PDA

View Full Version : Are you: A Christian, A Jew, A Muslim, An Atheist?

gutteck
04-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Are you: A Christian, A Jew, A Muslim, An Atheist?

I have seen many religious posts and I am curious about who is the majority in the forums. I remember when most of us were Christians. Which religion is the majority in forums nowadays?

Vote and post your comments.

/

TER
04-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Are you: A Christian, A Jew, A Muslim, An Atheist?

I have seen many religious posts and I am curious about who is the majority in the forums. I remember when most of us were Christians. Which religion is the majority in forums nowadays?

Vote and post your comments.

/

This will not be a productive thread.

gutteck
04-12-2008, 05:43 PM
This will not be a productive thread.

Do you want to know who the majority is?

nate895
04-12-2008, 05:45 PM
If it's anything other than Christian, that is why we lost the primaries.

Melissa
04-12-2008, 05:46 PM
you need more options or a none of the above

gutteck
04-12-2008, 05:47 PM

I have seen a few dozen Jews and many atheists…

TER
04-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Do you want to know who the majority is?

No, honestly, I don't. It shouldn't make a difference.

Melissa
04-12-2008, 05:48 PM

complete BS we lost because people do not know who he is not because of Religion. I went to Michigan to help them in all the neighboorhoods I went to only 2 People even knew who he was

MS0453
04-12-2008, 05:50 PM
No, honestly, I don't. It shouldn't make a difference.

Agreed. All these religion threads lately are killing me.

gutteck
04-12-2008, 05:50 PM
you need more options or a none of the above

Would you like to make a suggestion?

Melissa
04-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Would you like to make a suggestion?

Maybe agnostic - what you have above is 3 religions and then 1 none --none of them are what I consider myself so either what I just said or a non of the above

nate895
04-12-2008, 05:52 PM
complete BS we lost because people do not know who he is not because of Religion. I went to Michigan to help them in all the neighboorhoods I went to only 2 People even knew who he was

If you have a majority of supporters who are non-Christian in a country that is 70-80% Christian, your message isn't appealing to the right people.

gutteck
04-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Maybe agnostic - what you have above is 3 religions and then 1 none --none of them are what I consider myself so either what I just said or a non of the above

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

Demographic research services normally list agnostics in the same category as atheists and non-religious people[1],

forsmant
What about Buddhism or Paganism? I believe in a higher power that is not represented by the major religions.

Patriot123
Jewish. Polls sort of evening out sort of interestingly all ready, actually.

amy31416
04-12-2008, 05:56 PM
None of the above: agnostic.

soapmistress
04-12-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm Noahide.

forsmant
04-12-2008, 05:58 PM
I warship the sun.

Kotin
04-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Messianic Jew.

Melissa
04-12-2008, 06:01 PM
If you have a majority of supporters who are non-Christian in a country that is 70-80% Christian, your message isn't appealing to the right people.

OMG think whatever you want but if you can't get your name out to the masses it does not matter what Religion you are so it is not your Religion that gets your name out there it is called Money and Media. And if what you say is true then Romney would have not had any support which is a crock of shit --but go ahead keeping believing we did not win somehow because of Religion because if that is true then everyone really does know who Ron Paul is and 90% of people are lying when they say they have never heard of him and ironically since Christians are the majority must mean they are also liars

gutteck
04-12-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm Noahide.

Wouldn’t you be considered Jewish?

forsmant
04-12-2008, 06:04 PM
I could be druish, but I was taken from my home planet of Druidia before the Space Balls sucked away all of its air.

soapmistress
04-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Wouldn’t you be considered Jewish?

No. Not even close

soapmistress
04-12-2008, 06:05 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noahide_Laws

Melissa
04-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Demographic research services normally list agnostics in the same category as atheists and non-religious people[1],

Please make sure when quoting something you get the whole thing read below

[2]. However, this can be misleading given the existence of agnostic theists, who identify themselves as both agnostics in the original sense and followers of a particular religion.

nate895
04-12-2008, 06:11 PM
OMG think whatever you want but if you can't get your name out to the masses it does not matter what Religion you are so it is not your Religion that gets your name out there it is called Money and Media. And if what you say is true then Romney would have not had any support which is a crock of shit --but go ahead keeping believing we did not win somehow because of Religion because if that is true then everyone really does know who Ron Paul and 90% of people are lying when they say they have never heard of him and ironically since Christians are the majority must mean they are also liars

I didn't say you have to be Christian, just that if you're winning you're demographics should fit into categories that win. If 51% of your support came from atheists and agnostics, which, for the sake of argument, is 20% of the population (even though it is much lower) and every atheist and agnostic supported you, you could still not win because you would only be getting around 40% of the vote.

gutteck
04-12-2008, 06:12 PM
No atheists?

In all religious threads I see people with anti God views. So it must be people that believe in other things other than God that post those views. So we don’t have a big atheist sector. It is people that believe in something but believe. But just not in God.

Am I wrong?

amy31416
04-12-2008, 06:13 PM
And hah, what happens in this poll if you are both Jewish and agnostic?

nate895
04-12-2008, 06:13 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noahide_Laws

You're not being a good Noahide since the 7th law says you must have a judiciary to enforce the first 6 laws, and I'm pretty sure Ron Paul doesn't believe in punishing Blasphemers.

Melissa
04-12-2008, 06:16 PM
I didn't say you have to be Christian, just that if you're winning you're demographics should fit into categories that win. If 51% of your support came from atheists and agnostics, which, for the sake of argument, is 20% of the population (even though it is much lower) and every atheist and agnostic supported you, you could still not win because you would only be getting around 40% of the vote.

Think what ever you want but here is the real numbers if 90% of the people do NOT know who you are they also wont vote for you so the rest of whatever you are worried about is BS

soapmistress
04-12-2008, 06:22 PM
You're not being a good Noahide since the 7th law says you must have a judiciary to enforce the first 6 laws, and I'm pretty sure Ron Paul doesn't believe in punishing Blasphemers.

LOL

"Some Jewish thinkers believe that penalties are a detail of the Noahide Laws and that Noahides themselves must determine the details of their own laws for themselves. According to this school of thought - see N. Rakover, Law and the Noahides (1998); M. Dallen, The Rainbow Covenant (2003)- the Noahide Laws offer mankind a set of absolute values and a framework for righteousness and justice, while the detailed laws that are currently on the books of the world's states and nations are presumptively valid."

I don't find this to be incompatible with a philosophy of liberty.

You will find different interpretations, of course, relating to which things fall under which laws - but that's what much of the Talmud is: a debate spanning decades and generations and open to personal truth. For example, I don't believe that sodomy falls under sexual immorality. Just because Lot called it a wicked thing does not mean that God condemned it. It was the refusal of the Sodomites to give help to the poor and needy which sealed their fate in the eyes of God. I'm cool with sodomy AND God, lol. . . I must be a heathen.

gutteck
04-12-2008, 06:37 PM
So 68% Christians.
10% Jews.
No Muslims (so far)
21% Atheists.

So almost half of the people in this community are not Christians. Even though Christians continue to be the majority the views of 42% of the people in here reflect in the religious discussions.

Ron Paul is Christian so what do you think attracts non-Christians to Ron Paul?

Kotin
04-12-2008, 06:40 PM
So 68% Christians.
10% Jews.
No Muslims (so far)
21% Atheists.

So almost half of the people in this community are not Christians. Even though Christians continue to be the majority the views of 42% of the people in here reflect in the religious discussions.

Ron Paul is Christian so what do you think attracts non-Christians to Ron Paul?

the fact that he will not force one bit of his views on you, and further, will fight to protect everyone's rights, not just likeminded.

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-12-2008, 06:43 PM
You are confusing following a monotheistic manmade religion with believing in God. They are not one and the same. I believe in God, but not any religion based on words written by men.

gutteck
04-12-2008, 06:46 PM
You are confusing following a monotheistic manmade religion with believing in God. They are not one and the same. I believe in God, but not any religion based on words written by men.

So I have counted 4 people that do not fall in any of the categories of the poll. So that makes Christians a majority but less than 50% of the community.

soapmistress
04-12-2008, 06:47 PM
He doesn't want to make me live by Christian values, or rather would not support a majority religious population of any sort to dictate to me how to live based on their religion.

If 80% of the country wanted to outlaw sorcery, he would defend the sorcerers. If our country was flooded with Muslims, he would not support implementing Sharia law. If everyone converted to Orthodox Judaism and wanted laws to make all restaurants Kosher, well, you get the picture.

I am quite fond of Christians who don't feel the need to convert me and save my soul. I think Christians get lumped into that whole "saving you from yourself" thing that we so dislike about the Democrats... but they aren't all like that.

I'm a fundamentalist respectian. That's what I am. Forget all the other labels.

soapmistress
04-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Maybe it just comes down to primary identifiers vs. secondary and tertiary...

If you are:

#1 An individualist
#2 A Christian
#3 An American

as an example, then you don't have a problem with libertarian leaning ideas.

But if you switched those like

#1 A Christian
#2 An American
#3 An individualist

you could see how a conflict of interest presents itself for some people.. If your first duty in life is to serve God by converting as many people as you can and making sure they don't have abortions or butt-sex, then I think personal liberty takes a back seat.

I could totally be wrong. :) I'm just thinking about the questions that your questions make me have.

yongrel
04-12-2008, 07:25 PM
To make this thread more informative:
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/Rumsfeld_Origami.gif

gutteck
04-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Maybe it just comes down to primary identifiers vs. secondary and tertiary...

If you are:

#1 An individualist
#2 A Christian
#3 An American

as an example, then you don't have a problem with libertarian leaning ideas.

But if you switched those like

#1 A Christian
#2 An American
#3 An individualist

you could see how a conflict of interest presents itself for some people.. If your first duty in life is to serve God by converting as many people as you can and making sure they don't have abortions or butt-sex, then I think personal liberty takes a back seat.

I could totally be wrong. :) I'm just thinking about the questions that your questions make me have.

I believe that most Christians are Christians first. I don’t know about other religions or beliefs…

soapmistress
04-12-2008, 07:56 PM
I believe that most Christians are Christians first. I don’t know about other religions or beliefs…

That may be true but not all of them are authoritarian Christians right?

Is it possible to be Christian first, and not be an authoritarian Christian?

nate895
04-12-2008, 08:00 PM
That may be true but not all of them are authoritarian Christians right?

Is it possible to be Christian first, and not be an authoritarian Christian?

I am a Christian first, meaning I will protect my faith before anything. Then I am an American, and then I am a member of my family. I only support things that are good for all three, unless there is nothing good for all three, then I go for whichever one takes precedent.

soapmistress
04-12-2008, 08:05 PM
And I'm pretty sure that RP would call himself a Christian first too. That's why I think he would be a fantastic President as someone who can lead by example.