PDA

View Full Version : Talking to Cuba

peters
04-15-2008, 03:30 PM
This idea accidentally hit me, and I have no idea of the workings of the foreign relations politics in the US, so it might be completely off. But let's see:

Cuba seems to doing tiny steps towards a more free society. There's no way to know if the move in this direction lasts.

Assuming it does, the US will be strongly pushed to reconsider the economic measures against Cuba. Besides the international and national pressures, the allure of an unsaturated market just offshore may be of use during the heavy economical times. And of course, this may not happen either.

Now, should this prospect look hopeful, who will be sent for the first speculative talks, before the official diplomatic negotiations start? They can't just send the third secretary of the fifth assistant, they need someone with a name. They also need deniability, should things go wrong, or a possible victim to blame (with any later fame possibly going to someone who followed). Not everyone will want that job.

Then there's this crazy RP guy.
- you want him out of Washington at every possible opportunity
- he always talked out loudly against the sanctions against Cuba
- then again, he is definitely no friend of the regime
- you can hate him, but he is a principled, reliable person, and if you send him with a laundry list of demands, and have his word, he will do his darn best to achieve it, not budging an inch
- lastly, he can be good company, charismatic even; plus he is in the age bracket of the Castro tandem. (Not to speak of the whole 'revolutionary' shtick.)

---

There's many if's to this one. But I wanted to point out another option how to get rid of the man, who just can't seem to be stopping gaining impact: send him outside.

And that might not be a bad thing either. :)

peters
04-21-2008, 09:38 AM
So... too weird of an idea?

You know that if they air Sopranos (http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0421/p12s01-woam.html) on Cuban national TV, there might be something happening.

acptulsa
04-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Yeah, but if he succeeds you've just made him look good--or, rather, given him the stage and an opportunity. Can't have that...

Truth Warrior
04-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Ron seems to have a very strong "anti-junket" propensity.