PDA

View Full Version : I Love Calling Texans...

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 07:40 PM
./

noxagol
08-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Sounds good to me, might want to include something like never voted for gun control, is against illegal immigration, and never voted to raise taxes.

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 07:48 PM

LibertyEagle
08-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Your script is excellent, but I agree with noxagol, that you should add a blurb about no gun control, no illegal immigration and his perfect voting history on taxes.

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 07:52 PM

LibertyEagle
08-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Ron Paul has a 20 year record of voting against ALL unconstitutional legislation, including voting no on gun restrictions, illegal immigration and taxes.

Note: Your version is better, but I really think you should add something about illegal immigration. We are frickin' invaded here.

If you have to leave off something, I would suggest the 'Champion of the Constitution' part, because you already say he votes against all unconstitutional legislation.

noxagol
08-20-2007, 07:53 PM
My second draft...
Hello, this is --namehere--. I am a volunteer calling on behalf of Congressman Ron Paul's presidential campaign. Our records show that you are eligible to vote in the first ever Texas Straw Poll on September 1st. Many true conservatives feel that the Republican party has lost it's way and that is why we have become united in supporting Dr. Ron Paul for president. Ron Paul is the champion of the constitution and has a 20 year record of voting against ALL tax increases, ALL gun restrictions and ALL unconstitutional laws. If you want to support a candidate that intends to reinstate the Constitution, please consider voting for Congressman Ron Paul in the Texas Straw Poll on September 1st. For more information on how you can help, please call his office at 1.866.766.2008.

Yeah. Might even want to switch taxes out for illegal immigration, seems like it would be a bigger issue to Texans.

LibertyEagle
08-20-2007, 07:54 PM
No, both are important.

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 07:55 PM

john_anderson_ii
08-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Makes it a bit longer but more complete...

If you want to support a candidate that intends to reinstate the Constitution, secure our borders, and enforce sound economic policy, please consider voting for Congressman Ron Paul in the Texas Straw Poll on September 1st. For more information on how you can help, please call his office at 1.866.766.2008

It's very difficult to cram the message of Dr. Paul into a 30 second blurb. :D Kudos!

noxagol
How about:

Hello, this is --namehere--. I am a volunteer calling on behalf of Congressman Ron Paul's presidential campaign. Our records show that you are eligible to vote in the first ever Texas Straw Poll on September 1st. Many true conservatives feel that the Republican party has lost it's way and that is why we have become united in supporting Dr. Ron Paul for president. Ron Paul is the champion of the constitution and has a 20 year record of voting against ALL tax increases, ALL gun restrictions, and ALL unconstitutional laws, and is tough on illegal immigration. If you want to support a candidate that intends to reinstate the Constitution, please consider voting for Congressman Ron Paul in the Texas Straw Poll on September 1st. For more information on how you can help, please call his office at 1.866.766.2008.

wgadget
Yep, ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION is THE issue for 2008.

Tonight on the way home from work I heard Michael Savage talking about how we need to get rid of the 14th Amendment...Birthright citizenship. I think that if we could let other people know that this is what Ron Paul proposes, it would go a LONG, LONG way.

Now if some of the other copycat candidates don't try to steal it from him...

DAZ
08-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Maybe mention that he is a sitting Congressman from Texas.

American
08-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Isnt texas recieving the brunt of this NAFTA super corridor, in Laredo.

I would also say he is against NAFTA, CAFTA and doesnt want a North American Union. Texans are losing there land under eminent domain been going on since last year.

side note: Bush just met today with Mexico prez and Canadian PM today in Ontario.

born2drv
08-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Also mention he wants to eliminate income tax, abolish the IRS and reduce wasteful government spending. I think that's something all Americans whether they lean right or left can appreciate.

akalucas
08-20-2007, 07:59 PM
maybe you should state that Paul is a congressman representing Texas and say the district he is representing. That way they know he is from their own state.

LibertyEagle
08-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Isnt texas recieving the brunt of this NAFTA super corridor, in Laredo.

I would also say he is against NAFTA, CAFTA and doesnt want a North American Union. Texans are losing there land under eminent domain been going on since last year.

side note: Bush just met today with Mexico prez and Canadian PM today in Ontario.

In some areas, the whole Trans Texas Corridor thing is very big, but I'm not sure everyone understands what this is going to mean, yet.

Another way to get at it, is to say that Dr. Paul is a strong advocate of private property rights. That would be a siren to anyone whose land is slated to be stolen for this thing. But I guess, we should keep in mind that we are calling delegates, not just everyone. Maybe it's best to address this if and when we're actually talking to them, so we can play it by ear.

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 08:04 PM

foofighter20x
08-20-2007, 08:09 PM
How about:

Hello, this is --namehere--. I am a volunteer calling on behalf of TEXAS Congressman Ron Paul's presidential campaign. Our records show that you are eligible to vote in the first ever Texas Straw Poll on September 1st. Many true conservatives feel that the Republican party has lost it's way and that is why we have become united in supporting Dr. Ron Paul for president. Ron Paul is the champion of the constitution and has a 20 year record of voting against ALL tax increases, ALL gun restrictions, and ALL unconstitutional laws, and is tough on illegal immigration. If you want to support a candidate that intends to reinstate the Constitution, please consider voting for Congressman Ron Paul in the Texas Straw Poll on September 1st. For more information on how you can help, please call his office at 1.866.766.2008.

Added my forty-two cents.

(The joke there is that what two cents would buy in 1912, the last year free of the federal reserve, it would take .42 cents to buy today, at least according to the CPI, although CPI is not an accurate indicator of real inflation.)

McDermit
08-20-2007, 08:10 PM
The only part I don't like is the "and that is why we have become united in supporting" line. It sounds like something I'd stumble over if I tried to say it. lol.

constituent
08-20-2007, 08:10 PM
sound really familiar with the person on the answering machine script.

be assumptive, they were waiting to hear from you (not really).

hey -first name- this is -first and last name-, I'm volunteering for Ron Paul's texas -voter campaign name-,
and wanted to let you know that you are eligable to participate in the first straw poll of Texas history.

Here is your chance to influence the state party's future for next half century to come. That's why I'd like to
encourage you to to look up Texas Representative Ron Paul at his official website RonPaul2008.com, or call
the office today at 1.866.766.2008 and find out how you can get involved.

::and for style points though it'd be hard to say w/ a straight face::

hope for america, be a part of it.

disconnect.

LibertyEagle
08-20-2007, 08:12 PM
"end birthright citizenship to children of illegal aliens"

This sounds too weak. How about END illegal immigration. Or, secure our borders.

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 08:12 PM

wgadget
08-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Ya know......

I'm one of those people that has two rules to follow:

1. I will do what I say I will do.
2. I will not encroach on other people or their property.

Well, I confess, that I really think I need to back out of the Texas calling effort. The calls I made were duplicates, and I got one guy pretty peeved at me.

I am NOT a phone person. I am MUCH happier writing on forums, sending email letters to editors, or arguing with Townhall bloggers.

Can I renege on my phone calls? Will I rot in hell?

I feel so guilty....

specsaregood

McDermit
sound really familiar with the person on the answering machine script.

be assumptive, they were waiting to hear from you (not really).

hey -first name- this is -first and last name-, I'm volunteering for Ron Paul's texas -voter campaign name-,
and wanted to let you know that you are eligable to participate in the first straw poll of Texas history.

Here is your chance to influence the state party's future for next half century to come. That's why I'd like to encourage your to to look up Texas Representative Ron Paul at his official website RonPaul2008.com, or call the office today at 1.866.766.2008 and find out how you can get involved.

::and for style points though it'd be hard to say w/ a straight face::

hope for america, be a part of it.

disconnect.
The cheesey we're buddies approach might be alright for telemarketing, but aren't you trying to project a somewhat professional image here?

And you have to list a couple of RP's stances, or most people won't care enough to bother looking him up.

constituent
08-20-2007, 08:15 PM
you have to remember on answering machine scripts that you are essentially a radio advert, but much more personal.

LibertyEagle
08-20-2007, 08:15 PM
The cheesey we're buddies approach might be alright for telemarketing, but aren't you trying to project a somewhat professional image here?

And you have to list a couple of RP's stances, or most people won't care enough to bother looking him up.

I agree.

constituent
08-20-2007, 08:16 PM
mcdermit

you might think that, but you'd be wrong.

you are telemarketing... it's a numbers game.

Original_Intent
Only question I have is can you say you are calling on behalf of the RP for President comittee if you are doing it "grassroots" (i.e. on your own)?

Not trying to rain on your parade, what you are doing is GREAT, just want to avoid any FEC troubles for you.

klamath
The republicans are really missing Ronald Reagan and are desperate for someone like him. If the line could be added. "Ron Paul the Texas congressmen that lead and delivered all of the Republican delegates to Reagan in 1976."

If anyone has ever worked around texans you will find no people more loyal to their state.

McDermit
How would you reword it?

We == conservatives just like you.
United == americans, trying to restore the constitution.

It does sound tough, but the key would be to stay calm and easy when reading it off. But give me a suggestion, I'm open.

Not a huge difference, but losing the "become" helps a bit.

"and that is why we have united in supporting Ron Paul"

specsaregood
//

constituent
08-20-2007, 08:17 PM
the boring, "hi, i'm from so and so candidates... he feels like this and promises this..."

they're sittin' there going... 'come on come on get on with it.. yea yea f* ron paul... blah blah blah'

Original_Intent
08-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Only question I have is can you say you are calling on behalf of the RP for President comittee if you are doing it "grassroots" (i.e. on your own)?

Not trying to rain on your parade, what you are doing is GREAT, just want to avoid any FEC troubles for you.

/bump

constituent
08-20-2007, 08:19 PM
i've done extensive phone work in texas. you can naysay if you want (once again libertyeagle), i'm just offering suggestions.

Spirit of '76
08-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Give 'em the www.ronpaul2008.com website address, too. :)

constituent
08-20-2007, 08:20 PM
and people in texas are already familiar with ron paul.

McDermit
08-20-2007, 08:23 PM
and people in texas are already familiar with ron paul.
Then why are you telling them to look him up?

wgadget
08-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Hrm, they are all saying that now. How do we seperate Ron Paul's message from the liars in the field?

Say he wants to END THE BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP provided for in the 14th Amendment.

klamath
08-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Yeah, need to have their name. in there.

--fourth draft--
Hello --theirfirstname--, this is --mynamehere--. I am a volunteer calling on behalf of Texas Congressman Ron Paul's presidential campaign. Our records show that you are eligible to vote in the first ever Texas Straw Poll on September 1st. Many true conservatives feel that the Republican party has lost it's way and that is why we have united in supporting Dr. Ron Paul for president. Ron Paul is the champion of the constitution and has a 20 year record of voting against ALL tax increases, ALL gun restrictions and ALL unconstitutional laws. If you want to support a candidate that intends to reinstate the Constitution, abolish the IRS and end birthright citizenship to children of illegal aliens; please consider voting for Texas Congressman Ron Paul in the Texas Straw Poll on September 1st. For more information on how you can help, please call his office at 1.866.766.2008.

edit: took McDermits suggestion

I might add, try to keep it as short as possible.

this line could be cut out. "Our records show that you are eligible to vote in the first ever Texas Straw Poll on September 1st." They should already know they are a eligible to vote. If not maybe you just convenced a voter for later:D

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 08:26 PM
//

Akus
08-20-2007, 08:27 PM
My third draft...
Hello, this is --namehere--. I am a volunteer calling on behalf of Texas Congressman Ron Paul's presidential campaign. Our records show that you are eligible to vote in the first ever Texas Straw Poll on September 1st. Many true conservatives feel that the Republican party has lost it's way and that is why we have become united in supporting Dr. Ron Paul for president. Ron Paul is the champion of the constitution and has a 20 year record of voting against ALL tax increases, ALL gun restrictions and ALL unconstitutional laws. If you want to support a candidate that intends to reinstate the Constitution, abolish the IRS and end birthright citizenship to children of illegal aliens; please consider voting for Texas Congressman Ron Paul in the Texas Straw Poll on September 1st. For more information on how you can help, please call his office at 1.866.766.2008.

Include that RP is a Bible believing christian.
No seriously, the Jesus party will eat this one up. Especially include that if someone pix up the telephone and instead of "hello" says "praise the lord" or some such.

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 08:27 PM
//

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 08:28 PM
//

Akus
08-20-2007, 08:29 PM
You'd be surprised. 3 of the people that I have had good calls with went off on how the "religious nuts" have hijacked THEIR party.

ok play it by ear then:rolleyes:

constituent
08-20-2007, 08:32 PM
McDermit

so they know how to get involved. it is called a 'call to action.'

you are encouraging them to do something now that you have contacted them. the message on the machine did not convince them to either

1) attend the straw poll
2) vote for ron paul at the straw poll
3) join the campaign

It angered them because it took too long. When you walk in the door and hit the answering machine, or are on your cellphone's voice mail, do you want to hear about his stance on illegal immigration?

what if it was a call from john mccain?

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Say he wants to END THE BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP provided for in the 14th Amendment.

You can read his own words here:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul346.html

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 08:35 PM
//

constituent
08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
i posted that one on pg. 2 i think... the one that McDermit thought was cheesy.

he reposted it in one of those monsterous blue boxes...

or maybe just the beginning... i don't remember. let me know what you think real quick and i'll post you another one in the morning.

pm me if you need anything else.

DjLoTi
08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
We prob won't need to be doing these things before too long, lol :P

McDermit
08-20-2007, 08:40 PM
McDermit

so they know how to get involved. it is called a 'call to action.'

you are encouraging them to do something now that you have contacted them. the message on the machine did not convince them to either

1) attend the straw poll
2) vote for ron paul at the straw poll
3) join the campaign

It angered them because it took too long. When you walk in the door and hit the answering machine, or are on your cellphone's voice mail, do you want to hear about his stance on illegal immigration?

what if it was a call from john mccain?I'm much more likely to listen to something informative than some fluffy garbage that doesn't tell me a damn thing.

When we get the "Hey John, this is your old buddy that you've never met" calls, we press the delete button before the first sentence is up. Having worked in the telecom industry for 12 years, I know that most people WON'T bite on a call to action unless they have good reason. Your script gives nothing. You haven't told me anything I want to hear. Why would I waste my time calling you back?

constituent
08-20-2007, 08:42 PM
i'm not at war w/ you man... calm down. right off the bat w/ the attack mode... libertyeagle style w/ the claw. geez, man can hardly breathe around here.

constituent
08-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Perhaps you're not that good w/ the Hey John. from new york or something perhaps? californ-lie-a?

also, as stated in the script...

no this is not 'some friend you've never met' this is so and so volunteering for ron paul....
and i'm not bashing the other scripts... but what prevents the person from hanging up right off the bat on that one?

::edit.. people in texas already know what ron paul stands for. texas republican representative kinda says it all no?::
nothing.

it is a numbers game... really though, it is. tone and inflection.. that whole bit. sorry.

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 08:46 PM
//

McDermit
08-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Perhaps you're not that good w/ the Hey John. from new york or something perhaps? californ-lie-a?
Arkansas. Currently living in rural Pennsylvania. Nice try though.

constituent
08-20-2007, 08:50 PM
close enough for me.

stevedasbach
08-20-2007, 08:51 PM
The libertarian professionals who did telephone fundraising for the LP would try to reach a live human being three times before leaving a message. Very few of the people a message was left with ever called back to donate.

I suspect the situation here is similar. If you can try again later at a different time, that will likely be more effective than any marginal improvement in the answering machine script.

McDermit
08-20-2007, 08:52 PM
If you've already called before an will be leaving messages, I like the script as you have it now, specs. It's got the major points that Texans will agree with RP on.. provided that they listen to the message, it should get them interested enough to make the phone call.

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 08:55 PM
//

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 08:57 PM
//

constituent
08-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Let me start off by saying I like your script (I know you know this, but to cutoff any attacks before they start), this is just constructive criticism

::ducks knives flying overhead::

1) No one responds well to 'Our Records' though I
really like your wording of 1st tx straw poll.

2) I wouldn't go w/ 'many true conservatives' because
most non-political people are running from that term. This
is where assumptive steps in, start like this:

Washington and the Republican party have lost their way, that
is why we are uniting behind the cause of change ::tie back to RP::

3) Don't bother with what he is against. ::People got their problems, that ain't nothin' new. -david bowie::
Instead:
He is pro-life, pro-family.

The champion of the constitution
part is absolutely vital!

4) I wouldn't ask them to 'please consider voting.' this is the
assumptive issue again.

Instead something like:

I look forward to seeing you on the -Date- at the -Straw Poll-
In the meanwhile, learn how to get involved by visiting the official
campaign website at www.ronpaul2008.com. Or call the office personally
at 1.866.766.2008

Great Script overall.

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 09:06 PM
//

constituent
08-20-2007, 09:13 PM
3) abolish or illegal anything are just too heavy for an answering machine.

DjLoTi
08-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Just skip the answering machine all together

McDermit
08-20-2007, 09:15 PM
lol

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 09:16 PM
//

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 09:18 PM
//

McDermit
08-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Hello --theirfirstname--, this is --mynamehere--. I am a volunteer calling on behalf of Texas Congressman Ron Paul's presidential campaign. You are eligible to vote in the first ever Texas Presidential Straw Poll on September 1st. Many true conservatives feel that the Republican party has lost it's way and that is why we have united in supporting Dr. Ron Paul for president. Ron Paul is the champion of the constitution and has a 20 year record of voting against ALL tax increases, ALL gun restrictions and ALL unconstitutional laws. If you want to support a candidate that intends to reinstate the Constitution, abolish the IRS and end birthright citizenship to children of illegal aliens; then vote for Texas Congressman Ron Paul in the Texas Straw Poll on September 1st. In the meanwhile, learn how to get involved by visiting the official campaign website at www.ronpaul2008.com. Or call the office personally at 1.866.766.2008

I think with the last line, you're deviating from the purpose of the call. It's not a general call just to get his name out.. we NEED these delegates to show up at the Straw Poll and vote for RP.

We want them to call the office to get more info on the straw poll.. where it is, what time it's being held, how to get there, etc. If they have RP questions at that time, the staff can answer them and refer them to the site. The most important part is getting them to talk to a live person who knows that they're a Texas GOP delegate.

McDermit
08-20-2007, 09:22 PM
If me leaving a 30 second message on the machine of a potential delegate to the poll has the slimmest chance of getting them to show up to vote? What would you suggest then?

I call twice. First time, no message. Second time - either several hours later or the following day. No answer on the second try, I leave a message.

DjLoTi
08-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Ok sorry, it's just that I've received so many voicemails lately I would be really annoyed if someone I didn't know left me a message. I don't mean to stifle your idea. If it works, keep going. I was just making a passive statement :)

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 09:25 PM
//

McDermit
08-20-2007, 09:27 PM
I like it. I'd call.

Akus
08-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi, Mr. /Mrs. _________________. My name is Akus and I am a volunteer calling in support of Congressman Ron Paul. Have you heard of him?

He is running for president and we would like to invite you to join us at the Iowa Straw Poll in Ames on Saturday, August 11th from 10 am to 6 PM. Ron Paul is currently in his 10th term in Congress, and has proven to be committed to lowering taxes and protecting individuals' rights, including the eminent domain.

We would really appreciate your support. Why don't you check us out @ www.ronpaul2008.com, alright?

You can learn all about him and his positions. If you are interested in supporting Ron Paul the best way to do it is to vote for him at the Straw Poll. We hope you can join us, and we appreciate your time.

Hey specsaregood, this was my script for Iowa, obviously, replace IA with TX and another thing, I kept saying "concerned citizen" instead of a volunteer. I don't know if it helps or not.

I am still standing by my "he is a good Christian" advice, if you're calling East TX (you are if it's 903 area code), try to use it. But again, play it by ear, of course.

Akus
08-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Hi, Mr. /Mrs. _________________. My name is Akus and I am a volunteer calling in support of Congressman Ron Paul.

Ron Paul is running for president and we would like to invite you to join us at the Iowa Straw Poll in Ames on Saturday, August 11th from 10 am to 6 PM. Ron Paul is currently in his 10th term in Congress, and has proven to be committed to lowering taxes and protecting individuals' rights, including the eminent domain.

We would really appreciate your support. Why don't you check us out @ www.ronpaul2008.com.

You can learn all about him and his positions. If you are interested in supporting Ron Paul the best way to do it is to vote for him at the Straw Poll. We hope you can join us, and we appreciate your time.

this is what I say if no one picks up the telephone

fj45lvr
08-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Ok, well this what I am using tomorrow. When I get a live one on the phone, I'm all good. They end up begging me to vote for Ron Paul.

Hello --theirfirstname--, this is --mynamehere--. I am a volunteer calling on behalf of Texas Congressman Ron Paul's presidential campaign. You are eligible to vote in the first ever Texas Presidential Straw Poll on September 1st. Many true conservatives feel that the Republican party has lost it's way and that is why we have united in supporting Dr. Ron Paul for president. Ron Paul is the champion of the constitution and has a 20 year record of voting against ALL tax increases, ALL gun restrictions and ALL unconstitutional laws. If you want to support a candidate that intends to reinstate the Constitution, abolish the IRS and end birthright citizenship to children of illegal aliens; please vote for Texas Congressman Ron Paul in the Texas Straw Poll on September 1st. For more information on how you can help, please call his office at 1.866.766.2008.

I would consider omitting the word "FEEL"....I KNOW not feel

"ron Paul is the champion of the constitution" ( he is against the HUGE federal bureacraucy that keeps GROWING and GROWING in direct conflict with the constitution which the founders intended to limit the federal government, especially from the cradle to grave welfare state that exists today and a host of other executive agencies and their programs that are mortgaging our childrens future carelessly and needlessly.

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 10:56 PM
//

DjLoTi
08-20-2007, 10:58 PM
How about Mr./Ms./Mrs. w/e ?

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 11:01 PM
//