PDA

View Full Version : CZ 82 question

chudrockz
04-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Good morning all.

I am contemplating purchasing a CZ 82. They have slightly used police issues on www.aimsurplus.com for (I think) $189.95.

Are they good guns? Is that a good price?

For the record, I'm also considering (on the same website) buying (under new arrivals, rifles) the first one, the Romanian AK something-or-other, for $349.95 I think.

My wife says I can make one more purchase (I recently bought a shotgun, a Winchester Defender) and then I have to be DONE buying guns at least until we get a good safe for them. Haha.

Opinions? Thanks!

chudrockz
04-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Ah. It's the AK1413n, if that helps anyone's cause! Thanks!

Kalifornia
04-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Good morning all.

I am contemplating purchasing a CZ 82. They have slightly used police issues on www.aimsurplus.com for (I think) $189.95.

Are they good guns? Is that a good price?

For the record, I'm also considering (on the same website) buying (under new arrivals, rifles) the first one, the Romanian AK something-or-other, for $349.95 I think.

My wife says I can make one more purchase (I recently bought a shotgun, a Winchester Defender) and then I have to be DONE buying guns at least until we get a good safe for them. Haha.

Opinions? Thanks!

I havent heard anything bad about the CZ, although I have to ask, if you can spend up to 350 for an AK, why not spend that much for a pistol in a more available caliber? The various 9x?? Eastern Euro rounds may be available and cheap now, but they may not always be. 9mm luger ammunition is NATO a dn police force standardized and you will always likely be able to get it.

I see aimsurplus has 9mm Sigs for sale, or for 350, you can probably get into a Glock or maybe an XD for a little more. Overall, I think that getting a weapon with better ammo and parts availability is a good idea, particularly if this is your *last* gun for a while, or maybe ever.

Finally, If I could only have two guns, they would be, without question, a shotty (which you have) and a pistol (although I prefer .45 since I have a limit on my mag size). A good pistol is far more likely to come into play in a real world scenario. It is concealable if you need it to be, and depending on where you live, you may be able to get a permit to carry it. The shotgun is a great weapon for the skin blistering 20 yard or less home defense scenario you might actually use one for, and can be good for up to 100 yards with practice, and using the right loads (slugs). 99% of all people will never need to use their guns, of the 1% of people that do, 99% of them will be well served with weapons that are accurate to 50m or less.

An AK is fine if you intend to build a survivalist or hunter type collection, but then again, if you intend to do that, you wouldnt have a 2 gun limit, even if its just until you can buy a safe. :)

weslinder
04-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Unless you reload, or are willing to order all of your ammunition from mail, avoid the 9X18. Stick with more common calibers.

madengr
04-14-2008, 09:19 AM
We could well see a new AWB in the next year so an AK would be a good choice. Remember to get plenty of magazine, at least 20.

chudrockz
04-14-2008, 10:39 AM
I havent heard anything bad about the CZ, although I have to ask, if you can spend up to 350 for an AK, why not spend that much for a pistol in a more available caliber? The various 9x?? Eastern Euro rounds may be available and cheap now, but they may not always be. 9mm luger ammunition is NATO a dn police force standardized and you will always likely be able to get it.

I see aimsurplus has 9mm Sigs for sale, or for 350, you can probably get into a Glock or maybe an XD for a little more. Overall, I think that getting a weapon with better ammo and parts availability is a good idea, particularly if this is your *last* gun for a while, or maybe ever.

Finally, If I could only have two guns, they would be, without question, a shotty (which you have) and a pistol (although I prefer .45 since I have a limit on my mag size). A good pistol is far more likely to come into play in a real world scenario. It is concealable if you need it to be, and depending on where you live, you may be able to get a permit to carry it. The shotgun is a great weapon for the skin blistering 20 yard or less home defense scenario you might actually use one for, and can be good for up to 100 yards with practice, and using the right loads (slugs). 99% of all people will never need to use their guns, of the 1% of people that do, 99% of them will be well served with weapons that are accurate to 50m or less.

An AK is fine if you intend to build a survivalist or hunter type collection, but then again, if you intend to do that, you wouldnt have a 2 gun limit, even if its just until you can buy a safe. :)

Thanks!

I was just looking at the CZ because of the price / reputation. And I want an AK because I don't yet own any rifle at all. (SHTF-type gun.)

I DO already own a Glock. The model 30, in .45 and I love it.

In fact I was at the range Saturday morning and burned through 200 rounds shooting paper targets. Fun stuff!

Acala
04-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Like every czech gun I have ever seen the cz 82 is very well-made and it has nice static ergonomics. It is lightweight which is nice for carry purposes, but as a result it has a bit of muzzle whip. I find mine to be somewhat uncomfortable to shoot because of the way my trigger finger fits in the trigger guard. Weird. I have only had it to the range once so I haven't really figured out why it hurts my finger.

It has polygonal riflings, which make it a snap to clean.

It is a bargain at the price IF it suits your needs. It is a little underpowered for defense purposes and at the same time a little large for extreme concealment. Sure a LOT better than nothing, and if you are on a budget and looking for your first defense gun it is a good choice, but I can't see me carrying it instead of my .45.