PDA

View Full Version : ? About Party Rules

pinkmandy
04-12-2008, 10:06 AM
I've read that in states (like Louisiana) where the state GOP is being challenged that those delegates won't count for the national convention if they are tied up at the time in a controversy or the situation is unresolved. So they are screwing us using this tactic in LA? What's stopping us from challenging THEM in other states and tying up delegates in McCrazy heavy states?

gb13
04-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Good point!

brandon
04-12-2008, 10:24 AM
AFAIK, we didn't get any delegates in LA. The RP people are challenging what hapened in LA and trying to get all of the LA delegates blocked from the RNC, due to rules violations.

pinkmandy
04-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Right, rules violations which cost us our delegates. We had the delegates, they violated their own rules when they did that profamily slate. They literally stole all the hard work our people in LA did. We're disputing the way they obtained their delegates, right? Why can't we do this elsewhere? Surely we can find where rules were broken in other states and challenge them?

Sandra
04-12-2008, 10:43 AM
If the RNC agrees to uphold the rules, this is what will happen:

* They allow all valid provisional votes to be counted, then Ron Paul wins the state regardless of any other rule upheld.

* All delegates qualifying after Jan 10 2007 will be disqualified. This will be most of the McCain delegates.

I don't think we're challenging the way the slates were done. Just the base rules for selection.

Zera
04-12-2008, 10:44 AM
I read what happened in LA... But what rule was it that was violated? Still somewhat confused.

nate895
04-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Right, rules violations which cost us our delegates. We had the delegates, they violated their own rules when they did that profamily slate. They literally stole all the hard work our people in LA did. We're disputing the way they obtained their delegates, right? Why can't we do this elsewhere? Surely we can find where rules were broken in other states and challenge them?

Well, if you can find another state breaking the rules on how they select delegates, yes, but that happens once in a blue moon.

nate895
04-12-2008, 10:48 AM
I read what happened in LA... But what rule was it that was violated? Still somewhat confused.

They didn't count many provisional votes, and they let people qualify for delegate past the proper date since Ron Paul people dominated the ballot.

pepperpete1
04-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Also, there is a time limitation to file a challenge or contestment. Each state party rules will differ regarding who you need to file with and when.

Sandra
04-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Rules for selection of delegates must be submitted to the RNC before the first Tuesday the year before the caucus or primary is held. If they don't, challenges to rules that are amended at the caucus are negated. The reason for this rule is it prevents party hacks fron taking complete control through totalitarian amendments made to favor a few people.

Sandra
04-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Also, there is a time limitation to file a challenge or contestment. Each state party rules will differ regarding who you need to file with and when.

YES! Good point, Pepperpete! find out what those deadlines are! If most states block delegates because of rules violations, they will think twice about enforcing them beforehand.

Not to mention the embarrassment!

pinkmandy
04-12-2008, 12:10 PM
YES! Good point, Pepperpete! find out what those deadlines are! If most states block delegates because of rules violations, they will think twice about enforcing them beforehand.

Not to mention the embarrassment!

Exactly. :D Force them to play fair.

I think it could also be interesting if we had attorneys in each state combing through looking for violations. Hypothetically, our goal might not be to revoke the delegates, but just tie them up where they can't be in St. Paul. That's where I was heading with this thread. Is it possible?

nate895
04-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Exactly. :D Force them to play fair.

I think it could also be interesting if we had attorneys in each state combing through looking for violations. Hypothetically, our goal might not be to revoke the delegates, but just tie them up where they can't be in St. Paul. That's where I was heading with this thread. Is it possible?

Possible.

Odds are 1/1000 to have two or more states in one year break a rule.

pinkmandy
04-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Possible.

How do you figure these odds? We have Louisiana. We have shenanigans in Minnesota counties. Washington could be interesting. There has to be something we can do about it all.

brandon
04-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Possible.

wow , you really have way to much trust in the establishment. Many states are breaking the rules simply by having his name on the ballot. He did not colelct the requisite signatures in these states and is only on the ballot because he has applied for federal funding....

nate895
04-12-2008, 05:43 PM
wow , you really have way to much trust in the establishment. Many states are breaking the rules simply by having his name on the ballot. He did not colelct the requisite signatures in these states and is only on the ballot because he has applied for federal funding....

The reason why is that it has to BLATANT for them to rule in our favor. Anything less than a disgustingly obvious one will not do.

Sandra
04-12-2008, 06:03 PM
I read that McCain returned 3 million in donations recently. It looks at though he might be keeping the matching funds . I'll find the link.

pinkmandy
04-12-2008, 06:43 PM
The reason why is that it has to BLATANT for them to rule in our favor. Anything less than a disgustingly obvious one will not do.

It doesn't have to be blatant to tie them up. I'm pretty sure if there's any controversy delegates can't vote at the convention. Now whether or not they rule for/against is another thing but if the timing is right and allegations are being investigated maybe some delegates wouldn't be going to St Paul.