that is my opinion of Southern Baptists) are determined to exert their moral values with the use of force on any other group or individual. Do I think that there was child abuse in that compound-no way. But they certainly were not abiding by the religious right's ideas of family values and that is the root of the problem.

weslinder
04-16-2008, 12:26 PM
I singled out Baptists because of their "my way or the highway" religious doctrine. I feel it is this narrow minded intolerance that is the root of these gross violations of people's rights. I did not mean that Texas has a monopoly on religious intolerance. I just don't like it when one group of fanatics (and that is my opinion of Southern Baptists) are determined to exert their moral values with the use of force on any other group or individual. Do I think that there was child abuse in that compound-no way. But they certainly were not abiding by the religious right's ideas of family values and that is the root of the problem.

You should talk to more Baptists, or at least one.

driller80545
04-16-2008, 12:29 PM
I have already talked to too many Baptists for too many years. You are nuts.

Theocrat
04-16-2008, 12:39 PM
I have already talked to too many Baptists for too many years. You are nuts.

You sound like a "Baptistist"...

Kade
04-16-2008, 01:08 PM
It has occurred to me that the FLDS people would have had a much easier time in New England, but they weren't sophisticated enough to go the route of marketing themselves to the outside as a New Age polyamorous alternate lifestyle instead of as a polygamous Christian denomination. Some kind of bs phrasing like "a family-oriented co-operative community of spirit" would fly in New England.

No, actually it wouldn't. Try again.

nf7mate
04-16-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm not a Baptist, but I agree with most of the Baptist doctrine. Did you know that within the greater Baptist church there are many divisions? Did you know that some of these divisions are radically different than others? Did you know that each division of the Baptist church has many churches, and all churches within a division are not the same? Did you know that each church has different individuals in it, and each individual is unique?

You should be ashamed of yourself for making generalizing statements about Baptists.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
04-16-2008, 01:31 PM
hey cmon, it is not like that everywhere in Texas.

"To generalize is to be an idiot."

-William Blake

We tend to blame cruelty and persecution on the tendencies of inferior people to generalize rather than on the tendencies of our own superior minds to suffer from irrational tyranny.
Ironically, learning to generalize is primarily what created Western Civilization because doing so helped people understand how they were being taken advantage of by tyranny.
First off, there was a time in Greece when the endeavors of reading and writing were not considered intelligent.
For example, as Socrates did not write, some think he could not read either. People just did not appreciate generalized classification and such required the prerequisites of reading and writing. Instead, Greeks appreciated the spontaneity of the sophist (literally "wisdomer") orators, the fancy prose of the ancient Sages and the unethical intentions of the illogical Poets. The oral tradition ruled the day with acting troubadours keeping Homer's books to memory as they travelled the world of Greece performing his stories live in front of Greek audiences on 3 continents. Even Plato himself delivered his dialogues to his students in the oral tradition while his most astute student Aristotle wrote them to scrolls.
So, there existed a huge amount of undefined terminology before the zenith of the Socratic philosophers. To classify this terminology required the development of dialectical truth engines so that people could learn to generalize (define). These dialectics later became known as the Socratic Method, the concept of the "Best Principled Statement" which Plato based on his "Theory of the Forms" and Aristotle's rational processes of "Formal Logic" and "The Four Causes."
Secondly, the problem with accusing others of irrational generalizing is the assumption that we clearly understand each other just because we speak the same language. This is the theory we use to justify ourselves as superior "Talking Heads" or "Spin Doctors" even though we operate thousands of miles away from reality as foreign agents. We don't consider this process tyrannical because the information is substantiated by on-the-spot correspondents.
The problem with these correspondents is that they have to perceive whether the information is generalized or not. But really, even if a person is next to us, can we determine epistemologically whether they are sharing generalized gossip or whether it is solid information? Solid information today representing that which is entertaining?
Rather than depending on gossip, we need to get our tyrant noses out of foreign business. This means that the state of Texas should take care of Texas.

FreeTraveler
04-16-2008, 01:37 PM
I was raised in the Southern Baptist church. The first major break with my family occurred after I walked out of a sermon when the preacher declared any guy with long hair was a tool of the devil because the Beatles claimed to be more popular than God.

Since then, they have gotten intolerant. :D Snake oil is snake oil, but at least the Southern Baptist brand tastes so bad that most people with a brain stop taking it after a while.

Yes, there are sub-sects, and each individual is separate... but they are intolerant due to the teachings of their church. I've never met a Southern Baptist who wasn't wearing huge blinders called faith, yet they have the nerve to declare that anyone who believes differently is going to hell.

Personally, if it's gonna be filled with Southern Baptists, I'll take a pass on heaven.

I'm not a Baptist, but I agree with most of the Baptist doctrine. Did you know that within the greater Baptist church there are many divisions? Did you know that some of these divisions are radically different than others? Did you know that each division of the Baptist church has many churches, and all churches within a division are not the same? Did you know that each church has different individuals in it, and each individual is unique?

You should be ashamed of yourself for making generalizing statements about Baptists.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
04-16-2008, 01:43 PM

You are speaking as an outsider. If you actually lived in Texas you would realize that they feel their State government is superior to the Federal. You would also realize that any place outside of Texas is unquestionably inferior. That is just the Texas way.

Alex Libman
04-16-2008, 01:47 PM
What the government did there is inexcusable. Anyone who's still paying taxes to those fascists should be ashamed of themselves!

sfws09
04-16-2008, 01:59 PM
i am a SB. i do not care what you think of me, or other SB. but do not judge me based on others. i do not and will not 'force' some one to believe just as i do. in fact, i am sure i have views that differ from many in my church. Jesus did not force anyone to convert/believe; i shall not either.

rbu
04-16-2008, 02:15 PM
There is a reason Texas was the most moved to state in the union in 2007.

1. Dallas/Ft.Worth
2. Houston
3. Austin
4. San Antonio

Census: Texas Is the Hot Place to Live (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i4gy-vAKUj1Eqvu5jGq5H0OVYfWgD8VLSONO0)

Hopefully we'll secede soon :)

driller80545
04-16-2008, 03:43 PM
You are speaking as an outsider. If you actually lived in Texas you would realize that they feel their State government is superior to the Federal. You would also realize that any place outside of Texas is unquestionably inferior. That is just the Texas way.

Yes, an outsider. Born and raised in Texas and lived here for most of 60 years. So don't tell me about Texans intolerance of things different. They elected herr Bush as govenor and president for his stupid family values. And now Mr. NAU Perry. Still superior to the Fed gov, you are right on that one.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
04-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Yes, an outsider. Born and raised in Texas and lived here for most of 60 years. So don't tell me about Texans intolerance of things different. They elected herr Bush as govenor and president for his stupid family values. And now Mr. NAU Perry. Still superior to the Fed gov, you are right on that one.

It doesn't matter if Texas government is superior to the Federal. The ideal that Texans feel that their state government is great is what is lacking in this nation. Seems a lot of states treat Washington D.C. as their local government.
Look, I don't necessarily agree with how the Texas government is treating Mormons. Still, it is far better to have Texans take care of the Mormons in Texas than it is to have foreigners from Washington D.C. and other Puritan parts of the nation (Those cold places where weird, naked people still practice witchcraft and other pagan rituals while dancing around a maypole).
In regards to that Bush fellow? Yes. That is something that Texans can be incredibly ashamed about. But the state also has that Dr. Ronald Paul fellow which means it is the birthplace for the next great American movement.