PDA

View Full Version : Ames Ad At HQ

inibo
08-20-2007, 09:31 PM
I went over to Arlington to help answer e-mail this evening and took a copy of the Ames ad. It is now tacked up on the "Good News" wall. I'll be going back either tomorrow or later this week. I'll try to get a picture with the staff folks posing around it.

BTW anyone within reasonable distance from Arlington should make a point of spending at least a couple of hours a week helping with the e-mail. When I left tonight there were still over 2,300 messages going back to July 21st. They currently have 4 dedicated workstations set up and they are planning on putting in two more soon. If they get more volunteers I'm sure they'll make room for a few more.

john_anderson_ii
08-20-2007, 09:40 PM
What are these emails that need answered?

It seems strange to have dedicated workstation that volunteers have to go in order to answer emails. Why not setup webmail accounts like squirrel mail (free) or a proprietary solution, then come up with a registration/application process and leverage the power of the internet and the Ron Paul r[evol]ution to answer these emails.

If this were setup, and it could be set up for free or near free with OSS software, then you could have an unlimited number of volunteers answering emails for the campaign.

I don't know the whole story though, but it's just my $0.02.

inibo
08-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Well, they have a g-mail account that the mail goes to. I think part of the reason they are doing it the way they are is so that 1) they can take a few minutes to give a little guidance 2) have a bit of oversight. [Even though we are volunteers we are responding for the official campaign. It would be very easy to lots of damage that way*] and 3) working at head quarters means you have some folks to bounce ideas off of. Plus it is a nice atmosphere. Lots of positive reinforcement. That and I think they like having us around. I know I like being there.

That being said, it would probably be a good idea to have folks who have shown themselves to be reliable and trustworthy work offsite on their own time. I'll mention it when next I'm there.

*For instance I came across a message tonight where someone was asking about "Plan B." They said something to the effect that "We are big supporters and doing all we can, but what if Ron Paul doesn't get elected? We all have guns and we're ready when ever you give the word." I forwarded that one off to an official staff member with a comment saying "I'm not touching that one with a 10 foot pole." You don't want just any unsupervised bozo responding to a message like that.

ctb619
08-20-2007, 11:15 PM
"Plan B":D :D

Bluedevil
08-20-2007, 11:16 PM
I live in Arlington, I am just finishing up my masters thesis so would have some time to help out. Plus its just right up the street. Whats the address? Is there a good time to come by?

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 11:19 PM
*For instance I came across a message tonight where someone was asking about "Plan B." They said something to the effect that "We are big supporters and doing all we can, but what if Ron Paul doesn't get elected? We all have guns and we're ready when ever you give the word." I forwarded that one off to an official staff member with a comment saying "I'm not touching that one with a 10 foot pole." You don't want just any unsupervised bozo responding to a message like that.

Obviously a forum regular in the Hot Topics section :) I'd be interested in how/if the official staff member responded.

DeadheadForPaul
08-20-2007, 11:26 PM
They're backed up a month? Yikes. I wish I could volunteer from here and go through the email for them becaus I cant go up there to volunteer

john_anderson_ii
08-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Ah, I see.

Well, to counteract someone getting on with the email answering for the purpose of doing something damaging, you could implement some sort of personal referral system. (I.e. You have to be "sponsored" by a volunteer who is already on the job).

As far as being able to toss ideas around, that's nothing a private channel in any major messenger service (AIM, Yahoo!) can't handle.

The referral system might also help weed out the unqualified.

inibo
08-20-2007, 11:30 PM
I live in Arlington, I am just finishing up my masters thesis so would have some time to help out. Plus its just right up the street. Whats the address? Is there a good time to come by?

703-248-9115

3461 Washington Blvd., Suite 200
Arlington, VA 22201

It is on the second floor of a very unassuming building. I drove right past it the first time.

I've been getting there around 7:30 PM depending on traffic. I'm coming from NW DC. There are usually people there till around 10:00 PM. I called the first time, which is probably a good idea, but tonight there was at least one person who just showed up. He just moved here from Kansas. He was in Iowa for Ames. We talked a little about that. I was insanely jealous.

torchbearer
08-20-2007, 11:35 PM
I've heard a lot of talk about that Plan B thingy.... i guess things are just getting that bad in some parts of the country.