PDA

View Full Version : What do I do if a gun of mine was lost/stolen?

The Avatar of Time
04-12-2008, 08:39 AM
A few years back I had a Marlin Model 60 .22 stolen from me. There is a slight possibility that I lost it instead but I highly doubt that because I have never lost anything of value let alone a gun. Anyhow I never gave it much thought but since it was a registered gun what should I have actually done? Report it? Nothing? Just curious what would happen if someone got killed with it. Thanks.

The One
04-12-2008, 08:41 AM
You should have reported it.

Option #2 would have been to find the guy who stole it and kick the shit out of him.

Or both.

The Avatar of Time
04-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Oh, believe me I made a noble effort to find whoever it was, unfortunately my prime suspect up and moved off not to long after. Would it be wise to still report it as long as it's been? I was too embarrassed of having lost it at first to report it and then it just seemed like it had been too long, plus I still had hope of finding it.

Doktor_Jeep
04-12-2008, 12:57 PM
I know of several cases where people who reported a gun stolen managed to get it back decades later. Some jurisdictions will get the gun back to you if they trace it - but considering the love of disarmament the sate has these days it's probably not as likely to happen as it used to be.

JRegs85
04-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Sadly, I'm worried about the same thing happening to my guns. That would be a shame. You are probably required by law to report it, depending on your state.

The Avatar of Time
04-13-2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah, I suppose that I will get around and report it. I was also originally worried that I would be in some sort of trouble for having it get stolen to begin with. I did not know for sure if I would still be held accountable if it was used in a crime even if I reported and if that was the case then it would not make much difference whether I did or not. Plus it has been my experience that cops are not the people to get honest answers from. Maybe I worry a bit to much but I know that the government is not fond of us having guns for the most part.

Gideon
04-13-2008, 02:11 AM
I lost most of my guns in a boating incident, but I didn't report them stolen because I am hoping they will wash ashore some day.

porcupine
04-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Depends on your state law. If you're not required to report it, I wouldn't.

The Avatar of Time
04-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I lost most of my guns in a boating incident, but I didn't report them stolen because I am hoping they will wash ashore some day.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. I think you might end up having to do a bit of reblueing though. Perhaps even touch up the stain in a place or two. :)

Depends on your state law. If you're not required to report it, I wouldn't.

Well assuming that this site is accurate: http://www.stategunlaws.org/viewstate.php?st=KS

It doesn't look like we Kansans are required to report them. So I might just forget about.