PDA

View Full Version : 12th District - Good News Rumored

MozoVote
04-12-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm hearing that when Pat gets back from High Point there will be good news from 12th district! :) Stay tuned....

rancher89
04-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Good news indeed! We were concerned before going in about rules that may have prevented us from being nominated to national, but were pleasantly surprised when everyone, everyone assured us that they don't follow all of the rules that closely. Two McCain supporters nominated themselves, so our #1 nominated himself, all three were elected with no dissent. I nominated myself as an alternate and was elected. No one voted against either one of us. Going in, I only knew of two other RP supporters in the room, even after posting numerous times on several boards. Afterwards, I was more than pleased to find that there were four college students and an older fellow (lol, MY age...) who were RP supporters too. All have vowed to chip in for our expenses to go to St. Paul.

(I left the house at 9:30 this morning and got back at 7:30 pm....still wired!!!)

MozoVote
04-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Wow, from your long post in the Meetup e-mail, it sounds like 12th district was pretty uncoordinated. Good thing you both were quick on your feet, and jumped into the nominations.

I can say that 9th district was organized, but it seemed to have been conducted with a firm but fair hand. They had a parliamentarian, he would gavel people to be quiet and followed Robert's Rules. The main anomaly was that some of Gaston and Union county turned in their ballots before Ken and Kristina spoke. (I don't think this mattered too much though, since we needed so many more votes.)

Hopefully we won't have any trouble getting the Charlotte meetup to cough up those travel expenses. Congratulations!

rancher89
04-12-2008, 07:41 PM
I liked the "Bob's Rules of Order" if I do say so my self!!!

nc4rp
04-12-2008, 07:45 PM
way to go 12th!!!!!!

rancher89
04-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks, it was awesome! Let's get some voter support now and pull up the percentages so we can send some more delegates!!

slacker921
04-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Did the 12th district candidates for national delegate have to state which candidate they would vote for at the national convention?

MozoVote
04-13-2008, 06:55 AM
They did, but it wasn't important because only 3 people were willing to be nominated to go to national. And the chairman shrugged it off, by telling the delegates that the primary determines who-votes-for-what candidate. (9th did not have declarations.)

Pat said that Bob Orr and Mayor McCrory were at the 12th convention. I think it's kinda funny they felt the need to compete for the opinions less than sixty delegates. :P They could have found a bigger crowd of morning "mall-walkers" or somethng.

slacker921
04-13-2008, 07:17 AM
well.. Orr and McCrory were at the Cabarrus Reagan Day dinner - I would guess 80-85 people there, but at least 30 of those were either candidates or family of candidates. All of the candidates were there talking to each other. It's really kind of sad to see.

The folks at the 8th district said it was NC law that the candidates for national delegate had to declare who they would vote for. So.. either the GOP folks in the 8th were flat out lying or the folks in the 9th broke the law.

rancher89
04-13-2008, 12:08 PM
well.. Orr and McCrory were at the Cabarrus Reagan Day dinner - I would guess 80-85 people there, but at least 30 of those were either candidates or family of candidates. All of the candidates were there talking to each other. It's really kind of sad to see.

The folks at the 8th district said it was NC law that the candidates for national delegate had to declare who they would vote for. So.. either the GOP folks in the 8th were flat out lying or the folks in the 9th broke the law.

So you had around 50 actual delegates at the dinner, we only had about 30 total at the 12th convention and of those, 8 were RP supporters. You need to get all of your delegates at your convention for sure......

dustup
04-13-2008, 09:47 PM

The folks at the 8th district said it was NC law that the candidates for national delegate had to declare who they would vote for. So.. either the GOP folks in the 8th were flat out lying or the folks in the 9th broke the law.I was there...I am still trying to find that "State Law" ! It sure doesn't say that in the GOP rules....of course it appears they change the rules as they go! :mad:
We had 16 Ron Paul delegates at that convention and we were out voted, due mostly to the 8th district making nominees declare who they would vote for in the National Convention even though we haven't had the primary yet. When our delegate committed to Ron Paul he got booed!
When asked what happens if Ron Paul wins the primary in NC...the District chair said that the State would have to figure that out! Or that 60% would go to Ron Paul and 40% would go to McCain :rolleyes:
On the whole the GOP is disenfranchising Ron Paul supporters before the primary! Which is against their Rule 11-A :(

rancher89
04-14-2008, 05:40 AM
We need to submit a resolution at State to move our primary up to Super Tuesday, or the next week or two weeks after....just somewhere on the calendar more meaningful. That way our conventions can be after the primary like it's supposed to be.....

slacker921
04-14-2008, 05:57 AM
We need to submit a resolution at State to move our primary up to Super Tuesday, or the next week or two weeks after....just somewhere on the calendar more meaningful. That way our conventions can be after the primary like it's supposed to be.....

actually... if we'd been organized.. this could have worked to our advantage in a HUGE way. If we'd had about 40 more people going to each of the district conventions (i.e. maybe 10 more Paul supporters from each county) then we'd probably have 2 Paul supporters from each district going to the national convention. That would have made the local news. As it is we picked up one or two and the support for Paul is still seen as very thin.

and NC being last is making it super important for the Democrats - it will be a deciding state for them. It could have been the same for the Republicans.. ah well.