PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC refuses to air "Gunshow Loophole" ad

devil21
04-15-2008, 06:57 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/ April 15 7:35pm

The cable network MSNBC has refused to air an advertisement from Mayors Against Illegal Guns, the group created by New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg,on the grounds that the ad is too "controversial."

The ad, below, features each of the three leading presidential candidates pledging to make it harder to buy guns at gun shows, and images of three mayors urging viewers to call Congress and ask that a bill closing the "gun-show loophole" be passed.

The ad is airing on CNN and Fox, and on affiliates around the country, a Bloomberg aide said.

But in an email obtained by Politico, an MSNBC account executive told the group the network wouldn't air the ad.

"just heard back from legal about your script...unfortunately, we can not accept as it is a controversial issue ad," said the email from the account executive.

New York's criminal-justice coordinator, John Feinblatt, called MSNBC's decision "amazing.'

"How could the network call something controversial that all three candidates agree about," he said. "All three cands have called for the gun-show loophole to be closed."

"The only thing that’s really shocking here is that the loophole hasn’t been closed," he said.

MSNBC spokesman Jeremy Gaines didn't respond directly about questions as to what makes the ad controversial, but emailed, "We don't accept controversial issue advertising."

Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwzaivgpaDk

Ive heard about this supposed "gunshow loophole" but what is it? I know here in NC any handgun purchases/transfers require a permit from the sheriff, even at gunshows. What exactly is this loophole they are talking about? Btw, it looks like MSNBC isnt airing it because Hillary is in it after having just made a stand in support of guns.

Kotin
04-15-2008, 07:02 PM
i went to a gun show in San Antonio and bought a pistol without any documentation at all..

just payed cash and left.

i think that may be what your talking about but i dont know that it is like that in every state..

devil21
04-15-2008, 07:18 PM
i went to a gun show in San Antonio and bought a pistol without any documentation at all..

i think that may be what your talking about but i dont know that it is like that in every state..

So this "loophole" probably varies by state law? And they are pushing for the Feds to step in and legislate gun control that overrides current state laws? Would that be an accurate assessment?

Kotin
04-15-2008, 07:20 PM
So this "loophole" probably varies by state law? And they are pushing for the Feds to step in and legislate gun control that overrides current state laws? Would that be an accurate assessment?

that may well be the case, as i live in Texas, and we love our 2nd Amendment here..

like, for example, i do highly doubt that you could do this in California. but it may also depend on the dealer you buy it from if your in a state that is less likely to let you just buy it and walk..

because some of these dealers just break the rules cause they hate them, sometimes you can get lucky and find one of them..

but i'm sure the feds are somehow trying to undermine this.

devil21
04-15-2008, 07:44 PM
After researching a bit, it appears that the loophole is regarding private seller to private buyer handgun sales. Some states (NC does not, but SC does) allow private sellers who set up at gun shows to make sales without permits or background checks. Only federal firearms license holding sellers must go through the process. Just another example of the feds trying to infringe on state's rights issues.

Kotin
04-15-2008, 08:33 PM
interesting.

are you close to the border lol..

SWATH
04-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Yes, the "gunshow loophole" is as much a loophole as buying a used car is a "loophole" around the dealership. Closing the "gunshow loophole" is plainly a ban on face to face gun sales. This would require that ALL gun sales go through a government regulated dealer so as to keep records on you. I believe McCain also wants to redefine the definition of "gunshow" to be so broad so as to saddle them with so many Federal regulations that it would virtually ban them.

devil21
04-15-2008, 09:54 PM
interesting.

are you close to the border lol..

Why yes I am! The more the SHTF the more Ive been thinking about buying one off the records, so this is definitely a topic of interest to me. Ive never been to a gun show before but I get the image of cops all over the place and sellers demanding my "papers" to even handle a weapon. I guess that's not true?

Doktor_Jeep
04-15-2008, 11:58 PM
If you think buying a gun "off the records" is some kind of loophole,

think about who calls it a loophole.

Funny, the state makes impositions and infringements and when that's not enough, where you can still legally transfer a firearm without paperwork, they call that a loophole!

Why? Because they cannot pass the law to eliminate private sales.

No law against it, therefore no loophole.

So don't fall into THEIR semantical trap. Let them control the language and you let them control you.

Meanwhile, if you think it's a free for all and some laws should be passed, you can already be held responsible for selling a gun to a criminal.

And if you think everybody should be in an ATF database with new laws to keep us "safe" while the criminals can still get all of the guns they want, then you need to kill your account here and perhaps see if there is a Hilary or Obama forum. I hear they can use the help.

SWATH
04-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Why yes I am! The more the SHTF the more Ive been thinking about buying one off the records, so this is definitely a topic of interest to me. Ive never been to a gun show before but I get the image of cops all over the place and sellers demanding my "papers" to even handle a weapon. I guess that's not true?

Definately not true. Generally the only cops are the ones at the door checking to make sure any weapons you bring in are unloaded or any that happen to be shopping. No one will ask you for any papers, even if you buy a gun from a dealer, the only "papers" you'll need will be your drivers license and your FRN's. If you buy from just a guy walking around with his guns for sale or from a private seller with a booth/table there is no record of the transaction whatsoever, so long as you pay with cash, which you will.

SWATH
04-16-2008, 07:11 AM
I really wish they would show the ad. It would really hurt McCain.

Dr.3D
04-16-2008, 07:13 AM
I remember an article a while back describing the ATF stopping people who had just left a gun show and searching their vehicles. Does anybody know what became of that incident?

hillertexas
04-16-2008, 07:47 AM
I really wish they would show the ad. It would really hurt McCain.

My speculation:

Maybe that is the real reason the ad is considered controversial. It does look pretty bad when a lot of people in this country are saying that McCain, Hillary, and Obama are essentially the same....and then there is a tv ad to reinforce that idea. And John McCain can't come across as anti-gun...not in the mainstream media. I think MSNBC is less concerned about the "gun show loophole" and more concerned about how the candidates are portrayed in the ad.

Or, with the DC gun ban case going on, maybe they don't want the people to worry their pretty little heads about something silly like the 2nd Amendment. Heaven forbid the people actually start thinking about gun rights.

devil21
04-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Definately not true. Generally the only cops are the ones at the door checking to make sure any weapons you bring in are unloaded or any that happen to be shopping. No one will ask you for any papers, even if you buy a gun from a dealer, the only "papers" you'll need will be your drivers license and your FRN's. If you buy from just a guy walking around with his guns for sale or from a private seller with a booth/table there is no record of the transaction whatsoever, so long as you pay with cash, which you will.

Thanks for the info. That doesn't sound as bad as I thought. Guess Ill be making a little trip shortly as it looks like there's a show this weekend an hour away in SC! I guess I should start boning up on my firearms knowledge so I make an informed purchase.

The One
04-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Ugh....this topic always disgusts me.

I go to about two gun shows a month. 99% of the sellers are dealers and require the same backgrounds checks that are required at a store.

Every once in a while, some dude will be there with his own table set up trying to sell 2 or 3 of his personal guns. That wouldn't require a background check, just like if you came to my house and bought one of my guns.

The whole "gunshow loophole" concept is incredibly misleading. Frankly, it's a bunch of bullshit and is another grab at control by the gubment.

SWATH
04-16-2008, 02:30 PM
The whole "gunshow loophole" concept is incredibly misleading. Frankly, it's a bunch of bullshit and is another grab at control by the gubment.

Yeah it's almost as stupid as saying

"Hey we need to close the criminal sustenence loophole! We have discovered that criminals may be able to nurish themselves without the use of money...by stealing it...from mother nature. It is a brilliant and diabolical scheme that involves a potential criminal actually growing their own food out of the ground, ripping off essential nutrients and vitamins from earth, instead of using money that they have to earn to buy food from the grocery store. This is something that has been going on right under the noses of the authorities for who knows how long, maybe thousands of years."

Absurd

the_british_are_coming
05-03-2008, 02:34 AM

devil21
05-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks for bumping this thread, I forgot all about it. Im the proud new owner of a Glock 19 :)

Renegades
05-07-2008, 09:39 PM

Nice...enjoy your new pistol.

CountryboyRonPaul
05-08-2008, 08:46 AM
I can proudly say, out of the 4 guns I may or may not own, not one is registered. ;)

the_british_are_coming
05-21-2008, 02:25 AM
And if you think everybody should be in an ATF database with new laws to keep us "safe" while the criminals can still get all of the guns they want, then you need to kill your account here and perhaps see if there is a Hilary or Obama forum. I hear they can use the help.

yeah, you do need help.