PDA

View Full Version : Canvass in NC?

slacker921
04-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Would you be willing to come to NC and canvass? NC has traditionally been very independent minded (Mec Dec (http://www.meckdec.org/) for example) and has a large delegate pool (69 delegates).

The potential is that without ads running in NC and without any canvassing we will see Paul at or below 5% in the May 6th primary. This would give the delegates to the state convention absolutely no grounds to stand on for passing resolutions and getting Paul supporters sent on to the national convention.

It's clear that the Paul campaign is not going to support NC before the primary so unless grassroots steps up to the plate and does something McCain will walk away with a very solid win in a large state.

hopeforamerica
04-10-2008, 10:06 AM
If I lived close, I would do it in a heartbeat! I traveled to Las Vegas to canvass, but NC is too far for me. Hope others step up to the plate! Do you need materials? We have plenty of slim jims and flyers we could mail you. PM me with an address if you are interested.

GunnyFreedom
04-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Seriously, folks, we are loading up the delegates here, and a decent vote for us could 'pull the trigger' so to speak to backload the national convention with RP delegates.

MozoVote
04-10-2008, 12:19 PM
It costs around 22 cents a postcard to do a mass mailing, and that's probably the better option in a very large state like NC. Maybe ALPAC could do one specifically telling Republicans that the race is NOT over. That's probably the biggest issue - too many people have been misinformed by the main steam media that Paul dropped out.

The libertarian-leaning mountain counties and the collegiate-minded RTP area are probably the best spots to do a targeted mailing.

rancher89
04-10-2008, 12:24 PM
If you can't come here, please chip in for the newspaper or the hightide ads, anything you can do will be greatly welcomed.

I'm expecting that we will see large groups of dedicated South Carolinians come up and help us as we helped them, I'm willing to put up people if necessary. We don't have a lot of spare cash (having to borrow money to pay the dang taxes this year...) but can house and help feed folks :D

PM me

GunnyFreedom
04-10-2008, 02:51 PM
It costs around 22 cents a postcard to do a mass mailing, and that's probably the better option in a very large state like NC. Maybe ALPAC could do one specifically telling Republicans that the race is NOT over. That's probably the biggest issue - too many people have been misinformed by the main steam media that Paul dropped out.

The libertarian-leaning mountain counties and the collegiate-minded RTP area are probably the best spots to do a targeted mailing.

No way a mass mailing is effective as a canvass.

devil21
04-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Ive been wondering about this myself. When I signed up as a precinct leader I couldnt really justify canvassing 4 months before the primary. Seemed kinda pointless but I guess its now getting close to that time.

Why do you think the campaign isnt going to address NC, slacker? The primary is still nearly a month away and they are obviously focusing on PA right now. Im sure RP will make a visit or two to NC after PA is over. At least I hope he does.

GunnyFreedom
04-11-2008, 05:10 AM
Also, regarding college students,

The famous quote is that 'the definition is insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different outcomes.'

Since the beginning of this campaign we have focussed on college students.

That got us 5%.

Am I missing something here?

rancher89
04-11-2008, 05:43 AM
I agree, Gunny, about the students, although a great number of our active members are students. It does seem that we are missing our best targets.

I've heard about targeting the retirement centers, not the ones you usually think of, but the downsizing, enjoying their later years type of places. Did anyone ever really do that and did they have a way to figure out if that audience really still prefers the "Reagan" conservatism?

What about gun owners? From what I hear from friends that go to those things, the gun shows are all about 2nd amendment rights. The local gun shop is willing to put out RP slim jims. It sure wouldn't hurt if a major gun organization supported RP and activly did so.

When we canvassed in SC, the name that came up the most was Huck, are we doing enough to pull in those voters? Romney had a lot of support in the south also, but not like Huck did.

I just wish I had money to throw at the campaign here in NC, I'll just have to use sweat equity tho! I'm not complaining about how RP uses the money I've given his campaign, I just wish he'd spend a little here.......and not just a week before the primary. He really should come and stump a little with BJ, even tho it looks like BJ will win, I think it would be helpful overall.

Highland
04-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Canvasing in Macon County NC!

GunnyFreedom
04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
I agree, Gunny, about the students, although a great number of our active members are students. It does seem that we are missing our best targets.

I've heard about targeting the retirement centers, not the ones you usually think of, but the downsizing, enjoying their later years type of places. Did anyone ever really do that and did they have a way to figure out if that audience really still prefers the "Reagan" conservatism?

What about gun owners? From what I hear from friends that go to those things, the gun shows are all about 2nd amendment rights. The local gun shop is willing to put out RP slim jims. It sure wouldn't hurt if a major gun organization supported RP and activly did so.

When we canvassed in SC, the name that came up the most was Huck, are we doing enough to pull in those voters? Romney had a lot of support in the south also, but not like Huck did.

I just wish I had money to throw at the campaign here in NC, I'll just have to use sweat equity tho! I'm not complaining about how RP uses the money I've given his campaign, I just wish he'd spend a little here.......and not just a week before the primary. He really should come and stump a little with BJ, even tho it looks like BJ will win, I think it would be helpful overall.

I understand that the active college students tend to be VERY active, and are extremely helpful for the movement. However, the average college student just doesn't care, or votes Obama. Targeting college students has yielded zero effect.

In my area, targeting the GOP hard-liners seems to be very effective. Look at the state GOP platform - respect for the US Constitution is right on top of the party platform. Most state GOP platforms do not contain such. The national GOP platform sure doesn't.

http://www.ncgop.org/gopinformation/platform.asp

See #4 of the Preamble

4. We honor the original meaning of our Constitutions and the inalienable rights of the American people as recognized in the Bill of Rights and the North Carolina Declaration of Rights.

The GOP of NC are a very fertile ground for the message of Strict Constitutionalism. The tactic of "We can't change the GOP Nominee, but we can send Strict Constitutionalist delegates to the National Convention and really send a message to the party leadership and to our representatives in Washington DC" seems to be eaten up like gold plated candybars around here.

slacker921
04-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Ive been wondering about this myself. When I signed up as a precinct leader I couldnt really justify canvassing 4 months before the primary. Seemed kinda pointless but I guess its now getting close to that time.

Why do you think the campaign isnt going to address NC, slacker? The primary is still nearly a month away and they are obviously focusing on PA right now. Im sure RP will make a visit or two to NC after PA is over. At least I hope he does.

Because other than a small number of visits to PA the Paul campaign isn't campaigning in PA. They "scaled back" their campaigning. That's the plan that they've publicly stated. If you want campaigning then it's up to you.

Because early voting in NC starts in less than a week. If the campaign was going to do something in NC it would have started already. The Obama ads have already started here..

Also, a visit or two won't change the outcome much at all. A hundred might. Look at the campaign schedules for McCain in NH, or look at Hillary and Obama in PA. But.. a visit or two will give his supporters a chance to see him, hear him, meet him, get books signed, etc.. which is all good.

MozoVote
04-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Well I just coughed up $40 for the Ron Paul Newspaper project. Anyone that's not going to canvas should at least give to grassroots publicity efforts.

ronpaulhawaii
04-13-2008, 08:05 AM
http://www.ncgop.org/gopinformation/platform.asp

The GOP of NC are a very fertile ground for the message of Strict Constitutionalism. The tactic of "We can't change the GOP Nominee, but we can send Strict Constitutionalist delegates to the National Convention and really send a message to the party leadership and to our representatives in Washington DC" seems to be eaten up like gold plated candybars around here.

Great pitch!!!

Well I just coughed up $40 for the Ron Paul Newspaper project. Anyone that's not going to canvas should at least give to grassroots publicity efforts.

+$20.08 :)

GunnyFreedom
04-14-2008, 08:37 AM

Hey MozoVote - Thanks so much! When we get these things in and distributed, it will light up the canvass like nothing you have ever seen before! I know, I experienced it first-hand. Thanks again!

slacker921
04-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Gunny -- make sure some NC newspapers make it to the Concord meetup.

GunnyFreedom
04-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Gunny -- make sure some NC newspapers make it to the Concord meetup.

When they come in, I'll be trying to get with people around the state to get them distributed in the various areas. Make sure you keep in contact, and in the interim, start setting up people to roll, stuff, and throw.