PDA

View Full Version : Can delegates just refuse to vote?

Zera
04-14-2008, 05:25 PM
I was thinking. Imagine that you are at the national convention as a delegate. All your other delegates from your state are also Paul supporters. You were not able to get McCain's delegates from your state unbound, but you made it as national delegates. Now it's time to vote for the nominee... But you refuse to, and the other delegates from your state refuse, as well. The delegates that McCain had were never unbound at your state convention, but he still doesn't get them. You do this until the ballot where you automatically become unbound comes, where you vote for Paul.

Can we do this? I'd imagine this would be a VERY good strategy if: You and your friends who are Paul supporters see that it is obvious that you won't get McCain's delegates unbound from your state, so you decide to present yourselves well, and not as Paul supporters, and become national delegates.

And then, the night or two nights before the national convention, you guys meet up in someone hotel room, and discuss secretly the operation. Sounds good?

A Ron Paul Rebel
04-14-2008, 05:36 PM
I like it and would like to know the answer as well.

Also, is it possible to encourage Huckabee delegates,
romney delegates, etc... to vote for Huckabee, Romney, etc...?
(After all attempts to convert them to RP have failed of course.)

The idea being to take votes from McCain in unbound states!
Or is it that if Huckabee gets a vote, it goes to McSwine?

runningdiz
04-14-2008, 05:43 PM
It has happened before during the election years of the civil war. It is one reason Lincoln one in 1860 because during the democratic convention southern democrats stormed out because the Northern Democrats would struck down part of the platform which would of protected the institution of slavery. What ended up happening was the Democrats split the ticket. Southern Dems had a candidate and Northern ones had theirs.

It sounds like a good idea though but would alternates replace the ones who chose not to vote? IDK but it has happened several times in the past.

Zera
04-14-2008, 05:45 PM
It sounds like a good idea though but would alternates replace the ones who chose not to vote? IDK but it has happened several times in the past.

Good question, I'd like to know this as well. However, aren't alternatives really only elected to show up in case one of the original ones doesn't show up at all? I mean, if you're there, I don't think they can just move you to the side and replace you until you decide to start voting.

nate895
04-14-2008, 05:45 PM
It has happened before during the election years of the civil war. It is one reason Lincoln one in 1860 because during the democratic convention southern democrats stormed out because the Northern Democrats would struck down part of the platform which would of protected the institution of slavery. What ended up happening was the Democrats split the ticket. Southern Dems had a candidate and Northern ones had theirs.

Get the alternates and you have nothing to worry about.

nate895
04-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Good question, I'd like to know this as well. However, aren't alternatives really only elected to show up in case one of the original ones doesn't show up at all? I mean, if you're there, I don't think they can just move you to the side and replace you until you decide to start voting.

There are some states that if a delegate refuses to vote with his pledge, an alternate replaces him.

Zera
04-14-2008, 05:50 PM
There are some states that if a delegate refuses to vote with his pledge, an alternate replaces him.

onoes! Well, there usually isn't the same amount of alternates as normal delegates, right? ANY less delegates for McCain would be great. And, as you said, getting the alternates as well would fix this.

nate895
04-14-2008, 05:51 PM
onoes! Well, there usually isn't the same amount of alternates as normal delegates, right? ANY less delegates for McCain would be great. And, as you said, getting the alternates as well would fix this.

There is the same, excluding party officials. However, get the alternates and there is no problem.

runningdiz
04-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the info Nate! Another thing to consider is the point of gathering these delegates is to have a say in the platform. If they don't participate in the nominating process can they participate in the platform process?

nate895
04-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the info Nate! Another thing to consider is the point of gathering these delegates is to have a say in the platform. If they don't participate in the nominating process can they participate in the platform process?

Yes, the delegates from each state have meeting to decide their votes for President before the roll call, and if you vote against your pledge, you're basically forced out of the room to have an alternate replace you.

squandertime
04-14-2008, 05:56 PM
you have to be there on the floor for roll call- and then there is no law that will put you in jail for being in the bathroom while the ballot is taking place. if you are absent - then you are absent (and your alternate).. then they have the second ballot..... which everyone being successful the first go around will be even more successful the second time around....... and so on

it is best to leave the floor after roll call.
but be back for the roll call of the next ballot, ect.....

states have different rules on how many ballots have to pass before delegates are unbounded - read your state rules!!

read the national rules!!

TruthAtLast
04-14-2008, 05:57 PM
haven't we secured quite a few alternate positions?

so the strategy here isn't that it is a vote for Dr. Paul but rather a non-vote for McCain, which is indirectly a vote for Paul because it increases his percentage of the total votes cast.

If each state doesn't do a block vote submission (based on the delegate distribution) and each individual person is allowed to cast each vote, then the strategy could work. But it would have to organized on a massive scale.

I still worry about the fact that the GOP wants all delegates to stay in the same hotel. I think something is going to go down and there will be some "tactics" used to secure that everything runs smoothly. Whether it is a threat or a signed affidavit saying that the state's delegates can be block submitted and you forfeit your right to vote individually. Who knows what will happen but that whole situation is very suspicious to me.

squandertime
04-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Yes, the delegates from each state have meeting to decide their votes for President before the roll call, and if you vote against your pledge, you're basically forced out of the room to have an alternate replace you.

which is why we lie....

i dont want to be invited back to a national convention again anyways- i am going the whole distance for ron paul to become the nominee-

ps- all threads like this should be eradicated dont you think ........

nate895
04-14-2008, 05:59 PM
haven't we secured quite a few alternate positions?

so the strategy here isn't that it is a vote for Dr. Paul but rather a non-vote for McCain, which is indirectly a vote for Paul because it increases his percentage of the total votes cast.

If each state doesn't do a block vote submission (based on the delegate distribution) and each individual person is allowed to cast each vote, then the strategy could work. But it would have to organized on a massive scale.

I still worry about the fact that the GOP wants all delegates to stay in the same hotel. I think something is going to go down and there will be some "tactics" used to secure that everything runs smoothly. Whether it is a threat or a signed affidavit saying that the state's delegates can be block submitted and you forfeit your right to vote individually. Who knows what will happen but that whole situation is very suspicious to me.

They do a block vote call out, but you are able to challenge it, and then they read the roll call. Make sure your challenge is heard loud and clear.

squandertime
04-14-2008, 06:00 PM
I still worry about the fact that the GOP wants all delegates to stay in the same hotel.

too cool- how easy is that to sway the delgates to our side!!!!
like shooting ducks in a barrel!!!!

TruthAtLast
04-14-2008, 06:01 PM
I still worry about the fact that the GOP wants all delegates to stay in the same hotel.

too cool- how easy is that to sway the delgates to our side!!!!
like shooting ducks in a barrel!!!!

haha, well i guess it can go both ways. :D

Bradley in DC
04-14-2008, 06:38 PM

which is why we lie....

i dont want to be invited back to a national convention again anyways- i am going the whole distance for ron paul to become the nominee-

ps- all threads like this should be eradicated dont you think ........

Your state chairman will announce the results of your state. They can pass in the order. I'd rethink your plan...