PDA

View Full Version : Uneducated Pennsylvanians.

123tim
04-15-2008, 06:23 AM
Here is something that had been frustrating me - People who think that voting for Ron Paul will cause McCain to lose to Obama.

After being hit three times with the comment "Voting for Ron Paul (in the Primary) is like casting a vote for Obama" I finally started stating the obvious. I just say "What do you have to lose?" I then explain the obvious (apparently not) that
Obama has nothing to do with the Republican primary election. I tell them that if they vote for Ron Paul and he wins, they win. I then tell them if McCain wins they have lost nothing. This seems to work a lot better than trying to explain what every voter should already know.

I talked on the phone to a "previous" Ron Paul supporter (says that he still is) who said "Why weaken McCain's vote?" I finally gave up on him.

I don't know what is going on in the minds of the people. Maybe this primary seems like it's been going on forever? Does everyone think that April 22 will decide our next President?

Go figure.

danielboon
04-15-2008, 07:40 AM
we need to keep giving them the messege don't give up .

DirtMcGirt
04-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Tell them to go ahead and vote for JM if they can't but convinced, but make sure they vote for the right delegates...

scandinaviany3
04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
if mccain has supposably won the nomination then its time to make sure that paul and others on the ballot that really represent you get the remaining votes to send a message to john mccain and the party on what they must focus on and not their own personal plans.

salsero96
04-15-2008, 12:44 PM
I feel your frustration....

I get that response quite often as well... Here is what I tell them...

I am voting FOR Ron Paul because he stands for everything that I believe in. You can go ahead and vote AGAINST Obama, or Hillary, or whoever you want... But just remember, in doing so, you are NOT voting according to your beliefs. So, Go ahead and vote for McCain. But when he screws up our country even more than it already is, it will be on your conscience. You will have to live with the fact that your decision contributed to the decline of our country. Your decision will not only affect your future and my future, but our children's future as well. You will have to live with that. You can vote for whoever you want. But I am going to vote for what I believe in.
You know... There was a time when that was actually considered an honorable thing to do.

familydog
04-15-2008, 02:06 PM
What part of PA are you finding this in?

123tim
04-15-2008, 07:38 PM
What part of PA are you finding this in?

Central Pennsylvania - I live in an extremely strong Republican community. I'm now starting to realize that everyone toes the party line. I'm starting to realize that you don't have to think about much if you just do what you're told to do.

countrykidz4freedom
04-15-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm praying those PA voters can shake off the fear and vote Ron Paul. I feel for you, I have run into some of this even with some of my own relatives-I just want to shake them and say "Wake up!!!" It is awful that the " fear factor" has gone so far, that it's even in the voting. I have even had people act furtive in a public store, if I start telling them about Ron Paul- and how his becoming president would really help them-I notice some of them look around with an anxious look on their faces like they are afraid someone might overhear them-they can't get past the fear of Obama getting pres, to comprehend that of the 2 parties, Ron Paul is the only exception- all the others are headed down the same path.

freesoul
04-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Central Pennsylvania - I live in an extremely strong Republican community. I'm now starting to realize that everyone toes the party line. I'm starting to realize that you don't have to think about much if you just do what you're told to do.

just give them the sample ballot for the RP delegates in their district and just ask them to vote for the conservative GOP delegates to get the party back on track.

http://www.ronpaulpa.com/congressional_districts.php

Only the delegates matter!!!

losinglife
04-16-2008, 06:33 AM
I hate to break it to everyone but its pretty much an anti-rp Obama fuckfest in the south west corner.

It freakin sucks, and when there is a RP fan that pops up, they wont vote for him because they say its a waste or that he is out of the race. Any arguments i toss out are like talking to a brick wall.

SimpleName
04-16-2008, 02:09 PM
I do find it quite difficult to deal with these people. I rarely find myself in confrontation with the matter, but listening to them talk is embarrassing. I want to rip their heads off. They refuse to realize how ridiculous their lack of pride is. They believe in nothing and have no shame in voting for these ignorant candidates who don't give a damn about them. Tough to stay motivated with a general public like we have now. Obama love in the greater reaches of nepa as well. The local meetup group does not compare to what looked like at least 2 or 3 dozen Obama sign wavers in the local newspaper. Obama rhetoric is quite popular.

123tim
04-16-2008, 05:06 PM
just give them the sample ballot for the RP delegates in their district and just ask them to vote for the conservative GOP delegates to get the party back on track.

http://www.ronpaulpa.com/congressional_districts.php

Only the delegates matter!!!

We don't seem to have a sample ballot for our district.

The other problem is that I think that the sample ballots that I've seen might actually lose votes in my area. You would have to live here to understand, but (in my opinion) there will be a lot of people who actually would vote against the delegates just because of the way that it's worded. I'm actually one of the delegates and I'll get a lot of votes just because of name recognition. I might lose a lot with the sample ballot.

The sample ballots will probably work out well in larger populations where people aren't so tightly knit.

sophocles07
04-16-2008, 05:09 PM
My god these people who care whether McCain, Clinton, or Obama wins...they are being very, annoyingly simplistic.

torchbearer
04-16-2008, 06:14 PM
My god these people who care whether McCain, Clinton, or Obama wins...they are being very, annoyingly simplistic.

QFMFT!!!!