PDA

View Full Version : I'm a State Delegate and Don't Want to Attend the Convention

Laja
04-14-2008, 09:16 AM
I'd like to get some honest opinions here. As a precinct delegate to the county convention, I spent a very long and annoying day in the midst of a well-organized old-guard republican "party" which steadfastly and continuously fought against any amendments the Ron Paul contingent attempted to get through. It was a terrible experience witnessing heartless republicans enthusiastically vote against allowing delegate representation from the smaller precincts.

Now I'm a delegate to the State Convention. It's three days in June and I can't stand the thought of spending another moment with these old-guard inhuman beasts. I don't hear anything about our beloved Ron Paul anymore and I don't think there's anything I can do to help him win by going to this State Convention.

Is there any reason that you can think of (or more than one reason) why I should attend? The hotel is costly, it's a trip to Houston, it's three days in some horrible ballroom or convention center probably forced to eat poisonous Monsanto GM food, it's spending time with neocon-loving lap dogs and listening to pandering neocon politicians spreading their sickening lies to their adoring masses.

H-E-L-P!!!

Jeremy
04-14-2008, 09:22 AM
What if our founding fathers decided that they didn't want to talk about breaking away from Britain because there were too many loyalists around them? So then they thought "well I could be enjoying a nice cup of taxed tea on my porch... who needs to get involved with these silly political issues... who cares if we have a king or not?"

A Ron Paul Rebel
Texas?
Yes, go... please!

We DO have numbers in Texas so don't let your
country convention turn you off from state. They
are hoping to discourage us... Let's turn the tables
and many of THEM won't show to state or national.

TruePatriot44
Go and talk politics with people. Try to get some neo-cons to see the fallacy of their positions. We can't save this nation by sitting at home.

hopeforamerica
04-14-2008, 09:32 AM
You know, Ron Paul has been in this snake pit for over 20 years. You can do it for 3 little days! I would pay money to be a state delegate. My district didn't get any Ron Paul delegates. You will have friends in TX, no doubt.

pinkmandy
04-14-2008, 09:35 AM
GO!

You will not be alone at the RNC. Look at all the national delegates we're getting! Enough so you won't be by yourself among the warmongers. You will be party to revolution in action, a moment of history in our cause...it will be amazing. Whatever happens, I know our people will cause a stir and are prepared to fight for their cause. Even in the likely event we don't get the nomination we will be heard and numbers are SO important.

ronpaulhawaii
04-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Not one thing I have done for the r3VOLution has been on my list of things I want to do in this life. I have sweat my @$$ off and frozen my *%#s off.

I, also, have attended boring meetings full of neo-cons. Even being a mod here is a PITA...

I do these things because I can, and somebody has to.

"Let it not be said, we did nothing" - RP

Many of us have put a LOT of work into getting people into the conventions because it is the most direct way to change the direction of this country. I understand it can be a PITA but...

Another thing to consider is that there will be a block of RP supporters, (who are getting up to speed on RRoO/etc), there, so it could get interesting. We will need your vote...

You will learn more about political processes which will help you to be more effective locally...

etc/etc...

amonasro
04-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Don't let money be an issue. If it is, we can probably help you out.

There will be many RP supporters like yourself. Just stick with them and you might have a better time than you expected. Remember that your vote might be the one that sways 2/3 of the majority!

Drsteveparent
04-14-2008, 09:42 AM
I'd like to get some honest opinions here. As a precinct delegate to the county convention, I spent a very long and annoying day in the midst of a well-organized old-guard republican "party" which steadfastly and continuously fought against any amendments the Ron Paul contingent attempted to get through. It was a terrible experience witnessing heartless republicans enthusiastically vote against allowing delegate representation from the smaller precincts.

Now I'm a delegate to the State Convention. It's three days in June and I can't stand the thought of spending another moment with these old-guard inhuman beasts. I don't hear anything about our beloved Ron Paul anymore and I don't think there's anything I can do to help him win by going to this State Convention.

Is there any reason that you can think of (or more than one reason) why I should attend? The hotel is costly, it's a trip to Houston, it's three days in some horrible ballroom or convention center probably forced to eat poisonous Monsanto GM food, it's spending time with neocon-loving lap dogs and listening to pandering neocon politicians spreading their sickening lies to their adoring masses.

H-E-L-P!!!

Please rethink your position for a minute.

I am going to try not to offend you but i need to make this clear.

The reason America has failed is because we have failed as American people for our failure was to continue to protect and fight for the FREEDOM and LIBERTY our founders fought and died to give to us.

Freedom is not free for it takes dedication to continue to protect it from people that may want to take our freedom away and it is our obligation as Americans to work and fight to protect what is so valuable to us all.

With that said : If you allow the people that are the ones that have run this corrupt system to win because you do not want to be around them for 3 days then that is exactly what will happen THEY WILL WIN and they would have done their job well which is to keep people that challange their ideas out of the party.

I will not quit and i will continue to fight to educate every American on how to take back America which has been stolen from us. Have you seen what some here have said about me? Did it stop me? NO and it will not for the more they attack the closer we are to winning and forcing the corrupt out and bringing the positive in for when you have to start making these people work and think for themselves and show them you are not going away so they better show up for every vote and be dedicated then that in itself is a victory.

I am going to urge you to stay and fight and become a national delegate for this convention could be won by 1 vote and that vote could be you so think about that before you decide to quit.

I hope i did not offend you for that was not my purpose and i thank you for helping us fight to make America the country we all love.

Dr. Steve Parent

hillertexas
04-14-2008, 09:56 AM
I figure...if all this revolution and Ron Paul are asking of me is to be bored and annoyed for 3 days, that is not too much to ask. I felt the same way at the Senatorial Convention. But I am really glad I went. It was really neat seeing all of our covert agents mingling with the neo-cons. We had a meeting the night before so we knew who everyone was. If nothing else, you will have to put up with hearing a lot of bullshit BUT you will also be around like minded people. They will just be incognito. And it's 3 days this time so we should plan some nighttime festivities for the RP people....on the down low of course. I think it will be a very cool experience...no matter what.

I will be there in June.

And don't forget that from here on out, we will be bombarded with mindfuck after mindfuck. Don't let them win by feeling discouraged. Keep focused.

Laja
04-14-2008, 10:42 AM
i really appreciate you guys. thanks so much for your supportive words. my hubby was a senatorial delegate so we went together, but then our precinct was pared down to 2 delegates (from 22) for the state convention. and he didn't make it to the next level as i did.

i like the idea of the ron paul camaraderie at the convention. if we can be there to support one another and perhaps even participate in some night time celebrations together, i think i'd feel a little better about putting up with those evil forces around me for three days.

thanks!

hopeforamerica
04-14-2008, 10:51 AM
i really appreciate you guys. thanks so much for your supportive words. my hubby was a senatorial delegate so we went together, but then our precinct was pared down to 2 delegates (from 22) for the state convention. and he didn't make it to the next level as i did.

i like the idea of the ron paul camaraderie at the convention. if we can be there to support one another and perhaps even participate in some night time celebrations together, i think i'd feel a little better about putting up with those evil forces around me for three days.

thanks!

:D

pinkmandy
04-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Yay Laja!!! I hope you have a blast!!!!!!!!! I think the national will be much more fun than the state- have you noticed we've at the very least alarmed the GOP. Be sure to tape everything you can for your kids and grandkids! 10 years from now you will be able to say "I was there when the tide started turning." :)

rockandrollsouls
04-14-2008, 11:26 AM
uhm, you're going to restore freedom, not to have a good time. I'm not sure if I want you to represent me...seems like you've lost sight of the vision.

pinkmandy
04-14-2008, 11:29 AM
uhm, you're going to restore freedom, not to have a good time. I'm not sure if I want you to represent me...seems like you've lost sight of the vision.

Dr. Paul said to have fun. ;) If watching neocons squirm isn't fun then I don't know what is. You can accomplish your goals while enjoying yourself, kind of like being able to walk and chew gum...

hillertexas
04-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Dr. Paul said to have fun. ;) If watching neocons squirm isn't fun then I don't know what is. You can accomplish your goals while enjoying yourself, kind of like being able to walk and chew gum...

+1

soapmistress
04-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Remember: You are Ron Paul! And there are others like you!

ClockwiseSpark
04-14-2008, 11:39 AM
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato"

LEK
04-14-2008, 11:47 AM

thanks!

It'll be one of those times in your life that you'll always remember and refer back to as significant.

(BORROWED FROM TWO TOWERS :D)

[following the neocons to St. Paul]

Laja: I wonder if we'll ever be put into songs or tales.

Drsteveparent: What?

Laja: I wonder if people will ever say, 'Let's hear about Drsteveparent and the 2008 GOP Convention.' And they'll say 'Yes, that's one of my favorite stories. Drsteveparent was really courageous, wasn't he, Dad?' 'Yes, my boy, the most famousest of delegates. And that's saying a lot.'

Drsteveparent: You've left out one of the chief characters - Laja-the-Brave. I want to hear more about Laja.

Drsteveparent: Drsteveparent wouldn't have got far without Laja.

Laja: Now Drsteveparent, you shouldn't make fun; I was being serious.

Drsteveparent: So was I.

Laja: "Laja-the-Brave..."

Laja
04-14-2008, 11:56 AM
It'll be one of those times in your life that you'll always remember and refer back to as significant.

(BORROWED FROM TWO TOWERS :D)

[following the neocons to St. Paul]

Laja: I wonder if we'll ever be put into songs or tales.

Drsteveparent: What?

Laja: I wonder if people will ever say, 'Let's hear about Drsteveparent and the 2008 GOP Convention.' And they'll say 'Yes, that's one of my favorite stories. Drsteveparent was really courageous, wasn't he, Dad?' 'Yes, my boy, the most famousest of delegates. And that's saying a lot.'

Drsteveparent: You've left out one of the chief characters - Laja-the-Brave. I want to hear more about Laja.

Drsteveparent: Drsteveparent wouldn't have got far without Laja.

Laja: Now Drsteveparent, you shouldn't make fun; I was being serious.

Drsteveparent: So was I.

Laja: "Laja-the-Brave..."

Wow, I've got tears in my eyes. How beautiful. Thank you so much for caring enough to create this story. How could I NOT go now?!? Not for any kind of notoriety, but to represent great folks like yourself. Thanks for picking me up from the doldrums and reminding me why I've so totally involved myself in this Ron Paul Revolution. God bless you guys!

josephadel_3
04-14-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm not looking forward to mine either. The Maine GOP convention is only 2 days, but still . . . Lots of McCain bots, not fun to be around them. My town has the majority of delegates supporting Ron Paul, and the rest are McCain. Does anybody know if at state conventions, you are arranged according to city, county, or other? Or is it more every person for his or herself? Obviously, I would rather be near my town's delegates . . .

mdh
04-14-2008, 12:24 PM
One thing to remember is that these people aren't *evil*, they just disagree with us about some things. Instead of approach them as evil, approach them as potential new friends, and be cordial towards them. When the time is appropriate, start talking politics. Listen to what they have to say, and make sure they list to what you have to say as well. Even if you don't make an impact right away, as our economy crumbles, they may think back to what you said and go "oh crap, that person was RIGHT!"
:)

mdh
04-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm not looking forward to mine either. The Maine GOP convention is only 2 days, but still . . . Lots of McCain bots, not fun to be around them. My town has the majority of delegates supporting Ron Paul, and the rest are McCain. Does anybody know if at state conventions, you are arranged according to city, county, or other? Or is it more every person for his or herself? Obviously, I would rather be near my town's delegates . . .

The seating arrangements vary by state. A safe general rule is that you'll be organized by how you got there (congressional district some places, county in others like WV, or state senatorial like TX). Could be different for you, too, though. Maybe call up your local or state GOP affiliate and ask.

pinkmandy
04-14-2008, 12:27 PM
One thing to remember is that these people aren't *evil*, they just disagree with us about some things. Instead of approach them as evil, approach them as potential new friends, and be cordial towards them. When the time is appropriate, start talking politics. Listen to what they have to say, and make sure they list to what you have to say as well. Even if you don't make an impact right away, as our economy crumbles, they may think back to what you said and go "oh crap, that person was RIGHT!"
:)

+ 1

TruthAtLast
04-14-2008, 12:52 PM
i agree with many other posters that you need to go. it is hard enough to get anyone to the state convention so there is no way we should throw away any seats we get.

It isn't just about this election. You are going to be around all of the influential people in your state. You can meet people, gain friendships and relationships and probably find quite a few people that don't like McCain but just don't want to rock the boat, or people that might have really agreed with SOME things that Ron Paul was saying but maybe thought some of his other views were too extreme (I have found that this is often the case).

If I were you, I'd be shaking hands with everyone I could. Meet EVERYONE. Make sure they know your name and face. This is how you set the stage for progress in the future.

Not every non-ronpaul supporter is a horrible and heartless person. I have some very good friends that aren't Ron Paul supporters. I'm slowly converting them on the IDEAS of sound money, civil liberties, etc. 99% of the time, these people just haven't read the things we've read, seen the videos we've seen, or understood the topics we've researched. These people are asleep to the real issues and hate to believe that the Main Stream Media and the Government is really THAT corrupt. But it takes time to convert these people. If you are well informed on a single topic, then you can slowly begin to convert their thinking on each issue without being overly pushy. Let them feel that sense of discovery of truth on their own, rather than forcing it down their throat.

We need to be firm in our convictions. It has to be so important to you that even in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds, there is nothing that can deter you from your core beliefs. And if you believe that those ideals are worth fighting for, then fight you MUST. You may not have the numbers yet but this country was taken over by a minority not a majority. Everyone else are just acting the part. They are just being good little Republicans and agreeing with the party line.

raystone
04-14-2008, 01:31 PM
OP, please see the 2nd half of my signature....

weslinder
04-14-2008, 01:38 PM
I can't help you with much of it, but if you'll call the Quality Inn at 10155 I-10 East (713.675.2711) and say that you want rooms reserved under the name Robert Abraham, you can get them for $61/night. That's much cheaper than the Convention hotels, and a very short drive from the George R. Brown. Robert Abraham is a big and generous Paulite from San Antonio.

AJ Antimony
04-14-2008, 02:08 PM
I didn't get elected to my state convention. That's why you shouldn't and better not quit.

Akus
04-14-2008, 02:17 PM

H-E-L-P!!!
You should go and fight to the absolute end.

I am a state delegate, too. I am going. I expect Ron Paul force down there to be reckoned with, however, if not, I now know the insides of the GOP and will have grown as a person from the experience. I hope you have organized grassroots where you are in Texas, and I hope that they are trying to hit the State Convention with the full might of Ron Paul army of Liberty lovers.

If you have any contact with either Ron Paul or someone close to him, I suggest you contact whichever and tell him/her that Ron Paul absolutely must attend and make a speech at the Convention. He needs to sound Presidential and if it all works out, we can win this thing.

I personally don't want to reason with zombies who have long since closed their eyes and are consciously oblivious of the situation the country is in. Trying to tell them that Ron Paul is not an isolationist and is not a bin Laden simpathiser is extremely psychologically taxing. I'm still going though as we need as much fresh blood there as possible.

You do the same.;)

TXcarlosTX
04-14-2008, 05:55 PM
yo just go for the party!!! hit me up, ill show you how san antonio meetup has fun vato!!!

Soccrmastr
04-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Damn quitters. We dont need people like this in the revolution, who cant stand boring reform politics before the presidential election is even over. just get out, dont go to the convention. loser.

Zera
04-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Laja, I have a tip for hotel costs. Find someone to room with! You guys can then split the costs. Some other delegates I've talked to are doing the same thing.

And, note that Texas is going to be a great state. Trust me, you won't be alone with the neocons... You'll have plenty of friends around.

hopeforamerica
04-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Damn quitters. We dont need people like this in the revolution, who cant stand boring reform politics before the presidential election is even over. just get out, dont go to the convention. loser.

Nice....if you would have read, she has been encouraged and will be going. She was encouraged by positive posts, not any name calling.

d03boy
04-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Please go... for me?