PDA

View Full Version : From CNN.com (4/14): DNC Sues to Block McCain Spending

Leroy_Jenkems
04-14-2008, 02:08 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/14/dnc.mccain/

Unless you've been out of the loop for weeks, you know that McCain has violated the very Act/Law that he and Russ Feingold co-authored, which limits the expenditures of those presidential candidates who opt for FEC matching campaign funds to $54 mil. Now the DNC is suing the FEC to investigate this issue.

The plot thickens.

ItsTime
04-14-2008, 02:50 PM
He also got ballot access when he was approved for federal matching funds.

LittleLightShining
04-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Well, it's about time.

123tim
04-14-2008, 03:29 PM
So if you accept federal matching funds you're automatically on the ballot?

Sandra
04-14-2008, 03:35 PM
This effectively shuts McCain's campaign down pronto!

slacker921
04-14-2008, 03:38 PM
nope.. it's another PR stunt to rally the GOP regulars behind McCain who is under attack from those evil Democrats again. It won't stick and he'll get a bunch more in donations.

Kotin
04-14-2008, 03:41 PM
nope.. it's another PR stunt to rally the GOP regulars behind McCain who is under attack from those evil Democrats again. It won't stick and he'll get a bunch more in donations.

yup..

do you really think the "top" democrats want justice??:eek:

LOL

satchelmcqueen
04-14-2008, 03:41 PM
lets see where this leads. im still angry that Pauls name is almost nowhere to be found though in all of this. MSM sucks!

Sandra
04-14-2008, 03:42 PM
He's already had to return 3 million in donations. The cap is 60 million.

Edit: OOps! I meant 54 million.

newyearsrevolution08
04-14-2008, 03:42 PM
I hope it can shut it down. You know the one good thing about having clinton AND obama trying to tank mccain is that maybe it can happen hard enough to where people start backing Ron Paul instead of mccain delegate wise simply due to mccain really losing all of his "hold" or lack there of , of the republican party.

I will say this, if mccain is what the republican party is going to be for the next 4 years then that is NOT me. I hope he goes to jail for his illegal bull that he will continue doing.

That songbird needs to be put out of his misery with his campaign and soon. I just hope ron paul is there to pick up the pieces of the republican party and we will happily help him "clean up" the seats in congress, senate and so on.

Fight locally
Fight statewide
Fight nationwide

they can't stop us all!

Sandra
04-14-2008, 03:46 PM
That's what I was thinking . Delegates will stop backing someone who can no longer campaign.

Sandra
04-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I find that McCain backers are not strong supporters. If there is a whiff of embarrassment that McCain could cause, they'll jump ship for a less controversial candidate. yes, even Ron Paul.

FEC violations
Temper
Incorrect statements to the media on Iraq
Lack of economic understanding

He is just entering the beginning stages for character meltdown. There's five months to go.

angelatc
04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
He will never been convicted of the FEC violations. The current panel doesn't have a quorum, and Bush is in no big hurry to replace them. If McCain wins the general election, then he will appoint FEC members who will support him. If McCain loses, Bush will appoint some GOP members on the way out.

Sandra
04-14-2008, 04:21 PM
He will never been convicted of the FEC violations. The current panel doesn't have a quorum, and Bush is in no big hurry to replace them. If McCain wins the general election, then he will appoint FEC members who will support him. If McCain loses, Bush will appoint some GOP members on the way out.

Then in that case, according to the article , the DNC will sue the McCain campaign directly and a judge will decide. Suits concerning elections are rushed.

angelatc
04-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Then in that case, according to the article , the DNC will sue the McCain campaign directly and a judge will decide. Suits concerning elections are rushed.

The campaign will be disbanded after the election though. If the Party was acting up, that would make sense.

This is a "goes nowhere, does nothing" situation.

ItsTime
04-14-2008, 04:35 PM
In many states that is the case.

ItsTime
04-14-2008, 04:39 PM
QFT

Fight locally
Fight statewide
Fight nationwide

they can't stop us all!

Bruno
04-14-2008, 04:50 PM
lets see where this leads. im still angry that Pauls name is almost nowhere to be found though in all of this. MSM sucks!

Good point.

If there was any shred of objectivity in the election coverage, then they would be asking the questions of the pundits,

Wolf Blitzer:

"What does this mean for Ron Paul, who is still running, despite McCain supposedly having this tied up?
"Does that mean that Paul would then be able to have the McCain delegates vote for him, since they would no longer be bound?"
"What about Romney? Did he suspend his campaign officially or end it?"

...."Let's ask our panel of idiots."

"He committed to it," McCain told reporters on Friday. "So in direct contradiction to his rhetoric, he's now saying well he may not do it. So facts are facts. Facts are stubborn things."

- Let's all hope these words come back to bite him in his hypocritical Straight-Talk Ass. :cool:

smartguy911
04-14-2008, 04:51 PM
yessssss

digg it guys - http://anonym.to/http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/DNC_sues_to_block_McCain_spending

Leroy_Jenkems
04-14-2008, 08:17 PM
yup..

do you really think the "top" democrats want justice??:eek:

LOL

Hate to say it, but I agree. Howard Dean is reportedly spearheading this effort...I don't know the exact strategy behind this move, with so many months to go before the general election, but they're only in it to make it work in the Democrat Party's favor. But hey, let's hope for some Ron Paul "blowback" ;)

NEPA_Revolution
04-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Yay! That saves us alot of effort. I hope this cripples McWamnesty.

heartless
04-14-2008, 08:49 PM
But hey, let's hope for some Ron Paul "blowback" ;)

QFT

walter
04-14-2008, 09:17 PM
These "laws" have no teeth and even if he is found to be in violation, he will only get a small fine and slap on the wrists AFTER the Nov. election. Which is crazy! Our best bet is to try to keep this in the news and have him lose this case in the eyes of the public. There will be no real justice in court, McCain is an elite above his own law as far as the media nd courts are concerned. The biggest hit is if he now trys to stay under this cap voluntarily, that would mean he will basically have no campaign and no advertisments against the Dems from here on out! Which will put him at a HUGE disadvantage!

Leroy_Jenkems
04-14-2008, 10:32 PM
These "laws" have no teeth and even if he is found to be in violation, he will only get a small fine and slap on the wrists AFTER the Nov. election. Which is crazy! Our best bet is to try to keep this in the news and have him lose this case in the eyes of the public. There will be no real justice in court, McCain is an elite above his own law as far as the media nd courts are concerned. The biggest hit is if he now trys to stay under this cap voluntarily, that would mean he will basically have no campaign and no advertisments against the Dems from here on out! Which will put him at a HUGE disadvantage!

YES. He gave some real "straight talk" when he criticized Obama about trying to have it both ways with FEC funds:

http://2008central.net/2008/04/12/mccain-urges-obama-to-keep-his-word-on-public-finances/

Hit up the radio talk shows. Blog, flyer, newspaper editorials, anything.

HOLLYWOOD
04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
This effectively shuts McCain's campaign down pronto!

It won't... it will be the usual political investigation that takes months, maybe years to complete. By then, the damage has been done, even if the findings are validated that McCain violated. If he's in the White House, he'll just pay a fine...

This is the NEW AMERICAN BIG GOVERNMENT!

Knightskye
04-16-2008, 12:31 AM

In every state. That could've cost him millions of dollars, and lots of time. But it didn't cost him a thing. And he used the matching funds he was going to get as collateral for a loan back in December. So taking the funds gave him an advantage.

The FEC can't rule without a quorum.
They can't have a quorum until they fill four vacant positions.
They can't fill those because there's a hold on the nominations in the Senate.
Barack Obama and Russ Feingold placed the hold.
Barack Obama is running for the Democratic nomination.
Russ Feingold is the Democratic senator who McCain worked with to set up the current campaign finance mess (McCain-Feingold).

Interesting mess. Is Obama trying to keep McCain as the nominee, as opposed to having him arrested, and actually having a challenge (Paul) for the General Election?

Midnight77
04-16-2008, 10:56 AM
If something would happen to McCain, which is doubtful, Mitt Romney who only temporarily suspended his campaign ... would step in. RP is sadly not in the Presidency equation this go 'round.

hillertexas
04-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Hate to say it, but I agree. Howard Dean is reportedly spearheading this effort...I don't know the exact strategy behind this move, with so many months to go before the general election, but they're only in it to make it work in the Democrat Party's favor. But hey, let's hope for some Ron Paul "blowback" ;)

I would think the Dems want McCain to win the Repub nomination because he makes for an easy kill in the general election.

Midnight77
04-16-2008, 11:05 AM
I would think the Dems want McCain to win the Repub nomination because he makes for an easy kill in the general election.

Compared to someone like Mike Huckabee or Mitt Romney, they would be easier kills than McCain.

hillertexas
04-16-2008, 11:07 AM
The biggest hit is if he now trys to stay under this cap voluntarily, that would mean he will basically have no campaign and no advertisments against the Dems from here on out! Which will put him at a HUGE disadvantage!

And if he stays under the cap voluntarily, that seems like an indication that he knows he is "bound" by the FEC rules, and thus the contract with the FEC is valid. I find that funny since his defense has been that "he never took the money so he is not bound by the rules".

McCain committed a crime either way the FEC slices it:

FEC lets McCain out of contract:
CRIME=taking out a loan with capital one did not own

FEC makes McCain stick to the original deal:
CRIME=violation of spending cap

HOLLYWOOD
04-16-2008, 11:10 AM
If something would happen to McCain, which is doubtful, Mitt Romney who only temporarily suspended his campaign ... would step in. RP is sadly not in the Presidency equation this go 'round.

Incredible out of 300 million people in this country the 3 little pigs left control the reigns.

then if McLiberman/McFiengold/McInsane gets the boot, then a sleazy quiter, who's Big Government Health Care Cess Pool of Massachusetts get the GOP backing?

Don't you just love the 2 PARTY DICTATORSHIP of this so-called Democracy in America.

It's So UGLY!

Sandra
04-16-2008, 11:13 AM
The DNC is taking the McCain campaign to COURT. In the event there is no quorum then a judge decides, not a committee.

acptulsa
04-16-2008, 11:13 AM

Republicans hate a quitter. Witness Ross Perot. The neocon RINOs in charge might like such a scenario as you proffer, but that does not mean it will automatically play in Peoria. Especially with the economy tanking.

This is sheeple thinking. Americans will only allow themselves to be herded to a point. See my sig.

Midnight77
04-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Republicans hate a quitter. Witness Ross Perot. The neocon RINOs in charge might like such a scenario as you proffer, but that does not mean it will automatically play in Peoria. Especially with the economy tanking.

This is sheeple thinking. Americans will only allow themselves to be herded to a point. See my sig.

The problem is that even though you and I know Paul is the best candidate for the economy, the sheeple view Romney as best suited to fix the economy, due to his experience.

angelatc
04-16-2008, 11:31 AM
The DNC is taking the McCain campaign to COURT. In the event there is no quorum then a judge decides, not a committee.

I am hardly a lawyer, but it wouldn't surprise me to find that the court rules that the DNC has no standing to sue.