PDA

View Full Version : Current Affairs class

d03boy
04-12-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm in a current affairs class and I have to write a 4-6 page essay. Here are my topics to choose from. The first one angers me a little bit because I went up to him in class and told him that there are at least 4 people still running and he pulled out the "but do you seriously think he can win?" card... which question should I do and why?

1. Imagine that you are an advisor to one of the three remaining presidential candidates (please pick just one). The candidate has asked you to prepare a position paper – a document with a clear argument – on the continued importance of religion in the era of globalization. What issues would you stress in such a paper? What religions and regions of the world would you tell the candidate to pay close attention to? Please reference at least three (3) of our class readings in your attempt to draft such a document

2. How should one make sense of the continued globalization of culture in the early twenty-first century? Is such a process leading to a new era of cultural pluralism, a world in which the differences of the past may be overcome through such avenues as sport and the arts? Is such a process allowing for local cultures to continue to grow and flourish, while at the same time allowing others the opportunity to explore such far-off cultures? Or is cultural globalization creating a sort of homogeneous global culture, one in which variety and diversity are being overtaken by chain restaurants and big-box stores? Or is cultural globalization another aspect of economic globalization, with such cultural products serving as mere commodities in the global economy? Please draw upon at least three (3) of our class readings as you attempt to address this topic.

3. There is little doubt that the events of 9/11 have played a tremendous role in determining the shape of US policy in the early twenty-first century. Drawing from at least three (3) of our class readings, please illustrate how the horrific events of that day have influenced US policy (in any realm, including foreign policy, domestic policy, economic policy, and legal policy) during the past six years. Some questions to possibly consider: Did the 9/11 attacks lead us to rethink our commitment to globalization? Has our attention to global terrorism caused us to overlook other potential threats to our country? What role have the terrorist attacks played on policies related to the domestic arena?

Libertytree
04-12-2008, 10:49 AM
I'd take #3. Everything there seems to be addressed in the liberty/Dr Paul's positions. Much can be debated and refuted in those questions. Just my 2¢.

sratiug
04-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Door number three.

nate895
04-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I'd do number two because that is one topic I'm interested in, but number three would be fine.

FreeTraveler
04-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I'd jump all over number three from Dr. Paul's standpoint, but save mentioning him to the very end. :D

familydog
04-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Do whichever one you're most interested in and have access to the most and best resources. If I were writing the paper, I'd do number three. There are several things to talk about in that one. I'd talk about how the Bush administration switched from a classical realism approach to foreign policy to a defensive realism approach after 9/11 with the main focus on the balance of power realism approach. If you're going to do something along these lines, you might want to start with the National Security Strategy of 2002, which is essentially "The Bush Doctrine."

angelatc
04-12-2008, 11:23 AM
If I did 1 or 2 I would turn it into an argument against the nonsensical globalization concept.

Or perhaps I would explode.

d03boy
04-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Do whichever one you're most interested in and have access to the most and best resources. If I were writing the paper, I'd do number three. There are several things to talk about in that one. I'd talk about how the Bush administration switched from a classical realism approach to foreign policy to a defensive realism approach after 9/11 with the main focus on the balance of power realism approach. If you're going to do something along these lines, you might want to start with the National Security Strategy of 2002, which is essentially "The Bush Doctrine."

Thanks for the guidance there. That's sort of what I'm looking for here. I'm no expert in history, politics, etc. The only thing we've covered in class relating to a lot of this stuff would be that we read Osama's letter to America.

familydog
04-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the guidance there. That's sort of what I'm looking for here. I'm no expert in history, politics, etc. The only thing we've covered in class relating to a lot of this stuff would be that we read Osama's letter to America.

Sure thing. If you have any other questions, shoot me a PM. I'll be happy to help :D

tomveil
04-12-2008, 11:38 AM
#3 would be the most interesting, for sure.

Starting with history BEFORE 9/11 and tying it into what Osama says should be powerful. Most people have no idea. Then you can tie post 9/11 into our economy and the faltering of the dollar.

Libertytree
04-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Excellent familydog!

Plus d03, you can get a boatload of input from this forum should you need it.

rockandrollsouls
04-12-2008, 12:05 PM
number 3 for sure. That question opens a can of worms

kyleAF
04-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Integrate the financial straits that we're in, as that is by far the biggest threat to us at this point.

Our financial situation is entirely relevant to our foreign policy, as the former is both what drives and limits the latter.

Good luck!

Hook
04-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Boy I'm glad I'm no longer in school. The first two topics would put me in a coma if I had to write about them.

You should do #3, but bring up the fact that Bush wanted to go to war in Iraq long before 911. Since your professor seems to be the leftist type, you should also mention that Bill Clinton was bombing Iraq continuously during the 90's and he also was pushing for a bill that would authorize a full-out war with Iraq before he left office.

ForLiberty-RonPaul
04-12-2008, 07:55 PM
easy #3. it so easily connects with everything Dr. Paul talks about. You could even convert people in your class with that one.

So many sources to quote.

yongrel
04-12-2008, 08:04 PM

Typed Rickroll.

Michael Ingram
04-12-2008, 08:46 PM
For #3, quote a guy named "Michael Scheuer" about his opinions on Bin Laden and 9/11. He was a top guy in the CIA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Scheuer

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2006/08/sb-seven-michael-scheuer-1156277744

You can also search him on Youtube.

slamhead
04-13-2008, 06:48 AM
First of I would correct the teacher and say that their are 4 candidates left in the race. Second I would ask the instructor why the questions are slanted in favor of globalization.

lynnf
04-13-2008, 09:14 AM
#3 would seem to me to have the most material, but we can't know how much material there is from your reading assignments ... but can assume there is enough since it requires citing at least 3 of them.

don't forget that it lead to military commissions act, diminution of habeas corpus, loss of posse comitatus, disrespect of Geneva Conventions, and, of course, torture, in addition to the Orwellian-named "Patriot Act". Related but not necessarily derivative: "Veterans Disarmament Act" (not the official title).

lynn

sratiug
04-13-2008, 09:33 AM
If the teacher's phone number were posted I'm sure some people here would like to talk to him.

d03boy
04-13-2008, 11:34 AM
sorry, no phone numbers, lol. He's not a bad teacher, just very, very liberal it seems. And yes, I did already correct him about the number of candidates. He said "well you don't really think he has a chance to win, right?"... I'm not so great with verbal confrontation so I basically just walked away.

The comments I'm getting are great, thanks for the ideas/opinions.